Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong Windows OS

• 26-12-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to fix a laptop, first problem is the Os is windows 7 ultimate when the product key is for 7 pro. Where could I download pro as the key is on the back of the laptop?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Windows 7 Professional SP1-U ISO x64 English:
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Monotype wrote: »
    Windows 7 Professional SP1-U ISO x64 English:
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso

Thanks Monotype

Another question when I reinstall windows what would the be the best way to get all the missing drivers, I did try and go to devise manager but it said they where all up to date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would go to the manufacturer website. E.g., if it's Dell or something, go to the product page and get what you can - Except maybe graphics drivers, which I'd get directly from nvidia/intel/amd as these tend to be updated most regularly.

If you still need some, you have to head to the websites of the individual components. E.g., Realtek might have the network or audio drivers but it usually requires a bit of digging around as to find which ones you need.

If you're really stuck, I'd sometimes look at the pages of similar products on the laptop maker's site as they often put the same components in their ranges of products.

Monotype wrote: »
    I would go to the manufacturer website. E.g., if it's Dell or something, go to the product page and get what you can - Except maybe graphics drivers, which I'd get directly from nvidia/intel/amd as these tend to be updated most regularly.

If you still need some, you have to head to the websites of the individual components. E.g., Realtek might have the network or audio drivers but it usually requires a bit of digging around as to find which ones you need.

If you're really stuck, I'd sometimes look at the pages of similar products on the laptop maker's site as they often put the same components in their ranges of products.

Thanks again, Ive seen software that looks for missing drivers would this be a option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Thanks again, Ive seen software that looks for missing drivers would this be a option?

I would stay away from those nasty little programs (I don't know if I can mention them here) but my experience with them is that they download all sorts of nasties and try and get you to pay money for faster download speed. The only time I've been tempted to use one of those programs was when I completely stuck as to what an "unknown device" was in device manager. The program told what it was and then I went off and got the driver myself. Now if I'm stuck I use the device id method but it's very rare I can usually the drivers from the computer's website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Avoid like the plague.

Thanks for the help everyone, downloaded the win7 pro iso just waiting to get the laptop. It looks like a bad copy of win ultimate downloaded of a torrent site. windows is not even activated on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are apps that export the existing drivers

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

There is a lot of drivers missing on it as it stands, but that's a hand tool thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

I know you have gotten your answer but just to note.

If you select the device in device manager (right click > properties >details tab) you can select the hardware ID. A quick Google on this unique string will identify the device, from there just hit up the vendor site for a driver.

Advertisement