Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's very straightforward. If you're feeling fancy you can use a soldering iron to get it off but a bit of gentle rocking with a pliers will free it just as easily.
    The Xbox comes apart quite easily too. No need for the posh screwdrivers, the basics will do

That's alright then, thanks, I've had it open when I changed the hard drive, soldering is beyond me, so I'll go with the plier option.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This link will show you where the capacitor is located on the board, I'm on my phone so I can't share the images directly but everything is there
    https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/clock_capacitor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

It depends on the console though, as the later Xboxes cannot operate without the clock capacitor.

It depends on the console though, as the later Xboxes cannot operate without the clock capacitor.

The later Xboxes don't have one.
    It's the earlier consoles have issues but any softmod or hardmod removes that dependency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

454535.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doge wrote: »
    454535.jpg

Damn!

You must really love your Japanese visual novels!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Damn!

You must really love your Japanese visual novels!

I'm more interested in running Retroarch than playing that weeb ****e! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My Utopia disc works but won't boot NTSC House of the Dead 2...ideas?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My Utopia disc works but won't boot NTSC House of the Dead 2...ideas?

Bad burn? Have you tried a self booting image?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Bad burn? Have you tried a self booting image?

Might be, lowest write speed on my sister's laptop is 10x. Must try a self boot later but I'll also use something other than Utopia.

• Advertisement

What's with this song going on in the background of the Clare/Cork rivalry vid just now on Telly Eireann?

Oh, and by the way, I went to Token yesterday and managed to beat TMNT.

So theflow0 released the Vita hack today. Unfortunately the hack needs to be initialized after each power down or reboot.

Will update later when I have Retroarch running!
    What's with this song going on in the background of the Clare/Cork rivalry vid just now on Telly Eireann?

Oh, and by the way, I went to Token yesterday and managed to beat TMNT.

Did they play Derrick May's original you linked or a remix?

Would be strange if they played the original as its fairly undeground sounding.

Did they play Derrick May's original you linked or a remix?

Would be strange if they played the original as its fairly undeground sounding.
    Original it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

So theflow0 released the Vita hack today. Unfortunately the hack needs to be initialized after each power down or reboot.
    Will update later when I have Retroarch running!

Arrrrgh that's a shame

It's mad how the Brazilians are still updating Pro Evolution Soccer for the PS2:D
    https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-913966905-pes-2018-ps2-europeu-atualizado-de-maio-_JM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Aren't modern consoles stupidly expensive over there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    Aren't modern consoles stupidly expensive over there?

I think the prices are comparatively high, compared to the low average income.
    Apparently the average income there, per month, is about 520 dollars US. The US itself is 4.8k gross.
    So a PS4/XB1 is not far shy of a monthly income in Brazil.

As far as I know there's also a massive tax on importing foreign made electronics. I think Sega licensed production of the Mega Drive mainly to bypass it back in the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Lots of these old games have surprisingly manic modding communities. I used play a lot of Total Annihilation and at there's a third game engine currently being built from scratch that supports all the original game file types 1:1 cos the guy thinks he could do a better job. The amount of work people put into these things is insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 DeusVolt

Wonder if there are any sites where you can buy those old TecToy MD and MS games? Ebay does not get much of the stuff.

• Advertisement

DeusVolt wrote: »
    Wonder if there are any sites where you can buy those old TecToy MD and MS games? Ebay does not get much of the stuff.

If they were sold here they'd probably be sold as @RARE@ I'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

If they were sold here they'd probably be sold as @RARE@ I'd imagine!

Sonic 1 for the Sega Megadrive
    Rare cart from 1990’s
    No box, slight label damage
    Getting hard to find these now
    €45 no offers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 DeusVolt

Would even just be cool to scroll through a site and see if there are any differences between box art and so on.

Is anyone heading to the 8-bit retrogaming conference at the end of the month? Thought there would be a bit more hype about it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Is anyone heading to the 8-bit retrogaming conference at the end of the month? Thought there would be a bit more hype about it on here.

Went last year, was a bit meh, didn't go to any of the talks which would have made it better i guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was back stage at Queen last night playing pac man, Sega rally and point blank 2 on the arcade machines they had there with Brian May's grandson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Was back stage at Queen last night playing pac man, Sega rally and point blank 2 on the arcade machines they had there with Brian May's grandson.

Your next line better be;

I approached Brian May with my copy of Rise of the Robots and said;

'Hey Brian, I meant to get you to sign this last time we met, can I have your autograph please?'

Brian chuckled, signed the boxart and cart while regaling me with stories about producing the soundtrack for the game and the hype surrounding it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Your next line better be;

That, or...

"I decided to stop playing games & went out to see one of the greatest bands of our generation playing"...

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    That, or...

"I decided to stop playing games & went out to see one of the greatest bands of our generation playing"...

I'd agree with that statement if it meant this;

186385.jpg

And not this;

hqdefault.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

I know I know :D Still, it's Queen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    I know I know :D Still, it's Queen!

Half of Queen.... The bass player fecked off as well....

It's like The Tom Tom Club to Talking Heads

Nice reference in the show 12 Monkeys, in episode 8 of its final season.
    One of our heroes finds herself in a medieval village and she calls it Kakariko village before some very LoZ music plays in the background.

I'm undecided if I should go to the 8Bit Conference. I'm already going to Dublin again in mid August, so I wonder if this would be something to check out before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I'm not attending 8Bit Conference this year. I basically lost out on a good chunk of money last year. Weekend off work, traveling up with my large display and stock, hostel for 2 nights. I did not cover my costs due to the low turnout for the event, guy who runs it is a really nice fella though so I don't blame anyone involved. I just dont think there was a big enough single event at it to draw people.

I did go on the piss in Dublin though with my mates who live in there....wound up in the George and then I went ****ing ham on a load of English twats who were shouting at 4 in the morning in the hostel...there was some unpleasantness, I can never go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My board game con is on the 4th of August. Might set up the Famicom with the portable PVM at it. See who can get the high score in Silver Surfer over the course of the day.

• Advertisement

I did go on the piss in Dublin though with my mates who live in there....wound up in the George and then I went ****ing ham on a load of English twats who were shouting at 4 in the morning in the hostel...there was some unpleasantness, I can never go back.

tenor.gif?itemid=7944844

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

Anyone know a good place to pick up Cream Peroxide 40Vol 12% on the cheap? Need to pick some up for an extremely yellowed PC Engine I have on the way from Japan.

Came across this link for 6 x 1L bottles for €12: http://www.nialloreilly.ie/ipro--creme-peroxide-1-litre--buy-6-for-12/iprooxideofferpd.html

There's no chance I'll ever use that much though lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's the stuff I've used before and its fine.

That's the stuff I've used before and its fine.

I actually saw that stuff in the shop, it's a tiny little bottle bout 75ml. I thought that would probably barely do 1 console? I could be wrong though.

Might end up picking up the bulk deal and seeing if others want a 1L bottle for cost price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

1 of those little bottles does a surprising amount, I done a Saturn, Amiga 500 and 1200 with a single bottle of it. Its nice and thick so you paint it on with little wastage.

Master of the Universe

Dont meant to be spamming the forum but just in case you guys missed it...

Last year there was a boards.ie thread where folks signed up for free Stellar XLM crypto currency. Everyone forgot about it until a few months ago it nearly topped out a dollar a piece. People were cashing out in and some case getting a couple of grand.

A similar thing has kicked off. Invite only but there are loads of links flying around in this thread. Given what happened with Stellar, it's worth a shot as it's free (only up for the next 96 hours)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107509186&posted=1#post107509186

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I dont know what it is, but i joined using your link haha, can you verify me? Thanks

Master of the Universe

Verified that for ya now.

Yeah I did the same thing randomly last year and came out with 500 euros worth of XLM when the value skyrocketed :D

Verified that for ya now.

Yeah I did the same thing randomly last year and came out with 500 euros worth of XLM when the value skyrocketed :D
    Just so you know, uh, how do you cash out?

Dont meant to be spamming the forum but just in case you guys missed it...

Last year there was a boards.ie thread where folks signed up for free Stellar XLM crypto currency. Everyone forgot about it until a few months ago it nearly topped out a dollar a piece. People were cashing out in and some case getting a couple of grand.

A similar thing has kicked off. Invite only but there are loads of links flying around in this thread. Given what happened with Stellar, it's worth a shot as it's free (only up for the next 96 hours)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107509186&posted=1#post107509186

Hey, cheers for the tip! I signed up using your link, if you could verify that'd be great :D

Master of the Universe

Just so you know, uh, how do you cash out?

Basically with XLM you needed to move it to an exchange, convert it to bitcoin and then you can cash that out to a bank account.

It's actually fairly straightforward and if this actually ends up being worth something like XLM, you'll be cashing it out after an hour or two of reading up on it.
    eric90000 wrote: »
    Hey, cheers for the tip! I signed up using your link, if you could verify that'd be great :D

Cheers dude! Verified now :)

So, it's a pyramid scheme?

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, it's a pyramid scheme?

872714.jpg?b64lines=VGhpcyBpcyBub3Qgb25lIG9mCiB0aG9zZSBzaGFkeSBweXJhbWlkCiBzY2hlbWVzIHlvdSd2ZSBiZWVuCiBoZWFyaW5nIGFib3V0LiBObyBzaXIuCiBPdXIgbW9kZWwgaXMgdGhlCiB0cmFwZXpvaWQ=

https://initiativeq.com/invite/BMEmgNIXX

I need people to sign up with my link hahaha, all my mates think I'm trying to sell them a pyramid scheme

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement