Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

why would someone want to do that when it probably has more shovelware than any other console?

Very true, madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I can never understand that myself either. I would prefer some of the better games for a few consoles, than all of games for one console. Each to their own though at the end of the day, if you have the money and the space. Was someone on here going for a full PS2 set?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

So apparently the Amiga is 30 years old today. Anyone else have fond memories playing it in their youth? Loved this machine, amazing graphics and sound and felt like a massive leap forward over the C64 and tape deck loading! (The C64 was awesome too ofc).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was very envious of my friends Amiga when I only had a C64. It had a cracking conversion of R-type and loved the versions of Theme Park, Syndicate etc. It also had the best version of worms since you could make your own levels using a paint program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So apparently the Amiga is 30 years old today. Anyone else have fond memories playing it in their youth? Loved this machine, amazing graphics and sound and felt like a massive leap forward over the C64 and tape deck loading! (The C64 was awesome too ofc).

went from my MSX 2 to the Amiga and man was it next gen !!
    I got involved with a demo group as well so I learned a lot on that machine. Loved it.
    Still love it in fact, I got it plugged in and often boot up a game just to leave the music on while I'm doing sth else
    10527720_10152565600078276_7765534558049011355_n.jpg?oh=86132901e0537fd4b59aec56e74644c2&oe=56151F7A

LongZ wrote: »
    went from my MSX 2 to the Amiga and man was it next gen !!
    I got involved with a demo group as well so I learned a lot on that machine. Loved it.
    Still love it in fact, I got it plugged in and often boot up a game just to leave the music on while I'm doing sth else

Yeah the music always stood out for me. So many great examples but one I always remember is Turbo Lotus 2 (as I called it). Flying down the highway with this blasting out of the tv was brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh man that tune is on my list to cover this year, along with the Jim Power one (which litteraly stole parts of a tune from Y's 3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

An Amiga was the stuff of dreams for me, & was way outta my league in terms of price as a kid :( It still holds a kind of grail place in my heart though, despite barely ever using one. I'd love to pick up a 1200 at some point, with the cf adapter/hdd etc installed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Right, I'm off on my holidays.
    On the ferry waiting to head off to France for a miserable 2 weeks of quality family time.
    I have the 3DS and PS Vita tucked away, just in case....

• I bought the original MDK for the PS1 recently....
    PS1 games look absolutely awful on HD tvs (Tested on PS3)

I'm going to try my PS2 with component out to see if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You won't get much better than component or HDMI unless you get a proper CRT with a Scart RGB cable. I think your problem is your choice in games, MDK is a pretty terrible port of the much better PC game which still looks decent :) When it comes to PS1 it depends on the developer. I'm playing FF7 and boy does it not hold up but something like Megaman Legends or Vagrant Story still look great.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Right, I'm off on my holidays.
    On the ferry waiting to head off to France for a miserable 2 weeks of quality family time.
    I have the 3DS and PS Vita tucked away, just in case....

keep an eye out for arcades!
    The campsites always have games .

keep an eye out for arcades!
    The campsites always have games .

Hey, seems like the boat has crappy WiFi!
    Best thing the arcade on board has is Ferrari F355 from Sega.

Had a sneaky go of Boxboy on the 3DS.... while the lounge had a magic show on... It was as bad as it sounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I loved my Amiga 600. Got the Pushover pack, decent enough puzzle game too.

Probably my absolute favourite was the first cannon fodder. Put serious hours into that game.

Love most of the Team17 stuff too, Superfrog must be near the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya on a bit of an Amiga buzz as well these days.

Haven't used my 500 is ages but since I picked up a 1200 from Alphaeagle last week I've been rediscovering my addiction :) Already bought a (fixer-upper) 600 on Ebay and considering some pricing accelerator cards for the 1200 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ya on a bit of an Amiga buzz as well these days.

Haven't used my 500 is ages but since I picked up a 1200 from Alphaeagle last week I've been rediscovering my addiction :) Already bought a (fixer-upper) 600 on Ebay and considering some pricing accelerator cards for the 1200 !!

Stick some extra mem and an accelerator card in the 1200 and it’s a completely different beast. And an internal CF HDD is a must these days as it adds so much for very little money(CF card and a 10 euro adapter).

You might be better off buying from Amibay for the addons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ya came with a 4GB CF Card already and messing about with WHLoad and such but definitely needs more memory. Probably get an ACA-1233 card for it, not sure if I'll modify the A600 too much though.

Ya came with a 4GB CF Card already and messing about with WHLoad and such but definitely needs more memory. Probably get an ACA-1233 card for it, not sure if I'll modify the A600 too much though.

Yeah, to get the most out of WHLoad you def need at least a bit of extra ram. I just have a floppy emulator and a bit of extra ram in my A600, the A1200 is beefed up a bit, but not so much I had to decase it and install in a tower like a lot of people do.

Thinking of taking a bit of a break from playing games for a while. Anyone ever get to a point where they just aren't enjoying anything they play? I've been like that the last few days, happens to me every so often. Time to catch up on TV and work a bit harder on a game project I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Thinking of taking a bit of a break from playing games for a while. Anyone ever get to a point where they just aren't enjoying anything they play?

Says the Final Fantasy 7 cynic who has spent the last several days replaying Final Fantasy 7 :p

Says the Final Fantasy 7 cynic who has spent the last several days replaying Final Fantasy 7 :p

Well that might be the cause of it. I turned it off the other night after 5 minutes because I wasn't really enjoying it. I'm trying to see what the fan translation is like but so far it adds nothing tothe game really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just incase anyone has some wwf games with hogans mug on them, right now might be the chance to cash in :p

http://gawker.com/wwe-erases-hulk-hogan-from-website-after-reports-of-rac-1719933145

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Just incase anyone has some wwf games with hogans mug on them, right now might be the chance to cash in :p

http://gawker.com/wwe-erases-hulk-hogan-from-website-after-reports-of-rac-1719933145
    I come home from Inside Out and this is the first thing I hear?

I can hear the defence forces and Goobers now.

"Hogan's just speaking his mind, and I respect that."

"WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH!?"

"But Hogan should have lots of black friends. Remember when he tagged with Mr. T at the very first WrestleMania?"

Turns out this God forsaken place in Brittany has an arcade and its high points include Mario Kart Arcade and Outrun 2, the latter of which I have beaten, albeit the easy course, with the novice car... still got the high score though.
    Seems like the the main player of racing games here are those children who wrestle with the steering wheel and controls, in the hope of coming first, despite the fact that the thing they are playing is, in fact, the attract mode demo as their dad has spent all the money on slots and pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Remember that time a dog was drowned in the background of a Hulk Hogan movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DinoRex wrote: »
    Remember that time a dog was drowned in the background of a Hulk Hogan movie?

That is just a complete mystery to me. Like...did they even notice it in the dailies? Was the budget so constrained and Hogan that difficult to work with that they couldn't just reshoot it, or even just use a different take?

Myrddin wrote: »
    An Amiga was the stuff of dreams for me, & was way outta my league in terms of price as a kid :( It still holds a kind of grail place in my heart though, despite barely ever using one. I'd love to pick up a 1200 at some point, with the cf adapter/hdd etc installed.

We got a second hand A500 as our Christmas present one year from the folks - one of the best pressies ever, up there with a BMX even! The keyboard got a bit wonky over time where it wouldn't register keypresses so you had to power off and on when switching games rather resetting with keys. Got it fixed in some underground repair shop on Parnell St, not sure if it was part of the old Peats shop that was there at the time. Good times. :)

Unrelated, anyone heard of Galak-Z? Coming out soon on PS4 and later on PC. 2D shooter where your shmup can also transform into a mech. :cool:

Looks cool.

Yeah it looks interesting and their last game skulls of the shogun is a bit of an under appreciated gem. Still the whole mech thing was done better in Hyperduel :P

I was just in the Saturday market in Dol de Bretagne and there was very little there, some PS2, 3 and 4 games, 360 and One and a load of DS and 3DS but everything pretty common.
    Might seeing by Rennes one of the days and see what's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

We got a second hand A500 as our Christmas present one year from the folks - one of the best pressies ever, up there with a BMX even! The keyboard got a bit wonky over time where it wouldn't register keypresses so you had to power off and on when switching games rather resetting with keys. Got it fixed in some underground repair shop on Parnell St, not sure if it was part of the old Peats shop that was there at the time. Good times. :)

Yeah. Think it was part of Peats. My shift and space bar keys took a pounding with Pinball Fantasies and had to be replaced. Think my modulator broke once and had to be repaired too. Finally realised you didn't need that thing if you just used a scart cable which was great as that thing really juts out at the back.

eddhorse wrote: »

Some of the enhancements are actually quite good. Will keep an eye on this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why do you trust anything from Gawker? :confused::confused:

Games Done Quick on Twitch, just finished Ghosts N' Goblins, coming up next Ghouls N' Ghosts.

I am brutal at these games

Just to say, Dinan here looks am awful lot like Yharnam... Just less beasts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shown at the Japan Wonder Festival.....

11781685_942062025850775_8645219224346007271_n.jpg?oh=4b64df941be73b34619d9e938a2464ae&oe=5641BE26

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

New CeX opening in Bray shortly. I can't wait to get my hands on all those cheap movie spin-offs for the PS2! Have been holding off on getting The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe for such an occasion.

Speaking of Bray,
    where is our pony owning bray member these days?

Speaking of Bray,
    where is our pony owning bray member these days?

uDRJk3e.jpg

I think he is too busy with his cabs to care about us anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Did he not get married earlier in the month?

Did he not get married earlier in the month?

Don't think so.I didn't see any of his cabs for sale.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't think so.I didn't see any of his cabs for sale.......

Funny you mention that as I'm thinking about selling the Aero - looks like I'll be moving to a new abode sometime soon. Have to downsize a bit! :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funny you mention that as I'm thinking about selling the Aero - looks like I'll be moving to a new abode sometime soon. Have to downsize a bit! :eek:

Ohhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

79a.gif
    I say sir, why not keep the Aero and loose the pantry?

Didn't you only do the abode shuffle last year?

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Didn't you only do the abode shuffle last year?

Time to move on, I found the pantry to be too small for my needs :pac:

Funny you mention that as I'm thinking about selling the Aero

Welcome back!
    Dont tempt me.
    I cleared out the dining room to make living space.
    Lasted 2/3 weeks now its filling up again.
    I now have an "office" upstairs that might start filling too.
    I am ****ed when I have to move house.

Master of the Universe

Welcome back!
    Dont tempt me.
    I cleared out the dining room to make living space.
    Lasted 2/3 weeks now its filling up again.
    I now have an "office" upstairs that might start filling too.
    I am ****ed when I have to move house.

Cheers dude!

Hah yeah, at this stage I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just buy a cheapo culchie mansion down the arse end of nowhere for space :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Cheers dude!

Hah yeah, at this stage I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just buy a cheapo culchie mansion down the arse end of nowhere for space :pac:
    €15k arcade
    http://www.daft.ie/11087217

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement