Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

i clicked erics,
    heres mine!

https://initiativeq.com/invite/Hx__OEImX

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭eric90000

i clicked erics,
    heres mine!

https://initiativeq.com/invite/Hx__OEImX

Approved you there, nice one! FREE MONEYZ FOR ALL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it would be best not to have this in the forum lads, if that's okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Apologies! Didn't mean for it to gain legs here - my post was meant to just be a tip off in case we had a repeat of what happened last year.

Will stfu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

CdTAUjuXEAA-Ww2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Mono...
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »

d'oh!

Master of the Universe

Im watching that Sherlock Holmes holodeck episode of Tng and My Alexa, which I have set to activate with the word 'Computer', responds every time Geordi said 'Conputer' - it's beyond weird!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Im watching that Sherlock Holmes holodeck episode of Tng and My Alexa, which I have set to activate with the word 'Computer', responds every time Geordi said 'Conputer' - it's beyond weird!

Okay this is just mad, Picard said 'computer' followed by something and Alexa responded and played a song for him on Spotify.

This is how Skynet begins!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Okay this is just mad, Picard said 'computer' followed by something and Alexa responded and played a song for him on Spotify.

This is how Skynet begins!

You will have a load of earl grey tea getting delivered by amazon next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As long as you don't get an exit when you say "Computer, Arch"...
    Of course, if you do please don't turn the program off, and please ask it to give me my hair back.
    Also, rich

While we're veering off topic check out my last rap battle. May not be your bag but I insult Waterford a lot in my third round so you can just pretend I'm talking about Jack Burton. Skip to 1:45 cos I never choke. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I thought Mc Dubh was the only rapper in the 'ford. Pretty impressed with those skills though, never seen anyone dish it out wearing a thin knit jumper! 10/10

Since we are now officially off topic. I have a limited edition Friday the 13th shirt for sale only this weekend for €13

Check it out
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlKcsIjFFJh/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

I’ve been looking at getting a bvm/pvm lately unfortunately this is out of my price range
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tv-for-sale/sony-bvm-d24e1we-crt-monitor-brand-new-crt-tube/19216999

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

paul79 wrote: »
    I’ve been looking at getting a bvm/pvm lately unfortunately this is out of my price range
    https://www.donedeal.ie/tv-for-sale/sony-bvm-d24e1we-crt-monitor-brand-new-crt-tube/19216999
    Ahhh, feck me. I could have found a similar model for about a 3rd of the price a few months back.

• Advertisement

Ahhh, feck me. I could have found a similar model for about a 3rd of the price a few months back.

Any 20” floating around you know of?

Any 20” floating around you know of?
    Actually, no, wait, it was the same model.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/SONY-BVM-D24E1WE-24-TRINITRON-HD-SD-CRT-COLOUR-RGB-VIDEO-MONITOR-WORKING/162925368159?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Too bad it was collection only in the UK.

Master of the Universe

Totally overpriced but it's a bit of a grail monitor. Multiformat which is kinda rare. So will do 480p, HD resolutions etc.

Totally overpriced but it's a bit of a grail monitor. Multiformat which is kinda rare. So will do 480p, HD resolutions etc.
    I'd kill to have a go of Sonic Mania on it, given it being widescreen and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

3k for a monitor that has issues, I'm surprised it didn't end up in the Dreamer of the year thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Feck it. Trying to return the Hama Scart switch I got because the picture quality is atrocious only to remember I got it sent over with AddressPal.

Anyone any experience on returning stuff like that? Maybe ParcelMotel to one of the Royal Mail drop off locations?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Feck it. Trying to return the Hama Scart switch I got because the picture quality is atrocious only to remember I got it sent over with AddressPal.

Anyone any experience on returning stuff like that? Maybe ParcelMotel to one of the Royal Mail drop off locations?

That's very strange, mine has a very clear output. Are you sure you didn't have one of the switches pressed that shouldn't have been?
    And are you using a decent scart cable to go from the switcher to the TV?

Yes it is overpriced crazy money , I’d love a 20f1e but very pricey, I have been offered a pvm 20m4e for 240 but would have to have it shipped ,which is a worry in itself damn my love of retro

Master of the Universe

Yes it is overpriced crazy money , I’d love a 20f1e but very pricey, I have been offered a pvm 20m4e for 240 but would have to have it shipped ,which is a worry in itself damn my love of retro

I've had four Sony CRT production monitors shipped at this stage. It's just not a good idea, unless it's going in a flight case or on a palette, so far I have a 50/50 damage rate.

9 inch PVM - shipped fine
    14 inch 1 BVM - broken on arrival
    14 inch 2 BVM - shipped fine
    20 inch PVM - I bought this from someone who had it shipped from Germany, still works but the bezel had a massive break from taking a knock.

Where's the 20M4E coming from?

I've had four Sony CRT production monitors shipped at this stage. It's just not a good idea, unless it's going in a flight case or on a palette, so far I have a 50/50 damage rate.

9 inch PVM - shipped fine
    14 inch 1 BVM - broken on arrival
    14 inch 2 BVM - shipped fine
    20 inch PVM - I bought this from someone who had it shipped from Germany, still works but the bezel had a massive break from taking a knock.

Where's the 20M4E coming from?

It would also be coming from Germany no flight case unfortunately , shipping has me worried as no good if it arrives broken just be a waste of money , I’ve had little to no luck finding any here in Ireland , only way seems to be ship from abroad

Just saw this posted on The CRT Collective:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/444560212348840?view=permalink&id=1125096007628587

What a setup!
    There's a video of it in action in the second last shot of the album.

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »

https://m.facebook.com/groups/444560212348840?view=permalink&id=1125096007628587

What a setup!

Holy **** :eek:

I hope he's not running all of that off the one socket :D

That's very strange, mine has a very clear output. Are you sure you didn't have one of the switches pressed that shouldn't have been?
    And are you using a decent scart cable to go from the switcher to the TV?

I'm certain I don't have any switches pressed. I'll have to buy a different Scart cable to test. Hard to tell if they'll be good though.

Master of the Universe

I'm certain I don't have any switches pressed. I'll have to buy a different Scart cable to test. Hard to tell if they'll be good though.

Might be an obvious one but is your scart switchers going to an RGB enabled scart socket?

Sometimes TVs have two scart sockets but only one of them is actually RGB and the other is composite.

What a setup!

Now that's a scary switcher!

• Advertisement

Might be an obvious one but is your scart switchers going to an RGB enabled scart socket?

Sometimes TVs have two scart sockets but only one of them is actually RGB and the other is composite.

I'm using a Scart adaptor as TV doesn't support it, the consoles themselves connected to the adaptor look great. Problem with the adaptor and switch box is that each one seems to add an extra chance for something to go wrong.

The Scart on the living room TV seems fine also as the Dreamcast looks very nice on it.

But the Scart switch plugged into both TVs looks the exact same. Looks like composite on the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast is almost black it's so dark. I'll try a different Scart but it's either the Scart of the switch box.

I'm using a Scart adaptor as TV doesn't support it, the consoles themselves connected to the adaptor look great. Problem with the adaptor and switch box is that each one seems to add an extra chance for something to go wrong.

The Scart on the living room TV seems fine also as the Dreamcast looks very nice on it.

But the Scart switch plugged into both TVs looks the exact same. Looks like composite on the Mega Drive and the Dreamcast is almost black it's so dark. I'll try a different Scart but it's either the Scart of the switch box.

What kind of scart adapter are you using? Is it one of those composite to scart adapters, yellow white and red?

455902.jpg

Make sure the 3 switches on the left are off, as in pushing out.

It's a shame your TV doesn't support RGB, these switchers would really shine if it did.

Also make sure the scsrt cables from the consoles are pushed into the sockets on the switcher properly. The sockets tend to flex a bit as the quality isn't the greatest.

Can you post pics of the way you're using them along with the scsrt adaptor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sega's AAA gun finger simulator looks kind of fun as well.

What kind of scart adapter are you using? Is it one of those composite to scart adapters, yellow white and red?

455902.jpg

Make sure the 3 switches on the left are off, as in pushing out.

It's a shame your TV doesn't support RGB, these switchers would really shine if it did.

Also make sure the scsrt cables from the consoles are pushed into the sockets on the switcher properly. The sockets tend to flex a bit as the quality isn't the greatest.

Can you post pics of the way you're using them along with the scsrt adaptor?

The adaptor is just Scart to the AV port that LG thought was a good idea. The joys of a modern TV. The cables themselves are normal Scart. I'll get a photo of the setup on Wednesday.

Is it worth chancing a Scart from Argos for €15? Don't think there's many options without buying online...

The adaptor is just Scart to the AV port that LG thought was a good idea. The joys of a modern TV. The cables themselves are normal Scart. I'll get a photo of the setup on Wednesday.

Is it worth chancing a Scart from Argos for €15? Don't think there's many options without buying online...

Ummmm 15 is a bit pricey. We should probably identify the problem first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Master of the Universe

I really dont understand why they haven't made more receivers? Absolutely love using their Snes pad wirelessly with my Super Nintendo. Surely there's a huge market to do the same with other consoles?

Would be great as having a box of wired controller isn't the neatest thing in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya could do with some Sega style receivers alright, a Saturn one would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Looks like you'll have to mod the controller or open it every time to charge the battery.

Edit:
    Ah, it comes with some sort of adapter cable that goes in the cable hole.

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction

looking to get some of the 80s and 90s SNES and Mega Drive ads, I know theres a ton on youtube but most of them are crappy quality.

Am I after the impossible or is there someone out there uploading HQ ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone been to that 8-bit conference in Dublin last year. they got in touch and asked if I'd be interested in doing their panel discussion both days. Tempted to go, accomodation pending...

Master of the Universe

BGOllie wrote: »
    anyone been to that 8-bit conference in Dublin last year. they got in touch and asked if I'd be interested in doing their panel discussion both days. Tempted to go, accomodation pending...

Only person I know who went was Jack Burton and he seems to think it was a bit of a waste of time unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Was the 8-bit conference not just a student type of thing?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Was the 8-bit conference not just a student type of thing?

That's exactly what I thought last time. I was under the impression it was for college students!

• Advertisement

Number we're definitely poor last year. Not the fault of the organisers really, I just think Griffith College is a bad location for it.

Speaking at someone not from Dublin, very few people are going to walk from the city centre out to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

BGOllie wrote: »

You're welcome to crash in mine if needed. Have a lovely spare room now.

I'm planning to check this conference out myself, didn't head to it last year.

Master of the Universe

Number we're definitely poor last year. Not the fault of the organisers really, I just think Griffith College is a bad location for it.

Speaking at someone not from Dublin, very few people are going to walk from the city centre out to it.

It's being held in Griffith College? O_0

It's being held in Griffith College? O_0

That's where I was last year, thought it was the same this year, I'm not 100% sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Afaik it's in Griffith College again this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement