Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

More torture to watch on the Vega+!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just watched The Story of Tetris. Interesting, albeit a little too early in the morning to keep up with who gave rights to who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just watched The Story of Tetris. Interesting, albeit a little too early in the morning to keep up with who gave rights to who.

This?

Fantastic piece of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Inviere wrote: »
    This?

Fantastic piece of work

Oh wow, I gotta watch this as I've been on a gaming documentary binge lately.

Yeah, it was really well done. I'd say non-gamers could enjoy it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Hi Folks,
    Not sure what thread to post this on. But looking to get a made up barcade from someone /somewhere reliable? any suggestions? Thanks

Hi Folks,
    Not sure what thread to post this on. But looking to get a made up barcade from someone /somewhere reliable? any suggestions? Thanks

It's a bartop you're looking for unless you want to set up a bar full of arcade machines! ;)

Are you looking to buy a finished one with games and everything installed already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Doge wrote: »
    More torture to watch on the Vega+!

Great review of other bits and bobs available too. I had a Dandanator which Brendan Alford(who was name checked in that video for his diagnostic prog, put together for me) Good bit of inexpensive kit. Brendan is an Irish Spectrum wizard.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Used to work with Benny many moons ago, clever guy alright :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want a Spectrum Omni now....

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yeah, it was really well done. I'd say non-gamers could enjoy it too.

It was indeed. There's a ridiculously rare Mega Drive port of Tetris that was never released due to Nintendo winning the console and handheld rights to the game, but copies of it do exist.

This probably wasn't specifically brought up in the video because naturally any of Sega's arcade titles ended up on the Mega Drive anyway, but it's an interesting note nevertheless. At least Atari/Tengen got plenty of their own copies of the game out the door before Nintendo's legal wrath came to surface.

(I'm also of the impression that this may have led to Sega making Columns, which I've admittedly played so much more of than Tetris.)

And, as great as it was that Henk Rogers went through all that effort to win the rights to the game and Pajitnov eventually got paid for his iconic work, The Tetris Company has been viewed as a burden on creativity and inspiration in the video game industry. Any game that looks or plays remotely Tetris-esque? Cease & Desists galore, which is why I have very little respect for Rogers and Pajitnov.

Also let's not forget he messed with Vladimir Pokhilko's chances of getting royalties from Tetris, leading to Pokhilko suffering bad financial stress and eventually murdering his wife, son then himself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a BBC documentary on tetris as well which I'd highly recommend

As for columns it wasn't developed by Sega. It was licensed by them and was originally a western home computer game.

Always thought columns was a very mediocre puzzler. Tetris was way better. Neither hold a candle to panel de pon or the godly puyo puyo.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Always thought columns was a very mediocre puzzler. Tetris was way better. Neither hold a candle to panel de pon or the godly puyo puyo.

Which is funny as Sega released Puyo Puyo Tetris a few years ago. Have never played it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What year do the 2 tetris documentaries go up to?

Do they mention "tetris the grand master" series at all.

Tetris on the PS3 is very like it and very good.

This is the end of one of the grand master games, the fallen blocks turn invisible but he is still flying along

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Infernum wrote: »
    Which is funny as Sega released Puyo Puyo Tetris a few years ago. Have never played it though.

Puyo Puyo is a Compile property but the rights were bought up by Sega when they went bankrupt. It's probably why you have the mini game boss in sonic mania as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You guys ever give Magical Drop II a go at 2 player? It's insanely fast and competitive if you've two people who are decent players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There are so many Tetris docs I forget what was an wasn't included in the BBC version.

I remember enjoying one called Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters about the NES world record holders.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I want a Spectrum Omni now....

They look excellent, i toyed with idea of getting one but couldn't justify it after spending silly money on the Next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Infernum wrote: »
    Friend really enjoyed it and so did their brother so seems good.

I'll stick to the many many Panel De Pon clones, Tetris Attack is my favourite, the one in Animal Crossing is good too

I played the Puyo Puyo machine in Yakuza 6. Very good game but way beyond my puzzle game capabilities:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I played the Puyo Puyo machine in Yakuza 6. Very good game but way my puzzle game capabilities:o
    Be glad it's an easy boss battle in Sonic Mania, otherwise I'd have been stuck at that point.

So many versions of Tetris going around now it would make your head spin.

It's a bartop you're looking for unless you want to set up a bar full of arcade machines! ;)

Are you looking to buy a finished one with games and everything installed already?
    yeah

yeah

If you're not going to DIY one yourself prepare for expensive prices.

Mini Arcade Systems seem to be the only established business making them in Ireland, but they're a grand each.

https://miniarcadesystems.com

Jack Burton who's a regular user on here tried them at the 8-bit gaming conference last year and said they seemed well built.

They built one for Conor McGregor:

There's also 3 bartops for sale on adverts.ie at the moment prices between €700 and €750 but there may be room to haggle.

https://touch.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_Bartop/

There's some nice bartops being made in the UK but will probably cost more than 700 by time you ship them over and you run the risk of having them damaged in transit.

So yeah, a lot of money can be saved if you built one yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hi Folks,

Is this for personal use or in a premises?

They are not too hard to build, but everyone seems to be looking for so much for these things.
    As pointed out elsewhere, €700 is full size arcade cabinet money.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    As pointed out elsewhere, €700 is full size arcade cabinet money.

And a fancy one at that!

Typing of the Dead arrived today, had a little stamp on the back saying thank you in Japanese and English which was a nice touch.

I have 2 more parcels from Japan on the way, I'm hoping I can get away with paying VAT on them because charging it on second hand goods that are exclusive to Japan and 20 years old is just absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Mini Arcade Systems seem to be the only established business making them in Ireland, but they're a grand each.

Jack Burton who's a regular user on here tried them at the 8-bit gaming conference last year and said they seemed well built.

There's also 3 bartops for sale on adverts.ie at the moment prices between €700 and €750 but there may be room to haggle.

There's some nice bartops being made in the UK but will probably cost more than 700 by time you ship them over and you run the risk of having them damaged in transit.

Sure did, I didn't get in depth with them but external build quality seemed very professional.

In other news....does anyone have a lead on a nice pal cop of alien soldier?

This time last year I had 2 copies...kind of regret selling now. Been picking up a few mega drive games over the last month and would definitely hoping to add that one back

Thanks so much for this info. Very helpful.

I actually put together raspberry pi myself and have the nitro game controllers. Then I found I the game pads didn't really work well with classic games so I bought a C64 joystick. This was slightly better but the buttons aren't in a great position.

Then I thought, heck if you want to play retro games you need to have something like a bartop with decent stick and buttons.

So here is my next problem...

In those ads there are: happ style sticks and some other style.

Any advice on what to look out for for sticks?

And similarly for buttons?

Like I am assuming there are ones that you simulate the arcade feel better than others?

Thanks a million

• Advertisement

I think a decent stick is far more economical and ergonomic for that matter. Have a look about for something by Hori or Madcats with Sanwa parts for PS3 or PS4 will work fine with the Pi and if its not current you may find a bargain. To be honest I think the standard Hori sticks with their own clone parts are pretty excellent as well unless you're a competitive vs fighter. I've Soul Calibur 2 and Fight Stick 2 here and they've lasted 10+ years with fairly frequent use still work perfectly.

Any advice on what to look out for for sticks?

And similarly for buttons?

Like I am assuming there are ones that you simulate the arcade feel better than others?

I think Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks would be the ones to go for.

The Seimitsu have a shorter throw generally, the sanwas are a bit looser.

It all comes down to personal preference really.

Maybe some of the arcade fighter heads on here can give a more in depth comparison.

Master of the Universe

I've used Seimitsu now for so many years in so many devices that whenever I use a Sanwa they feel like they're broken!

Although I don't spend my time trying to do fireballs and dragon punches so I guess I'd appreciate that if I did.

They've a few videos up of this screen, it's really cool
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnWBEPYHzf8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=104or1i0d3k4g

I think Sanwa and Seimitsu sticks would be the ones to go for.

The Seimitsu have a shorter throw generally, the sanwas are a bit looser.

It all comes down to personal preference really.

Maybe some of the arcade fighter heads on here can give a more in depth comparison.

Shmup fans use Seimetsu sticks, Fighting game fans tend to use Sanwa. It's personal preference though. I prefer to use Seimetsu for everything myself.

Buttons again are personal preference. I tend to go for Sanwa as you could press them with a feather while Seimetsu take (barely noticeably) more pressure.

You can't really go wrong with either.

Anyone see the Polymega? Plays disc games and cartridges. PlayStation, TurboGrafx-CD, Sega CD, Neo Geo CD, and Sega Saturn along with separately sold cartridge modules for Mega Drive, NES, SNES and Turbo Grafx 16.

$250, plus the cost of the cartridge modules. It installs games to the system so you don't have to keep swapping them out. Region free too. Pricey but could be interesting. The Retron5 is geared more towards Nintendo so this looks appealing...

• Advertisement

The Saturn side of it interests me. Vanilla display by the looks of it though, so not gonna be pretty unless you've an external method of generating scanlines.

Master of the Universe

Id never usually be interested in something like that but it actually looks super slick!

The module changing thing reminds me of the Pioneer Laser Active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

It wouldn't be for me but it might go down well with the hipsters.

Have they explained how the Sega Saturn stuff is going to work. I know they've been making big inroads with Yabause lately in terms of compatibility with it still not being terrifically system intensive but they're still going to need something a little more punchy than a Raspberry Pi in there.

Someone in the comments pointed out that's Arcade Sega Rally in the trailer I was thinking myself that looks pretty amazing are they filtering the textures or something?

• Advertisement

Looks lovely tbh, but my Retron5 got very little play, I don't imagine this would be any different.

So checking out the prices for the ready made bartops and they are pricey. Is there another option whereby you can kinda get a flatpack and make it yourself?

Note: any sawing, cutting etc, I am useless at - has to be like Ikea if you know what I mean.

Thanks

The Ninja Warriors Is Getting A Remaster In The Vein Of Wild Guns Reloaded
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/05/the-ninja-warriors-is-getting-a-remaster-in-the-vein-of-wild-guns-reloaded/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I really liked Ninja Warriors but never got that far into it, thought Kunoichi was a really cool.character

A secret in Doom II was discovered recently which had not being discovered in 24 years of its existence.

https://twitter.com/romero/status/1035625146458025984?s=20

Have they explained how the Sega Saturn stuff is going to work. I know they've been making big inroads with Yabause lately in terms of compatibility with it still not being terrifically system intensive but they're still going to need something a little more punchy than a Raspberry Pi in there.

That's what I've been wondering. We've all seen the retro systems do Nes, Snes, etc...but Saturn is different. It's emulation isn't perfect, neither with software, nor hardware like FPGA. I'm wondering how they'll do this...

This is the old RetroBlox system reborn so its using emulation to some degree, maybe they'd presumed Saturn emulation would have substantially by the time they were ready to ship..

Saturn emulation will never be good unless they go really low level ala BSNES. With two processors and two video processing units there's just too much reliance on timing of data between all 4 components. FPGA might be able to come close but it will take a significant amount of work.

So, just buy a Saturn.... then region mod it.... get an RGB while you're at it too....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Saturn emulation will never be good unless they go really low level ala BSNES. With two processors and two video processing units there's just too much reliance on timing of data between all 4 components. FPGA might be able to come close but it will take a significant amount of work.

The SH-2 core used in Saturn has been implement on FPGA already so the rest should be easy peasy right ?

The SH-2 core used in Saturn has been implement on FPGA already so the rest should be easy peasy right ?

Genuine tech question, if they can program an FPGA to emulate the SH-2 core, what's stopping them accomplishing same with software?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement