Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Jayus you'd swear there were doing it deliberately :)

Full HD at 60 FPS is nearly 200 million pixels per second to manage, even 720p is 90 million !!

Cough console parity cough splutter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But #gamergate is about freedom of speech in videogames journalism (I feel dirty even joking about it).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,666 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GamerGate is about 'Some reviewers didn't conform to my uneducated opinion. Let's gang up on them', obviously.

How someone could even possibly link that whole nonsense to the appalling tragedy that occurred in Paris today is actually kind of frightening in its ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,727 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GamerGate is about 'Some reviewers didn't conform to my uneducated opinion. Let's gang up on them', obviously.

How someone could even possibly link that whole nonsense to the appalling tragedy that occurred in Paris today is actually kind of frightening in its ignorance.
    But surely THIS one post proves that ALL of GamerGate is bad! :rolleyes:

j/k
    wtf did I stumble into

Also friendly reminder:
    PBOOK001-442x630.png
    http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/introducing-the-amiga-book/

Retro Gamer's Amiga book dropped last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's the utterly stunning lack of self awareness that amazes me every time.

This week they've been busy discussing how to make letter bombs to send to people that don't agree with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are the people linked to that hashtag bra burning feminazis or bra wearing 4chan neckbeards?

I'm never sure which 'side' they're on.

Interesting - Bayonetta 2 voted the most accessible game from 2014, which is quite a title for a game in one of the most traditionally inaccessible genres: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-08-ablegamers-names-bayonetta-2-the-most-accessible-mainstream-game-of-2014

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's mostly to do with the one button touch control scheme. It might have been accidental but still good going on them having so many control schemes for it.

Anyone else crazy like me and stay up until 3.30am watching the Tetris Grand Master exhibition on Awesome Games Done Quick?

It was absolutely insane. There's three games in the series and they just keep getting crazier as the series goes on (you might have seen the video of the second game where all the pieces are invisible at the end of the run).

It took these guys 6-12 months to master the first game, Arika, the developer was a bit afraid to make the game too hard but then loads of japanese players Grand Mastered (GM'ed) the game so they brought out a second. Only about 1000 people in the world have GM'ed that one and then there's the third game which only 5 people are have GM'ed and all those are in Japan. The guys playing had been playing the three games for the last 9-10 years and can't GM the third game.

Anyway it was an 'exhibition' rather than a speed run because it's such a crazy game they couldn't gaurantee they could finish it each time but still the level of skill shown was just mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Anyone here get ReadRetro magazine?

I haven't received a copy since August, 4th issue. I was in contact with them in October and was told there was big problems with the printer company but was going to be printed and sent out a week or two from that, at the same time the kickstarter was started and I ordered for a second year sub.

But nothing has come in the post, January now and I'm 2 issues behind but paid for the full first year and this year too with no emails on what's happening.

Anyone else on here missing issues? Issue 5 and 6. I guess issue 7 is set for February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Went to Retrogamer website to order that Amiga book, what a rubbish website.. Sold out and the poxy digital version is Xinio or iStuff only so screw that.
    Bought a real life paper version is Eason's on the home instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Hey guys Richy here I closed my account because that account was created in 2006 when I first had a computer and did not know of imaginative usernames and over the years using it I became more and more uncomfortable using a username that displayed my real name. I am still on hiatus but it be a short break from this site , till then thanks for being really great friends over the years :)

I miss my weekly dose of misguided Sonic enthusiasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Anyone know what's the best NES flashcart to buy these days, is it still the powerpak from retroUSB?
    there shipping prices are a bit crazy, to risk the 3.50 or spend 46:eek:
    $3.50 USPS Parcel post (bubble mailer, NO tracking)
    $46 USPS Express Mail (box, includes tracking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Play 2304 Dos games legally in your browser. No floppies needed.

[url]Https://archive.org/search.php?query=collection:softwarelibrary_msdos_games&sort=-publicdate[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hey guys Richy here I closed my account because that account was created in 2006 when I first had a computer and did not know of imaginative usernames and over the years using it I became more and more uncomfortable using a username that displayed my real name. I am still on hiatus but it be a short break from this site , till then thanks for being really great friends over the years :)

Couldn't you have asked a mod to change your name?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, that could have been done, just ask EnterNow and MrVestek!

It'll be a few posts before you can use the Marketplace again!

And, are you allowed to just close one account and open another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Couldn't you have asked a mod to change your name?
    I think you've to subscribe or something to do it? I'll be doing it myself soon.
    Watching AGDQ doing Yoshi's Island, touched fuzzy, I got dizzy, it's a sign? (and I've an ear infection)

Yeah. Subscription to change usernames, although that's really for just vanity changes. If you make your case I think they might oblige you.

Also second accounts aren't really an issue unless you're using it to circumvent a ban.

You'll need to ask an admin to change your username but pretty sure they will oblige you if it's something genuine like not wanting to have you real name or clues to your real name in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And, are you allowed to just close one account and open another?

There's absolutely no problem with that, so long as it's not to get around a ban, or not having two going at the same time.

His old account is closed now though, so there's no recovering it anyway.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll need to ask an admin to change your username but pretty sure they will oblige you if it's something genuine like not wanting to have you real name or clues to your real name in it.
    Is there a certain admin to ask? I thought admin and mod would be the same
    Well I didn't think too much on my username unfortunately. Maybe I should send them a PM.

There's a character in Dragonage called Sera and she's the absolute worst.

I think the message 'Sera disapproves of this' is going to be screen burned into my TV as it pops up so often whenever I do anything.

Sera wrote: »
    Well I didn't think too much on my username unfortunately. Maybe I should send them a PM.

Ask in the helpdesk and an admin will help you I'm sure.

Admins and mods are quite different.

DinoRex wrote: »
    There's a character in Dragonage called Sera and she's the absolute worst.

I think the message 'Sera disapproves of this' is going to be screen burned into my TV as it pops up so often whenever I do anything.
    No way, don't think you should play FF13 either
    SERAH! X100

╮(-_-||)╭
    Thank you for your email. I'm afraid username changes are only available to subscribers. If you wish to just change your username, you can subscribe for 1 month at a cost of €5 and request the change in the Subscriber's forum. Details on subscribing can be found on this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950118.

There is an administrative cost involved with name changes and therefore we must charge for this service.

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »

But, no one could guess from your username that you are actually a 58 year old truck driver from Kildare called Alan.
    Damn, let the cat out of the bag.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement