Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ah jayus the cabs are worth more than that !! Anyways isn't Bray pretty close to the arse end of nowhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Seen these posted in the Ninty forum, not the most elegant solution but still...better than sifting through carts. Apparently they remove easy enough & leave no residue/gunk behind - http://www.destructoid.com/these-n64-spine-labels-look-like-a-godsend-296810.phtml

296810-h1.jpg

€18 + shipping for the full set of US releases on etsy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was just putting away my carts since I moved to a bigger room in the house I stay in yesterday and was just thinking how handy these would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stolen from the gaming humour thread, this is so well done:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Cheers dude!

Hah yeah, at this stage I'm tempted to bite the bullet and just buy a cheapo culchie mansion down the arse end of nowhere for space :pac:

Dont move to Waterford anyway...what a ****hole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Has anyone had any deliveries delayed coming through Europe? UPS are driving my Nike order through Calais and their Customer Support on twitter are useless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anyone had any deliveries delayed coming through Europe? UPS are driving my Nike order through Calais and their Customer Support on twitter are useless...

Lets hope the migrants dont nick your Nikies and try to outrun the customs police! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Doge wrote: »
    Lets hope the migrants dont nick your Nikies and try to outrun the customs police! :P

Ha, I've been picturing that all day. Someone in a Jordan t-shirt and a pair of air max jumping out of a UPS truck and breaking for the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fell asleep in the sitting room watching The Thick of It and just woke up crippled but had a retro related dream.
    The missus's family owned a shopping centre and she was left it in the will and lived in it since it was closed.
    I finally decided to stay there and look around (after being with her for 7 years) and discovered it had a games shop from the 90s in it with all its old stock left behind.
    All perfectly preserved.
    I'm talking about boxed Snes, U.S. NTSC Snes, NES and games like Earthbound, chronic trigger, mana etc.
    Some mad fever dream exclusives as well. Like a Zelda themed Snes coloured like that sp handheld. But built out of Lego. A lego Star Wars battlefront special edition GameCube.
    Also, the store bizarrely for a games store had load of Lego sets. Indy, turtles. Star Wars transformers etc.
    the problem was, I was along in finding it. Other people had stayed over all too. These friends started to come over and take stuff. After they say my interest but not before. And then random people started pulling out stuff and taking it and it became a free for all.
    A retro heaven destroyed by the greed of people who had no interest in the stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Fell asleep in the sitting room watching The Thick of It and just woke up crippled but had a retro related dream.
    The missus's family owned a shopping centre and she was left it in the will and lived in it since it was closed.
    I finally decided to stay there and look around (after being with her for 7 years) and discovered it had a games shop from the 90s in it with all its old stock left behind.
    All perfectly preserved.
    I'm talking about boxed Snes, U.S. NTSC Snes, NES and games like Earthbound, chronic trigger, mana etc.
    Some mad fever dream exclusives as well. Like a Zelda themed Snes coloured like that sp handheld. But built out of Lego. A lego Star Wars battlefront special edition GameCube.
    Also, the store bizarrely for a games store had load of Lego sets. Indy, turtles. Star Wars transformers etc.
    the problem was, I was along in finding it. Other people had stayed over all too. These friends started to come over and take stuff. After they say my interest but not before. And then random people started pulling out stuff and taking it and it became a free for all.
    A retro heaven destroyed by the greed of people who had no interest in the stuff.

:pac:

The retro games & lego part sounded good, folks mooching in on your find - not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Andrew76 wrote: »
    :pac:

The retro games & lego part sounded good, folks mooching in on your find - not so much.

Yeah I know! They had absolutely no interest until I started poking around and then they were like adverts vultures.
    Wouldn't even let me have a drink of water earlier in the dream.
    The worse for thing was the feeling of disappointment when I woke and realised I hadn't scored a rake of free stuff.
    I really wanted to put that millennium falcon together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Might interest some : Gamer Motivation Profile https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

GQIvlPe.jpg

Got a pretty cool birthday cake last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

BIG IMAGE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So I got a psp 3000 over the weekend and thought about hacking it but I decided that I'm gonna invest in the physical games and start a small collection, since they are stupid cheap to get and hacking is great but I never play the games I find.

I'm not big into rpg's really and I know the psp was a beast for them but I might be tempted in picking up one or two 'easy' ones. Any recommendations on a decent and easy going rpg for psp?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Persona 3 Portable is a good accessible RPG but it can be tough and challenging. You kind of need a bit of a challenge in your japanese RPGs or you'll end up with a dull battle system like with FF7.

Another I'd recommend is Tactics Ogre. It's more strategy than RPG but it's a fantastic game with an incredible story that parallels the event of the Balkan war in the 1990's so expect a lot of ethnic cleansing which can lead to some very tough decisions to make since it's a non-linear story.

And if you want an action RPG then look no further than Ys Oath in Falghana which has an incredibly fast battle system and wonderful bosses and music.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Persona 3 Portable is a good accessible RPG but it can be tough and challenging. You kind of need a bit of a challenge in your japanese RPGs or you'll end up with a dull battle system like with FF7.

Another I'd recommend is Tactics Ogre. It's more strategy than RPG but it's a fantastic game with an incredible story that parallels the event of the Balkan war in the 1990's so expect a lot of ethnic cleansing which can lead to some very tough decisions to make since it's a non-linear story.

And if you want an action RPG then look no further than Ys Oath in Falghana which has an incredibly fast battle system and wonderful bosses and music.

Awesome, thanks Retr0. I P3P is a bit expensive to buy physically, and its €17.99 I think on psn to DL. I'll have to have a look around for a decent price on that.

I've heard of the Ys series, but always presumed it was a 'hardcore' rpg so never went near it, but I might now. Tactics Ogre sounds, involved, but I'll look into it too.

Kinda wanna try the Megaman games too. But they seem kinda pricey atm too.

Ys isn't that hardcore. It has levelling up but it's very much an action game rather than a RPG.

I've not played Maverick Hunter but Megaman Powered Up is a gem and one of the best games on the PSP. You can also find the free downloadable levels online, they were taken off PSN years ago but you can just stick the files on the memory stick to play them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ys Seven is probably a better entry point to the series. The difficulty is much more gentle (not that OiF is insurmountable or anything) so it might seem a bit weird jumping back from the harder games. Still a fantastic game, and a good way of figuring out if the style is for you.

• Advertisement

I've not played much of Seven but everyone seems to prefer Oath. Seven gets marked down due to there being far too much text especially considering how light the story is.

Awesome, thanks Retr0. I P3P is a bit expensive to buy physically, and its €17.99 I think on psn to DL. I'll have to have a look around for a decent price on that.
    It often goes on sale on PSN if you have a US account, watch the Atlus USA Facebook they usually post about it. Pal PSN it doesn't go on sale as often. You could play it and keep an eye out for physical copy?
    I'm not big into rpg's really and I know the psp was a beast for them but I might be tempted in picking up one or two 'easy' ones. Any recommendations on a decent and easy going rpg for psp?
    Breath of Fire 3 is on PSP, I loved 4 and haven't played 3 but I heard it's good, might be worth looking into to.

That Rare compilation of games on XBox One seems like excellent value for money and kind of tempting. That and Halo Master Chief Collection are absolute bargains for the content they contain. A few more games like that and I might have to get a XBox One.

It often goes on sale on PSN if you have a US account, watch the Atlus USA Facebook they usually post about it. Pal PSN it doesn't go on sale as often. You could play it and keep an eye out for physical copy?

Breath of Fire 3 is on PSP, I loved 4 and haven't played 3 but I heard it's good, might be worth looking into to.

I only have a eu account. So I'll hold out for a cheap copy of p3p for now.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4, interesting, I'll look into those too. Thanks

That Rare compilation of games on XBox One seems like excellent value for money and kind of tempting. That and Halo Master Chief Collection are absolute bargains for the content they contain. A few more games like that and I might have to get a XBox One.

I have it coming my way as we speak. I never use the xbone tbh, this will make me actually switch it on for the first time in months. I think I just hate the look of the xbone, it's so huge beside the ps4 and WiiU. I pray Microsoft bring out a very much slimmed down xbone in the next year, ugly looking yoke.

But yeah can't wait to play all those classics!

I only have a eu account. So I'll hold out for a cheap copy of p3p for now.

Breath of Fire 3 and 4, interesting, I'll look into those too. Thanks
    Ah grand, I'll keep an eye out.

4 is great fun, I played a bit of it again on Vita.

Retr0 played Riviera on PSP but I dunno if that would be of interest to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Boards.ie mobile site just advertised a Boeing 777 to me.
    I fear someone in Google has way overestimated my spending power!
    Also, if thry did know me and I did buy it, I'd trade it in for an Airbus a week later, let's be honest!

Jeanne D'arc was one of my favourites on psp, definitely worth a look particularly if your a fan of srps.. fire emblem and such,.

Ys Seven is probably a better entry point to the series. The difficulty is much more gentle (not that OiF is insurmountable or anything) so it might seem a bit weird jumping back from the harder games. Still a fantastic game, and a good way of figuring out if the style is for you.

So most of the Ys games are on psn at €10 each. If I had to pick one to start off with, which one would you go with?

Jeanne D'arc was one of my favourites on psp, definitely worth a look particularly if your a fan of srps.. fire emblem and such,.

I loved what I played of it but really Tactics Ogre is in another league of awesome when it comes to SRPGs. It's far and away the best in the genre.
    So most of the Ys games are on psn at €10 each. If I had to pick one to start off with, which one would you go with?

Seven or Oath, my preference would be oath.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having played and finished both, I'd definitely go with Ys Seven, simply because I feel it's more accessible and a better intro to the series. However they're both great games so you won't be going wrong either way :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Gave Galak-Z a bash during lunch, cool game. Controls will take a little while to master though. The VCR effect in the Options menus is cool (for those of us old enough to remember that they looked like). There's a few quid off if you have PS+ too. :)

So there's a new silent hill game out in October. Can't wait.... oh....

silentnil-758x4281.jpg

**** Konami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

i feel so sad when I see this.
    My game room's got konami logos everywhere. They were pretty much a sign of quality games for me on the MSX. I'd have bought anything konami blindfolded... but this ... :(

Now I don't want to cause undue panic and send the lot of you rushing to playasia's site with your credit cards at the ready but the Gal*Gun sequel is getting released tomorrow in Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now I don't want to cause undue panic and send the lot of you rushing to playasia's site with your credit cards at the ready but the Gal*Gun sequel is getting released tomorrow in Japan.

So, get your box of tissues at the ready!
    Also, hand lotion!

• Advertisement

LongZ wrote: »
    i feel so sad when I see this.
    My game room's got konami logos everywhere. They were pretty much a sign of quality games for me on the MSX. I'd have bought anything konami blindfolded... but this ... :(

Yeah sucks, Konami recently said they're pretty much ditching the console market and focusing on the gaming/slots side of things as its less risk and more profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

FFA60AE4-839A-4486-AC00-7EBD12B79248_zps5va9uupb.jpg

Heavy petting?

Ah for feck sake. First Konami now a Chinese company has bought out SNK Playmore. I'm optimistic it won't stop them making games but it's not ideal.

Expect more Chinese companies buying out Japanese games companies or funding projects that could be Japanese only, this and the RedAsh bail out by a Chinese company are the start. The ban on games has been lifted in China and lots of publishers and entertainment houses from China are moving to acquire their established development teams to exploit the new market.

Edit: Looks like the company that bought SNK mainly deals with Chicken farming. Seems to be an air of early Famicom boom about the Chinese games industry at the moment where many of the famous Japanese games companies came as subsidiaries of the likes of gas utility companies, etc. wanting to try and get their foot in the door of the lucrative market.

Maybe the Chickens fancy a bit of Metal Slug :)

• Advertisement

Who knows what lies ahead in terms of development, certainly it'll be no harm to see some output from people other than Ubi and EA.
    But I suppose, looking down the road, we could see the likes of From being forced to create to a schedule and a committee, with the same results as Silent Hill and Metal Gear.
    Or will auteurs always find an outlet for their genius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Maybe the Chickens fancy a bit of Metal Slug :)

latest?cb=20101215043615

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I picked it up there the other day. Noticed they didn't have any copies out on the shelves so thought they might have sold out so I inquired about it. They went and found the big delivery box of them that they hadn't opened yet (this was 2 days after release) Just goes to show how little interest there is in the Xbox One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

DinoRex wrote: »
    I picked it up there the other day. Noticed they didn't have any copies out on the shelves so thought they might have sold out so I inquired about it. They went and found the big delivery box of them that they hadn't opened yet (this was 2 days after release) Just goes to show how little interest there is in the Xbox One.

I just cant see myself making the jump ps4 or xbox one. It doesn't say much for a console when some of the most wanted games are compilations of games that ran on hardware that had a fraction of the power that the current generation has available. I'm not arguing with the quality of the games on those compilations as I spent many an hour playing many of the Rare titles and a fair bit of Halo. It's great to see a physical release all the same, but it's just not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I just got the xbox one because I had the opportunity to get it for €200. But barely use the thing.

I do like my PS4 a lot though. Bloodborne alone made the purchase worthwhile.

Other than for indie titles I don't really game too much on PC at all, find it a bit of a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Ikarugaandroid.gif

Ikaruga G-Gee

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ggee.vividruntime.gg_1638&hl=en

Slight reduction, down to €3.62, on the Google Play store, until the end of August.

Looks lovely, the reviews are so so.. A fair bit of whinging.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Ikarugaandroid.gif

Ikaruga G-Gee

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ggee.vividruntime.gg_1638&hl=en

Slight reduction, down to €3.62, on the Google Play store, until the end of August.

Looks lovely, the reviews are so so.. A fair bit of whinging.

Instabuy!
    Of course, I have it on the GC and I have a "copy" on the DC and suck at them both!
    Maybe I'll have more luck with this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Read the reviews CiDeRmAn, there's nothing wrong with the visuals, but G-Gee have dragged their heels with their products 'playing nice' with Android 5.xx. Depends very much on the specific phone you own.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Read the reviews CiDeRmAn, there's nothing wrong with the visuals, but G-Gee have dragged their heels with their products 'playing nice' with Android 5.xx. Depends very much on the specific phone you own.

And I've uninstalled it :(

Doesn't seem to like my Nexus 6 and Lollipop 5.1.1 at all.
    Feck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

DinoRex wrote: »
    I just got the xbox one because I had the opportunity to get it for €200. But barely use the thing.

I do like my PS4 a lot though. Bloodborne alone made the purchase worthwhile.

Other than for indie titles I don't really game too much on PC at all, find it a bit of a hassle.

At 200 you had to buy it, they don't pop often at that price. At the moment I'm picking up ps and Saturn stuff, I know if I got xbox1 or ps4 it would only gather dust.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement