Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just saw one of those misshapen plastic models this evening, the ones that clog up the shelves of Gamestop, of The Rocketeer!
    And it was in Easons too!
    I'm trying to resist buying it, but I'm such a fan of that film.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just saw one of those misshapen plastic models this evening, the ones that clog up the shelves of Gamestop, of The Rocketeer!
    And it was in Easons too!
    I'm trying to resist buying it, but I'm such a fan of that film.....

Was in Gamestop earlier, the merchandise section has a much bigger presence these days I see. Also spotted Playstation controller cuff-links, 15 quid or something.

Easons had the Retrogamer Annual if anyone can stomach the €16.30 asking price. Think there's 180 pages or so, covering all sorts of systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Christmas cat wishes you all a happy christmas.

I've now realized I've just become one of those freaks who buys costumes for their pets. :eek:

christmas%20cat_zps2luilm3e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

https://vimeo.com/147365861

In the slums of the future, virtual reality junkies satisfy their violent impulses in online entertainment. An expert player discovers that the line between games and reality is starting to fade away. 3DAR’s latest short film explores the frightening potential of our next technological revolution. Stay connected, but not too much ;)
    Artwork and process in 3dar.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So been reading through a few videogame books.

First up was 'The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers' which was kind of disappointing.

The writing is quite dry, it's really just transcriptions of interviews the author carried out with no real structure to it. The author also doesn't really ask great questions. He is obsessed with finding out about unfinished games which usually leads to disappointing answers. Most interviewees have bad recollections or are afraid of non disclosure agreements. There's also a lot of banal chatter left in the transcriptions, like talking about what food and drink they are having. Considering the size of the book this could be cut down. There's a good few pages devoted to what is coming up in the next volume of the series, a lot of it seems really interesting but I can read that when I get the next volume.

One massive disappointment is all the talk about the Yakuza being involved. There's tonnes of talk of this but it's all redacted by the speaker, the only exception being from the two nut jobs from Westone talking about how the programmer stood up to the Yakuza by sitting in an office with them and refusing to buy their overpriced calendars (basically the protection money) for nearly an entire day until they gave up. Volume 2 has a section dedicated to Zainsoft, a software development house notorious for being a front for the Yakuza and who used to beat their employees so hopefully this gets more exposure there.

Another annoyance is a huge part of the book is dedicated to individuals who preserve old videogames and while interesting and they do great work at their own expense there is just way too much of it especially considering the book's title says 'Game Developers'.

Still it's got some good stories and information it's just desperately in need of an editor and the transcribed interview format does it no favours. I'll pick up the second volume since some of the developers seem interesting with a lot of Squaresoft and Chunsoft employees. It mainly focuses on Japanese home computers.

Next was Hardcore Gaming 101: Sega Arcade Classics Vol. 1. It doesn't cover all Sega arcade games but the series that it does cover are covered in near exhaustive detail, even the home computer ports are touched on. As usual for HG101 articles it goes into exhaustive detail and the presentation is gorgeous with tonnes of full colour screenshots.

The next is Hardcore Gaming 101: Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures which I'm currently reading and it's an absolute beast of a book. The paper quality isn't as good as the arcade one and it's in black and white but it just covers so many games it's almost exhaustive. There's a hell of a lot of reading here for the price and it covers not just the popular ones but also some very obscure ones as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really didn't think very highly of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers either. The ideas were there but as you said, it desperately needed a decent editor. The whole thing felt extremely amateurishly put together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I really didn't think very highly of The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers either. The ideas were there but as you said, it desperately needed a decent editor. The whole thing felt extremely amateurishly put together.

I felt it was worth the read myself since I was interested in some of the information that was in it but couldn't really recommend it and you do have to trawl through a lot of nonsense to get to the good stuff... which might be redacted.

I did like them talking about Victor Ireland, the man seems like a nutter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

On the topic of books I found "Masters of Doom" excellent, all about Romero and Carmack of ID.

"Game Over: How Nintendo Conquered The World" is a great read too.

By contrast "Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo, and the Battle that Defined a Generation" I found to be very annoying in it's writing style, can't remember what turned me off but I gave up on it after a chapter or two.

I really want to read 'I am Error' which is about the internal workings of the NES and all the graphical tricks programmers used to make games look better. The author wrote 'Racing the Beam' which was the same deal with the Atari 2600 and I thought it was excellent.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really want to read 'I am Error' which is about the internal workings of the NES and all the graphical tricks programmers used to make games look better. The author wrote 'Racing the Beam' which was the same deal with the Atari 2600 and I thought it was excellent.

It's 15% off at the minute on thebookdepository.com. Don't think it's the same author as Racing the Beam though.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Christmas cat wishes you all a happy christmas.

I've now realized I've just become one of those freaks who buys costumes for their pets. :eek:

christmas%20cat_zps2luilm3e.jpg

welcome to my world :D

I use the PM in Arklow. Never had any delays this Christmas or last. Perhaps it's not as busy as city based ones.

I remember when parcel motel started first, primarily in Dublin. I emailed Parcel Motel asking if/when Arklow would open. I got a direct response from the CEO who said that their business strategy for rollout was towns and locations with a population of minimum 20,000.

Arklow has a population of 12k or so. It wasn't on their plans for rollout.

So while Arklow now has a parcel motel, perhaps it is in a category of lower demand Areas.

Ordered something from Amazon on Sunday and sent it to PM not minding too much if I didn't get it before Christmas. Dispatched yesterday and PM have it today so should have it in the morning. They haven't let me down yet touch wood. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I touched wood once.
    I went blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I touched wood once.
    I went blind.

Was it your wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Was it your wood?
    Such a Hairy Palmer he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Just got burned on a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 I bought on ebay.co.uk 2 weeks ago.

Firstly the idiot seller sent a mains power cable instead of a power supply which can't even be plugged into it.

So i bought the official power supply last week for about 15 euro in the hope that I could convert an old Christmas VHS tape in time for Christmas and filed a paypal claim for a partial refund.

Power supply arrived today, and the unit is completely defective! No signal from all inputs, tested 2 on PC's and if you're lucky you get the occassional snowey rectangle popping up for second or two.

Also the HDMI pass through doesn't even work.

Seriously pissed off, I'll be 25-30 out of pocket for the return postage and power supply alone.

Absolutely zero contact from the seller since, and they had 100% positive feedback, well not anymore hehe!

I just hope paypal sort it out and refund the £54.00 I payed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doge wrote: »
    I just hope paypal sort it out and refund the £54.00 I payed.

As you've already filed a partial dispute, I don't think they let you file another for the same item...I think...

Myrddin wrote: »
    As you've already filed a partial dispute, I don't think they let you file another for the same item...I think...

I was able to request a full refund when escalating the claim today.

So hopefully i can get the full refund back.

I'm just glad I didn't escalate til today! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

When something seems too good to be true...

etc.

It didnt seem too good to be true at all, that price is the going rate for them second hand!

They've made me Führerous!

hitler-o.gif

• Advertisement

For 50, really?!

Or am I just misunderstanding how much it originally cost you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Bad times, Famicom Titler is been held by Irish Customs :(
    I haven’t received a call or letter yet, but tracking says it’s there as of this morning. Now normally I’d have had the seller fudge the value on the outside of the package. But as it was a bit pricey and rare enough I decided to go with a tracked and fully insured shipping method(and in doing so the full value is stated on the outside of the package and all attached invoices).

What percentage do I have to pay to Irish customs of the stated value, anyone?
    It’s listed as “vintage electronics” and came in from Japan.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I haven’t received a call or letter yet, but tracking says it’s there as of this morning. Now normally I’d have had the seller fudge the value on the outside of the package. But as it was a bit pricey and rare enough I decided to go with a tracked and fully insured shipping method(and in doing so the full value is stated on the outside of the package and all attached invoices).

Same happened me with the Twin Fami. It was held there for about four days, & I was hit with I think about 20/25% of the value. I've no issue with vat/customs when it comes to buying online, where a potential sale for the local economy has been lost. But applying a charge to something you can't buy form a store here, isn't produced new anymore, and isn't a lost sale to the economy just seems wrong to me :(

Same happened me with the Twin Fami. It was held there for about four days, & I was hit with I think about 20/25% of the value. I've no issue with vat/customs when it comes to buying online, where a potential sale for the local economy has been lost. But applying a charge to something you can't buy form a store here, isn't produced new anymore, and isn't a lost sale to the economy just seems wrong to me :(

Ouch, 20-25 percent will be a bit on this Titler!

Maybe I should have checked in The Rage in town first, they might have had one :D

Ouch, 20-25 percent will be a bit on this Titler!

Maybe I should have checked in The Rage in town first, they might have had one :D
    Super Rare Vintage Famicom Titler! A steal at only 20,000.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Super Rare Vintage Famicom Titler! A steal at only 2,000.

That's not far off the going rate for a boxed one in good condition. If they had the one I got for 2k I'd be tempted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'll just leave this here, you may need it. I got caught for 80 euro over two packages a while back.

vaseline-450x450_tcm72-298021_zpsfmmxrkzi.jpg

I'll just leave this here, you may need it. I got caught for 80 euro over two packages a while back.

vaseline-450x450_tcm72-298021_zpsfmmxrkzi.jpg

But that's only 100g, I'm guessing I'll need the 1 Gallon drum for this one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

vas.jpg?w=300&h=225

They ask for a screen shot from PayPal or invoice from a store. I think you're right, you may need that full barrel. Games consoles are exempt from customs duty but they'll get you for vat at 23%, plus handling fee, think it's around 7 euro.

• Advertisement

vas.jpg?w=300&h=225

They ask for a screen shot from PayPal or invoice from a store. I think you're right, you may need that full barrel. Games consoles are exempt from customs duty but they'll get you for vat at 23%, plus handling fee, think it's around 7 euro.

Hmm, I'm VAT registered in Ireland. It's super handy for importing from the UK and Euroland, but I don't think it'll help me with this particular fee.

vas.jpg?w=300&h=225

And
    Perhaps this first, seeing as you're gonna get screwed
    valentines.jpg

MrVestek wrote: »
    For 50, really?!

Or am I just misunderstanding how much it originally cost you?

50 in pounds which is about 70 euro. Theres one adverts right now for 70 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Always risky buying outside the EU this time of year, customs are obviously checking more with Christmas presents and all that. Might want to buy a few of these just to have.

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was able to request a full refund when escalating the claim today.
    So hopefully i can get the full refund back.

I'm just glad I didn't escalate til today! :eek:
    It's recommended to wait 7 days I think. I had 3 disputes open with Teefury letting me down, wasn't til I raised them to claims I actually got the refund. I had a partial refund for 1 before I started the claim.
    Hopefully you'll get sorted.

a281d7b393003062d6c426fe13b85ad0.jpg
    Just posting Christmas wishes to whoever's online, hope you all have a great day tomorrow <3.

• Advertisement

So I both one of the SNES holy grail games recently and was hoping post would be slow but it's already arrived in Dublin. Unfortunate thing is I posted it to Sligo and won't be there to collect it until the 4th. Fully expecting this one to get snared by customs. Any idea what the best way to maybe get it rerouted to Dublin or held for a little longer, don't fancy a 6 hour drive there and back to collect it?

Any idea what the best way to maybe get it rerouted to Dublin or held for a little longer, don't fancy a 6 hour drive there and back to collect it?
    Is it tracked? I assume you'd just ring up and ask.
    Maybe this? http://www.anpost.ie/anpost/maincontent/personal%20customers/managing%20mail/mailminder/mailminder.htm
    otherwise "If you have any further questions please contact our Customer Services Team on 1850 57 58 59."

Playstation store down for anyone else?

I think they are getting hammered again. Scum of the earth hackers.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Playstation store down for anyone else?

I think they are getting hammered again. Scum of the earth hackers.
    Doesn't that always happen around Christmas though? It being down I mean

Doesn't that always happen around Christmas though? It being down I mean

Well it doesnt have to be? DDOS as usual

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Well it doesnt have to be? DDOS as usual

Could just be so many new systems connecting at the same time. With the crappiness of Sonys servers it would work just like ddos.

Could just be so many new systems connecting at the same time. With the crappiness of Sonys servers it would work just like ddos.

True i guess. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Has anyone seen Nintendo Quest? Basically a guy was challenged to accumulate all six hundred odd official NES releases (US) in 30 days without buying anything online, and the docu-film is a record of his taking the challenge. It's like Game Chasers but less whacky, and more focused on the hunt with a few nice little bits of historia interspersed

Has anyone seen Nintendo Quest? Basically a guy was challenged to accumulate all six hundred odd official NES releases (US) in 30 days without buying anything online, and the docu-film is a record of his taking the challenge. It's like Game Chasers but less whacky, and more focused on the hunt with a few nice little bits of historia interspersed

Yeah i liked it, its on Netflix and Vimeo, listened to a podcast with the two guys also.

Yeah I enjoyed it myself, well worth a watch for anyone interested

I played Oddworld New n' Tasty briefly for the first time the other night.

The new sound and visuals are absolutely stunning! They have done a great job of keeping it faithful to the original game, I can see why it has great reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just a reminder that AGDQ starts on Sunday

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

highlight for me has to be the Super Mario Maker blind race.

I played Oddworld New n' Tasty briefly for the first time the other night.

The new sound and visuals are absolutely stunning! They have done a great job of keeping it faithful to the original game, I can see why it has great reviews.

I actually hate the new visuals. Now they aren't bad. The problem is it all feels very copy and paste with textures repeating and it completely loses the detail from the original where every screen was hand crafted with unique details that added atmosphere and a sense of place that just isn't conveyed when everything is made from the same prefabbed units.

This video explains it a lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I enjoyed new and tasty... worth the plauthrough definitely but a HD remaster of the original would have been the ****

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement