Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Really hoping for a physical console release of shenmue. Hopefully it'll be an option with enough funding.

Maybe a 10 disc dreamcast version too :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

03-01-2015, 12:01

Hey Guys long time no see !!!, so Shenmue 3 is coming ;)

Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not to mention the original Mother getting a western release too..New Sega console next? :eek:
    I'll eat a hat if that's the case. Preferably the Nacho Man hat.

2313556732_13eba22f03.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Last Guardian clip looked very nice, has that Team ICO feel to the game. Hard to get excited about much of the stuff though, no doubt it'll all running on hugely expensive pc hardware or else is nothing but pre rendered cut scene animations. Plus, the cringe levels were high at some of the stuff....some of those cheers/clapping have to be paid for shills :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Looking at that Doom preview and I can already hear babies crying about graphical downgrades when it finally releases.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Looking at that Doom preview and I can already hear babies crying about graphical downgrades when it finally releases.
    I'm just hoping it can run at 60fps on consoles, just like the previous engine was built to do.

While I don't believe graphical fidelity should define a game or its merit, I have to say I do empathise with people who get ticked off to see a shiny, impressive, next generation looking game being presented - only for it to turn out to be consciously downgraded to ensure parity. Watchdogs on PC is case in point, all the fancy settings were unearthed by users who were able to turn them back on again. Parity needs to cease, or if not, presentations shouldn't be based on an undeliverable product.
    I'm just hoping it can run at 60fps on consoles, just like the previous engine was built to do.

It's a sorry state of affairs to be hoping for 60fps on new generation consoles in 2015 :o I don't say that as a 'fanboy' of any particular platform, but give me higher frame rates over higher resolutions any day of the week.

People need to stop pre-ordering stuff. Judge the game on what it actually looks like when it's finally released.

The PC games industry simply wouldn't exist without the console industry to prop it up.

I see a lot of people annoyed that Dark Souls 3 is only a 'maybe' for PC at the moment and pointing to how many copies the first two shifted on PC... but how many of those copies are from steam sales? Where as the bulk of console game sales take place in the first few weeks at full price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

but how many of those copies are from steam sales? Where as the bulk of console game sales take place in the first few weeks at full price.

Don't forget the ethically dubious CD key sites!

It genuinely baffles me when PC players bemoan the existence of exclusive AAA games on the format, when their very spending habits are the ones that have created the situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That would have been the sound track to the PS port of the game, very creepy!

• Advertisement

Disappointing Nintendo event overall, Metroid looks like lightweight fare aimed at kids, Star Fox looks nice but, again, all a bit simplistic.
    No Mario Sunshine, no WiiU Zelda :(

People need to stop pre-ordering stuff. Judge the game on what it actually looks like when it's finally released.

+1 to that, fully agree there.
    The PC games industry simply wouldn't exist without the console industry to prop it up.

That may be, but for me, it doesn't excuse the act of presenting games in a manner that they can't be delivered upon. Parity is a bad thing in my opinion, pc gaming & console gaming always had a bit of a divide between them. Intentionally decreasing the quality of one to serve the other just pisses people off.
    I see a lot of people annoyed that Dark Souls 3 is only a 'maybe' for PC at the moment and pointing to how many copies the first two shifted on PC... but how many of those copies are from steam sales? Where as the bulk of console game sales take place in the first few weeks at full price.

Indeed, it's not really representative. If people want the game that bad & it's only on consoles....buy a console :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With Dark Souls though the community is really centered around the PC versions. Bloodborne really suffered not having a PC port in that regard especially in regards to fan made content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Grow Home on sale on Steam at the moment, very highly recommended! Smart, charming and innovative climbing game - Ubisoft should give the team responsible for it a chance at Assassins Creed, as it offers the more robust mechanics and razor sharp focus that series sorely needs!

Ha, Shenmue III funded already :) Stretch goals from here on out, really disappointed though there's no PS4 physical release, ah well.

48hrs ago you'd have given Retr0s left kidney for the game, today you are disappointed in no physical release???
    Perhaps they'll publish it in physical form on the Dreamcast 2, seeing as we are living in the age of miracles!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    48hrs ago you'd have given Retr0s left kidney for the game, today you are disappointed in no physical release???

I know I know, but I'd so much rather have a shelf of games than a collection of unseen files on a hdd somewhere :o I guess we can't be choosers in this case. Is it just me or will it feel totally wrong playing Shenmue III on a pc?? If there were ever a pure console game, Shenmue is it for me

The resolution wars seem to be over though, no more discussion about the place about p's or fps'ssss, is it resolved or has the herd moved on to other pastures to complain about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The whole graphical downgrade thing is something that annoys me now. Even though I'm not too pushed on graphics alone, dont show what it wont look like. Dark Souls 2 case in point, that beta looked x10 better than the release. I havnt played it on PC yet but im sure the community have made it look more like the beta by this stage

Pretty happy with Fallout 4 looking really great but not too good to be true, what we all saw is exactly what we'll get

• Advertisement

Pretty happy with Fallout 4 looking really great but not too good to be true, what we all saw is exactly what we'll get

That was the first thing I said to myself too when I seen the trailer. It seems very representative of what a final product will look like, & for that, it should be commended. You still get people whining though, wanting it to look better. You can't win.

People will always complain, like people complaining about no physical PS4 release for shenmue 3 :P

People will always complain, like people complaining about no physical PS4 release for shenmue 3 :P
    Are you sure it's only for the Kickstarter?

Are you sure it's only for the Kickstarter?

I've no idea, only joking with Enternow!

I'd imagine with the funding this will get a PS4 release will be on the cards

This is seriously cool. Oliver, you're a talented chap :)

eddhorse wrote: »
    I used Filebot to rename everything and sort out issues
    Myrddin wrote: »
    This will save me literally hours of work, thank you :)

Just wanted to thank you for that recommendation again. It's literally saved me days, if not weeks of menial file work. Renaming films is one thing, but when you factor in big TV shows the task becomes all the more painstaking. I must have renamed thousands of files of TV show stuff in a matter of a few hours.

All finished the migration now, movies & tv libraries up & running with all the great info provided by scrapers too. I'd one final hurdle, the MCE remote I have worked flawlessly with the exception of the 'i' or 'more' button (which expands the synopsis etc). It was looking like a mess of either registry editing or building keyboard.xml files to sort it out, but thankfully, I found this little gem that allowed me to sort it in seconds - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252 - it's a cool little piece of software that saved me more work.

Now, to get back to normal life - I'm goggle eyed looking at directories & naming conventions the last couple of days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Never heard of FileBot, looks very handy indeed and best of all available in a Synology NAS package :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

If Shenmue 3 gets a physical PS4 release I will buy a PS4. No sooner... (Unless Uncharted 4 catches my eye... Then sooner)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If Shenmue 3 gets a physical PS4 release I will buy a PS4. No sooner... (Unless Uncharted 4 catches my eye... Then sooner)

I was the same with The Last Guardian and buying a PS4, then Bloodborne came along and the rest is history. :pac:

Fair to say there's not a whole load of exclusives on PS4 just yet - especially if in ownership of a decent PC - but boy some of the ones they do have are among the few I'd actually care about. Bloodborne and Last Guardian are both definite 'system sellers' as far as I'd be concerned - thankfully there's enough other stuff (Disgaea 5 and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture in particular) to buff out the time between the big hitters ;) Oh, and Persona 5, even if there is a PS3 version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Just wanted to thank you for that recommendation again. It's literally saved me days, if not weeks of menial file work. Renaming films is one thing, but when you factor in big TV shows the task becomes all the more painstaking. I must have renamed thousands of files of TV show stuff in a matter of a few hours.

All finished the migration now, movies & tv libraries up & running with all the great info provided by scrapers too. I'd one final hurdle, the MCE remote I have worked flawlessly with the exception of the 'i' or 'more' button (which expands the synopsis etc). It was looking like a mess of either registry editing or building keyboard.xml files to sort it out, but thankfully, I found this little gem that allowed me to sort it in seconds - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252 - it's a cool little piece of software that saved me more work.

Now, to get back to normal life - I'm goggle eyed looking at directories & naming conventions the last couple of days!

No problem, ive been in that dark renaming pit also. I found that tool and it so easy to use. Renames the files and then the scrapers can identify everything.

I have a 3TB NAS that is connected to the RPi over the wireless/wired. Just moved to OSMC so need to redo the share setup.

Glad i could be of help.

Ill check out the software but i used the XBMCremote app (now the official Kodi remote app) on the iPhone for all the i and more options.
    I have a samsung remote too that works with it.

Official Kodi Remote by joethefox
    https://appsto.re/ie/SzEbF.i

• Advertisement

^ Ah the remote is all sorted now, I just had to change the keystroke that the 'i' button was sending to ctrl-D & all was sweet :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fair to say there's not a whole load of exclusives on PS4 just yet - especially if in ownership of a decent PC - but boy some of the ones they do have are among the few I'd actually care about. Bloodborne and Last Guardian are both definite 'system sellers' as far as I'd be concerned - thankfully there's enough other stuff (Disgaea 5 and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture in particular) to buff out the time between the big hitters ;) Oh, and Persona 5, even if there is a PS3 version!

They picked up a fair few on the show floor as well, particularly at the Square Enix event. Most exciting one for me being the Nier sequel. The first game was so brilliant. the writing was excellent and while the gameplay wasn't stellar it was great fun seeing how inventive the devs could be with it turning it from one moment into a brawler then a bullet hell shooter or even a text adventure. To see that kind of inventiveness and storytelling married to Paltinum game's expertise for amazing gameplay systems is very exciting.

Rom the pain in the hole spider more like :(

Meanwhile MS seem to be looking backwards by investing time & money in dragging the 360 back into relevance.

Good time to start hoovering up those PS3 classics now as well :)

I'm quite impressed by MS in how they're handling the backwards compatibility. To allow users to use their discs to unlock digital downloads is quite consumer friendly I'd have thought. They could have otherwise 'ported' the title to the One & charged users for them (I'm looking at you Nintendo). While it's hardly a console seller of a feature, as a collector of physical media it's something I'd applaud.

Rom the pain in the hole spider more like :(

She's even tougher in the Chalice Dungeons...

But its a case by case basis games are added so obviously popular games will be supported. This should have been available at the start of consoles lifespan not 18 months into where the previous generation should really be left behind and not sucking up resources - MS engineers had previously been quoted as saying the PowerPC was a b1tch to emulated on X86 so its obviously not a trivial/cheap task now.

They're still playing catch up to Sony after the whole media/games console flipflopping. Hopefully the gain a bit more traction as the last thing the industry needs is for Sony to become the overly cocky/dominant player again.

Meanwhile Sony have quietly added a media player to PS4 :)

As I said elsewhere, I reckon DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou will not be top of their agenda.

But its a case by case basis games are added so obviously popular games will be supported.

I'd say that's just a matter of testing though, to ensure the game works as it should & more importantly, doesn't offer up potential vulnerabilities to the system (see the initial Vita hacks using the PSP usermode). The fact it won't cost developers anything to have their 360 games available on the One means all the investment is in the emulator, & the games themselves needs no work to become functional. I reckon licensing rights aside, the majority of the 360 catalogue will be available on the One eventually.
    This should have been available at the start of consoles lifespan not 18 months into where the previous generation should really be left behind and not sucking up resources - MS engineers had previously been quoted as saying the PowerPC was a b1tch to emulated on X86 so its obviously not a trivial/cheap task now.

It should have been, but we all know MS screwed up the launch & direction of the One badly. Their entire focus was on Kinect, TV, & media. That didn't last long, & that new guy took over who genuinely seems to want to turn things around, obviously for business sake, but they've a successful feedback system whereby many user suggestions have been listened to & implemented. They've been lucky not to have been left in the dust of Sony given how badly the launch went.

As I said elsewhere, I reckon DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou will not be top of their agenda.

Feckindamnblastedshagginbuggerinarsebiscuits!

(Oddly enough my phones predictive text took exception to the above word, a word of my own design, to express frustration at the lack of urgency of making shooters the priority for compatibility with the Xbox One....)

• Advertisement

Just booked my tickets for Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses in November.

Not exactly cheap... but you can get the 15% off tickets using the code 'HeyListen'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Probably a lost cause at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Good video thanks, maybe might work out on the new Sega machine.
    Very simple ideas in fairness, ive only liked the first 3.

Yeah really good video. Great points and i like the whole rayman legends look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hey guys,

Just doing a Twitch playthrough of Shenmue 1 at the minute, thought you guys might be interested in checking it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/mistervestek

I'm quite impressed by MS in how they're handling the backwards compatibility. To allow users to use their discs to unlock digital downloads is quite consumer friendly I'd have thought. They could have otherwise 'ported' the title to the One & charged users for them (I'm looking at you Nintendo). While it's hardly a console seller of a feature, as a collector of physical media it's something I'd applaud.

I seem to remember suggesting this on a long since locked thread in the Games forum and getting abuse for the notion.
    But it is ideal, being able to pop your game in the drive and it act as a key, I presume.
    Here's hoping the uptake will be universal for all 360 publishers, but where does that leave the likes of Outrun 2006 HD where Sega lost the licence?

Here's hoping the uptake will be universal for all 360 publishers, but where does that leave the likes of Outrun 2006 HD where Sega lost the licence?

It doesn't cost publishers a penny to have their 360 game available on the One, so all things being equal, it's likely the uptake will be pretty large given the chance of increased sales too. Licensing issues would remain unchanged, at least, I don't see why the situation would change :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Didn't capcom lose some marvel licenses too, so they probably won't be compatible.

Although I don't see why it has to be an issue, you already own the game so just make them available to people who own the disc or who have previously downloaded and not to people who want to purchase the game for the first time. You can still redownload games you've purchased on Xbox live even if they've been removed.

There should be no licensing issues there. They are making the game backwards compatible not selling the licensed games again. Those games have Already been removed from circulation.

• Advertisement

I am simply thinking not of the countless XB1 exclusives to come but of a replacement for the 360 that will offer me more reliable access to my 360 collection without the worry that the console is going to just snuff it one day.
    I'll keep the peepers out for a cheap preowned machine, though I have to start saving for the NX next year soon, and a couple of games, console launches are only getting more expensive!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement