Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

been banned from airsoft adverts for threadspoiling

Options
  • 26-12-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057336522&page=2

thread above:)

as I pm dogwatch the mod involved:

"I was innocently wondering if it was still for sale as I was going to make an offer on it if was..this ad hadn't been locked by a moderator yet and the seller had not made any mention of it either."

thanks in advance hope we can get this overruled should have been obvious to the seller and mod that I was asking if it had been sold yet:)

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, before I look at this a couple of points:

1. You received an infraction, not a ban. I presume you wish to appeal that infraction?
    2. You make reference to a PM you sent the mod. Has the mod responded? Have you exhausted your discussion with the mod (which is a prerequisite of starting an appeal)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, before I look at this a couple of points:

1. You received an infraction, not a ban. I presume you wish to appeal that infraction?
    2. You make reference to a PM you sent the mod. Has the mod responded? Have you exhausted your discussion with the mod (which is a prerequisite of starting an appeal)?

1 yes :

2 we had a conversation by pm but he had no interest in listening to me..

i can PM you our conversation or post the full version here i you need?

thanks again:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

davycc wrote: »

i can PM you our conversation or post the full version here i you need?
    Pleas forward the full exchange to me via PM

Thanks

i will now thanks:)

OK, I've received that thanks

The thread in question is here

It is clear that a deal had been agreed on 23 December at posts 27 and 28. However you then made a post which simply said "sold"

From the Charter
    Steve wrote: »
    Thread spoiling/profiteering/thread-jacking/lowballing.

Thread spoiling:
    What is thread spoiling?
    Essentially, thread spoiling is posting a comment on someones ad that is not an offer or a question relevant to the thread and is not permitted.

Comments such as these are all thread spoiling.:
    "Oooh, that's a nice <item>, I wish I could afford it"
    "Heh, you can get it cheaper from <wherever>"
    "Happy birthday"
    "I have the same one for sale, check out my a
    It is very clear to me that your post falls within the definition of "thread spoiling" set out above. Your statement of "sold" may have been to disrupt the deal between the two posters who had already agreed a sale, and indeed the seller posted after your own post a series of questionmarks indicating confusion over the intention of your post. The Mod then issued the infraction, entirely in line with the charter, for thread spoiling

However it is also clear to me, but only based on your subsequent posts, that you had intended your post to be a question rather than a statement. That was certainly not clear though when the mod issued the card.

If things had ended there I may have had some sympathy for your situation. You had made an error in not making it clear (and a simple quetionmark following the "sold" may well have sufficed) that you were asking a question rather than making a statement

Unfortunately though you decided to question the mod's actions in-thread. The mod has since deleted that post but within it you stated
    I was innocently enquiring if it had been sold yet as I was about to make an offer on it if not...

it's a for sale ad..how could asking if it's sold be thread spoiling?
    Now you should understand that questioning mod actions in-thread is not permitted across the site. You should have taken it to PM, and your post breached site rules as well as compounding the original issue by being a further example of thread spoiling. It was "a comment on someones ad that is not an offer or a question relevant to the thread". It was a question relevant to forum moderation, but not to the underlying product

In the circumstances I am seeing little reason to overturn the mod's actions here. As already mentioned if you had left it at the "sold" comment I may have had more sympathy but your decision to question the mod's actions in-thread was a second breach of rules.

Do you have any further comments before I finalise my decision here?

• Advertisement

i was asking the seller if it was sold?
    im actually looking to buy it if possible.
    im not spoiling his thread i see enough of that messing on adverts.ie daily , to know not sink to that level.

my question was genuinely asking the seller if he had sold it yet and i was going to take it from there with him either way :)

could not be further from the examples of thread spoiling listed:

Comments such as these are all thread spoiling.:
    "Oooh, that's a nice <item>, I wish I could afford it"
    "Heh, you can get it cheaper from <wherever>"
    "Happy birthday"
    "I have the same one for sale, check out my a

light years apart imho,
    thanks david

You made a statement, you did not ask a question. I appreciate, as I have already indicated, that I think this was probably a genuine error on your part. If it had ended there, again as already indicated, I would have had some sympathy for your mistake. However it did not end there. You made comments about modding which also consituted further thread spoiling

Your comments have certainly not added anything to the process so far as I am concerned, and I am therefore upholding the card

You may ask an Admin to review my decision is you wish

thanks anyway -:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement