Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ronnie Klok tends to have some decent stuff on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Thanks all! :-)

I'll check them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got about a minute and a half into that before I had to stop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Really looking forward to Mushihimesama HD on Steam this week. Destructoid has a decent review up (as always ignore comments section :P).

I saw the below video linked elsewhere and how anyone could think to play a game like this is beyond my comprehension:

How do these people even get review copies of games anyway, the video is full of inaccuracies and nonsense too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"I can't put my finger on it but something's off"

*slow clap*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if this reviewer is accustomed to games that aren't Skyrim.
    Seems if there isn't 60+ hrs of gameplay he can't enjoy it.
    Probably hates Outrun 2 as well, because it isn't Test Drive Unlimited.

And, why drag into this review his systems issues with non 360 pads and his install of Steam?
    Wtf has that got to do with it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Damn it, was hoping it was Mushihimesama Futari that got ported because I already spent a load on the PS2 port of Mushihimesama last month!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Comments are disabled for this video

See he took the criticism well :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

See he took the criticism well :pac:

There's criticism and there's apparent death threats. He was a bit of a muppet and hadn't a clue what he was on about but if that is true it's a bit of an escalation :D

Also, good Half Life retrospective:

• Advertisement

Yeah baffled somebody would send a death threat over that (admittedly I'm pretty baffled when anybody sends a death threat regardless). Although based on the comments that did get through, and his repetitive attempts to suggest "they should just find a solution to put it at 16:9 resolution" (despite assurances that it was, tate aside, actually impossible) suggested he wasn't exactly taking constructive criticism on board. The YouTube insult brigade didn't help, I hasten to add :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also, good Half Life retrospective:

Cheers for that. Freeman was only 27 in HL1? Always thought he was closer to 40 or something. :pac:

First played it on PS2 rather than PC and could see what all the fuss was about, fantastic game. My memory is pretty hazy but didn't HL2 coincide with the launch of Steam? I seem to remember being pee'd off having to connect online to play and there being issues with Steam at the time. Being on dial-up didn't help either.

I'm not that pushed whether we'll ever see a HL3, they have some challenge to live up to the previous versions, but maybe it'll be designed with VR in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah baffled somebody would send a death threat over that (admittedly I'm pretty baffled when anybody sends a death threats regardless) :

Retr0's opinions on Final Fantasy XIII had me on the verge of sending a few :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Retr0's opinions on Final Fantasy XIII had me on the verge of sending a few :pac:

His opinion on Aliens Vs Predator nearly gave a fella a stroke!
    And his well founded judgement on Legends of the Dragoon has spiked BPs all over the planet at this stage!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Anyone else see this Metroid short film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Some more pictures of that snes/ps1 console that surfaced a while ago. I wonder how things would be now if this collaboration made it to the market.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-playstation-snes-cd-prototype-finally-revealed.html

http://www.hkgolden.com/mobile/article.aspx?id=20279&catid=33

Some more pictures of that snes/ps1 console that surfaced a while ago. I wonder how things would be now if this collaboration made it to the market.

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/super-nintendo-playstation-snes-cd-prototype-finally-revealed.html

http://www.hkgolden.com/mobile/article.aspx?id=20279&catid=33

I'd say Sony wouldn't even be in the console race and the playstation would have been a Mega CD level flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The http://ps-io.com/ is in closed beta at the moment..

22_CART7.jpg

A video showing loading times for Gran Turismo was posted this week.

I can't wait for this product to become available, I have 3 PSX's, all with optical reading/mechanical issues. The idea of loading and playing/streaming from an SD card, using original PSX hardware, is a real treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    Totally forgot to mention that one of my favourite games of all time will be getting sequel in HD for PS4, Xbox One and PC - The Last Ninja.

x8kSdAy.jpg

Edit: Matt Gray will be one of the musicians contributing to it.
    LAst Ninja II is probably oen of my favourite games...but...
    LN 4 has been in development hell since at LEAST 2004! I'm pretty sure I've seen Xbox(not 360) prototype screens similar to those!

Also in unrelated news is anyone heading into that Amiga Kick off world cup in town tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So Engadget got to try out the Nintendo-Playstation prototype that was discovered a few months back. Cartridges work on it but the disc drive seems to be disabled/broke.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/nintendo-playstation-is-real-and-it-works/

The chips are quite the novelty to see, with both companies branding on them.

nintendo-playstation-sfx-100-prototype-cxp1100Q-1.jpg

Nintendo and Sony and a CD based console...

Probably would have ended up with a CD based Mario game, and we know how that ended....
    latest?cb=20081107011814

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Does anyone have a Turbo Everdrive v1.2 that does not have a cover(as in a non deluxe version)?
    I've created a basic cover/shell for the main pcb(well, taken extreme inspiration from someone else's model) and my everdrive has its case glued on so i need someone to test it out.
    No charge of course, you can keep the case if it works for you.

Damn, mines 1.1 :(

Master of the Universe

1.1 here too! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I don't think there is any real physical difference between 1.1 and 1.2. At least not enough to effect the shell.
    I'll check it out.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Cool, well if it works on Ciderino's one I'll put in an order myself :)

Woohoo!!
    Free stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    LAst Ninja II is probably oen of my favourite games...but...
    LN 4 has been in development hell since at LEAST 2004! I'm pretty sure I've seen Xbox(not 360) prototype screens similar to those!

Also in unrelated news is anyone heading into that Amiga Kick off world cup in town tomorrow?

This aint LN4 though, its a totally different beast.

For those who havent seen the screenshots of LN4:

http://heechee.net/c64/ninja/ln4_screenshots.php

The Last Ninja HD looks to be more faithful to the original series, keeping the isometric view.

And thanks to the power of crowd funding these days, it could easily become a reality, :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

For the Vectrex owners :
    https://trmm.net/Vectrex

eddhorse wrote: »
    For the Vectrex owners :
    https://trmm.net/Vectrex

If there was some way to access the necessary vector controls via the cart port, without modding, and then have a suitably programmed RP2 plugged into that via a daughter board, it would be amazeballs.
    One could play every vector display title on the console, albeit in b&w.
    Interesting times indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I have a mate selling a snes but its a PAL one, I was thinking of getting into that everdrive craic but will the NTSC roms be forced to 50hz?
    How easy is the mod ?

You'll need to mod it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

This is the only Christmas ad worth watching in November!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Not exactly Retro, but would anyone be interested in some not-too-easy-to-find Vita games? I'm going to be relocating soon, and need to start thinking about offloading some stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not exactly Retro, but would anyone be interested in some not-too-easy-to-find Vita games? I'm going to be relocating soon, and need to start thinking about offloading some stuff!

What you have and what's the prices?

This kinda thing makes me sick, cops should be called on him.
    http://www.adverts.ie/9242914

Sorry, but no links or offers to sell non retro/arcade items in this forum.

I've never used the game share stuff on PS4, but from what I've read I'm fairly certain that's not how it works.

"I've been playing online for 6 months, must be unlimited so..."

He also seems to know more about the future PSN pricing than Sony do.

I've never used the game share stuff on PS4, but from what I've read I'm fairly certain that's not how it works.

"I've been playing online for 6 months, must be unlimited so..."

He also seems to know more about the future PSN pricing than Sony do.

Its the turning the ps4 to primary on the other guys account that annoys me. So he cant remove it from his devices list. Game sharing is a stupid idea

Its the turning the ps4 to primary on the other guys account that annoys me. So he cant remove it from his devices list. Game sharing is a stupid idea

Ah, now I get it, ha. I should really read things a few times before replying after finishing a late shift!

Surely then, this "unlimited" PS+ that he's advertising is only free until the other guy stops paying for it, and after that happens you're left with an overpriced used PS4?

• Advertisement

Ah, now I get it, ha. I should really read things a few times before replying after finishing a late shift!

Surely then, this "unlimited" PS+ that he's advertising is only free until the other guy stops paying for it, and after that happens you're left with an overpriced used PS4?

Negative Equity PS4, its been withdrawn thankfully.

There was once a poster in the games forum who in the midst of that horrid PS4 vs Xbox One thread claimed that X1 games only cost around €30 brand new compared to €60+ for PS4 games.

When quizzed on this, it was revealed that of course they actually cost €60+ too, but when you halved the price with another person and bought from a different region that they 'only' cost €30.

Unique mental gymnastics if nothing else.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

links gone ..what was it..dodgy psn account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Someone had done game sharing with the seller, he'd set that PS4 to the primary console for that other person's account, and is trying to sell it on as always having free PSN.

Basically a filthy tea-leaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

This years secret Santa is live for anyone interested

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057520050/1/#post97680175

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Playtonic showed off a new character from 'Yooka-Laylee' today......Rextro SixtyFourus

A homage to 90's gaming characters, polygons and all. The shading on him has also been done especially to show the scanline effect.

Rex_1-720x540.jpg

Let's hope it isn't followed with the other feature of N64 platformers from Rare, tons of pointless collecting random crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Let's hope it isn't followed with the other feature of N64 platformers from Rare, tons of pointless collecting random crap!
    YOU WILL GET YOUR MIGHTY MULE YOUNG 64 AND YOU WILL LOVE IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Darius Burst CS coming sooner than expected :D
    I think I'll go for the Steam version (have to try that multi monitor support out!) and physical Vita release in January.

(I think it's worth abandoning the shmup thread at this stage, there's not enough interest.)

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

You know, those Rare platformers werent really that great and have aged quite poorly. Yooka-laylee seems to be going for that awful Rare N64 era art style where everything is just too sickeningly sweet and cute as they try to emulate Nintendos style and fail miserably. Still if it's fun and more banjo kazooie than DK64 I'll play it.
    blag wrote: »
    Darius Burst CS coming sooner than expected :D
    I think I'll go for the Steam version (have to try that multi monitor support out!) and physical Vita release in January.

(I think it's worth abandoning the shmup thread at this stage, there's not enough interest.)

Definitely PC version for me, I'm looking to get a super wide 1440p screen soon myself and it would be a crime to play it in a bordered display.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement