Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It'll be closer in size to a tabletop game like Astro Wars than an bartop.
    But looking at the pics the screen looks like a 4:3 3.5" lcd. Hard to find them these days so if thats true it will seem bigger than a widescreen 3.5".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hopefully too a controller port or most of those games are going to get really boring all on one's lonesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Seen as there's a few Star Wars fans here, here's an Irish fan made short film from the perspective of the Stormtroopers thats about 15 minutes long.

It was filmed in Cork, Waterford and Tipperary and as far as fan made flicks of Star Wars go, its the best one out there imo.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057868689

hqdefault.jpg
    No Street Hoop on it. ****ing disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Is there at least one original Gauntlet arcade machine floating around over here?

Infernum wrote: »
    Is there at least one original Gauntlet arcade machine floating around over here?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

yes

Sweet. Where could I find one?

Infernum wrote: »
    Sweet. Where could I find one?

no idea,
    There was one for sale on adverts at one stage so it must be around somewhere.

A bit of a weird question maybe, but its retro related in that I want to store retro stuff on it :)

Does anyone have one of the below Billy bookcase corner units? And if so could i use it upside down? I need the reverse of what they have, and flipping it over is the easiest way to do it.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/storage-furniture/bookcases/billy-bookcase-black-brown-spr-29020470/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

dont think you would need to flip it would you? just put the corner piece on the opposite side? it looks like just 3xnormal billy bookcases with one corner unit that should be swapable to the right side?

if you click the "9 packages" you can see its just 3 billy bookcase, a skinnier one and the corner brackets, so id say its swapable to the opposite side.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=Corner+fittings+BILLY

dont think you would need to flip it would you? just put the corner piece on the opposite side? it looks like just 3xnormal billy bookcases with one corner unit that should be swapable to the right side?

if you click the "9 packages" you can see its just 3 billy bookcase, a skinnier one and the corner brackets, so id say its swapable to the opposite side.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=Corner+fittings+BILLY

Ahh, that would make life easier :)
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I see the Neo Geo mini arcade thingy has been officially released.

The Japanese version with the sc-19 control panel looks far nicer than the Western release.

https://kotaku.com/snk-announces-the-neo-geo-mini-will-play-40-games-1825908512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

o1s1n wrote: »

The Japanese version with the sc-19 control panel looks far nicer than the Western release.

Why is the screen so small and no Ikari games on it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to wonder, it might have been nice to have seen this as a dock for the Switch, seeing as most of those games have been released on that format and it has a bigger screen than the now revealed device.
    They are releasing the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection on the Switch, as a physical cart too.
    Perhaps it's now ripe for some Aliexpress entrepreneur to make such a thing, after all it would really just be a bluetooth controller and a place to slot the console.
    ebbsy wrote: »
    The compilation comes with all of the Ikari games on it!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have to wonder, it might have been nice to have seen this as a dock for the Switch, seeing as most of those games have been released on that format and it has a bigger screen than the now revealed device.
    They are releasing the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection on the Switch, as a physical cart too.
    Perhaps it's now ripe for some Aliexpress entrepreneur to make such a thing, after all it would really just be a bluetooth controller and a place to slot the console.

The compilation comes with all of the Ikari games on it!

But are they on the mini ?

Master of the Universe

ebbsy wrote: »
    But are they on the mini ?

It would be out of place tbh.

It's being billed as a mini Neo Geo MVS arcade machine, all the games on the list are MVS titles.

Would be like wondering why the original Mario Bros isn't on the Super Nintendo mini, it's just not a game that was meant for that system.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

It would be out of place tbh.

It's being billed as a mini Neo Geo MVS arcade machine, all the games on the list are MVS titles.

Would be like wondering why the original Mario Bros isn't on the Super Nintendo mini, it's just not a game that was meant for that system.
    ...does mario allstars count?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Dr Bob wrote: »

As it is the superior version*, it absolutely counts!

*Speedrunners may disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Ahh, that would make life easier :)
    Cheers

As Optimus prime said it can be set up with the main units either side.
    It comes as 3 wide units and 1 corner unit and is set up as desired.
    i have attached a pic of my own Billy set up, it really is a versatile bit of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Dr Bob wrote: »

As it is the superior version*, it absolutely counts!

*Speedrunners may disagree

Wonky physics can go to hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anyone here have an N64 hooked up to a modern TV?

I have a Japanese N64 that looks pretty crap through composite (obviously!). I know you have to RGB mod the console if you want it and s video seems to the best 'easy' solution; Problem is, my 4K TV doesn't have s video.

Would one of these do the trick and not interfere with the quality?

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/RGB-Scart-to-Composite-RCA-S-Video-AV-TV-Camera-Audio-Adapter-svideo-034/291959884181?hash=item43fa2a4995:g:w6AAAOSw6ShZSIyH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had awful buzzing coming from my famicom that was really distracting. Thought it might be caps going.

Turns out it was just the microphone volume set to high...

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Had awful buzzing coming from my famicom that was really distracting. Thought it might be caps going.

Turns out it was just the microphone volume set to high...

I made that mistake myself when I first got my one :o

Master of the Universe

Had the misfortune of watching Ready Player One last night.

I've never seen a film try so hard to be cool...and fail. Almost spat out my drink when I realised at the end that Spielberg directed it.

It was just two and a half hours of shoe horned references without any reason at all other than being fan service fap fodder.

As a fan of many of the references I couldn't even enjoy them due to the way things had to be constantly spelled out by the cast.

'ITS KANEDAS BIKE FROM AKIRA!'

Yes, we know. We have eyes. How stupid do you think your audience is?

Oh man,
    Can't believe you made it too the end!!!
    Absolute muck,
    Turned it off with an hour too go.
    Brain dead

Hehe and I thought had the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie.

I really enjoyed it.

The book is somehow worse.

Oh man,
    Can't believe you made it too the end!!!
    Absolute muck,
    Turned it off with an hour too go.
    Brain dead

Watches half a movie ->> entire movie must be sh1t! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Doge wrote: »
    Probably didn't get to that certain scene which I won't blut out because it's probably the best in the entire movie.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Probably didn't get to that certain scene which I won't blut out because it's probably the best in the entire movie.

I can't remember any scene which I would refer to as 'good'? (And I watched the when thing)

Maybe the end credits? :D

I haven't seen it yet but I probably will eventually.
    If it's nothing but fan service for nerds like me I'll probably enjoy it know I'm being manipulated!

Terrible argument !
    If I ate half a bucket of ****e I'd be fairly certain the other half would taste ****e :D

I'd rater eat a bucket of ****e than watch the rest of that film!!!!!:D:D

Terrible argument !
    If I ate half a bucket of ****e I'd be fairly certain the other half would taste ****e :D

I'll take that bet...

I can have a full bucket ready by the afternoon...

Master of the Universe

If it's nothing but fan service for nerds like me I'll probably enjoy it know I'm being manipulated!

Fan service is grand, it's just the way it's implemented in this is painful! :D

Terrible argument !

The film took a bit of a nose dive half way through but got back up to speed in the 2nd half hence my point.

It got 7.8 out of 10 on IMDb so chances are you'll enjoy it.

I think o1s1n and Brown Finger are just being drama queens as usual! :p

I haven't seen it yet, but I assume it's one of those films you need to watch in the cinema or home cinema due to the "spectacle"?

Anyone see Retro Game Designer on Kickstarter?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orionsoft/retro-game-designer

I'm no expert on programming matters but this seems highly dubious. Am I wrong to think that?

• Advertisement

Anyone see Retro Game Designer on Kickstarter?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orionsoft/retro-game-designer

I'm no expert on programming matters but this seems highly dubious. Am I wrong to think that?

Seems a bit too good to be true but the developer has some releases and projects on retro game consoles so he at least has credentials for it.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it yet, but I assume it's one of those films you need to watch in the cinema or home cinema due to the "spectacle"?

Its fairly heavy on the visuals alright, and is meant to be great in 3D, although I didnt have the option of viewing it in 3D at my local cinema.

I'll probably pick up the 3D Bluray at some point and watch it on the Rift via the BigScreen app.

Master of the Universe

It got 7.8 out of 10 on IMDb so chances are you'll enjoy it.

I think o1s1n and Brown Finger are just being drama queens as usual! :p

Sorry if my impeccable taste offends you :p

Master of the Universe

Hmmm, I've the option of picking up a 20 inch BVM for 350 +50 delivery.

350 sounds fine but when you tack on the extra 50, 400 just sounds so much more mental.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

350 sounds fine but when you tack on the extra 50, 400 just sounds so much more mental.

Jayzus is that what they go for these days?? What make and model is it?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jayzus is that what they go for these days?? What make and model is it?

20F1E, not sure on the hours.

Yeah they're pretty in vogue at the moment, should have bought one years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

If you want me to talk you out of it ,its one of the ones without speakers !:pac:

20F1E, not sure on the hours.

Yeah they're pretty in vogue at the moment, should have bought one years ago!
    AW7X2nQEWVRofZbzNi_ATv-hLI4=.gif
    geotrig wrote: »
    If you want me to talk you out of it ,its one of the ones without speakers !:pac:
    Any good ones out there available for a low enough price? I was thinking when I do eventually get one, I'd buy a two channel receiver and a pair of speakers, and go from there.

Master of the Universe

geotrig wrote: »

Haha!

That's like trying to talk me out of a Jaleco Pony as it only has a mono speaker :D

Do it! Heres some pics from my Sony PVM 20L4 running a pi2scart

29zvhpi.jpg

1zpi06c.jpg

j979ep.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement