Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, is the PS2 finally retro now? 2015 edition

• 26-12-2014 10:21am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Now we're so distant from the launch of the PS2, can we finally accept its retro status?
    And when will it be the 360s turn.
    I know it's still receiving releases but it's 10 years old this coming 2015!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I would love an original ps2 or PS. Its so cute they have wired controllers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS2 is retro but Firewarrior will never be a good game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

... Its so cute they have wired controllers

At least you don't have to worry about charging them. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

At least you can access the PS2 content with worrying about denial of service attacks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

And the games are playable without multiple updates and patches.

Every time I turn on my PS3 either the console or the game I'm trying to play needs an update.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

You're right.
    I was so blind for so long!
    Firewarrior is a great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I would love an original ps2 or PS. Its so cute they have wired controllers

:confused:

I hope you're being sarcastic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I like not having parts of my game denied to me because there's a pay wall. PS2 5ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

I have a friend that worked on that as a developer (he joined my firm just before it was released). Returned to the games industry a few years later. Agreed that it was a steaming pile of cack though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,889 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PaulPriest wrote: »
    I have a friend that worked on that as a developer (he joined my firm just before it was released). Returned to the games industry a few years later. Agreed that it was a steaming pile of cack though.

I don't care how bad the game is, anyone that's been through a development cycle and released a game at the end of it deserves respect. Hope he's working on some better projects now (although firewarrior wasn't offensively bad, just meh.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't care how bad the game is, anyone that's been through a development cycle and released a game at the end of it deserves respect. Hope he's working on some better projects now (although firewarrior wasn't offensively bad, just meh.)

Head
    Pike
    My Front Garden
    Soon.....

Just popped Driveclub into the drive of my PS4.
    Looks like it'll be June '15 or so before I have all the features on the box finally installed via update.
    Bloody Sony!
    Don't remember this crap with Gran Turismo 4!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Is sonic heroes more on rails than on rail shooters ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just popped Driveclub into the drive of my PS4.
    Looks like it'll be June '15 or so before I have all the features on the box finally installed via update.
    Bloody Sony!
    Don't remember this crap with Gran Turismo 4!

I do with GT5. Think it was something ridiculous like an hour and a half before I got to any gameplay.

If you haven't, Check out tourist trophy on the PS2. It's GT4 with bikes and very good.

I played it when I was about 10/12. I don't think I finished it, but I remember enjoying it. I also remember a lot of rails (literally... Actual rails. The last part I remember playing you were jumping between 3 rails, trying to avoid oncoming trains).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Got my original Playstation and PS2, both in perfect working order. Great consoles!

I do with GT5. Think it was something ridiculous like an hour and a half before I got to any gameplay.

If you haven't, Check out tourist trophy on the PS2. It's GT4 with bikes and very good.

I have Tourist Trophy somewhere alright, I seem to remember falling off a lot.
    Tbh those games were, for me at least, eclipsed by the first two Moto GP games on the 360, they were amazing and did for the sport what 1080 did for snowboarding, moved from controlling the equipment directly to controlling your centre of gravity, and in the bikes case, shifting the brakes to the 360 controllers triggers, a revelation tbh.

I do have some Manx TT games, the Saturn game natch as well as a very decent title on the PS2, along with it's sequel, not bad at all though they do suffer in comparison to the PS3, and even to the visual appeal of later PS2 games as well.
    But sometimes it's all about the gameplay, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Got my original Playstation and PS2, both in perfect working order. Great consoles!
    Same, mines from just a few weeks after launch aswell, never gave a bit of trouble, original controllers too. Its always been the default dvd player in our house. Still haven't got around to playing Shadow of the Colossus though for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The lack of GT or GT2 on PSN is very annoying.

I want to play the original GT on my Vita without modding it.

GT2 is a remarkable game alright, but GT4 is astoundingly hood, best of the series IMHO, amazing they squeezed it all in, as the nun said to the bishop, made GT5 look like the half effort it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I thought you guys were talking about GTA :o

'GTA 4 Astoundingly good? Trust Ciderman to think that!'

o1s1n wrote: »
    I thought you guys were talking about GTA :o

'GTA 4 Astoundingly good? Trust Ciderman to think that!'

I should have qualified that with "for a Gran Turismo game".
    I really liked its encyclopaedic car selection, spread over the history of automobiles.
    My personal favourite was GT Concept, just nice and all about wacky new cars in the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

And the games are playable without multiple updates and patches.

Every time I turn on my PS3 either the console or the game I'm trying to play needs an update.

I wonder what collecting PS3 games will be like in 20 years :pac:
    As anyone wanting to play wont be able to download updates anymore and some games are terrible without the patches. So will games that are sold on eBay come with usb sticks containing the updates or something totally crazy? :p

That's exactly what was going through my head when I was having trouble with the GTA V update. The thing kept failing at 99%. You'd have to imagine a lot of games will be pretty unplayable when the servers are eventually taken offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,732 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I wonder what collecting PS3 games will be like in 20 years :pac:
    As anyone wanting to play wont be able to download updates anymore and some games are terrible without the patches. So will games that are sold on eBay come with usb sticks containing the updates or something totally crazy? :p
    ... sh!t. :(

Well Sony seem to be supporting their old platforms well and will continue to do so.

Oh wait that's totally false since they closed PSN access for the PSP.

I think I raised this matter here a number of years ago and, and mind you, I got a letter in Edge as well on the matter!
    Modern consoles are simply not robust enough to last, so your physical media is going to be useless in two decades.
    The server based game collections just put you at the mercy of the company running it and, as Retr0 pointed out, when they turn off that formats tap that's your collection gone in the blink of an eye.
    Seems like the PC will be the best and only place to find most of the games you love now on console, aside from the exclusives never made it across, they'll be lost.

That's what puts me off buying digital copies of games. I don't mind paying for some games in Steam as the prices can be pretty low, but I wouldn't bother with digital copies of retail games on XBL/PSN.

My only experience with PS+ was the free 30 day trial after the hack a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure that any free games you get with PS+ require an active subscription to use, so that's them out straight away. I also saw a lot of people having trouble with digital copies of games on PSN during the DDoS attack over Christmas. The ask playstation twitter page was littered with people who couldn't launch downloaded games because the system couldn't verify the license.

The retail games may not function fully a few years down the line, but at least you'll have something to show for your money.

On the plus side though, I just put Far Cry The Wild Expedition in the PS3 for the first time and it seems that all game data for Far Cry 2 and 3 install directly from the disk. The digital copies of 1 and Blood Dragon may not be future proof, but it seems like the other two will be, ha.

Advertisement