Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Something up with the SD card, try reformat or a different one, is your cart a clone or legit?

€25 from China....

Could be faulty, this is a problem with the clones.. try another sd card or reformat that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Just got a c64 and one of the buttons is missing its spring, would any one have a spare spring save me buying a set online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Just back from Rampage.
    Thought it was good and better than I expected, well worth a look.

Probably the best film adaptation of a video game i've seen, but I haven't seen mortal Kombat yet believe it or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Don't think that's official artwork.

Doesn't the skull belong to its mother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

I see the famed Switch exploits have been released today. Disappointing really, to have the system blown wide open after just over a year of life. Ninty were in a predicament though, do you 1) invest more in security and custom components in an effort to stronghold the system, or 2) invest in off the shelf, well documented components which will keep the price down, but at the risk of hacking/exploiting?

Bootrom exploit detailed - http://wololo.net/2018/04/23/nintendo-switch-tegra-x1-bootrom-leaked-precipitate-custom-firmware-release/
    fail0verflow's ShofEL2 - http://wololo.net/2018/04/24/nintendo-switch-fail0verflow-release-shofel2-nvidia-tegra-exploit-along-linux-switch/
    ktemkin releases her Fusée Gelée exploit - http://wololo.net/2018/04/24/nintendo-switch-ktemkin-releases-fusee-gelee-exploit-chain-compatible-firmwares-writeup/

Also there's a custom firmware called Atmosphere on the horizon, due for release in a few months - http://wololo.net/2018/04/24/atmosphere-cfw-nintendo-switch-not-ready-yet-now-everyone-can-help/

Nintendo hasn't done well with cd-based systems in terms of their security really, the GameCube, the Wii, the Wii U, and now the Switch have all been blown wide open. Their handhelds too, the DS & the 3DS have both been heavily compromised too, the former explicitly so. Was it a no-in scenario for Ninty then, in an effort to keep the cost of the Switch down, was is inevitable that it'd be hacked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully they can block them with firmware updates so hacking isn't as widespread as the DS. The DS has one of the best gaming libraries of all time and was cut short due to piracy. Totally ruined the market and companies bailed from the system. Would hate to see the same happen to the switch.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hopefully they can block them with firmware updates so hacking isn't as widespread as the DS. The DS has one of the best gaming libraries of all time and was cut short due to piracy. Totally ruined the market and companies bailed from the system. Would hate to see the same happen to the switch.

Can't be patched with firmware, it's a hardware vulnerability in the Tegra X1 chip from Nvidia...and is the bootloader, so step 1 in the chain of trust. It'll take a hardware revision to fix it they're saying.

Can only be patched by a hardware revision is whats being claimed. Gives bootloader access

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Total **** up then.

Really going to ruin the Switch if an easy method of playing pirate games like a SD card reader is launched. It will kill the system stone dead in 2 years.

Nintendo have the money to invest in proper system security and time and time again they refuse to do so and this is always the result.
    My sympathy is somewhat limited for them

Nintendo have the money to invest in proper system security and time and time again they refuse to do so and this is always the result.
    My sympathy is somewhat limited for them

I'm more thinking about the potential of the machine. DS support dive bombed after it was hacked. The same will happen to switch and it's only a year old.

Total **** up then.

Really going to ruin the Switch if an easy method of playing pirate games like a SD card reader is launched. It will kill the system stone dead in 2 years.

I'd say running software off of a usb stick or external hdd is pretty much a guarantee at this point. The make or break will be how easy this is to do, and by all accounts, it's very, very easy.

It will kill the system stone dead in 2 years.

I dunno, online services/multiplayer are what people want these days. Ninty mightn't be able to patch the vulnerability, but if they have any cop on at all they'll ensure modified consoles won't be able to play online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I must confess I only invest in these systems WHEN they get hacked.

I would have thought 99.5% of people who have these handhelds/consoles don't hack them in any case. Doing the 3DS was relatively finicky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nintendo need to kill the modded systems, and can use the upcoming online service to do it.
    Then provide plenty of value in making sure your system has legit firmware and can go online.

Inviere wrote: »
    I dunno, online services/multiplayer are what people want these days. Ninty mightn't be able to patch the vulnerability, but if they have any cop on at all they'll ensure modified consoles won't be able to play online.

Online services and triple A online nonsense is what I was hoping wouldn't be on switch and is kind of not what I except from Nintendo. If they've hacked the system as bad as it looks you'll have custom servers with patches like on the Wii.
    I must confess I only invest in these systems WHEN they get hacked.

I would have thought 99.5% of people who have these handhelds/consoles don't hack them in any case. Doing the 3DS was relatively finicky.

3DS was a pain to hack but this low level could end up with R4 card levels of ease.

• Advertisement

Online services and triple A online nonsense is what I was hoping wouldn't be on switch and is kind of not what I except from Nintendo. If they've hacked the system as bad as it looks you'll have custom servers with patches like on the Wii.

3DS was a pain to hack but this low level could end up with R4 card levels of ease.
    Look at modding a 3ds now. It's been streamlined to a point nearly anyone can do it within 30 minutes
    I'd doubt Nintendo have an effective way of banning consoles from online. There'll be spoofers out soon after they start banning

3DS isn't riddled with piracy though. 3DS level is sustainable for Nintendo but a plug and play solution that any technophobe mother can work like an r4 will destroy the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Currently bidding on a complete in box, unused Dreamcast arcade stick. Almost didn't see it as it's in the international listings down the bottom. The cheapest one listed is €78 with shipping, my bid is a bit below that so I won't be surprised if I lose it. Not too pushed but it would be nice to have the box and everything.

Pricey enough considering I only have Marvel Vs Capcom 1 and 2, but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Rick Dickinson has died, he was suffering from cancer. He was the designer behind the Sinclair ZX80, ZX81 and ZX Spectrum amongst others, he also designed the case and keyboard for the Spectrum Next that's due this year. Very sad news, RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

some retro gaming t-shirts in the Qwertee sale

https://www.qwertee.com/shop?sort=price

Cool video of a rather not so cool Sega VHS based racing game from BGO's long lost twin brother - RetroManCave

Anyone been following the Dreampii project? It's a raspberry pii that lets you play DC games over the internet as if the service was still running. Not much interest in it myself but might interest some people. They've got quite a few games running on it and host games nights once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anyone been following the Dreampii project? It's a raspberry pii that lets you play DC games over the internet as if the service was still running. Not much interest in it myself but might interest some people. They've got quite a few games running on it and host games nights once a week.

Ya its an interesting project alright, as its a dialup simulator its possibly a solution to Saturn online gaming as well.
    Although last time I checked the Saturn modems were a bit too expensive for my liking..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ya its an interesting project alright, as its a dialup simulator its possibly a solution to Saturn online gaming as well.
    Although last time I checked the Saturn modems were a bit too expensive for my liking..
    Following? I have it on my browser tabs for months now. It's always exciting whenever they bring an online game back from the dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Discord has been good for reviving a lot of old multi games. I was playing a bit of Daikatana DM for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So my computer has finally kicked the bucket.

This has been a long time coming. Unfortunately I've just put in a big tshirt order today aswell

So expect a nice big post in the sales thread tomorrow :(

Looks like capcom and Iam8bit have joined forces to produce 30th Anniversary playable carriages of Mega Man 2 for the NES and Megaman X for the NTSC SNES:

https://store.iam8bit.com/collections/mega-man-cartridge-collection/products/mega-man-2-30th-anniversary-classic-cartridge

MMX_STOREIMG_SET_large.png?v=1525135148

MM2_STOREIMG_SET_large.png?v=1525135193

A bit pricey at $100 but limited to 8500 copies of each and they ship in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Y u do dis?! Didn't know about this 10 minutes ago and now I'm looking into ordering the Megaman 2 cart!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What's the advantage of that cart over my original Megaman 2 cart for the PAL Nes?

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What's the advantage of that cart over my original Megaman 2 cart for the PAL Nes?

Its new and limited! :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Its new and limited! :D

Not enough for me!

I'll probably sell MM2 and get Rockman 2 instead, so my collected titles from the 8 bit series all match!

Master of the Universe

See someone actually got a 3X3 hantarex videowall going again over on the crt collective on Facebook? It's amazing. I'd post a pic but am on my phone!

Just saw it.

It is ****ing amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pretty good but I couldn't play anything on that with all those bezels.

• Advertisement

Don't imagine you'd play much, just enter your name and that's all you need

screen-shot-2011-11-30-at-1-11-12-am.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I see the NeoGeo desktop arcade thing was leaked.

hqdefault.jpg

snk-neo-geo.png

I love the look of that! Hopefully the hardware plays well

I love the look of that! Hopefully the hardware plays well

Some people were complaining it only has 4 buttons. It's a NeoGeo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

That's gonna be expensive...

Master of the Universe

It's a mini candy SC-19????

Ahhh why couldn't it be something **** so I wouldn't have to buy it?!

Pity they didn't go for a 7" screen instead of the 3.5". But depending on what hardware is inside I think i might go for it anyway.

Master of the Universe

If the screen is only 3.5 it's going to be far smaller than I'd originally thought :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First thoughts are that the screen is far too small to interest me. 3.5" is even smaller than a standard phone screen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

o1s1n wrote: »
    If the screen is only 3.5 it's going to be far smaller than I'd originally thought :(

The joystick is going to tiny too if those specs and design image are accurate. It seems to have HDMI out but with that, I think I'd prefer it to have no screen and a bigger joystick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement