Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Over in Taipei with work. Had a day off today and went looking for geek stuff. After an hour of getting lost and hungry, I was about to throw in the towel when I found a corridor of shops about half a km long... full of videogames and anime stuff.

Are Amiibos still hard to get? Seen a good few Mega Man, Toon Link and PAC Man today.

Also saw a super famicon boxed FFVI today. I didn't know the exchange rate at the time so passed it up... works out at €45... might have to go back and get it.

And then the were Gundams.... Gundams everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

A bit too busy with the Phantom Pain to pay any attention here right now, but here's an article from Polygon that won't make you want to rip the nerve endings of your teeth out.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/9/7/9251753/running-an-arcade-2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A bit too busy with the Phantom Pain to pay any attention here right now, but here's an article from Polygon that won't make you want to rip the nerve endings of your teeth out.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/9/7/9251753/running-an-arcade-2015

Good read , thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Happy Mario Maker day everyone!
    ZrqMtRrm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Might actually now be worth picking up a WiiU !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Amazon Prime don't seem to have messed up on dispatching Mario Maker for me, so I should have it this evening.

They've messed up the last few orders for me so I've cancelled my Prime subscription. (Although the real reason for canceling was Jeremy Clarkson)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Might actually now be worth picking up a WiiU !!

I wouldn't have said Mario Maker would be a system seller - unless you have tons of time and the inclination/imagination to make levels yourself, you're just going to be playing other people's creations. The Wii-U already has loads of games that make it worth owning anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Happy Mario Maker day everyone!
    ZrqMtRrm.jpg

Heavy bugger that fat Italian bugger is and oh so yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'd be tempted to get those Dreamcast ones but they seem rather girlie to me with their white and orange Japanese look.

Pity they haven't thought of doing any geared towards the European market.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not a retro question but something you lot may know,
    If I buy a used Xbox One and it has some games on the hdd, preinstalled by the previous owner, am I free to use them or will they disappear once I make my own XBL account the primary one?
    I would have supposed that they'd be uninstalled with the first sync, or what ever MS call it.
    Just wondering as might be in a position to pick one up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not a retro question but something you lot may know,
    If I buy a used Xbox One and it has some games on the hdd, preinstalled by the previous owner, am I free to use them or will they disappear once I make my own XBL account the primary one?
    I would have supposed that they'd be uninstalled with the first sync, or what ever MS call it.
    Just wondering as might be in a position to pick one up soon.

As far as I know they stay on the console as long as the account that owns them remains on the console, but with the introduction of 'home console' etc I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    As far as I know they stay on the console as long as the account that owns them remains on the console, but with the introduction of 'home console' etc I'm not too sure.

That's one thing that saddens me about the newer systems, give me a physical release any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I thi m everyone here should watch Turbo Kid. Its something special if you have any love for the whole "new retro" scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Was thinking there on Sunday after the beers, am I the only one who just has 1 3DS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

You lot ever see a Pikachu do a Stone Cold Stunner?

Keo5ep.gif

Is that from Pokken?
    Looks the business!

That's one thing that saddens me about the newer systems, give me a physical release any day.

Speaking of things that annoy me about modern systems.

Buy GTA V for PS4. It takes ages to install.

Then it downloads a 6Gb update... and PSN's servers aren't exactly the fastest.

Then when that update is finished I launch the game... to it needing another 7Gb update.

ARRRRGHHH...

Just let me play the ****ing game already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Was thinking there on Sunday after the beers, am I the only one who just has 1 3DS?

Nope, you're not alone there. Though I've been tempted by the smaller New 3DS. If argos have a moment of madness with their prices I may have to get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MrVestek wrote: »

Then when that update is finished I launch the game... to it needing another 7Gb update.

ARRRRGHHH...

I'm finding consoles games these days are more of a chore to set up and play than PC games with all the constant updating.

I only have one 3DS, but I also only have one New 3DS.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm finding consoles games these days are more of a chore to set up and play than PC games with all the constant updating.

What I thought was odd was last week when the Destiny year 2 patch dropped it was a 20GB download and crawled along because so many where downloading it. So PSN allocates bandwidth on a title by title basis for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I leave my PS4 and Xbox One in their stand-by modes with automatic updates on. Would rather have them fully off but particularly with a 4Mb connection in the countryside it's not practical.

For instance I "purchased" Tomb Raider for the Xbox One here in the office this morning on my phone as part of Games With Gold. Hoping to have it downloaded when I get home this evening.

Don't know about Xbox but on the Playstation network they don't seem to update the digital versions to the latest patch version, you've to download the game and then whatever patch is needed after that.

• Advertisement

Don't know about Xbox but on the Playstation network they don't seem to update the digital versions to the latest patch version, you've to download the game and then whatever patch is needed after that.

It was the same way in the PS3 era too.

I'm still in the PS3 era :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm still in the PS3 era :)

You're living in the past, quit living in the past!

Oh wait...

This is the future calling from the PS5 era:

"Still waiting for Last Guardian."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DinoRex wrote: »
    This is the future calling from the PS5 era:

"Still waiting for Last Guardian."

This is the future calling from the PS6 era:

"Still waiting for FF7 Remake."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

ARRRRGHHH...

I said it before and I'll say it again,
    loading a C64 game from cassette was much faster!

The one good thing about the PS4 and PS+ is that you can stick the disk in the drive and let it do its funky stuff at night, while you sleep.
    Of course, in your case, that's in the corner of my living room on at least one occasion that I know of ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Doge wrote: »
    I said it before and I'll say it again,
    loading a C64 game from cassette was much faster!

The more things change the more they stay the same.

The one good thing about the PS4 and PS+ is that you can stick the disk in the drive and let it do its funky stuff at night, while you sleep.
    Of course, in your case, that's in the corner of my living room on at least one occasion that I know of ;)

Hey it was late and I was tired and.... ahh feck off! :P

All that trying to teach you which hole to put it in in the Xbox took it out of me. ;-)

Hey it was late and I was tired and.... ahh feck off! :P

All that trying to teach you which hole to put it in in the Xbox took it out of me. ;-)

The hole was too big and my wire too narrow, soft and not rigid enough.
    I had to go off for a bit and come back with a stiffer one, that went right into the hole and she popped just like that.

Typical Beers behaviour tbh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

y.. ho...wh...
    Raise2.gif

LongZ wrote: »
    y.. ho...wh...
    Raise2.gif

Bet you're sorry you missed it now!

Just thought I'd post this up...

My Bartop, MrVestek Arcade is currently set up in the lobby of my mate's workplace at the moment trying to raise some funds for Temple Street Children's Hospital.

He's participating in the Techies4Templestreet challenge.

Here are some pics from today:
    362770.jpg
    362771.jpg

I honestly love people getting some use out of it for fun like this (whereas I tend to see it as more of an ongoing project that I'm never happy with). Plus glad it's helping out a charity!

^^ Fantastic idea, well done :)

Yeah, that's cool.
    Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So don't know if anyone has been following the RETRO VGS system that has been mentioned on here now and again. A retro video game console that plays cartridges.

Well the last few days for them have been quite interesting to say the least. Originally on Kickstarter they have now dropped that and have instead gone to Indiegogo, which to me is quite disappointing. They also announced the prices of the consoles.

$299 for a regular black one
    $349 for a special colour edition console.
    Games between $30-$50

Yeah.....the reaction to that was pretty bad and it's really starting to harm their reputation and all the good faith built up on the anticipation of the project. There is all sort of damages control going on on sites like NeoGaf, but the combination of Indiegogo and the price point has turned off a lot of people now it seems. The guys involved are pretty well respected so their reputation is riding on this too.

11988310_879614155441189_5165765893568905179_n.jpg?oh=1326be0f3099b0174e9383efb3083a42&oe=56A13EA4

12038193_880969678638970_8741860006105524333_n.jpg?oh=9c58ecd8671690eed11a2f971f58c927&oe=565E2A69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Are there any benefits these days to having a Famicom Titler(apart from bragging rights)? With mods and the like, is the video output on these worth it(it does internal RGB, but only has an S-Video output!)?

I’ve noticed a few popping up here and there over the last few months and I’ve been tempted a couple of times. But the price is on the high side, and I’m thinking I’ll get the same video quality on a modded Famicom!

Educate me please, stop me spending a wad of cash on something that will collect dust in a press(I have enough of those :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's the only way to get s-video from a NES/Famicom unit it seems (I'm not aware of any other mods) and that's the best video quality you can get from a NES. You can do a RGB mod but it's not original hardware but another video board that converts the video signal to RGB.

Also you can use it to subtitle your anime which is by far the best use of the unit.

You can do a RGB mod but it's not original hardware but another video board that converts the video signal to RGB.

In which case you could do the same mod to a Famicom/Twin Fami, defeating the purpose of the Titler really. I did look into them briefly when research Fami's to buy, but despite the prohibitive cost, the internal rgb to s-video output seemed a waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's the only way to get s-video from a NES/Famicom unit it seems (I'm not aware of any other mods) and that's the best video quality you can get from a NES. You can do a RGB mod but it's not original hardware but another video board that converts the video signal to RGB.

Also you can use it to subtitle your anime which is by far the best use of the unit.

You can also use the PPU from a Playchoice 10 board to get RGB out which would technically be original hardware... does mean sacrificing an arcade board though :(

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can also use the PPU from a Playchoice 10 board to get RGB out which would technically be original hardware... does mean sacrificing an arcade board though :(

I think that'd also be grounds for a site ban :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I don't want english subs on my Anime. I really don't want to know what that many tentacled creature is saying to that girl :eek:
    Myrddin wrote: »
    In which case you could do the same mod to a Famicom/Twin Fami, defeating the purpose of the Titler really. I did look into them briefly when research Fami's to buy, but despite the prohibitive cost, the internal rgb to s-video output seemed a waste.

Yeah, I'll need to do a bit more research before jumping on this Titler me thinks. Its about 2k for a new old stock one from Japan, and that's a bit of cash for slightly better vid quality.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll need to do a bit more research before jumping on this Titler me thinks. Its about 2k for a new old stock one from Japan, and that's a bit of cash for slightly better vid quality.

Indeed, especially considering a bog standard Fami with the rgb mod would trump it quality wise for a fraction of the price

o1s1n wrote: »

Think the Playchoice PPU has a different palette set, but ya chopping up arcade boards is bold..

• Advertisement

Think the Playchoice PPU has a different palette set, but ya chopping up arcade boards is bold..

And a sackable offence in these parts, as pointed out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement