Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog friendly house or apartment for rent in Dublin ?

• 26-12-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everybody,

we will come to Ireland in January. I am looking to rent small house or apartment. We have two small dogs - poodle and dachshund. Both of them are very decent gentlemen used to live in the house.
    Maybe some of you knows for some dog friendly accomodation for rent. We are family of three, + two doggies. Location - If you can offer something we will think about it. We tought about Dublin or south to Cork. Waterford,Wexford, Cork, every location may be interesting...
    We wish to find something for a longer period of time.
    Or homesitting while we are looking for steady accomodation.
    Thank you very much for any advice. We would like to come together, my wife, son, me and dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 splitcro

Thank you all for reading, obviously something is wrong with my post since there is no even one answer.
    Lets try to put it this way: is there anybody who can give me advice where to live for the first month or so with two dogs in Ireland, from Dublin to Wexford ? I understand that I have to come over there to find accomodation I need, and it will take some time for sure.... People usually use hostels for the first period of time. I can't because of dogs. They are not used to some kind of dog's hotel, they will die there.
    Could someone help with some advice?

Thank you very much...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Have you tried a website called Daft.ie & put Pets Allowed in the search criteria?

Another option would be to find a deal on a price with a boarding kennels for a longer stay while you find pet friendly rental. It can be done as I rented for 6 years with several dogs.

Knine wrote: »
    Have you tried a website called Daft.ie & put Pets Allowed in the search criteria?

Another option would be to find a deal on a price with a boarding kennels for a longer stay while you find pet friendly rental. It can be done as I rented for 6 years with several dogs.

No, I did not, but I will try thanks to you :-)....are you still in that place? I mean if you are not, maybe its availible..

Thanks so much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

splitcro wrote: »
    No, I did not, but I will try thanks to you :-)....are you still in that place? I mean if you are not, maybe its availible..

Thanks so much..

Hi the place is let out but unfortunately I cannot recommend the landlord as I had trouble getting deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thank you all for reading, obviously something is wrong with my post since there is no even one answer.
    Lets try to put it this way: is there anybody who can give me advice where to live for the first month or so with two dogs in Ireland, from Dublin to Wexford ? I understand that I have to come over there to find accomodation I need, and it will take some time for sure.... People usually use hostels for the first period of time. I can't because of dogs. They are not used to some kind of dog's hotel, they will die there.
    Could someone help with some advice?

Thank you very much...

Yeah you posted it over Christmas...im sure most people were too busy to post over Christmas.

Im sure you will find it very hard renting a house in Dublin that allow pets. I have been in my house for 5 years now and the only reason I am staying put because its SOOOO hard to find rented houses which allow pets. Dublin in my opinion is very anti dogs compared to Europe (I don't know where you are coming from). There are very little places you can bring them (i.e. cafes etc). I know one hotel in the whole of South Dublin which allow dogs (and of course you have to pay a fee). Im not certain, but you may have a better chance in the country as opposed to Dublin.

I found if you are honest with the landlord and suggest paying a separate deposits for the dogs (that's what my friend had to do recently) on top of the months rent deposit for yourself they might be more inclined.

Also, if you have rented a property with these dogs before, ask you previous landlord to write a letter confirming that your dogs did no damage. It may not work but its no harm trying!

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    Yeah you posted it over Christmas...im sure most people were too busy to post over Christmas.

Im sure you will find it very hard renting a house in Dublin that allow pets. I have been in my house for 5 years now and the only reason I am staying put because its SOOOO hard to find rented houses which allow pets. Dublin in my opinion is very anti dogs compared to Europe (I don't know where you are coming from). There are very little places you can bring them (i.e. cafes etc). I know one hotel in the whole of South Dublin which allow dogs (and of course you have to pay a fee). Im not certain, but you may have a better chance in the country as opposed to Dublin.

I found if you are honest with the landlord and suggest paying a separate deposits for the dogs (that's what my friend had to do recently) on top of the months rent deposit for yourself they might be more inclined.

Also, if you have rented a property with these dogs before, ask you previous landlord to write a letter confirming that your dogs did no damage. It may not work but its no harm trying!

Thank you very much, I am from Croatia, we have no issues like this, in some expensive places or newly renovated appartments people dont like dogs, but I would say that 50 % of the landlords doesnt have anything against the dogs in the house unless everything else is paid and you gave proper deposit...Honestly, I did expect some problems which is normal when you are comig to the new place, but I never tought that poodle in the apartment could be a biggest problem, especially because my dogs are 9 and 5 and they are raised in the apartment and never destroyed anything. Do you know why? Because they are treated good, and they dont have reason to be neurotic which some of landlords obviously are (sorry).

I will probably have to look somewhere in the countryside which is stupid because dogs are living in, not out of the house.
    I appreciate your advice, but honestly apartments in Dublin are among the most expensive in Europe, do I have to pay even higher rent because of dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thank you very much, I am from Croatia, we have no issues like this, in some expensive places or newly renovated appartments people dont like dogs, but I would say that 50 % of the landlords doesnt have anything against the dogs in the house unless everything else is paid and you gave proper deposit...Honestly, I did expect some problems which is normal when you are comig to the new place, but I never tought that poodle in the apartment could be a biggest problem, especially because my dogs are 9 and 5 and they are raised in the apartment and never destroyed anything. Do you know why? Because they are treated good, and they dont have reason to be neurotic which some of landlords obviously are (sorry).

I will probably have to look somewhere in the countryside which is stupid because dogs are living in, not out of the house.
    I appreciate your advice, but honestly apartments in Dublin are among the most expensive in Europe, do I have to pay even higher rent because of dogs?

I was lucky and my landlord had absolutely no issues with my dogs. My friend recently rented a property in the Clonskeagh area of Dublin. She had to pay €1,500 for her deposit and another €600 on top of that for deposit for her dog. Im not saying you cant rent in Dublin with dogs or that you would have to pay extra but if a landlord is hesitant, it might be a good idea to offer a separate deposit.

I don't know why landlords have an issue with pets....dogs especially. Its very disappointing as im sure a lot of people are forced to give up their pets because of this.

Best of luck anyway and I hope you enjoy your move to Ireland....wherever you end up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You are far more likely to find a house, than an apartment. With apartments, it is not necessarily the landlord that has an issue, but the management company, who will not allow pets. At the moment, there is a high demand for rentals, so landlords are naturally going to choose tenants with no pets. No matter how clean and behaved your dogs may be, they are going to cause more wear and tear to the property. Any landlord will avoid this where possible, unless they are dog lovers and are sympathetic to your situation.

Advertisement