Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast..not loving it yet!

Options
  • 26-12-2014 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

ok. Got chromecast a while back. Hugely disappointed to be honest. Kids use it for YouTube but that's about all. I usually love a new gadget, but I'm getting nowhere with this!
    Looking to watch TV players . Nothing fancy. Catchup on missed tv really. We have eircom efiber TV, and it doesn't have rte player etc.
    Also looking watch movies from tablet if possible?
    From ipad or android tablet, or phone even!
    Any help welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Thanks Pat! Does it have to be allcast premium? Having no joy with the free version. Just getting no media playback message.
    Also how do I mirror?
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    Thanks Pat! Does it have to be allcast premium? Having no joy with the free version. Just getting no media playback message.
    Also how do I mirror?
    Thanks again!

Are you android?

What you trying to play? Just phone vids?

Maybe if it isnt playing use the chromecast app to mirror the phone screen, then download VLC which generally plays anything, open it, set your phone to widescreen and it should work, you may have to change screen timeout to stop it switching off though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    ok. Got chromecast a while back. Hugely disappointed to be honest. Kids use it for YouTube but that's about all. I usually love a new gadget, but I'm getting nowhere with this!
    Looking to watch TV players . Nothing fancy. Catchup on missed tv really. We have eircom efiber TV, and it doesn't have rte player etc.
    Also looking watch movies from tablet if possible?
    From ipad or android tablet, or phone even!
    Any help welcome!

I use Chromecast with my Nexus 5 which has a 'Cast Screen' facility. Anything I have opened on my phone I can cast to my TV. I find it great for viewing .pdf files, user manuals etc. Also you can show Word documents or anything else I have opened in my phone. I intend to get Netflix as this would be much cheaper than my present Sky Films monthly sub.

I also use it with Chrome browser on my Samsung Galaxy Note 1 phone and finds that works well too but I can't 'Cast Screen' as my 4 year old phone doesn't have that facility.

With my iMac or Windows laptop I can cast my own videos onto the TV by opening a new tab in Chrome browser, drag and drop my video into the empty browser window and it will play without any bother on my TV.

As you mention YouTube works very well with it too. In the US they have many more apps that work with Chromecast so I suppose eventually they will come up with more apps here too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

I think cc is excellent. I use videostream to play all my TV/films from PC. YouTube and Netflix also great on it

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Thanks everyone! See the problem was I thought it must be good! Everyone says so!! I just didn't get the hang of it! I'd usually be all over a new gadget!
    Figured out the mirroring yesterday, so I feel better about it now!
    Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

i recommand video stream too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Patww79 wrote: »
    Use AllCast and you can stream downloaded video files with it. A lot of devices also do screen mirroring, so it means you can play anything off the phone/tablet.

I find LocalCast much better than Allcast. It has a free version which will do everything like play from a NAS or DLNA server or anything on your network really, plays stuff stored locally on your phone/tablet, plays from the cloud such as Google Drive and most importantly plays stuff that is on an app we cannot mention but if you want to look at someting on the BOX it will SHOW it for you.
    It also has a donate option so nice that you can support the devs

Google Music and Tunein are great on the Chromecast too.

If you google Chromecast apps in the play store there are loafs of things that you can do with it.

There is a large thread on it already so I won't bore you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

No more mentioning of piracy services folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

One word - Plex, all devices can access your locally stored media via its app, internal or externally and you can send the movies / videos / shows to your Chromecast. Well worth it.

Advertisement