Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not going out Stephan's night

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You're going to the wrong pub.
    Any day out that includes a timetable is not a good day out.;)

Spontaneity is for the young and childless, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

KungPao wrote: »
    People are really struggling today to spell "Stephen".

Common enough spelling of a pretty common name, no?

He's a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Nah, I don't keep in contact with the vast majority of people I went to school with so nobody to go out with, then the place would be full of ***** pretending we were friends back in school when they were complete ***** then too.

Have to finish watching Marco polo anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm working a busy bar tonight, gonna be in the restaurant alone, gonna be slaughtered. It's the season for amateur drinkers. Those of us will know how to drink can still get served quickly, I'll always serve hardened drinkers first because they know how to order. Women last, especially in a group, because for the most part they can't order without having a group discussion or asking for a menu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I'm working a busy bar tonight, gonna be in the restaurant alone, gonna be slaughtered. It's the season for amateur drinkers. Those of us will know how to drink can still get served quickly, I'll always serve hardened drinkers first because they know how to order. Women last, especially in a group, because for the most part they can't order without having a group discussion or asking for a menu.

Elitist drinkers haha. I've seen it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Elitist drinkers haha. I've seen it all now.

There are people who are better drinkers overall because we do it more often. I'm also an elitist bartender though. So there's that.

There are people who are better drinkers overall because we do it more often. I'm also an elitist bartender though. So there's that.

That's something to be ashamed of not a source of superiority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Was going out. Young lad sick so have to stay in. Rarely get to go out. : (

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Never go out on Stephen's night. I think it's a night for groups of friends and families and we rarely get invited anywhere so we'd just be on our own.

I know most people think Stephen's night = drunken mess but I always like to think of everyone gathered around the bar buying drinks for each other and singing Christmas songs, possibly not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'm one of those pricks who's back for Christmas after being abroad for a few years (although not fecking Australia) and I'm looking forward to it. My local is a nice small place which (sadly) is only half full most of the year but fills up nicely around Christmas. Not packed, never any of the twelve-pubs crowd or anyone else who doesn't belong in a civilised bar. All friends or friends of friends and the prospect of a few of us staying in for a lock-in which should comfortably keep us going until breakfast time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I put up my hand and say I ain't stepping outside tonight, or N.Y night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rosedream

I was going to (haven't been out for three months), but just basically not in the mood this year, been knackered all week. Probably because I have to go to a wedding just before New Year Eve (so new years is out of the question too) so all my focus is on that and how it will turn out.

That and the fact I finally have money again (from xmas gifts), and need to actually buy some stuff that is not alcohol or taxi expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Definitely. Going to fill in some young one (I'm 32). Try for 20 or under but it's getting harder every year.

Ah, the language of love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh Ive never felt the urge for going on a mad one on Stephens night, moreso maybe a dinner out or sales shopping or a movie at most but thats it, have got plenty of drink leftover from yesterday day at home now so think a night of good movies on tv and a bit of wine wont go amiss :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No interest. Hate busy nights out. Worked in a busy bar for 5 years so now every Stephens day I prefer to stay in! I am going out tomorrow though to see some people I went to college with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Back in work tomorrow doubt I'll see a day off for a while now balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I went out one year on Stephens Day and it was a disaster. I guess it depends where you go really. A local pub in a quiet area is probably fine. A city/town is a different story - my biggest complaint is that pubs/clubs let in a dangerous amount of people. I don't know how they get away with it. If a fire broke out in some of these places it would be stardust all over again.

Add to that overcharging, watered down drinks, puking amateurs and drunk arseholes and I couldn't be arsed.

my biggest complaint is that pubs/clubs let in a dangerous amount of people.

One of the reasons I half dread going out on holiday nights. Horribly packed, where you can't move around half the night, and you could be nearly waiting two hours for a taxi. Don't even get me started on New Years. Doing N.Y rurally is ok, doing it in a town is awful.

• Advertisement

rosedream wrote: »
    One of the reasons I half dread going out on holiday nights. Horribly packed, where you can't move around half the night, and you could be nearly waiting two hours for a taxi. Don't even get me started on New Years. Doing N.Y rurally is ok, doing it in a town is awful.

That's the best way. The girls have nowhere to run then ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

Definitely. Going to fill in some young one (I'm 32). Try for 20 or under but it's getting harder every year.

Mah nigga.

Good luck my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Bloody hell - what a shower of Bah Humbugs.

People liking different stuff from you = bah humbag?

Interesting thought process there. I'd rather have my fingernails prised off with a butter knife than watch horse racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

A hundred? That's nothing! I'd easily spend a millionty billion.

A millionty billion? That's nothing. I'd easily spent a WAAAAA.

It's not even a figure. It's just a noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Don't think I'll bother going out, couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I was going to go out but have decided against it now - couldn't face the crowds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Won't be going out until the annoying Irish who are home for Christmas are safely back in Oz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Tugboats wrote: »
    Won't be going out until the annoying Irish who are home for Christmas are safely back in Oz

But the annoying Irish will also still be in Ireland?.....Or are the people who live in Ireland exclusively the annoying ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Trying to hail a taxi on Stephens day in the city centre is like trying to find the holy grail.

Trying to hail a taxi on Stephens day in the city centre is like trying to find the holy grail.

Is dublin not quiet that night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So who isn't going out Stephan's night ? I decided not to this year , sick of the thoughts of spending money on drink .

I ain't going out tonight. Was asked to join some mates when I finish work at 11pm but gonna pass.

Was luckily v-well organised last Christmas when my now Late Loving Dad & I would visit all these people & places BEFORE Christmas and done so before he passed away on December 20th lastyear ...

This year though I've not yet had the strength to go solo, so since I'm off work the next 4-days I'm gonna get up early for my exercise and then go visiting. Prefer that to curing a hangover tbh!

Have fun if you are going out though,
    kerry4sam

If a fire broke out in some of these places it would be stardust all over again. [OUOTE]

Only remember about that now, sure the owners never came forward and apologized, even though they were the ones who has the bloody fire exits chained. That's the problem with some of these pub and club owners, it's all about getting money through the door at the end of the day, even if it means risking health and safety issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 SuperNova1890

College work to do... 20 page essay... due the first week of January... still haven't started it...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Was going to go out with a relative, decided not to go, when no one we knew wanted to go. Was asked by a few others, turned down their offers because I don't really see the point anyway. Personally, I think Stephen's Night is really only for people to go out who otherwise are too busy to during the year, rather than people who go out at least once a month, like myself. Planning a huge piss-up for New Years, don't see the need to get wasted a few days prior as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is dublin not quiet that night?

Nope, it's mad jams
    College work to do... 20 page essay... due the first week of January... still haven't started it...

Go out and celebrate tonight the essay that you will have finished by the New Year.

I thought the Dublin vintners had it off as a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

After two days of cooking, cleaning up and suffering other peoples squabbling teenagers (just because some of them are in their 50s doesn't seem to stop them acting 16) St. Stephens day is quiet recovery time.
    Plus, I can't be bothered with sharing a pub with people who either haven't learned how to behave in public or have forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Got off flight about 5pm, (UK for Xmas with the family), managed to grab a couple before last orders, but everyone else was mangled. Obviously been there since opening. We are now sitting on the couch, Bond movie, little schmoke and a tescos jalfrezi. I couldn't be happier - I also have a bag of revels. I am LIVING THE DREAM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Been out and home again. Gone are the days when I could be bothered fighting for the attention of the barman with 30 other people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My brother just gave me a copy of Alien: Isolation so if I don't post in a while, assume I've died from shock-induced heart failure.
    Also: I'm pretty sure I just ate the equilvelant of an entire wheel of cheese.
    Hoping to brave the sales tomorrow in search of a new memory card for my phone so for now, I'm staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Staying in with the wife and a sack of chronic.

Another reason to not bother with pubs anymore. Ridiculous prices and supercilious bar staff - who can resist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'm not going out, I'm heading to Dingle early tamara. Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The friggary lies in the name Steve being short for Stephen.

Unless Stephen is a girl, in which case the short version is Steph or Steff.

Confuses the hell out of me. :(
    And then there's others languages...

I know a German bloke called Steffen (sounds like 'deafen')...and most people mispronounce it as Stefan. Drives him up the wall.

KungPao wrote: »
    and most people mispronounce it as Stefan.

I'd pronounce Stefan like 'deafen'. What way do people usually pronounce it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

In bed with my pile of new books. Very happy.

The friggary lies in the name Steve being short for Stephen.

Unless Stephen is a girl, in which case the short version is Steph or Steff.

Well the different shortening for male and female comes from the different pronunciation of the long version. It's not StEEvanie. Or Stef-an.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

**** it. Just call him Bob....can't go wrong with that name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Getting pissed up outside tonight is really for the younger people.

Sprawling out on the couch drinking wine, stuffing my face and watching James Bond is much, much more preferable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Why is it always "Aren't you going out?". Probably 95% (I'm a scientician) of the population doesn't go out on Saturday nights or Stephenseses night.

The real question is "why the **** are you going out?" You're going to drop the best part of €100 on overpriced ****ty drink and taxies and shiney shirts just to find yourself standing at a bar trying to think up an excuse to get away from the tosser who you were in school with 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement