Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think I'm out on my own in saying Im not a fan of the Metroidvania titles. Love Super Castlevania and I'm a huge fan of Bloodlines/New Generation.

Really? Even SOTN? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Really? Even SOTN? :eek:

Well SOTN gets a pass because it really is that good. But all the DS games etc, just never could get into them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    You mention Retroarch, but don't mention which Genesis/Megadrive core you used? Also, what hardware were you playing on? There's a Genesis/Megadrive core that has support for the audio low pass filter used in the Megadrive 1...but afaik you have to manually enable it via a config file line.

Not got a clue. Very slap dash to just get SoR working but the sound was pretty good!
    Well SOTN gets a pass because it really is that good. But all the DS games etc, just never could get into them

Oh the GBA/DS games Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow to a lesser extent are the only ones to hold a candle to SotN.

I wouldn't dismiss the whole genre though. Some of the best games made and indie games have been metroidvania although there's only a handful that reach the heights of SotN and Super Metroid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    gorgeous soundtrack ruined with crappy emulation.
    but the sound was pretty good!

:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In my defense it was far from an at games ****fest

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Belmontie

Cheaper to buy a raspberry pi and some wireless controllers.

I would recommend messaging and posting on their Facebook page. Sometimes that finally gets someone to respond to emails and calls

Thanks Jack tried all that I got one message saying they are behind on orders and mine will be out very soon.
    I even contacted someone on their fb page to ask if they’d actually received one and they sent a pic of it in their living room the persons account looked very genuine but it could all be a well put together scam. Funny enough their website is closed for maintenance and their fb page is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So I noticed something strange on my TV recently, it would go in and out of softening the pixels on the Mega Drive. I'm assuming this isn't a console fault, although I'll check the living room TV to rule out console, cable or TV.

I have absolutely everything on the TV set to off in terms of noise reduction, motion blur etc. I first noticed it on the title screen to Moonwalker, anytime "press start" flashed the pixels would all blur, then return to normal when the text disappeared. Then I noticed it on one of the stages of Streets of Rage 2, it was worse then as there was a lot more detail on screen.

It's a right pain considering I want the clearest picture possible :(

I must check the Saturn as that's also composite. The Dreamcast with RF is fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dreamcast... RF.... My gods....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dreamcast... RF.... My gods....

I know, but compared to the Mega Drive on composite it looks pretty good :P

I just couldn't be arsed getting a VGA to HDMI adaptor for this TV -_-

Master of the Universe

Jesus man, go and get yourself some RGB scart cables, stat! Almost all old consoles support them.

• Advertisement

Jesus man, go and get yourself some RGB scart cables, stat! Almost all old consoles support them.

The TV doesn't though! Composite, component, Scart and VGA all need expensive adaptors and there's no room for a CRT either.

I've looked into alternatives but they're all pricey.

Master of the Universe

So it only has RF and HDMI in? Sounds like one weird tv!

So it only has RF and HDMI in? Sounds like one weird tv!

It's a 4K LG. There's a few other random ports on it, some card port, USB etc. but it uses a 3.5mm adapter for composite and component. Surprised it doesn't have VGA though. I don't have the space for a CRT and the only other option seems to be the likes of the $60 HD Retrovision cable (plus shipping, tax, customs...) so I think I'm just gonna keep it as is.

Dreamcast and Saturn don't look so bad, it's just the Mega Drive that looks like garbage.

You need to do something because rf is utter garbage. The improvement with scart is insane and it improves all your games so whatever you do it's worth it.

Have a good check on the TV for a hidden slot.

I have a Panasonic and there was a good few connections hidden behind a plastic plate on the back of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Laser projector games!

6:55 it has a tempest clone, doesn't look the best

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want one and I want it now!!!

Master of the Universe

Oh my god :eek:

Have a good check on the TV for a hidden slot.

I have a Panasonic and there was a good few connections hidden behind a plastic plate on the back of the TV.

I've a brand new mid-range 4K LG here myself, & scart would appear to be nearing end of life on modern panels, possibly except very high end stuff. My one has x4 HDMI 2.2's, x3 USB ports, & a twin tuner...and that's it, no hidden compartments, no breakout boxes. I'd say at some stage soon, something like a Frameister or OSSC will become essential for anyone without a functional CRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've a brand new mid-range 4K LG here myself, & scart would appear to be nearing end of life on modern panels, possibly except very high end stuff. My one has x4 HDMI 2.2's, x3 USB ports, & a twin tuner...and that's it, no hidden compartments, no breakout boxes. I'd say at some stage soon, something like a Frameister or OSSC will become essential for anyone without a functional CRT.

My recent Sony 4k still has the one token SCART on it. Nice to have, but i dont see myself hooking up anything via scart to a 4k TV. It even has a rf port on the side :eek:
    I wonder what the rf would be like, might try something for a laugh :)

Master of the Universe

It's a strange one, I've never really thought about scart in itself vanishing. Too occupied with the impact of CRTs being discontinued to think about something so fundamental as scart being no more.

I guess production panels will probably continue to support RGB over BNC for the forseeable future. Will pick up a 30 inch Sony BVM-X300 4K set a few years down the line when they're no longer €50,000 :D

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I wonder what the rf would be like, might try something for a laugh :)

I've analogue VM being piped into mine (as well as a digital Sat feed), it's beyond horrible. The scaler in the tv is like, "gtfo" :D I'm very impressed with the upscaling of SD content and above though, I do like my 90's shows and was really hoping they wouldn't be cack to watch, & thankfully, they're quite fine...certainly no different to watching them on a full HD set anyway. The Sat channels are in a different league to the analogue channels.

Master of the Universe

It's sad that so many 90s shows just aren't able to be remastered in higher resolutions due to the way they were edited. You really need to hold onto a CRT if you want to watch DS9/Voyager and know what's going on in episodes.

It's sad that so many 90s shows just aren't able to be remastered in higher resolutions due to the way they were edited. You really need to hold onto a CRT if you want to watch DS9/Voyager and know what's going on in episodes.

If the source video isn't compressed, I find they upscale quite well on modern panels. Years ago I dumped all my physical media 1:1, no compression, and am very glad I did (though at the time it was soul destroying to do). The difference between an episode of something like DS9 that's ripped from disc, uncompressed, and an episode downloaded online, is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Oh the GBA/DS games Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow to a lesser extent are the only ones to hold a candle to SotN.

I wouldn't dismiss the whole genre though. Some of the best games made and indie games have been metroidvania although there's only a handful that reach the heights of SotN and Super Metroid.

I'm guessing SotN is one of those games you absolutely have to play the NTSC version to 'get' it, yeah? Got it off PSN ages ago and found the whole thing a bit of a step down compared to loving Aria of Sorrow, but copped Sony'd been selling emulated PAL version on the PSN store, so maybe that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

While we're on the top of vector graphics, here's MAME running really well via a Vecfever cartridge for the Vectrex which has a serial USB port:

Doge wrote: »
    here's MAME running really well via a Vecfever cartridge for the Vectrex which has a serial USB port:

An emulator running ON a flash cart? The conservatives around here will be up in arms I tells ya :D

An emulator running ON a flash cart? The conservatives around here will be up in arms I tells ya :D

Its a modified version of MAME running on a Macintosh in this case,
    and all the vector data is transferred via USB to the Vecfever cart which has its own processor to boost the speed of the Vectrex.

Sadly only a few of the Vecfever carts were made with the USB serial port, hopefully the developer will release them again in the future.

Its a modified version of MAME running on a Macintosh in this case,
    and all the vector data is transferred via USB to the Vecfever cart which has its own processor to boost the speed of the Vectrex.

Sadly only a few of the Vecfever carts were made with the USB serial port, hopefully the developer will release them again in the future.

Cool little project. I guess the advantage is you can run arcade based vector games, with the help of Mame & the additional processing

Cool little project. I guess the advantage is you can run arcade based vector games, with the help of Mame & the additional processing

Exactly. Much better than trying to emulate mame on the cartridge itself as that would run extremely slowly on the vectrex.

• Advertisement

While we're on the top of vector graphics, here's MAME running really well via a Vecfever cartridge for the Vectrex which has a serial USB port:

I wonder if my Vecflash can do that, it has a serial port on it, that can be connected via adapter to the usb port of a pc.
    Must experiment!

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'm guessing SotN is one of those games you absolutely have to play the NTSC version to 'get' it, yeah? Got it off PSN ages ago and found the whole thing a bit of a step down compared to loving Aria of Sorrow, but copped Sony'd been selling emulated PAL version on the PSN store, so maybe that's it?

Yeah, it feels like Alucard is moving through treacle. It's much closer to Aria of Sorrow speed when not butchered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cakes by Ruth, down by the marina I think.
    Good few people were impressed by it. There's another couple talking about getting a cake with a Rossi Lid on it for a wedding.
    Wouldn't be my thing but whatever makes em happy :)

I managed to sneak judge dredd and a couple of other superheroes on to my wedding cake ;)

I wonder if my Vecflash can do that, it has a serial port on it, that can be connected via adapter to the usb port of a pc.
    Must experiment!

If it could do that we'd already know about it! ;)

It also would lack an internal cpu to boost the vectrex.

Going to pick up a PSP and games. Mostly because I want to play Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins again.

Whats the best model to get?

Going to pick up a PSP and games. Mostly because I want to play Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins again.

3000 is the best model.

And please play the Japanese re-release on UGn'G. Really did not like the western release of that game.

3000 is the best model.

And please play the Japanese re-release on UGn'G. Really did not like the western release of that game.

Controller problems again? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Apparently the version of Malcolm in The Middle on Netflix uses a really strange widescreen cut that was never meant for broadcast and has lots of odd things to the left and right of the frame that you were never meant to see.

2qDafBH.jpg

CeX seem to do decent prices on these, €65 for the 3000 black model.

A bit better than what eBay sellers are trying to foot them for and the 2 year warranty is nice too.

A bit better than what eBay sellers are trying to foot them for and the 2 year warranty is nice too.

I get paid tomorrow so I'll go up to my local and take a look, thanks

• Advertisement

They also don't test them properly unfortunately. Best to only ever buy in person so at the very least you can see the condition of them, make sure check the UMD drive, Memory Stick slot, WiFi connects and WiFi/power switch a couple of times. Also check the charger port isn't loose and check that the screen doesn't have any burn on it. Check under the battery for a "RepairIT" warranty sticker and avoid it like the plague. (Not to sound like a broken record here, just make sure to give it a solid testing to safe yourself the hassle!)

Looking to pick one up myself and the 3000 model is definitely the best one to get.

By far and away the best PSP to get is a 1st gen Vita with oled screen, running firmware 3.60 or less, so you can run Adrenaline - this takes over the built in PSP functionality that exists within the Vita, and makes it run an actual PSP CFW, turning it into, well, the perfect PSP. The difference when played side by side (something I've done myself) is incredible, particularly the silky smooth framerate, you'd be hard pressed to bother with a PSP again afterwards.

Also works on the Vita TV if you happen to have one running a firmware of 3.60 or less.

CeX do sell the 1st gen Vita, but as above, it'd need a thorough inspection - more so than a PSP would arguably. Also, if it's on a firmware higher than 3.60, it's not a runner for Adrenaline or any of the latest Vita exploits (technically you can now go higher than 3.60 on an exploited PSP, but it must have been exploited first, which is unlikely when buying from somewhere like CeX).

Controller problems again? :P

Just not a very good game.

CeX do sell the 1st gen Vita, but as above, it'd need a thorough inspection - more so than a PSP would arguably. Also, if it's on a firmware higher than 3.60, it's not a runner for Adrenaline or any of the latest Vita exploits (technically you can now go higher than 3.60 on an exploited PSP, but it must have been exploited first, which is unlikely when buying from somewhere like CeX).

How do the emulators on the Vita compare to PSP?

I would have thought the PSP emulators were in a more mature state but I suppose the Vita has more grunt.

How do the emulators on the Vita compare to PSP?

I would have thought the PSP emulators were in a more mature state but I suppose the Vita has more grunt.

No idea, I wouldn't bother much with emulation on the PSP or the Vita tbh. I just know the Vita is a better PSP than the PSP is :D In Adrenaline, the Vita switches to PSP mode, but instead of the default PSP mode, it instead runs a full PSP eCFW meaning you boot right into the PSP dash, as if the Vita were a souped up PSP. From there you are free to load whatever PSP content you wish.

The hard part is finding a 1st gen on firmware 3.60 or less, & I only say 1st gen because they had the fancy OLED screen, which was later replaced with a standard LCD for the Slim release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Guys

Can I ask a question abut a sega megadrive everdrive error I'm getting ?

Thanks

Fire ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

When I go to select a game I am getting "sel error 50 " ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

ebbsy wrote: »
    When I go to select a game I am getting "sel error 50 " ?

Thanks

Something up with the SD card, try reformat or a different one, is your cart a clone or legit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement