Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure if it's the right decision or not

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes I have noticed that a lot of the lab tech jobs on seek seem basic enough roles so perhaps I am selling myself short, My official title is QC Biochemist. Now I did mention in a previous post that I gross 65k but that's because I'm on call and on shift and do some overtime, my gross salary without all the extras is a more modest 34k, so perhaps I could get a better rate for my actual experience and skills than 32 dollars an hour

Would a biomedical technician be simialr? I have no idea, just asking as there's job's for that on seek for $90k pa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Would a biomedical technician be simialr? I have no idea, just asking as there's job's for that on seek for $90k pa

Depends on the job description, but that sounds like a Service Technician for medical equipment. OP sounds rather like an end user.

If you have a link I could give you a better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Depends on the job description, but that sounds like a Service Technician for medical equipment. OP sounds rather like an end user.

If you have a link I could give you a better idea.

It was this one, but I think your are right about it being a more maintainence/service engineer role that a lab tech role.
    http://www.seek.com.au/job/28287754?pos=5&type=standard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yes I have noticed that a lot of the lab tech jobs on seek seem basic enough roles so perhaps I am selling myself short, My official title is QC Biochemist. Now I did mention in a previous post that I gross 65k but that's because I'm on call and on shift and do some overtime, my gross salary without all the extras is a more modest 34k, so perhaps I could get a better rate for my actual experience and skills than 32 dollars an hour

Maybe you are selling yourself short & could get more than the basic here. You're obviously in a rut where you are, so take the punt & head to Oz.

You have the bonus of family and a place to stay while you set up or for longer, a lot of people don't have that luxury. Fact is, if you rent here in the big cities a great chunk of your salary will go on board and bills. I would add as in previous post, bring enough cash with you for all scenarios.

Also as mentioned by d.pop, not all industries are the same between Australia & Ireland. I personally have taken a hit wage wise because my industry here is flooded with too many new local graduates and no wage increase in 4/5 years in the main cities. I could earn more regionally but I want to live in Melbourne. Meanwhile pals in Ireland took a hit during the recession but it's back up again now with inflation.

$32 ph is an alright start with minimal rent, but the more inclined you are to settle here, the more you will need a higher wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You do know you don't have to work in your profession if you get PR? Once you are in you can work at what ever you want, if your profession is not paying good then maybe try your hand at something else that pays better and that think you might even enjoy it as well. It's hard to break into a new profession but doable if you put your mind to it, one of my mates came as a mechanic and now he joined the police.

I know it's a bit ahead of the game but if you were to get PR and 4 years later you got an Australian Passport you would have a better chance of getting into USA with a E-3 visa for USA (as long as you have a degree) than you would with your Irish passport.

Yes but what jobs pay well in Australia that you don't need a 3rd level qualification for, also is it possible to study part-time in Australia whilst on this visa, is it very expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

You've been mulling this over for 3 years. Enough research and advice has been given. Its up to you, either do it or don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

c0rk3r wrote: »
    You've been mulling this over for 3 years. Enough research and advice has been given. Its up to you, either do it or don't.

Exactly, make a decision one way or another and stick to it. You will drive yourself mad constantly analysing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yes but what jobs pay well in Australia that you don't need a 3rd level qualification for, also is it possible to study part-time in Australia whilst on this visa, is it very expensive?

On a 190 visa you can work at anything you want (except government jobs that require citizenship), full time, part time or not at all if you choose (and can afford it). If you want to study part time that's no problem and not a bad idea to keep yourself marketable. Studying at TAFE which is like further education college is not wildly expensive but universities can be.

As for what jobs pay well, there is no definitive list. I believe anybody can do any job they want if the apply themselves enough, qualifications are only a sheets of paper indicating that you have foundation knowledge in a particular field. They are particularly useful for getting your foot through the door and proving that you have the ability to learn . The real knowledge is learning on the job.

Advertisement