Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Submitted the podcast as an entry to the Irish Web Awards for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Folks if one of you want to create a thread for these in the Video Dome (as well as here & Gaming General) then your welcome to use it. It's for content creators etc, but these podcasts would be a welcome addition - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1377

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anyone fancies a bit of dumpster diving, this is what the recycling skip outside the recently closed Smyths Bray looks like:

image1%202.jpg
    They're empty, but dig deeper and you never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

even the cases for the 3ds games have significant value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Wonder if the cases still have the inserts tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone got a Commodore 64GS?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64_Games_System

Attached is not mine, havent seen many before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Money Pit....

Tom Hanks and Shelly Long in a perfect storm of non-funnyness.

Shut your mouth! That and Mousehunt are two of my favourite house fixer upper gone wrong films.

Anyway, does anyone have a spare SNES powerpak and rgb cable going spare? I was recently given a snes with some games but the above were missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, Mousehunt is a bizarre and awesome nay excellent film.
    Love that fecking movie.
    So much physical and silent comedy, and they swear at the mouse.
    Christopher Walken is class, as is Nathan Land and Lee Evans.
    Now I want to watch it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ah, Mousehunt is a bizarre and awesome nay excellent film.
    Love that fecking movie.
    So much physical and silent comedy, and they swear at the mouse.
    Christopher Walken is class, as is Nathan Land and Lee Evans.
    Now I want to watch it again!
    Almost makes up for Verbinski's other feature, The Lone Ranger.

Almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Almost makes up for Verbinski's other feature, The Lone Ranger.

Almost.

I enjoys it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm in the tiny minority that really enjoyed The Lone Ranger.
    I thought it and John Carter were actually good, or at the very least a fun night out at the films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone hear of a movie called Turbo Kid?
    80s kitsch and video game violence.
    Looks like a winner to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Lads and lassies, I'm trying to find an old crt that displays in ntsc, I thought one of those tv/dvd combos would work but so far have had no luck. The google machine is proving fruitless too.
    Anyone any advice on an old tv with ntsc??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it supports RGB then any machine that outputs RGB will worth fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it supports RGB then any machine that outputs RGB will worth fine.

It's for the 5200 I picked up off alphaeagle

I know late Philips and Sony CRTs support NTSC. However they've all been Widescreens that I've seen support it if that is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My brother just sent me this pic. Apparently the new Fantastic 4 movie has them using a bunch on N64's to time travel or something :0/

I'm assuming its an "el dodge" copy of the movie.

IZmBRqH.jpg

Oh yeah.. I'd forgotten about that. Reed has a server array made up of N64s to run his matter teleportation device. This is when he's a kid and is set in 2005. I'd have to imagine a bunch of old PCs would be easier to come by and far more practical than some N64s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh yeah.. I'd forgotten about that. Reed has a server array made up of N64s to run his matter teleportation device. This is when he's a kid and is set in 2005. I'd have to imagine a bunch of old PCs would be easier to come by and far more practical than some N64s.
    And speaking of N64 and PC...

http://www.destructoid.com/turok-and-turok-2-are-being-re-released-for-pc-307957.phtml

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dino-games-turok-and-turok-2-getting-pc-remasters-/1100-6430062/

There were PC ports of both those games so I'd say it's a pretty easy conversion. They get a bad rep but they are good fun, Turok 2 in particular since it got rid of the stupid jump puzzles that the developer admitted to adding in at the last minute to increase difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I always liked the eeriness of Turok's levels, it wasn't the greatest game but it was fun. The isolation on some levels where you wouldn't see a raptor for a while and then one spots you was quite fun.

Those jump sections were a pain, not because they were placed to be challenges but because its really hard to implement jumping in a game where you can't see your feet!
    Only the Jumping Flash games had managed it, and even since its really only the Metroid Prime series that have got it right.

The Toy/Models/Collectibles forum proposal is moving along nicely, I think it already has enough votes to warrant Admin consideration. I'd say it'll be a while yet though, with the new site rollout on the horizon things in Forum Requests have had to take a back seat lately

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Toy/Models/Collectibles forum proposal is moving along nicely, I think it already has enough votes to warrant Admin consideration. I'd say it'll be a while yet though, with the new site rollout on the horizon things in Forum Requests have had to take a back seat lately

I think we need 18 +1s and so far have fifteen. Hopefully we get enough votes for it to be considered anyways.

Have you seen the new shop that's upstairs in Games Stop on Henry street? I really want that Pac-man light up ghost they have in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think we need 18 +1s and so far have fifteen. Hopefully we get enough votes for it to be considered anyways.

And then the toy collecting mania can commence :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The recent Gamestop shift to vast amounts of floor space devoted to 'pop culture' junk has raised fresh questions about a baffling societal mystery: who the hell is buying all these ****ty Pop! figurines?!

They're bland, lazily designed and very expensive for what they are, yet game stores, comic stores and even book stores seem to be devoting baffling amounts of space to them.

• Advertisement

I don't get those pop figurines either, they look really cheap and well, ****ty as you say.

The funko things? Yeah... they're so bland and unimaginative. They've acquired an impressive range of licenses though.

I've never paid much attention to them, do rare ones exist and do they actually have any value on a collectors market?

Oops, 18 is required I thought it was 15 :)

DinoRex wrote: »
    They've acquired an impressive range of licenses though.

That seems to be their primary business model - buy the rights to as many 'geek' (for lack of a better word) friendly franchises as possible and just blanket cover as much floorspace as they can to reach as many fans with disposable income as possible.
    I've never paid much attention to them, do rare ones exist and do they actually have any value on a collectors market?

I'm sure there's probably a few rarities for conventions and the like, but for the most part they just seem to mass produced. Definitely don't get the sense they offer the 'thrill of the chase' some other collectible figures and the like do. I can sort of understand how Amiibo have taken off because they're so hard to find (still think they're nonsense of course :p) but the shelves full of Funko figures doesn't suggest anywhere near the same rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I got one of those figurine things for my GF as a joke, and to do the below :)
    They are not great yolks, but I’ve spent money on worst tat(wouldnt be into collecting them though).

NfUglpb.jpg

qEh6p4k.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I don't get those pop figurines either, they look really cheap and well, ****ty as you say.
    Not a fan myself.
    I think some characters it doesn't look bad like some Adventure Time style characters since they have the same shape eyes but I would say 90% of the time, they're ugly as ****.

Each to their own if course, lots of people seem to enjoy them and I haven't seen alternative figures for some characters.

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    NfUglpb.jpg

qEh6p4k.jpg

You know nothing Steve X2

Resubscribed to Xbl this morning, principally to regain access to my cloud stored game save from Dark Souls, wound up finishing Crysis on the 360 as well.
    I enjoyed the game, though it got quite choppy at times and there were sound issues too, here and there.
    I presume the PC original is amazeballs better but I quite enjoyed it on console, though it took some years to go through in the end!
    Now to play the unpopular 3rd game, got it from PSN+ a good while ago and never played it.

The recent Gamestop shift to vast amounts of floor space devoted to 'pop culture' junk has raised fresh questions about a baffling societal mystery: who the hell is buying all these ****ty Pop! figurines?!

They're bland, lazily designed and very expensive for what they are, yet game stores, comic stores and even book stores seem to be devoting baffling amounts of space to them.
    They've made a massive change to the Swords Pavilion branch, and its awful.
    To paraphrase They Might Be Giants
    "They fixed up the corner store like it was a nightclub..... Everyone is excited and confused..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

who the hell is buying all these ****ty Pop! figurines?!

I've got three of them... :o

Bobble head dancing baby Groot, Bobble head Star-Lord, and Jack Burton.

I presume expedited shipping from Japan = UPS = customs charges yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    I presume expedited shipping from Japan = UPS = customs charges yeah?

If it's EMS, I've found then it's more likely to be caught. But in saying that it's only really around Christmas time I've been charged. I think UPS will always charge customs but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just a reminder to everyone about the proposed toy collecting forum. Be great id we had some support from people around here to get it approved

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057479557

Just a reminder to everyone about the proposed toy collecting forum. Be great id we had some support from people around here to get it approved

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057479557

Ah its jack burton talking about toys.

Resubscribed to Xbl this morning, principally to regain access to my cloud stored game save from Dark Souls, wound up finishing Crysis on the 360 as well.
    I enjoyed the game, though it got quite choppy at times and there were sound issues too, here and there.
    I presume the PC original is amazeballs better but I quite enjoyed it on console, though it took some years to go through in the end!
    Now to play the unpopular 3rd game, got it from PSN+ a good while ago and never played it.

I'd watch that stream, hook us up

eddhorse wrote: »
    I'd watch that stream, hook us up

Ah, sarcasm...
    Very good...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Star Lord wrote: »
    I've got three of them... :o

Bobble head dancing baby Groot, Bobble head Star-Lord, and Jack Burton.

There's a few in this household aswell; Superman and dancing Groot are mine, ninja Turtles for the kids. No interest in collecting them though.

Anyone see the ridiculous DLC for the new Gal Gun? 10,000 yen (yes the price is correct) gets you xray vision allowing you to see the girls naked. That DLC for me is just all kinds of wrong.

Because up until this point Gal Gun was in no way, shape or form objectionable already :p

Because up until this point Gal Gun was in no way, shape or form objectionable already :p

Well it was certainly objectionable but this takes going too far... too far :pac:

Anyone see the ridiculous DLC for the new Gal Gun? 10,000 yen (yes the price is correct) gets you xray vision allowing you to see the girls naked. That DLC for me is just all kinds of wrong.
    And Jeff Gerstmann continues not to comment on his thoughts on Megan's Law.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement