Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure if it's the right decision or not

• 26-12-2014 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I'm about to sign an agreement with a immigration agent for a 5 year migration Visa in Aus and I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake or not . I am a 37 year old guy in permanent employment , I an single and don't have any dependants or mortgage . I have a decent job though , I grossed 65k this year , now a lot of that was earned through shift allowance oncall and overtime , my gross wage before all those add on us 35 to 40k . I am considering moving because I don't have much of a life here , I have a few friends but have a fairly boring routine , money wise I would probably have to take a bit of a hit as the most I think I can earn over there is 32 dollars an hour , I'm also hearing stories that Aus is about to enter a recession so I'm not sure what to do , I have a brother over there though which is done support at least , would appreciate some advice , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I'm about to sign an agreement with a immigration agent for a 5 year migration Visa in Aus and I'm not sure if I'm making a mistake or not . I am a 37 year old guy in permanent employment , I an single and don't have any dependants or mortgage . I have a decent job though , I grossed 65k this year , now a lot of that was earned through shift allowance oncall and overtime , my gross wage before all those add on us 35 to 40k . I am considering moving because I don't have much of a life here , I have a few friends but have a fairly boring routine , money wise I would probably have to take a bit of a hit as the most I think I can earn over there is 32 dollars an hour , I'm also hearing stories that Aus is about to enter a recession so I'm not sure what to do , I have a brother over there though which is done support at least , would appreciate some advice , thanks

Tbh $32hr is pretty crap, double it and it would a decent starting point. If you are working long hours in Ireland then likely it would be same here especially on that hourly rate. Also the the Ireland v Aus lifestyle is different for everyone, so for some there is no benefit or advantage. It would hard for anyone to advise on your situation except for those I highlighted.

For you having no ties means there's less risk in giving it a go, otherwise its up to you to live with the wondering 'what if'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Any chance of a career break of a year or two so you can return if oz does nothing for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

catbear wrote: »
    Any chance of a career break of a year or two so you can return if oz does nothing for you.

No chance of s career break and 32 dollars an hour is the max I will get

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Tbh $32hr is pretty crap, double it and it would a decent starting point. If you are working long hours in Ireland then likely it would be same here especially on that hourly rate. Also the the Ireland v Aus lifestyle is different for everyone, so for some there is no benefit or advantage. It would hard for anyone to advise on your situation except for those I highlighted.

For you having no ties means there's less risk in giving it a go, otherwise its up to you to live with the wondering 'what if'.

So your basically saying 32 dollars an hour there v 65k a year here is a massive cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

So your basically saying 32 dollars an hour there v 65k a year here is a massive cut

Yes.
    In real terms, bear in mind there are different views on this, a figure that gets used a lot is a rule of thumb conversion factor of 2.5. So to have a similar standard of living and disposable income in oz you could be looking at a salary of 65 x 2.5 = $162.5k.
    That is a pretty sizeable income.
    Obviously we don't know what your skills are so not sure if the slow down in Oz would affect you or not.
    The other thing is that some skills in oz are valued way more than at home while some are the inverse so hard to say.
    My nephews are in college and work as pool lifeguards on weekends earning $25 an hour part-time...!
    $32 an hour is not a lot, it's plenty to live on for a singe guy but not much else.
    Don't get confused by some of the threads on here where people are living on $20 an hour or whatever, they are usually backpackers with 10 to a room etc.
    Assume you would want own place, car etc so you 'll need to aim higher.
    Don't know your personal circumstances so not sure how bad you want to leave Ireland but unless you want to cut all ties and leave forever I'd reconsider.
    Oz is great but is more of a long term investment if you follow me?

Once you leave Ireland and if you had to go home can you return to old career, pick up where you left off etc? If not important to you then don't worry but if oz doesn't work and you return to a €25k job in Ireland would that be a problem?

Summary: most people come to Oz to improve their livelihood, you look like you would be taking a significant drop. If that is important to you then reconsider, if you want to see out your days somewhere sunny and not worried about money then come down.
    Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No chance of s career break and 32 dollars an hour is the max I will get

For what it's worth i moved to oz in my 40s, saved loads while au$ was really strong, wouldn't do it now.
    Each to thièr own and all that but I found Australian life extremely boring and am glad to move on. Personally I prefer New Zealand.

Yep as d.pop says x2.5 your Irish rate to get equivalent in Aus.

Full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings $1453.90 /40
    =$36hr that's the average and almost laughable at that.

$32 is pure rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

$32 ph with no chance of improvement? Unless you're coming over with a serious wad of cash you will be disappointed. Doing things here can be expensive at times. Tickets for a gig can be $150, football finals: a couple of hundred bucks. What do you want to do with your life here? Living centrally will cost a significant proportion of your take home pay unless you are prepared to share.
    If you're shelling out for a 5 year visa you'll have to make some sort of go of a few years or it will be a waste of money.
    If all you want is the experience of living here for an extended period try it, but your wage might limit what sort of experience that will be unless you have Euros to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Ok, so you earn €65K a year with allowances and overtime. Over here, 38 hour week, $32 an hour, you'd gross about $63-64K a year with NO OVERTIME.

€35000 is about $52500
    €40000 is about $60000

If you did an extra 10 hours per week overtime your getting up to about $80,000 which is about €53,000

So with NO OVERTIME you are already ahead of being in Ireland financially.

The x2.5 rule seems way too far fetched to me. Before I left Ireland I was getting probably €51,500 a year gross. Here, I'm getting about $150K (thats after a $23000 pay cut this year) and my standard of living is extraordinarily greater than being in Ireland.

Australia is more expensive for certain things thats true. Buying/renting is more expensive but I've always had reasonably cheap and great places to live.

As regards to doubling $32 an hour as a good starting point, thats a bit unrealistic unless you are in a very highly sought after, desired field. It's a bit of a joke to expect $64 an hour and I'd like to see how and where these jobs are easily available, because I'd like one.

I've worked here before on $65,000 a year, lived in a fantastic share house with 2 other guys in the inner west, close to everything, had a car, a 4WD and had plenty of disposable income to live a good, fun lifestyle and not stress about money too much.

I have a degree in chemistry and I work as a QC Chemist often referred to as a QC Analyst or Lab Technician, it seems to be a more professional career in Ireland. Most people in this career in Ireland earn about 35-40k, some earn more others a little less. With shift one can earn a good bit more but it mainly is a 8-4.30 job in most places, my basic gross is in the 30s but as I have mentioned with my yearly bonus, shift and being on call my salary is significantly increased

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »

As regards to doubling $32 an hour as a good starting point, thats a bit unrealistic unless you are in a very highly sought after, desired field. It's a bit of a joke to expect $64 an hour and I'd like to see how and where these jobs are easily available, because I'd like one.

Did a quick search and there is 15496 jobs on seek offering an hourly rate of $60+, easily available to those suited it's hardly a joke.

Did a quick search and there is 15496 jobs on seek offering an hourly rate of $60+, easily available to those suited it's hardly a joke.

Perhaps he implied suited to me since the max I can find is 32

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I grossed 65k this year , now a lot of that was earned through shift allowance oncall and overtime , my gross wage before all those add on us 35 to 40k . I am considering moving because I don't have much of a life here s

Just an observation but why not just stop doing overtime / terrible shifts. Could potentially improve your quality of life without the need to move across the globe.

c0rk3r wrote: »
    Just an observation but why not just stop doing overtime / terrible shifts. Could potentially improve your quality of life without the need to move across the globe.

Its more a case of me doing shift and overtime to fill time as opposed to it preventing me from doing stuff

The x2.5 rule seems way too far fetched to me. Before I left Ireland I was getting probably €51,500 a year gross. Here, I'm getting about $150K (thats after a $23000 pay cut this year) and my standard of living is extraordinarily greater....

The 2.5 is a rule of thumb as pointed out, of course it doesn't apply across the board, it can't, but it is a starting point. Your own salary jumped by a factor of close to x3 so there is merit in a universal factor albeit it can be subjective.

We can't compare apples with apples either because we don't know the OP's lifestyle but can only assume that a single guy on €65k in a somewhat deflated economy like Ireland has a hefty disposable income.
    The equivalent income in Oz would need to be pretty high.
    Yes, you can live on $65k in Oz but seriously it is not a lot of money. A man in his late 30's will probably expect more of life's luxuries to be available but of course I'm speculating.

And of course there are jobs that pay more and less, depends on your industry, most of people I work with would not get out of bed for less than $60 an hour, but that's a while other story and a result of FIFO and living in Perth where wages are somewhat skewed.

But that said, now the OP has posted a bit more it appears he is "bored" and looking for a change, not looking for the big bucks so oz could be for him. A lab technician is a good steady position in oz and if happy with a reasonable income and 40hrs a week then the great outdoors and all oz has to offer are there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Shadow, I work in the pharma industry here and it's taken a bit of a hit here the last two years, you won't find a job comparable to 65€k to be honest as a qc analyst.

I reckon a comparable wage here in Melbourne would be 100-110k$ for the same standard of living, and on shift I've known people to make around $70k a year here

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Hi, I sold my house , left a good job and brought the family lock , stock and barrel to Perth in 2006. We were committed to a new life. At first life over there seemed reasonably good , with the novelty factor. After a while reality set .
    I had no mortgage there and yet found it expensive to live there.
    We also found that the Aussies were not very receptive to foreigners taking there jobs.
    The Aussies paint a very nice picture of australian life, which is not always a true picture. One of the main attractions of perth is the beautiful beaches and the weather, but more often than not the sun is too strong to be out in and. The sea can have very dangerous currents as well as the dangerous creatures in the sea.
    As far as I'm concerned these two things were the bonuses to living in Perth but after a while we're not very attractive for the reasons I have given. Ireland has everything else that Australia has to offer - We came to realise that and moved back home after a year. I am glad we went to Australia because it made us realise that fields are not always greener on the other side. And 7 years later I thank god I Am living in Ireland rather than there. While life here can be hard , it is home. I was extremely lucky to get my old job back and sometimes wonder why I gave up a very good job to go there. Good jobs are hard to get.
    If you go to Australia I would urge you to try and keep your job open and your home until you are 100% content with your move.
    Best of luck with your decision.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Its more a case of me doing shift and overtime to fill time as opposed to it preventing me from doing stuff

Yeah I thought that may be the case.In the past i've gone down that road. From your research and from what i experienced (I've a similar background to yourself) you'll be taking a hit in wages. The wages being bandied about here are no where near what your likely to earn. Most if not all jobs on seek are from recruiters with short term contracts, generally 6-12 months in duration. If you can cut out the recruiter your wage will vastly increase. For the $32p/h you receive, your employer is paying the recruiter $51p/h.

I imagine what it really comes down to here is whether a different lifestyle in Australia is worth the gamble or not ? No one here can really answer that for you. Some enjoy it... others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate don't come here unless you know what you are looking for?

Do you want to scuba dive?

Do you love sunshine?

Do you love camping?

Basically what is here that is not in Ireland for you?

It is way harder as a 37 year old bloke to mingle out here than a 20 year old backpacker!

Be sure why you want this

From reading this thread I am beginning to realise that it may not be a wise decision to leave my job in Ireland and move to Australia, I simply am not in the career that pays well over there and that is the reality of the situation, one thing I have not mentioned is that my brother lives over there which is something at least, I've been to Melbourne twice before on holidays and I liked it but I wont be spending 5k on a visa to go over there and make pittance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I'd just go for it. You can't take jobs or money too seriously.
    Everyone told me I was crazy to leave a good job with a top company in Dublin. Now I'm probably earning 4 times what I was and have a great lifestyle. Sure I miss home but I can go home once a year. Money comes and goes, don't base your decisions around it, do what makes you happy and good things will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

.. I am glad we went to Australia because it made us realise that fields are not always greener on the other side. ..

As one of my aussie work-buddies likes to say, "if the grass is greener over there, you might want to water your own back yard".

Most of the replies on the money angle here seem to keep focusing on comparing your 'overtime' pay check in Eire, to an ordinary pay check in Aus. They're not really comparable. What's also not comparable are the living conditions and costs between the major cities in each state, never mind the rural areas. Have you fully comprehended how big this place is? Would you move from Ireland to Poland or the UK? Perth and Sydney aren't the only places, and you might have transferable or other soft skills that are useful in other industries.

Personally, i think you ought to get back to basics - compare like for like in your non-overtime wage, compare rental and other living costs, living conditions between the aussie cities. For example, in adelaide, you can find cheap shared accommodation in nice areas. Close to CBD, cheap public transport, or none if you have a bike. Shared accommodation might also drag you out of that box you keep yourself in that has you doing so much overtime just to fill time!! Maybe you need to consider that at home too - having friends and things to do doesn't just happen, you have to make it happen, no mater where you are.

If it were me, and i really felt i had to leave Ireland to get as far away as possible, and felt the antipodes was the only place, i'd ditch the agent and do it myself - though i have no idea what they're 'promising' you, if anything, and under what conditions.. Also - don't forget New Zealand.

Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

NZ is a lovely country but unless you are bringing cash or some other equity to the table forget about it if the plan is to start a new life. If its just a year out, sure go for it but the money in NZ is rubbish compared to OZ and its bloody expensive for the wage you get.

Don't forget to include take home pay as a factor as the tax rates in Australia favour the middle class much more so than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

If you were confident that you could come back to a similar job/pay level, getting an opportunity to work overseas is one I personally think you're better to regret having done than not having done as at least then you'll know.

You could also look at Canada, but having spoken with others who have moved there to work, they haven't painted the most exciting picture.

If you are working overtime to fill time then you're living to work which isn't ideal. Find a sport/activity that you can develop a passion for and you'll find that you can't wait to get out and do it, whether it's mountain biking, surfing, or something with a social touch

I decided a few months ago based on the advice on this thread and because I won't earn as much money over there in my profession not to pursue a permanent Migration Visa and stay in Ireland however I am starting to regret that decision.

I am 36 years old , single with no mortgage and have very few friends here, I have a decent job and live in Waterford which isn't the most exciting of places especially if you were to compare it to somewhere like Melbourne, my life is basically work all week and be bored at the weekends watch tv etc, I go home to visit the parents every month or so but when I say home its the house my parents live in but Its not where I grew up in we don't really know anyone around the community, my parents moved around 3 or 4 times when I was young so I don't have this sense of belonging to any community, this last move happened when I was in college so it definitely was never home for me

Other than the salary my profession would give me over in Australia my other concern is building a career over there, I don't really love want I do and I have never been interested in being promoted in it, I get good money because I do shift and overtime, at 34k a year my basic gross salary is quite modest

AS I may have mentioned already my brother is living in Melbourne and has been going out with an Australian girl for the past 10 years and he has no intention of coming home ever, he has been eager for me to move over for quite some time and said I could stay with him for free until I find a Job and get on my feet

Starting to think I should just go as life is just so boring for me right now and at the end of the day I have no dependents and only myself to look after, I just wish I could go over with better career prospects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Phoenix wrote: »
    Would you consider US or Canada?

I would but the fact I have family over in Australia makes it first choice plus there's no way I would get sponsorship for a visa in the US with my qualifications and experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

you only have one chance in life to make big decisions !! if life is boring at home it certainly is not in Melbourne there is always something to do ! I'm here 6 months unfortuntely with no qualifications and I'm 24 and in a long time relationship with my girlfriend !

IF i was given the option to stay here for a couple of years I'd take hand and all off that person!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I think a select few comments here are way off and, I'd even say, almost designed to completely put you off as if migrating was a huge, mammoth task that only the very best can take on...

Bullsh!t.

Same for people saying you have to be making $60+ per hour to really make it over here - absolute bullsh!t.
    If you're planning on renting a $500+ per/week house on your own on $32 p/hour then yes, that is silly.... but I think those people here are just imagining maintaining their own $60 p/hr lifestyles, but on $32 p/hr.... that is also silly.

If you've nothing holding you back in Ireland (mortgage etc) then you're effectively just moving house and job.
    The most stressful part of migrating is the visa stuff and by the sounds of it, you could have that sorted before you even leave.

Do your research on the job market and where you would like to live (state/suburb etc), bring over a decent wad of cash for the first couple months (another positive, AUD is piss poor at the moment so you'll get plenty for your Euro), get a bank account and a sim card... and away you go.

You only live once and you can always move home to Ireland if things don't work out.

The more research you do, the less daunting the whole idea will be... because you'll realise it's not such a big arduous task (for a singleton with no strings) as some people will lead you to believe.

And to chime in on a good post earlier by woolymammoth, don't forget NZ either - lower cost of living for the most part and still good wages if you are in the right line of work.

• Advertisement

Vertakill wrote: »
    I think some of the comments here are way off and, I'd even say, almost designed to put you off as if migrating was a huge, mammoth task that only the very best can take on...

Bullsh!t.

Same for people saying you have to be making $60+ per hour to really make it over here - absolute bullsh!t.

If you've nothing holding you back in Ireland (mortgage etc) then you're effectively just moving house and job.
    The most stressful part of migrating is the visa stuff and by the sounds of it, you could have that sorted before you even leave.

Do your research on the job market and where you would like to live (state/suburb etc), bring over a wad of cash for the first couple months, get a bank account and a sim card... and away you go.

You only live once and you can always fall back on moving home to Ireland if things don't work out.

The more research you do, the less daunting the whole idea will be... because you'll realise it's not such a big arduous task (for a singleton with no strings) as some people will lead you to believe.

And to chime in on a good post by woolymammoth, don't forget NZ either - lower cost of living for the most part and still good wages if you are in the right line of work.

Hat tip to the above !!

60$ an hour to get by here? some people must be crazy !!

I decided a few months ago based on the advice on this thread and because I won't earn as much money over there in my profession not to pursue a permanent Migration Visa and stay in Ireland however I am starting to regret that decision.

I am 36 years old , single with no mortgage and have very few friends here, I have a decent job and live in Waterford which isn't the most exciting of places especially if you were to compare it to somewhere like Melbourne, my life is basically work all week and be bored at the weekends watch tv etc, I go home to visit the parents every month or so but when I say home its the house my parents live in but Its not where I grew up in we don't really know anyone around the community, my parents moved around 3 or 4 times when I was young so I don't have this sense of belonging to any community, this last move happened when I was in college so it definitely was never home for me

Other than the salary my profession would give me over in Australia my other concern is building a career over there, I don't really love want I do and I have never been interested in being promoted in it, I get good money because I do shift and overtime, at 34k a year my basic gross salary is quite modest

AS I may have mentioned already my brother is living in Melbourne and has been going out with an Australian girl for the past 10 years and he has no intention of coming home ever, he has been eager for me to move over for quite some time and said I could stay with him for free until I find a Job and get on my feet

Starting to think I should just go as life is just so boring for me right now and at the end of the day I have no dependents and only myself to look after, I just wish I could go over with better career prospects

You do know you don't have to work in your profession if you get PR? Once you are in you can work at what ever you want, if your profession is not paying good then maybe try your hand at something else that pays better and that think you might even enjoy it as well. It's hard to break into a new profession but doable if you put your mind to it, one of my mates came as a mechanic and now he joined the police.

I would but the fact I have family over in Australia makes it first choice plus there's no way I would get sponsorship for a visa in the US with my qualifications and experience

I know it's a bit ahead of the game but if you were to get PR and 4 years later you got an Australian Passport you would have a better chance of getting into USA with a E-3 visa for USA (as long as you have a degree) than you would with your Irish passport.

You do know you don't have to work in your profession if you get PR? Once you are in you can work at what ever you want, if your profession is not paying good then maybe try your hand at something else that pays better and that think you might even enjoy it as well. It's hard to break into a new profession but doable if you put your mind to it, one of my mates came as a mechanic and now he joined the police.

I know it's a bit ahead of the game but if you were to get PR and 4 years later you got an Australian Passport you would have a better chance of getting into USA with a E-3 visa for USA (as long as you have a degree) than you would with your Irish passport.

How long does PR Take? Bear in mind ill be 37 in may

Also I was going to spend a good bit of cash on an agent to take care of the visa side of things for me , should I do this myself. Is there a step by step process I cant where I can see exactly what I need to do?

Hat tip to the above !!

60$ an hour to get by here? some people must be crazy !!

$60/hr is very achievable, on a 37hr week without overtime that's only $115K a year that's very modest in Sydney. I had an ex colleague from Donegal just walk into that kind of money in a job in Melbourne, he did bargain a bit to get it but since he was moving his family he was adamant he wanted at least $110K + allowances. Right enough he had a wife and a two year old but if he was single I'd say same boyo would have held out for the same.

Crazy I think not, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $60/hr and I definitely wouldn't work evenings or weekends for less than double that.....simply because I know it's very very obtainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What visa were you talking about in the OP. I assume it was a PR visa.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

state sponsored migration visa subclass 190

$60/hr is very achievable, on a 37hr week without overtime that's only $115K a year that's very modest in Sydney. I had an ex colleague from Donegal just walk into that kind of money in a job in Melbourne, he did bargain a bit to get it but since he was moving his family he was adamant he wanted at least $110K + allowances. Right enough he had a wife and a two year old but if he was single I'd say same boyo would have held out for the same.

Crazy I think not, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $60/hr and I definitely wouldn't work evenings or weekends for less than double that.....simply because I know it's very very obtainable.

Whats his Job Title?

Whats his Job Title?

Hardware Engineer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If it were me, I'd go and do it. There is nothing worse than having regrets.

"When you look back on your life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did."

Give it a go, whats the worst that will happen? If it goes bad, then you can come home, and I'm sure there would be opportunities to get back into the same line of work, or even change a career if thats what you want. And if it goes well, then all good. But at least give it a go and dont regret it in another years time.

Dont be worrying about the money or cost of living etc now. You wont know what you need to live off until you get going there and have your own cost of living. Everyone bases it off their own experiences and situations, so treat them as guides rather than being specific to your own situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am a 37 year old guy

I am 36 years old

Why not wait a few more years, until you get back to your twenties.

• Advertisement

That's a PR visa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

That's a PR visa.

Yeah that's the same visa that I'm on.
    Although, I did 2 WHV's before that.

I'm not sure if you're questioning it or if you're just making a comment, but you can apply directly for that without having to set foot in the country before your application.

Vertakill wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're questioning it or if you're just making a comment, but you can apply directly for that without having to set foot in the country before your application.
    Wasn't questioning it at all. Post was prob hard to follow on its own without context.

Mandrake wrote: »
    You do know you don't have to work in your profession if you get PR? s
    That's a PR visa.

May I ask what your profession/job is for $60 an hour?

May I ask what your profession/job is for $60 an hour?

I'm my case it's a Hardware Engineer, but I have plenty of friends who are doing other occupations would be getting similar.

Also I never said you need $60/hr 'to get by' I said $32/hr is crap because frankly it is.

I'm my case it's a Hardware Engineer, but I have plenty of friends who are doing other occupations would be getting similar.

Also I never said you need $60/hr 'to get by' I said $32/hr is crap because frankly it is.

I wouldn't say it's "'crap'', do you think there are many jobs on offer in Ireland for the euro equivalent of $32?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I wouldn't say it's "'crap'', do you think there are many jobs on offer in Ireland for the euro equivalent of $32?

It's not crap but it's also not great, it's just borderline.

As in yeah you can survive but Sydney is very expensive and if you want a half decent place to live/car etc and a night out at the weekend you won't have much change left for savings etc.

You can't compare Ireland and Australia, they are completely different in terms of cost of living.

It's all relative I think, the OP was earning 65k in Ireland, that is a bloody good wage at home but of course depends on ones personal circumstances and tendency to spend money.

To deal in real terms that equivalent buying/spending power would surely be in the $150k region in Oz.
    In my industry, FIFO to remote construction sites, there are few management types on less than $100 p. hour.
    That is an excellent salary BUT none of these guys are driving ferraris around Perth because most have families etc to support.

Thing is that not all industries are equal between the 2 countries and sometimes your earning power is doubled OR halved or similar just by moving abroad!

When you read the OP again it is leaning towards money being an issue, I think this is what has thrown the thread off line somewhat with people debating the finances, personally , I stand by my original reply on this post along the lines of if money is a big issue oz MIGHT not be the best option based on the OP's earning power in oz versus Ireland, if a change of lifestyle and scenery is required without worrying about making a fortune oz could be the answer.

As already mentioned cost of living is different and its all relative, a professional aiming for $50+ ph is not unreasonable when a labourer is earning $25-$30. As often you have people on here whinging about about a pint of beer being so expensive at $8, yet they often think $30 ph is somehow fantastic because they convert that to €22.

It's ok if you are supplementing your holiday on a WHV, but in the case of the OP was talking about a skilled visa meaning that he is a professional.

He mentions that $32 for a Lab tech, reality is that a Lab tech in Australia might simply be a sample loader & button pusher on an Analyser which you wouldn't need a degree for but with his qualifications he might actually be classed as a scientist interpreting the results in which case he could be selling himself short.

So you might think that $32 is not crap but I know lead hands formworking bridges and laying gas at $55+ph and their monkeys are only getting $30 because that's the going rate. On the positive it's better than bar work rates which is really crap but at $32 i wouldn't be pulling out the cigars.

Yes I have noticed that a lot of the lab tech jobs on seek seem basic enough roles so perhaps I am selling myself short, My official title is QC Biochemist. Now I did mention in a previous post that I gross 65k but that's because I'm on call and on shift and do some overtime, my gross salary without all the extras is a more modest 34k, so perhaps I could get a better rate for my actual experience and skills than 32 dollars an hour

• Advertisement
Advertisement