Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was in GameStop Balbriggan this afternoon, the staff there seem a real decent bunch and know their games, new, retro and otherwise.
    Had a good chat there with them on all things Zelda and Nintendo in general.
    Worth a visit if only because it reminds me of what working in Gameworld used to be like, when people knew more than just how to push game insurance and loyalty cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's something really frustrating about seeing any Sonic game after Sonic 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's something really frustrating about seeing any Sonic game after Sonic 3.

Sonic & Knuckles doesn't float your boat?
    Or is that really Sonic 3.5?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sonic & Knuckles doesn't float your boat?
    Or is that really Sonic 3.5?

I actually had it in my head that S&K came first for some reason! But sure it really is just the second half of Sonic 3 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looking to send a Jamma board to the US, any recommendations on getting it there safely ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Bubble wrap and tracking numbers?

I got 1942 from cyprus, wasnt properly wrapped at all. Box was kinda bendy too, booo

Looking for reliable couriers :) Bubble wrap ? can I not just put a stamp on it :)

Looking for reliable couriers :) Bubble wrap ? can I not just put a stamp on it :)

And a postcard maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Looking to send a Jamma board to the US, any recommendations on getting it there safely ?

Used pizza box, bit of newspaper and a few stamps. Sorted.

Also :
    http://www.ebay.com/gds/Safe-shipping-and-handling-of-arcade-PCBs-and-ICs-/10000000001875999/g.html

Anti static bags seem to be good.
    Styrofoam causes static so bubble wrap is best.

• Advertisement

Decided to stop derailing the raspberry pi thread.

New SD2IEC for Commodores looks gorgeous:

http://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/commodore/sd2iec-rc64.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Believe it or not, I once received a SF2CE(thankfully a bootleg) wrapped in brown paper with a stamp on it, it actually survived prety well, the postman gave out about the sharp bits(siolder side) sticking into the other letters and hurting his hands lol.

I also received a WRC in a pizza box with the remains of a pizza still in there

Believe it or not, I once received a SF2CE(thankfully a bootleg) wrapped in brown paper with a stamp on it, it actually survived prety well, the postman gave out about the sharp bits(siolder side) sticking into the other letters and hurting his hands lol.

I also received a WRC in a pizza box with the remains of a pizza still in there

That was a delivery of legend.
    Plus, who knew Dominos did Jamma boards with a selection of dips and complimentary garlic bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

That was a delivery of legend.
    Plus, who knew Dominos did Jamma boards with a selection of dips and complimentary garlic bread.
    I was so confused by the whole thing. After 3 attempts of eating it I finally realised it was actually my ebay purchase and not the pizza I hadn't ordered:o

Hello, Dominos?
    This kick harness is very tough, just broke a crown on the connector board as well!
    The Bubble Bobble was otherwise delicious!

Feck it, I'll use UPS and a buttload of bubble wrap. Buyer can either pay for decent shipping or not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hello, Dominos?
    This kick harness is very tough, just broke a crown on the connector board as well!
    The Bubble Bobble was otherwise delicious!

I only eat cave PCBs. They're my caviar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I double box them, got some antistaic boxes too, better safe than sorry, Take photos of the packaging too.

Managed to get a decent Dell switch box at work with should fit nicely... think I've a large static bag somewhere.. or was that tinfoil..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

RIP Leonard Nimoy :'0(

250px-Leonard_Nimoy.png

Edit:
    His last tweet:

_81299728_81299727.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    RIP Leonard Nimoy :'0(

:(

Whenever I think of Nimoy, that scene in STVI always comes to mind where he slaps the phaser out of Valeris' hand....such a subtle but powerful scene. RIP :(

LLAP. RIP.

Wow, sad news indeed.

I suppose Shatner will be all pissy because of the attention, probably bitch about Nimoy going first on purpose!
    Too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just watched that this second. Sad day indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Any idea where I'd pick up a cheap/broken 001 SP? I'm thinking about doing the frontlight mod on the GBC I picked up. I've had a look on ebay, but the shipping alone is pretty steep. I might drop in to the shops in town and see if they have anything lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Saw one of these in the wild yesterday, really nice looking unit!

http://www.arcade-game-sales.com/news/images/tekken-6-machines/175.jpg

Star Lord wrote: »

Nice alright. Though I must admit, modern arcade machines have lost most of the 'magic' for me. Under the skin, I know they're just pc's with big widescreen lcd monitors. For me, part of it is knowing there's a bespoke board in there hooked up to a big old crt.

Nice! Was that in the free state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nice! Was that in the free state?

Palmerstown Superdome.

Its the build of the unit I like more than the tech, it's a good looking machine. But yeah big LCD screen. They had another candy down near the back corner, I'm not familiar enough with them to know which it was, but was one of the SEGAs.
    Had a blast of Time Crisis 3 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Palmerstown Superdome.

Its the build of the unit I like more than the tech, it's a good looking machine. But yeah big LCD screen. They had another candy down near the back corner, I'm not familiar enough with them to know which it was, but was one of the SEGAs.
    Had a blast of Time Crisis 3 too.
    Or as Hulk Hogan might call it, the Palmerstown Silverdome.

What other cabinets do they have there? I might go if and when The Hateful Eight gets a 70mm print screening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Yeah, saw that the other week, looks the business.
    The kick starter videos are suitably bonkers as the lead developer obviously is.
    But he has a love for his creation and no love for those who interfered with his vision of alien hip hop stereotypes!
    I quite liked the Xbox game though, it was a sight better than the first sequel and the gods awful Menacer game.

I was a massive fan of the original,
    Looks good but I dont do preorder anymore :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Brother spotted this parked up while in China last week

photo-20150301_225028_zpscyvy4ru5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I quite liked the Xbox game though, it was a sight better than the first sequel and the gods awful Menacer game.

With Ready Aim Tomatoes they did as good a job as they could have within the budget constraints that are obvious in the other 5 games on the cart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Probably need to pull down the in game sound a bit in future, but here's a play through of Treasure Island Dizzy on the NES that I recorded the other day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Part 2 up now. Playing on a Famicom so no save states... so every time I died I had to start over from the beginning again. It's very easy to die!

The Arkham games (Asylum, City & Origins)...what's the best console format to pick those up on? Are the Wii U versions of City & Origins significantly better than 360/PS3?

Don't think there's any significant difference. You can probably skip the second two games though, first is by far the best ;) (although I haven't played Origins)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Arkham games (Asylum, City & Origins)...what's the best console format to pick those up on? Are the Wii U versions of City & Origins significantly better than 360/PS3?

PC versions are significantly better than any console version. Rocksteady really did some great work on those versions with lots of graphical niceties.

As for console like all unreal games 360 is the way to go. PS3 has some technical issues.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PC versions are significantly better than any console version. Rocksteady really did some great work on those versions with lots of graphical niceties.

As for console like all unreal games 360 is the way to go. PS3 has some technical issues.

Cheers Retr0, that'll do nicely. I have Asylum & City on Steam I think, just looking to pick up console variants at some stage & was wondering which route to go. What of the Wii U variants?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Myrddin wrote: »
    Cheers Retr0, that'll do nicely. I have Asylum & City on Steam I think, just looking to pick up console variants at some stage & was wondering which route to go. What of the Wii U variants?

Supposedly they're a bit shoddy, somewhere between PS3 and 360.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Supposedly they're a bit shoddy, somewhere between PS3 and 360.

Cheers dude, 360 it is :)

I have City on the WiiU and it seems fine, much the same as the PS3 version I already tried.
    Origins arrived this morning from Amazon having cost less than a tenner posted, also for the WiiU.

Just a final question on these Arkham games, is it worth buying the GotY editions is buying pre-owned? As in, is the included DLC on-disc, or is it redeem codes does any know?

With the 360 and PS3 titles it seems to red dead code redemption the whole way baby!
    On the WiiU however, the DLC is included, at least with my copy of Arkham City.
    A new GOTY copy of Arkham Asylum would be cheap enough though, and pretty excellent stuff.
    I really enjoyed it in the end, perhaps more than the sequel so far.
    I found the non sandbox to be a better fit than the vast space available in AC, which just gets filled with GTA style fetch missions repeatedly.
    The combat, as I've said before, feels a little detached.
    Yes, Batman is a brute in a fight, beating the snot out of his assailants, but I never really felt like I was doing the thrashing, it felt a little like a QTE thing, press X now and watch Bats do something cool, now press Y and see another cool thing.
    I'm not sure I'm explaining it right but it seemed to less of a factor in AC than in AA, though I still preferred the environment in AA to play in.

The combat in the Batman games is pretty dreadful but it's got so much variety that it never bogs it down and the stealth sections are fantastic. Still it annoys me when games base their whole game on that crappy combat system :/ In a world where Bayonetta 2 and Metal Gear Revengeance exist Batman combat can feck off.

City to me was a massive step down in quality. The asylum felt like a coherent, natural setting (just let the lunatics run the place and you're away!). City felt far more contrived as a location - increased scale, yes, but lacking in the coherency of the original (you could tell it was more of a strain trying to conjure up believable stealth arenas). The combat also felt airier and less impactful than the more visceral brawls of the first. And the Catwoman stuff was totally superfluous, just these random sequences awkwardly interrupting the actual game every so often.

But City's biggest crime was the sheer amount of mindless busy work. Asylum put a lot of effort into making secrets and even collectibles fun and interesting to track down. With City there was just 100s of arbitrary trinkets scattered around the place, and worse they locked some of the game's best content behind increasingly ludicrous riddler trophy demands. It's just wasting the player's time and energy with non-content. They're a distraction even when you try to ignore them.

That said, I'm looking forward to Arkham Knight despite the let down of the last game (Origins Im not really counting). Look like they've really tried to make use out of the next-gen capabilities, and taken the time to build a more interesting game. Fingers crossed, and looks like the sort of game that will give my PC a good workout too :)

As an aside, playing Shadow of Mordor at the moment, which 'borrows' the Batman series' combat. Despite all the praise that's lavished upon it, I just don't get what everyone sees in it. A bland setting, derivative gameplay and far too much skill-free brawling. The whole Sauron's Army thing is novel enough, but hardly deserving the enthusiasm that the game has enjoyed. Does it click at some late point or Something???

• Advertisement

I bowed out well before it but apparently it becomes fun once you get mind control powers or something which also break the game and make it really easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement