Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Has anyone else noticed the amount of scammers popping up on Adverts lately, where are they all coming from, it is up to a point now where nearly every 3rd or 4th retro game post seems to be from some 0 rated person who won't allow you to collect the item only have it posted and pay via paypal gift. I hope no one falls victim to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Burzum wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed the amount of scammers popping up on Adverts lately, where are they all coming from, it is up to a point now where nearly every 3rd or 4th retro game post seems to be from some 0 rated person who won't allow you to collect the item only have it posted and pay via paypal gift. I hope no one falls victim to it.

Could they be IP banned if reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

BGOllie wrote: »
    anyone been to that 8-bit conference in Dublin last year. they got in touch and asked if I'd be interested in doing their panel discussion both days. Tempted to go, accomodation pending...

I was asked last year but then they found my podcast download numbers not to their liking when I told them.

ArcadeAndRetro.com podcast actually had pretty good download numbers with some of them hitting 1500-3000, which isn't bad for a niche subject Irish podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

thanks lads & thanks for the offer MrVestek ;)

mm. think I'll pass then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Could they be IP banned if reported?

Sure a quick install of a VPN or resetting your modem can fix that.

Doge wrote: »
    What kind of scart adapter are you using? Is it one of those composite to scart adapters, yellow white and red?

455902.jpg

Make sure the 3 switches on the left are off, as in pushing out.

It's a shame your TV doesn't support RGB, these switchers would really shine if it did.

Also make sure the scsrt cables from the consoles are pushed into the sockets on the switcher properly. The sockets tend to flex a bit as the quality isn't the greatest.

Can you post pics of the way you're using them along with the scsrt adaptor?

So there's an RGB button on the left side, I pressed that and there was a dramatic increase in picture quality. However, there's a fair bit of image noise compared to the console being plugged in directly. I tried the original Scart cable I had which improved things a bit but still noticeable and unfortunately the Dreamcast cable still glitches out so I believe that's an issue between the Dreamcast cable and the Scart to AV adaptor.

I think I could live with a bit of image noise if it meant not using RF with the Dreamcast. I'll have to source another cable for it now. Ugh...

ojZkAgQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Might be easier just to buy a bandridge multi scart instead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Bandridge-5-Way-Manual-Scart-Selector-Switch-RGB-Retro-Gaming-Switchbox/152346286334?epid=2255824229&hash=item23788bd8fe:g:pu4AAOSwZQRYbSXx

Cheap enough (about 25 quid), looks neater and has 5 inputs. Can't say I've ever seen any noise showing up in the picture.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Might be easier just to buy a bandridge multi scart instead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-Bandridge-5-Way-Manual-Scart-Selector-Switch-RGB-Retro-Gaming-Switchbox/152346286334?epid=2255824229&hash=item23788bd8fe:g:pu4AAOSwZQRYbSXx

Cheap enough (about 25 quid), looks neater and has 5 inputs. Can't say I've ever seen any noise showing up in the picture.

You're probably right, I passed up a 3 way Bandridge switch because it needed an AC adaptor and I have far too many as it is. Actually cost me a few Euro more too. Didn't work out so well in the end. I think I'm gonna leave it for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

You're probably right, I passed up a 3 way Bandridge switch because it needed an AC adaptor and I have far too many as it is. Actually cost me a few Euro more too. Didn't work out so well in the end. I think I'm gonna leave it for a while...

Where abouts in Dublin are you? I’ve two x4 way MadCatz rgb capable manual scart switchers sitting out in the shed doing nothing...they’re yours if you want them and can pick them up :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sitting waiting on the fracture clinic in the hospital in Sligo. I keep hearing sound effects that sound like they are from a capcom arcade game. I'm looking around for it hoping it's ghouls n ghosts or another classic.

Turns out it's the sound effects from the Chase which is on TV....

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sitting waiting on the fracture clinic in the hospital in Sligo. I keep hearing sound effects that sound like they are from a capcom arcade game. I'm looking around for it hoping it's ghouls n ghosts or another classic.

What's worse? Having a fracture or watching the Chase?

As an aside, anyone else ever hear the sound effect from Resident Evil 1's inventory being used a lot...it must be one of those free sounds anyone can use :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I hear the boost sound from Magic Carpet quite a bit in movies and TV shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Door opening sound and fireball sound from doom.

I'm guessing there's royalty free sound effect collections that just get used a whole lot. there's a royalty free CD of rap samples and the same rap has appeared in multiple games from Einhander to Ar Tonelico.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh!
    I worked there!
    For a while at least, when I was on secondment to Sligo General, during my nurse training... a loooong time ago!
    Don't worry, I was great!

Inviere wrote: »
    Where abouts in Dublin are you? I’ve two x4 way MadCatz rgb capable manual scart switchers sitting out in the shed doing nothing...they’re yours if you want them and can pick them up :)

Ah that's very kind of you. I'm in Lucan but like driving so no issues going anywhere provided it isn't during rush hour :) I'll let you know what I want to do as I think I'll leave it for now. Feels like I've just been throwing money around hoping for something to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Door opening sound and fireball sound from doom.

I'm guessing there's royalty free sound effect collections that just get used a whole lot. there's a royalty free CD of rap samples and the same rap has appeared in multiple games from Einhander to Ar Tonelico.
    And let's not forget the Diddy laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I hear the boost sound from Magic Carpet quite a bit in movies and TV shows.

I fecking loved that game!
    Played it to death on the 3DO, just brilliant.
    Someone builds an elaborate castle, you lash a canyon followed by a volcano through the middle of it....
    Hi Octane, same game engine, complete crap!

I was watching 12 Monkeys last night (the series) and heard this famous police chatter clip , the part 24 seconds in, just before the main character knocked out one of the security guards.

Kinda spoiled it for me! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

What's worse? Having a fracture or watching the Chase?

As an aside, anyone else ever hear the sound effect from Resident Evil 1's inventory being used a lot...it must be one of those free sounds anyone can use :D
    The back out of menu noise from Silent Hill 4 I used to hear from the printer printing.
    Or in my old place one of the laptops made MvsC2 make confirm button noises.
    One of the ads had a Sonic special stage ring noise, it was like for ... cheese I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

For anyone not on my social media and didn't see, thought I might share my photo here
    DiV-jFuX0AAkdGL?format=jpg

Bright mornings of birdsong still remind me of stepping into the bright sunlit exteriors of the castle in Ico.

Also, I can't see real life castles now without wondering if there's a Blood Starved Beast around the corner

Maybe I'm late to the party with this one but have ye heard of Fightcade before?
    It seems like a great idea, enabling online multiplayer for games emulated by Final Burn Alpha.
    https://play.fightcade.com/
    As is tradition, roms aren't included in the download

The Rage posted a video from the 8bit conference, saw a Mega CD but already sold. Going rate is about €90. Had a look on eBay and most of them are paired up with a console already or boxed for close to €200. Don't know if I'll get one anytime soon...

The Rage posted a video from the 8bit conference, saw a Mega CD but already sold. Going rate is about €90. Had a look on eBay and most of them are paired up with a console already or boxed for close to €200. Don't know if I'll get one anytime soon...

Cidey did you ever get that faulty one going that I sold you?

Cidey did you ever get that faulty one going that I sold you?

Nope, Kerbdog tried his best but no luck

• Advertisement

Anyone know any good YouTubers to follow? I like some of the stuff My Life In Gaming have done like with RGB and EverDrive and I like a lot of the hardware/history videos the likes of Lazy Game Review's or Metal Jesus Rocks have done (Don't judge me :P)

Wondering if there's anyone else worth subscribing to or any particular videos worth checking out. Saw an interesting one on Michael Jackson's music in Sonic 3 a while ago.

Slopes game room, Larry Bundy jr, Kim justice and Gaming historian are all very good.
    There's pat the nes punk and his buddy with the CUPodcast as well but the pair of them are the biggest mé féiners on YouTube. YMMV but I can't stand the pair of em.

and I like a lot of the hardware/history videos the likes of Lazy Game Review's or Metal Jesus Rocks have done (Don't judge me :P)

KimJustice, thank me later :)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope, Kerbdog tried his best but no luck

Would have loved to see it back in action. I wonder if the modded bios chip has gone faulty, and if it could be removed and the unit turned back to stock. I still maintain caps though, given it flashes to life for a split second at times.

Another thumbs up for Kim Justice.

Also Jeremy Parish has a great series on chronologically documenting the gameboy nes and snes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Slopes fella almost disappeared up top hat gaming w*nkers arse during a spat between top hat and a spectrum/zx81 focused youtuber about uncredited use of gameplay footage. Slopes said he should be "honoured" that top hat gaming had used his footage. Honoured ffs. I certainly ceased my interest in that channel after that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I've cut gaming related YT subscriptions down to prob around 5 people. There's so.much.junk out there

Kim Justice is my favourite. Hung out with her and DJ Slope for a good while at Play Expo they're both really sound. I used find Larry Bundy and DJ Slopes videos really entertaining but the style of them has been feeling a little stretched and repetitive of late.

Others that I enjoy would be:

Superbunnyhop - good documentary/editorial type stuff
    Generation 16 - every mega drive game sequentially, tons of documentary style research
    GST大好き - retro game music mixes, with loads of very well researched information on screen too
    Banjo Guy Ollie - Carves out a nice niche in terms of what he covers. Just consistently interesting.
    Lazy Game Room - often copied, never bettered. Except maybe by Techmoan, but he's more consumer electronics.
    Noclip - very slickly produced documentaries.
    Ahoy - again very slick videos. The graphics are half the appeal really.
    Blast Processing - really short videos. Again, lovely production values.
    ClassicsOfGame - really short videos of weird things from old videogames presented out of context.
    Last Gamer - largest videogame collection in the world. Seems like a cool guy as well. He's currently building an obscenely huge personal arcade.
    LordBBH - king of MAME. He's completed thousands of arcade games. Just fun to see lots of games you wouldn't really know about.
    lukemorse1 - very bare bones point a camera at his TV stuff but he's at it forever and picks up interesting games.
    RetroManCave - only getting into this lately. Very well made videos indeed.
    SummoningSalt - speedrun record documentaries. I find them absolutely facinating for some reason.

I actually whittled that list down quite a bit. I've got 200 subs, 100 or so of which are retro gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Kim Justice is my favourite. Hung out with her and DJ Slope for a good while at Play Expo they're both really sound. I used find Larry Bundy and DJ Slopes videos really entertaining but the style of them has been feeling a little stretched and repetitive of late.

Others that I enjoy would be:

Superbunnyhop - good documentary/editorial type stuff
    Generation 16 - every mega drive game sequentially, tons of documentary style research
    GST大好き - retro game music mixes, with loads of very well researched information on screen too
    Banjo Guy Ollie - Carves out a nice niche in terms of what he covers. Just consistently interesting.
    Lazy Game Room - often copied, never bettered. Except maybe by Techmoan, but he's more consumer electronics.
    Noclip - very slickly produced documentaries.
    Ahoy - again very slick videos. The graphics are half the appeal really.
    Blast Processing - really short videos. Again, lovely production values.
    ClassicsOfGame - really short videos of weird things from old videogames presented out of context.
    Last Gamer - largest videogame collection in the world. Seems like a cool guy as well. He's currently building an obscenely huge personal arcade.
    LordBBH - king of MAME. He's completed thousands of arcade games. Just fun to see lots of games you wouldn't really know about.
    lukemorse1 - very bare bones point a camera at his TV stuff but he's at it forever and picks up interesting games.
    RetroManCave - only getting into this lately. Very well made videos indeed.
    SummoningSalt - speedrun record documentaries. I find them absolutely facinating for some reason.

I actually whittled that list down quite a bit. I've got 200 subs, 100 or so of which are retro gaming.

Love the 2 of these. Especially noclip, I used to skate with Danny back in the day, delighted to see him make it big time

The person I'm watching a lot of this week is Tim Rogers. I used read his articles back in the day on InsertCredit.com and then forgot about him but he's doing a lot of video for Kotaku now and they're pretty hilarious.

Would have loved to see it back in action. I wonder if the modded bios chip has gone faulty, and if it could be removed and the unit turned back to stock. I still maintain caps though, given it flashes to life for a split second at times.

Maybe Kerb can chime in with his findings
    He's currently hard at work aligning my Famicom Twin, which is not wanting to read side B of my Moero Twinbee disk, following a belt replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I watch a lot of channels who make or repair stuff. Among them are :
    Michaelcthulhu. Irish fella in the US , makes giant swords and weapons from games: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGca03sbLq7OUnXMdvRHyBQ
    Men at Arms is another very good one in a similar vein (bit more flashy )

Jan Beta. A lot of commodore repair stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftUpOO4h9EgH0eDOZtjzcA
    GadgetUK164 in a similar vein: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBWJ9JeJ3Q8ssn_ibii-Cg
    Arcade Jason has recently opened an patreon (I'm a contributor) and started doing a lot more monitor repairs.
    Doktorzett and Onecircuit do in depth but well explained arcadePCB repairs, going through schematics and tools used to diagnose.

Otherwise, Gamesack, 8 bit guy, LGR and the Gaming Historian are good (we've actually a project of a cover collaboration as he's a drummer too) . Game chasers have gone to hell and Pat the Punk is becoming increasingly irrelevant(er) ... I find I watch less review type channels like these though and more technical stuff.

I've watched some Slopes Game Room and Gaming Historian stuff before, just watched Gaming Historian's Power Glove episode which was quite interesting. Also watched the short episode on the Sega Nomad, didn't know it was exclusive to America :O

MsMadLemon does some good Commodore stuff, it's not something you get too much of else where.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSlMemxuBOFu6Rz_Al02nHQ

So the Sega Genesis collection for PS4 got a free PSVR patch where you can play mega drive games in a virtual bedroom. It even supports multiplayer:

• Advertisement

Since Techmoan got a mention I have to suggest The 8-bit guy who collaborated with him on a video.
    His videos are on the more technical side of retro gaming and computing and he even made his own game for the c64 with plenty of videos of its production.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adric22

He also has a second channel called 8-bit Keys for those who like old video game music and old keyboards which feature similar fm chips to those used in Adlib cards.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcTt3O4_IW5gnA0c58eXshg

Techmoan also did a collaboration with RetroManCave recently, and RetroManCave has a podcast interview with BanjoGuyOllie.

It's great to see collaborations going on between channels.

BGOllie wrote: »
    Game chasers have gone to hell

Yeah, I still watch the episodes, and while the production quality is still high, the constant 'dicking around' gets tiresome real fast.
    and Pat the Punk is becoming increasingly irrelevant(er)

Unsubbed from Pat a long time ago. That podcast where the two of them sit pontificating and general condescending turned me right off him.

Norm (Gaming Historian) puts out seriously good content too, and comes across as a really nice chap. Norm & Kim Justice would probably be my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agree with both points above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I couldn't be more out of the loop with retrogaming channels. I think the slew of 'three american dudes sitting around talking about NES games I've played a million times already' thing turned me off them.

Anything recommended from more documentary/genuinely interesting point of view?

Way too many turned out to be gamergate sh*tgoblins for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

o1s1n wrote: »
    I couldn't be more out of the loop with retrogaming channels. I think the slew of 'three american dudes sitting around talking about NES games I've played a million times already' thing turned me off them.

Anything recommended from more documentary/genuinely interesting point of view?

I watch most videos from these two guys

Luke moorse

American guy based in Japan, does mostly Arcade gameplay and repairs.

Classic Gaming Quarterly

Does very good videos on retro console launches

Has another channel also, talking about his youth and video games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Watching Techmoan has cost me a fortune :)
    I like my modern and vintage audio/video tech, and he always seems to have something up that I'm interested in and end up buying.

I used to enjoy Loading Ready Run when it came to games and gaming humour but they have gone a little like MTV, less and less about their original mission profile and more and more about other stuff, less relevant to me stuff.

I was a fan and patreon supporter of CGR but Mark has packed in Youtube I think and moved to the Amazon platform, which I can't access as easily, so I stopped the patreon monies and haven't watched a video of his in a while.

Even the central joke of Zero Punctuation has gotten less funny now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Doge wrote: »
    So the Sega Genesis collection for PS4 got a free PSVR patch where you can play mega drive games in a virtual bedroom. It even supports multiplayer:

I WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY POST THAT REFERENCES THE MEGA DRIVE BY THAT NAME!

AGUtH4G.png

• Advertisement

50 Hz dumpster fire.... although the SNES does look so much sexier than the US model.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement