Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ebay ended auctions are made for this.

Go into advanced settings and click the box that shows you sold items. You can then see what people are paying for something.

100%

Check sold listings on eBay to see what people are actually paying. There’ll always be a couple of games that’ll have a buy it now of €7,000 but realistically nobody is paying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

100%

Check sold listings on eBay to see what people are actually paying. There’ll always be a couple of games that’ll have a buy it now of €7,000 but realistically nobody is paying that

On another comepetely unrelated note, if anyone’s selllng an iPhone 7 Plus for reasonable money hit me up. I need to be able to take more fire selfies and my current iPhone isn’t cutting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

New Vita exploit about to be released. The Vita when modded, and has Adrenaline installed, becomes the ultimate PSP. Just for anyone wondering about picking one up, you previously needed to find one on a low firmware...now you don’t http://wololo.net/2018/06/16/theflow-to-release-his-psvita-pstv-fw-3-65-3-68-hack-on-july-1-2018-the-september-eta-is-no-more-so-get-ready-to-hack-your-psvita-pstv/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sounds like time to CFW both the PS Vita and the PSTV doodad.
    Then get them loaded with the array of Shmups... that I already own... natch....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll probably do this just for the final fantasy tactics widescreen and slowdown fix.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll probably do this just for the final fantasy tactics widescreen and slowdown fix.

I found PSP games running through Adrenaline have way smoother frame rates, less to no slowdown, and look a lot better to boot. There’s also fan translations of Vita games too :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A couple of nice Capcom compilations on the PSP!
    An emulator running on an emulator running on my PSTV!

Again, nice thing may be the Playstation games that, reshelled, run very well on the PSP, now coming to the PS Vita/TV.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    An emulator running on an emulator running on my PSTV.

Adrenaline isn’t a PSP emulator, it takes advantage of the Vita’s ability to natively run PSP firmware, and improves upon it. The Vita in every sense, becomes a real PSP except with better specs, better controls, and a better screen.

Inviere wrote: »
    Adrenaline isn’t a PSP emulator, it takes advantage of the Vita’s ability to natively run PSP firmware, and improves upon it. The Vita in every sense, becomes a real PSP except with better specs, better controls, and a better screen.

Well, if it's better you want....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    I found PSP games running through Adrenaline have way smoother frame rates, less to no slowdown, and look a lot better to boot. There’s also fan translations of Vita games too :)

In the case of FF Tactics it's just bad coding. The game is 60 fps on PS1 but on PSP the game slows to about 5 fps every time you use an ability other than attack. It was quite a simple fan fix apparently. And not adjusting the aspect ratio for wide screen is just lazy.

I want the fix though as the PS1 version plays better but the translation can not even be considered English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Don't think there's anymore vita games I want bar a few VN's that are also getting published elsewhere so I guess its time to CFW it. I wonder the hack will allow you to keep your games while signing out of your PSN account. Don't want to lose all my ps4 games for hacking my vita.

Actually, that reminded me about something. Definitely getting CFW on my Vita.

I've all my Playstation content spread across multiple accounts and the fact you need to factory reset you Vita, and have a memory card for each account and have to look at that poxy tutorial video every time you switch accounts is so annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

All the ps plus free Vita games I have makes me want a Vita! How much do the original OLEDs go for ob the second hand market roughly does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

After some research, boxed systems seem to go for around between 150-170. Not sure what the unboxed ones go for as I have a complete boxed system that I'm probably going to stick up on Adverts soon, so I wasn't looking at those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Doge wrote: »
    All the ps plus free Vita games I have makes me want a Vita! How much do the original OLEDs go for ob the second hand market roughly does anyone know?

They seem to be around 125 in CEX so presumably a bit cheaper from a private seller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Hey dudes, has anyone much experience with old apple computers? I recently picked up a macintosh plus cheap not working, and have it up and running like new now.
    It has all the manuals, disks, even the apple stickers and the carry bag, anyone an idea of value?
    I want to hold on to it but may pass it on if its worth doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Hey dudes, has anyone much experience with old apple computers? I recently picked up a macintosh plus cheap not working, and have it up and running like new now.
    It has all the manuals, disks, even the apple stickers and the carry bag, anyone an idea of value?

Pictures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Los Lobos wrote: »

They go for 80-200 euro for a reasonable condition one.

Hello all, it's been about a million years since i posted. Good to see the arcade & retro board is still going strong. I've been out of the scene for the last few years (kids & life etc) but am planning a new cab with custom graphics and control panel soon, running on a pandora's box jamma board. I've built a few windows based cabs on mame and hyperspin in the past, but am looking to keep it simple and low maintenance this time, hence the multicart option. 

Couple of questions, if anyone could offer some advice I'd be grateful:

-Which pandora's box should i get, and where's the best place to get one in IE/UK/EU for ease of customer service & returns?  I'm most concerned about speed, options, interface, and GFX quality. One of the version 5's looks best. Any tips?

-Where's good for custom graphics, artwork, decals, bezels, etc? Am most likely gonna go for a black cab, with a Street Fighter 2 CE artwork kit (grey CP, bezel, decals, etc), just need somewhere that can custom size it all for me.
    Cheers, and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move.

• Advertisement

-Where's good for custom graphics, artwork, decals, bezels, etc? Am most likely gonna go for a black cab, with a Street Fighter 2 CE artwork kit (grey CP, bezel, decals, etc), just need somewhere that can custom size it all for me.
    Cheers, and if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move.

The link to a great arcade artwork site is literally in the post above yours! :)
    Look at SteveX2's signature, he founded ArcadeArtwork.org.
    And he's very critical of image quality so you know you're in good hands!

Calling all Cork Arcade and Retro members that may be interested, or anyone else.

There's a Facebook group I joined recently called Cork Retro and Emulation (Electronics, Games, Hardware) and it could do with more members and content:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/314885485573843?view=permalink&id=554846781577711

One of the admins maintains the arcade machines at Barcadia ao there's some nice posts of the machines being worked on.

Of course don't be a stranger to this lovely forum also! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bit of a grey area here, I'm looking for a 'utopia' of sorts for the Dreamcast. I've found it but the directions are unclear and I end up having problems with 'burning' from the sun...

From what I gather I need to 'slow it down' to 1x or so and use a different method of finishing my journey...

Seriously though it's a pain in the ass. I had a disc before that worked now I'm not doing it right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Bit of a grey area here, I'm looking for a 'utopia' of sorts for the Dreamcast. I've found it but the directions are unclear and I end up having problems with 'burning' from the sun...

From what I gather I need to 'slow it down' to 1x or so and use a different method of finishing my journey...

Seriously though it's a pain in the ass. I had a disc before that worked now I'm not doing it right :P

Use CDBurnerXP to write it to a CD at the slowest speed your drive can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

Anyone here have a Sony PVM/BVM to sell, preferably a 20" model? Would be very interested! Might be silly asking that here of all places, but haven't had any luck elsewhere over the past year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Bought Earth Defence Force 4.1 on Steam yesterday. Not quite retro but it might as well be it's so arcadey. Really enjoying it so far. Mindless destruction I was hoping to get from Doom 2016 but I find that a little stop start with all the gore kills and arenas being locked off spawning enemies.

Any good retro/retro inspired things in the Steam sale at the mo? Thinking of picking up Hyper Sentinal. Perhaps Thumper as well.

Tempest 4000 is taking its time coming out..

• Advertisement

Bought Earth Defence Force 4.1 on Steam yesterday. Not quite retro but it might as well be it's so arcadey. Really enjoying it so far. Mindless destruction I was hoping to get from Doom 2016 but I find that a little stop start with all the gore kills and arenas being locked off spawning enemies.

Any good retro/retro inspired things in the Steam sale at the mo? Thinking of picking up Hyper Sentinal. Perhaps Thumper as well.

Quake II is €1.25 at the moment and has a VR patch on the interwebs.

Quake II was the first game I got with my first PC. I realise now that Quake 1 probably has a slicker campaign but I really love that one as well. You can really blast through it at a nice clip.

If you like retro singleplayer FPS can't recommend Dusk highly enough the level design is incredible.

Any good retro/retro inspired things in the Steam sale at the mo? Thinking of picking up Hyper Sentinal.
    Not quite the Uridium sequel I was waiting for.
    You have to select the right difficulty to have the deck structures cause even some damage, and you can't flip the ship on its side, which is limiting.
    Thumper as well.
    Pure scary, musical, terrifying bliss!

Yes, yes it is.
    And now with the questions over the release of the Atari box looking like a box of vapour, who knows when the now finished Tempest 4k will be available, certainly a lucky few got the finished game a couple of months ago when it appeared on the PS Store briefly before being taken down.
    It's supposed to be excellent, building on the already glorious TxK on the Vita, ports of which were ready for the PS4 and Steam but got yanked when Atari decided to be a bunch of dicks.

I just had a look on the Llamasoft forum. Apparently Microsoft are being dicks about finalising the release on XBone. Icons being 7 pixels too far to the left etc. They pushed an update a few days ago. Release date may be July 17th. The PC and PS4 versions were finished months ago.

I just had a look on the Llamasoft forum. Apparently Microsoft are being dicks about finalising the release on XBone. Icons being 7 pixels too far to the left etc. They pushed an update a few days ago. Release date may be July 17th. The PC and PS4 versions were finished months ago.

Dang, I wish they'd hurry up, I know it'll be life altering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

SGDQ is on if anyone's interested
    https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
    uDBmP8u_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh they're doing Iconoclasts.

I really liked that game, but it just keeps getting progressively worse as it goes on until it got to the point where I couldn't even play it any more. Lovely sprite work though.

SGDQ is on if anyone's interested
    https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
    uDBmP8u_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Always interested thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so many cabs that you have to walk over them

o1dpauqjgz511.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Great day for the retobrite :)

Great day for the retobrite :)

That's my next YouTube video.

Cheers for that!

I need to RetroBrite my Amiga A600 and Dreamcast. :)

MrVestek wrote: »
    That's my next YouTube video.

Cheers for that!

I need to RetroBrite my Amiga A600 and Dreamcast. :)

It's my understanding that RetroBrite was a product by a company which seems to have a massive markup for what it is, as far as I know cream peroxide is cheap and you don't need UV light for it?

Open to correction though. I've been meaning to use some cream peroxide on the Dreamcast since my sister has a ton of the stuff.

It's my understanding that RetroBrite was a product by a company which seems to have a massive markup for what it is, as far as I know cream peroxide is cheap and you don't need UV light for it?

Open to correction though. I've been meaning to use some cream peroxide on the Dreamcast since my sister has a ton of the stuff.

Cream peroxide is fine, but you do need UV light as far as I know.

Ohh I don't mean using actual RetroBrite.

I've had Oxyclean and cream peroxide at home for a year or so now with the intention to make a video about resurfacing old plastics.

With the weather we've been having lately I get direct sunlight in my flat so should be easy to have it exposed to the sun for 12 hours at a time.

Anybody know a reputable place (preferably in Europe) to buy a Pandora's box or similar Jamma multicart? I'm looking to do a mame to jamma conversion because the PC in my mame cab is starting to die and keeps throwing up hardware errors. It's 10+ years old now & it's only a matter of time....

• Advertisement

Anybody know a reputable place (preferably in Europe) to buy a Pandora's box or similar Jamma multicart? I'm looking to do a mame to jamma conversion because the PC in my mame cab is starting to die and keeps throwing up hardware errors. It's 10+ years old now & it's only a matter of time....

Which Pandora are you after?
    Some of them are hackable so you can add more games.
    The files were on Jamma plus, but that's closed down now.
    What cab is it?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Which Pandora are you after?
    Some of them are hackable so you can add more games.
    The files were on Jamma plus, but that's closed down now.
    What cab is it?
    i was looking at one of the versions of the 5s. I'm not too bothered about any extra games, as long as the basics i want are on it (even the earlier versions are fine) but a quality interface and good set of config options on it are important, and minimizing slowdown, tearing etc. Main reason i'm looking at the 5s is for the faster processor, but i'm open to suggestion. If it being hackable means more options as far as config-ing and setting it up (rather than adding new games) that's good...
    The cab is a kit build bartop at the moment due to space constraints, but i want to put the guts back into a proper upright woody cab soon. It's running an old XP P4 and re-shelled to boot right into Hyperspin, but the PC hardware is about to kick the bucket. CP is Sanwa JLF sticks and a mix of happ competition and sanwa convex buttons. Monitor is a TFT. Interface is an Ipac.
    I'll most likely have to rebuild the control panel, and change the ipac for a Jpac to work with the pandora's box.

Quick one lads, NTSC game on the Dreamcast is black and white, quick search shows this is because it's a 60hz signal on a 50hz TV. Will RGB help this? I'm assuming this is due to the TV not doing 60hz over RF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yes a RGB cable will sort that out. The PAL/NTSC colour encoding doesn't exist with RGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Maybe not quite retro yet, but if you have any old PSPs lying about check on the batteries. Found both my launch one and PSP 3000 yesterday with bulging batteries that look like they could pop at any minute.

Maybe not quite retro yet, but if you have any old PSPs lying about check on the batteries. Found both my launch one and PSP 3000 yesterday with bulging batteries that look like they could pop at any minute.

Done that a few years back when putting everything into storage. DS's, DSi's, 3DS's., XL's, PSP's, Wii U Pad's....everything got batteryies removed, labelled, and stored separately

Related to the battery problems, anyone who has on original Xbox and uses it, remove the clock capacitor from the motherboard!
    They've started bursting and leaking acid onto the motherboard, rendering the console a chunky paperweight

rendering the console a chunky paperweight

Many would say they came off the production line in that condition :D That said, yeah, remove the clock cap...except on v1.6 mobo's, there's none :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Related to the battery problems, anyone who has on original Xbox and uses it, remove the clock capacitor from the motherboard!
    They've started bursting and leaking acid onto the motherboard, rendering the console a chunky paperweight

Hmm, how easy or difficult is this? I have a soft modded delight I still use.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

It's very straightforward. If you're feeling fancy you can use a soldering iron to get it off but a bit of gentle rocking with a pliers will free it just as easily.
    The Xbox comes apart quite easily too. No need for the posh screwdrivers, the basics will do

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement