Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC Car 2 stroke mix, What oil to use?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

There's a specific forum for models.
    RC models generally use nitro fuel - completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭RedDeadMarshal

There's a specific forum for models.
    RC models generally use nitro fuel - completely different.

No the one i'm buying isn't nitro it's petrol. It's a 26cc 2 stroke motor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

http://www.nitrotek.ie/rc-cars/nitro-petrol-cars/1-5-scale/aowei-1-5th-scale-26cc-yama-petrol-rc-buggy-24ghz.html

Interested in this buggy, I'm not sure whether the 2 stroke oil is the same as for a scrambler or an outboard? Do any of you guys know what oil is used in these petrol RC cars?

If this is in the wrong place please move this thread, but I think this topic is associated with motors.
    or
    Thank You!
    This should be in the Models forum directly above this one^^
    But you should be running full synthetic 2 stroke for motorcycles, not outboard two stroke which is designed for cooler running watercooled engines
    The engine in that buggy is a strimmer engine air cooled and pretty high revving.
    Mix at 40:1 with something like Rockoil synthesis or Motul 710 and you will have no hassle.
    Get a dedicated 2 stroke fuel container and only ever have mixed fuel in it, to avoid running it on straight petrol which will seize the engine.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This should be in the Models forum directly above this one^^
    But you should be running full synthetic 2 stroke for motorcycles, not outboard two stroke which is designed for cooler running watercooled engines
    The engine in that buggy is a strimmer engine air cooled and pretty high revving.
    Mix at 40:1 with something like Rockoil synthesis or Motul 710 and you will have no hassle.
    Get a dedicated 2 stroke fuel container and only ever have mixed fuel in it, to avoid running it on straight petrol which will seize the engine.

Thanks i'll ask in the models section

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

moved from motors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That size of model engine use gasoline-oil mix, and the oil is the same as used by eg 2-stroke lawnmower, strimmer, and motorcycle engines.

Usually the mix is 2-3% but varies between makes. Check the recommended mix for the make of engine in the car. Make sure your oil is 2-stroke specification and well mixed into the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Tiernan85

As mentioned above. Get a fully synthetic oil. I ran an HPI Baja for a few years. I always used fully synth castrol racing 2t(gold bottle), it's pricey @ about €17/L but I never had any trouble with it and a few others ran it too, and it's available at halfords so it's easy to come by.

Oh you want your mix ratio at 25:1. Those fuel mix bottles mentioned previously are great and make things easy.

Tiernan85 wrote: »
    As mentioned above. Get a fully synthetic oil. I ran an HPI Baja for a few years. I always used fully synth castrol racing 2t(gold bottle), it's pricey @ about €17/L but I never had any trouble with it and a few others ran it too, and it's available at halfords so it's easy to come by.

Oh you want your mix ratio at 25:1. Those fuel mix bottles mentioned previously are great and make things easy.
    Really 25:1? that would be a lot of oil in the mix leading to a lean fuel condition.
    I run all my 2 stroke stuff at 40:1 and they run good at that ratio, 25:1 used to be what the manufacturers recommend if you didn't use their own brand oil but with modern oils 40:1 is fine, I have a lot of hours put up on chainsaws, trimmers, motorcycles and leafblowers with 40:1 and have yet to have a problem.

It definitely sounds like you have more experience than myself so I'm not trying to go against the grain with you. Hpi had always recommended(and still do) that mixture rate and I always ran that with their motors. When I started running tuned/ported motors I adjusted to about 28:1 as per their recommendation(Oneill Brothers Racing).

Tiernan85 wrote: »
    It definitely sounds like you have more experience than myself so I'm not trying to go against the grain with you. Hpi had always recommended(and still do) that mixture rate and I always ran that with their motors. When I started running tuned/ported motors I adjusted to about 28:1 as per their recommendation(Oneill Brothers Racing).
    Fair enough, I can't say I have run any HPI engines, my cars are Nitro.
    If they have jetted the engine to run at 25:1 then its best to run with what HPI recommend.
    I just find it curious TBH that they recommend such a rich Oil/Fuel mix.
    Most of these engines are derived from Strimmer engines which nearly always recommend 50:1, Primarily for reasons to do with emissions, maybe hobby engines are different?
    If the OP gets back to us it would be interesting to see what the manufacturer recommends.

• Advertisement

Looking at the manual for this on that website, it also states that the mixture is 25:1. Perhaps the rc engines are slightly different than the general strimmer engines? Or perhaps they are not bound by the same regulations for emissions(quite likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

Yes 25:1 is correct you have to remember aswell that the rc engines are goin to rev a lot higher than the chainsaws etc.

Hey it's the op, fully synthetic oil usually causes tuning problems on these yama buggies, My one hasn't arrived yet so I still don't know the fuel mixture but it's not recommended to run fully synthetic 2 stroke oil because (Fully synthetic is to slippery and it will take forever to break in the engine and seat the piston ring to the cylinder wall) As some other guys on other forums tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Hi. Sorry to drag an old thread up..
    Can confirm 25:1..
    I'm using halfords own part synthetic oil and its working fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 batskat

The blurb from the OP says at the bottom

http://www.nitrotek.ie/rc-cars/nitro...ggy-24ghz.html

A mix of normal unleaded petrol and 2 stroke oil (Both of these are available from any petrol station)
    8 x AA Batteries.

Lots of forums for those types of cars will say what oil mix types work well or best

25:1 ratio is 4% oil . Engine with plain bearing tend to be higher oil .Needle bearing engines for piston tend to be lowwer ratio 2%

The average oil for 2 stroke scooters or outboard engines should do the job .This type of oil will mix with Petrol fuel that has 5% ethanol typical normal car fuel .

Advertisement