Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

If I watch Sci-fi, I like to see cool space ships & aliens not a goddamn
    book shelf
    MURRRRRPH!
    Steve X2 wrote: »
    Speaking of SciFi, girlfriend told me last week she’d never seen Star Wars in English and had only seen the first one back in the 80’s. So, I grabbed the de-specialized edition of the original 3 movies and we sat down and watched them in one day(on a nice big 150” projector screen in HD). It was awesome and the de-specialized editions of these movies is the only way to see them if you ask me.

Then, something terrible happened, she knew of these “other” 3 Star Wars movies!! So with a heavy heart and tearful eyes I grabbed them and we watched them over 2 days. The horror, the gods damn horror of it!! Jar Jar, crappy and overused CGI, stupid kid Anakin actor, stupid adult Anakin actor, Jar Jar, gods damn Jar Jar!!!

Anyway, my faith is restored in her, she thought they were pretty crappy and the original movies were 100 times better. Also she thought the Anakins were crap actors. I will say, Episode 3 is not as bad as I remember it apart from the Anakin and Padme scenes so that was almost bearable.

Again, if you’re a fan and have not seen the de-specialized editions you are doing yourself a disservice.
    Meh. I'd rather wait for the possible BD release of the series rather than view some hack job fan remaster of varying quality due to the usage of multiple sources. It's just a shame that it will not contain the victory celebration theme instead of that awful Yub Nub one at the end of the original Jedi. I also feel that they should keep the effects fixes and not the other "fixes" like all that CG stuff.

Also, you're dislike of the Prequels are pure hyperbole. They're not good, but they didn't make me as angry as, say, The Amazing Spiderman movies.
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Yep. Rewatched Alien recently and everything in there actually makes sense. Don't know why Hollywood finds it so difficult to tell coherent stories these days.
    I feel as though this is relevant.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2013/06/12/film-crit-hulk-smash-the-age-of-the-convoluted-blockbuster

Thankfully movies like Fury Road aren't a part of that, because, why would it need that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It may well be relevant, but I genuinely can't read anything that guy writes. I wonder if anyone has made a chrome extension to remove all the caps from his essays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

MURRRRRPH!

Meh. I'd rather wait for the possible BD release of the series rather than view some hack job fan remaster of varying quality due to the usage of multiple sources. It's just a shame that it will not contain the victory celebration theme instead of that awful Yub Nub one at the end of the original Jedi. I also feel that they should keep the effects fixes and not the other "fixes" like all that CG stuff.
    You are of course entitled to your opinion on the de-specialized editions. But I assume you have actually watched them to come to that opinion? Which version did you watch? The reason I ask is that this is an evolving project and sure, a couple years ago it was probably pretty rough looking.
    Also, you're dislike of the Prequels are pure hyperbole. They're not good, but they didn't make me as angry as, say, The Amazing Spiderman movie

Hmm, so you know my opinion better than myself? Cool trick bro ;0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

By all accounts, those de-specialized versions are incredibly well done. Must give them a watch some day, from memory though they're a monster download

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Aliens Special Edition and Abyss Special Edition are probably the films that started the directors cut ball rolling, along with Blade Runner.
    Aliens had some cuts that made no sense at all, though those elements, such as the sentry guns, were in the novelisation.
    The Abyss was not appreciated at the time, aside from the CGI, but the film was a massive tribute to the art of physical effects work, and the documentary The Abuse is well worth watching, I think it's on the DVD and Blu of the film. The cuts made a very long movie into a merely long movie but also lost some pretty important stuff from the final reel, elements that made the ending make a lot more sense.
    Blade Runner, that is as mad as a box of frogs.
    Not only is it barely recognisable compared to the original novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but I think the Blu I have of it has three different versions on there, with narration, without narration and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    By all accounts, those de-specialized versions are incredibly well done. Must give them a watch some day, from memory though they're a monster download

Very well done indeed , I think the guy who started the project got a nice job out of the exposure. When you look at some side by side comparisons of a few scenes you really see how much of the movie you are missing because of Mr Lucas and his minions aggressive (much darker) re-colour grading of the originals. They guys running this despecialized project are not just trying to remove CGI Jabba etc, they are restoring the original colour grading, and a whole lot more.

Not every movie needs a heavy blue/brown filter over everything :)

The best thing about the Aliens: Special Edition is the scene added near the beginning in which Ripley is told that her daughter had grown old and died during her time in cryosleep. That simple little scene adds so much to the relationship between Ripley and Newt... crazy that the scene was not in the original version.

A Big Trouble in Little China remake featuring The Rock as Jack Burton?? Good god, that's it, stop the planet, I want to get off...

Hmm, so you know my opinion better than myself? Cool trick bro ;0)
    It's all in the wrist, friendo.
    Very well done indeed , I think the guy who started the project got a nice job out of the exposure. When you look at some side by side comparisons of a few scenes you really see how much of the movie you are missing because of Mr Lucas and his minions aggressive (much darker) re-colour grading of the originals. They guys running this despecialized project are not just trying to remove CGI Jabba etc, they are restoring the original colour grading, and a whole lot more.

Not every movie needs a heavy blue/brown filter over everything
    I'd be inclined to say "get the original cinematographer" for the official release, but isn't he dead now? Which could very well be a problem if the unaltered release still manages to get the colours all wrong.

Also, I heard that there's a 4K scan of the originals made recently. I can only hope that we get that soon enough.
    The best thing about the Aliens: Special Edition is the scene added near the beginning in which Ripley is told that her daughter had grown old and died during her time in cryosleep. That simple little scene adds so much to the relationship between Ripley and Newt... crazy that the scene was not in the original version.

I believe Cameron himself said that the Special Edition is his preferred version. The same can't be said about his T2 SE, I think, even though it adds that scene which explains why the T-800 becomes more emotive.

Also, I heard that there's a 4K scan of the originals made recently. I can only hope that we get that soon enough.

Really? Nice

• Advertisement

Really? Nice
    Done by Reliance Media Works.

https://vimeo.com/95919913

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

A Big Trouble in Little China remake featuring The Rock as Jack Burton?? Good god, that's it, stop the planet, I want to get off...
    I'm not long after sending it to Jack Burton on Facebook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not long after sending it to Jack Burton on Facebook.

Yeah,
    I stuck this up a little while ago on another thread here
    Seems like the next Big Trouble movie will have this unknown as Jack Burton instead....

queue NERD RAGE!

DWR9iFDQienhA9d9YkNA_The%20Rock%20Be%20Cool.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In fairness to Mr. Johnson, and the fact that they've got decent scriptwriters, this will mostly come down to the director and the amount of interfering the studio does. As I said on FB this morning, I'm hesitantly optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I believe the only reason Jack Burton is interested in that TNG pin is to beat someone to death with it after hearing the above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the original cut of Aliens is what people should watch first. The whole colonist sequence really breaks the tension of what is about to come at the start of the film. However the Special Edition is definitely the one to go to when revisiting it.

Under no circumstances should anyone watch the regular edition of Dark City first. Completely ruins the film by spoiling it in an opening naration. Directors Cut is vastly superior, wish I could have seen that one first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I like the rock, hes does the whole roided up guy thing well but nobody could ever even hope to capture the magic of Big Trouble in Little China. Yet another remake that doesnt need to happen...first tmnt and not big trouble, and talks now of the monster squad. Nothing is sacred :(

Slightly off topic but i figured most of us here are pretty tech savvy. Looking to get myself an andriod box for the living room, has anyone have any recommendations or will I build something myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I like the rock, hes does the whole roided up guy thing well but nobody could ever even hope to capture the magic of Big Trouble in Little China. Yet another remake that doesnt need to happen...first tmnt and not big trouble, and talks now of the monster squad. Nothing is sacred :(

Slightly off topic but i figured most of us here are pretty tech savvy. Looking to get myself an andriod box for the living room, has anyone have any recommendations or will I build something myself?

Theres a dedicated thread here which would be worth asking on too...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057066642

The Mele F10 deluxe is a remote that acts like a wii wireless controller for selecting the icons which is worth getting too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This video was linked on HG101 and is a fascinating look at the Sega Saturn hardware. The guys English isn't great so put on english captions. Really goes in depth into how Saturn hardware worked, why transparencies were a problem for the machine and how some games got around this. It also goes into why 3D was so difficult for the system. It had nothing really to do with the dual processor set up but more to do with the dual video processors were only one of the video chips could handle polygons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Blur's new video for 'Ong Ong'

Corholio wrote: »
    Blur's new video for 'Ong Ong'

I was gonna share it but I wasn't sure if I thought its fantastic because it is or because I'm a Blur fangirl lol.
    Have to get the new album soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Finally some retro wave synth music love. This makes up about 70% of the music I listen to, anytime I have a few hours of work to do I just throw on a playlist

https://www.youtube.com/user/NewRetroWave

https://www.youtube.com/user/LuigiDonatello

https://www.youtube.com/user/ManiacSynth

Those 3 channels are full of some some awesome music
    I'm guessing you saw this then?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1420158244/power-drive-2000/description

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Not retro in the slightest , but I DONT CARE!!
    Fallout ..fallout never changes ,
    (except when they improve the graphics and give you a chance to play in a pre-nuked world , and set it in in Boston)

Delighted for fallout 4...ive put a lot of hours into new vegas and fallout 3. The only thing annoying me is that I'll have to build myself a new pc now since my one is on its last legs.

As for powerdrive 2000, cant wait to get my hands on that, played the pre alpha and its already great

• Advertisement

I loved Fallout 3 and Oblivion, never owned New Vegas and, while I own Skyrim I've never put more than 10 minutes into it :(
    But this looks very nice although, I have to say, the visuals look a little low fi for a next gen game.
    Perhaps once it's moving and under player control it'll be more impressive.

I'll be getting Fallout 4 as soon as it is out but really find the Bethesda games and writing very soulless. Would love if they left it to someone like Obsidian because New Vegas was so much better than Fallout 3.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Not retro in the slightest , but I DONT CARE!!
    Fallout ..fallout never changes ,
    (except when they improve the graphics and give you a chance to play in a pre-nuked world , and set it in in Boston)

I do love how they have Radiation King TV sets in that series.

radiation_king.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the original cut of Aliens is what people should watch first. The whole colonist sequence really breaks the tension of what is about to come at the start of the film. However the Special Edition is definitely the one to go to when revisiting it.
    Whats the colonist sequence?

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats the colonist sequence?

LV42 or whatever before the marines get there when they discover the ship.

• Advertisement

This Might Be the Longest Video Game Title Ever

" Summer-Colored High School ★ Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going "

It's on Play Asia

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    LV42 or whatever before the marines get there when they discover the ship.

LV426 or Acheron.
    They have a sequence where the colony administration discuss the family being directed to check out grid coordinates, laughing at the bureaucracy as children scamper about at their feet and play games amongst the vents.... Hmm, wonder if that'll be important later....

Still a great edition to watch.
    You have to sit and drink in the building tension for a solid hour before a Xeno kicks it all off in the spooky basement.

Anyone here have a good idea of jap saturn prices? Looking to sell about 40 games.

Also have a heap NES games to shift. I may have purchased something I cant quite afford :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow one of my all time favourite films and thats the first I ever heard of it, I know what the first film I watch on my new laptop will be now...

Master of the Universe

Anyone here have a good idea of jap saturn prices? Looking to sell about 40 games.

Also have a heap NES games to shift. I may have purchased something I cant quite afford :D

Make it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sold listings on ebay is always going to be your best guide.
    don't be afraid to put them up on the marketplace here when you do go to sell them.

I plan on it. Ill put up a big sales thread the weekend and get it done. Need to have a clearout anyway. Have stuff already on adverts aswell

I plan on it. Ill put up a big sales thread the weekend and get it done. Need to have a clearout anyway. Have stuff already on adverts aswell
    I'm getting "The user you're looking for could not be found..." when I click on Adverts, maybe it's just me but thought I'd say it.

Just checked there, must sort that out tomorrow when im on the pc. Thanks

Just checked there, must sort that out tomorrow when im on the pc. Thanks
    Oh phew, lucky I said. No problem :)
    If I Google it comes up for some reason so here's the AdvertsLink

• Advertisement

Ah it works now. So everyone can buy away now :)

Tomorrowland is really good by the way. Trailers don't do it justice. Be sure to try and see it on the big screen while you can. Doesn't seem to be doing too well at the box office so may not be around long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks like the guy that make the Dreamcast SD card interface has done a Saturn version :)

Tomorrowland is really good by the way. Trailers don't do it justice. Be sure to try and see it on the big screen while you can. Doesn't seem to be doing too well at the box office so may not be around long.

I must try to see it though it will probably be a matinee on my lonesome as my son has already seen it.
    Damn being billynomates !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tomorrowland pissed me off. Bird is such a great spectacle director and remains so, but the script ruins all the good, promising ideas the film has. I've never minded Damon Lindelof before (well not as much as others do), but his work with the film is an absolute mess with contradictory and weirdly condescending themes - let alone the barely coherent mechanics of Tomorrowland itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Video Games Live will be returning to Ireland on Sunday May 1st 2016, again as part of the Dublin International Game Music Festival. No word on tickets/ prices as yet.

This year's show was great and I hope they learnt their lesson with charging too much off the bat. There was a good crowd there but they really could have packed the place out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is funny and depressing at the same time.

Kids, eh? :)

Master of the Universe

That is depressing beyond words :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you don't want to see their introduction to the NES then.
    they were playing the first level of SMB, and half of them got killed by the first goomba.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's all that bad. I'm pretty sure everyone was like that when they played those games first. The first goomba in SMB is meant to kill most players and is there to teach the player how the death mechanics work.

Also Contra one of the hardest NES games ever? I'm not sure where it got that reputation as it's one of the easiest I've played and when I sat down to beat it it took me less than a day to get through the whole thing. Also the 30 lives cheat is not essential and in fact works against the player since you have so many lives to work with you get careless and don't learn the games patterns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement