Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well then, atleti fans seem happy to see torres back

https://twitter.com/atletienglish/status/551724656236167168

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They are probably expecting the Calderón roar to flick a switch in Torres head, if so they are going to be disappointed I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not a headline grabber but schwarzer has moved to leicester from chelsea apparently, I'm not exactly sure if he expected game time when he initially moved there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

klose wrote: »
    Not a headline grabber but schwarzer has moved to leicester from chelsea apparently, I'm not exactly sure if he expected game time when he initially moved there?

Where?
    Chelsea = good pay, possible coaching role (he joined them at what 40? when Cech was comfortably the #1.
    Leicester = replace Hamer and possibly keep out Schmeichel as they try to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Could people at least post the basis for the Twitter links, for those of us where Twitter is blocked?

Thanks!

For Pool, we need a keeper, Origi in early and a fit Sturridge!

Dickerty wrote: »
    Could people at least post the basis for the Twitter links, for those of us where Twitter is blocked?

Thanks!

For Pool, we need a keeper, Origi in early and a fit Sturridge!

"Liverpool offer Shaqiri €3.5m a year but need to do deal quickly". Quote from the tweet I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

zerks wrote: »
    "Liverpool offer Shaqiri €3.5m a year but need to do deal quickly". Quote from the tweet I posted.

Merci buckets!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/TransferNewsCen/status/552389111269847040
    Chelsea boss Mourinho has accepted departure of Petr Cech. Negotiations with AS Roma. Deal could be done in next days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Messi is now following Chelsea, Courtois and Felipe Luis on Instagram...deal done definitely. Na seriously though didn't Di Maria do something similar with United and a few of their players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats a load of balls anyway, with Schwarzer gone it leaves us with no senior back up keeper.

Messi is now following Chelsea, Courtois and Felipe Luis on Instagram...deal done definitely. Na seriously though didn't Di Maria do something similar with United and a few of their players?

I reckon its all for attention from Messi and to push Barca into a corner.

No team can afford Messi under FFP, IMO.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Yeah I highly doubt he'll leave either, especially in January. But I fully expect real bids from Chelsea, City and Bayern in the summer if Barca's season doesn;t do too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Ah FFP is a joke and both Barca and City have proved that. If the Russian wants Messi he could go get him.

Chelsea seem to have a really think squad outside the core 15 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's a message to the board of Barcelona. Along with his failure to show up at the open training session yesterday it is a declaration of warfare. He's suffered for far too long, now he wants to be heard.

Yeah I highly doubt he'll leave either, especially in January. But I fully expect real bids from Chelsea, City and Bayern in the summer if Barca's season doesn;t do too well.

There are clubs who, with the right support, could put together a package that would be enough financially to get him. I don't believe Chelsea are one of those clubs.

That being said his intention is, and always has been, to be a Barcelona player. Zubizarreta is already gone, Enrique's position is almost untenable and after that the board must go. All of this should ensure his future at Barcelona.

Not a hope in January, things could well change come the summer though.

It would be insane money with a transfer and wages over 5 years, it could easily cost a club about half a billion.

There are clubs who, with the right support, could put together a package that would be enough financially to get him. I don't believe Chelsea are one of those clubs.

That being said his intention is, and always has been, to be a Barcelona player. Zubizarreta is already gone, Enrique's position is almost untenable and after that the board must go. All of this should ensure his future at Barcelona.

Simple, get Turkish Airlines and Adidas to pay for Messi on behalf of Chelsea ;)

Not a hope in January, things could well change come the summer though.

It would be insane money with a transfer and wages over 5 years, it could easily cost a club about half a billion.

I think I recall reading somewhere that if Messi was to leave that realistically it could only be to a club who have Adidas as their manufacturer as Adidas would sponsor a good chunk of the fee as Messi's jersey sales etc. would pay it back.

• Advertisement

Simple, get Turkish Airlines and Adidas to pay for Messi on behalf of Chelsea ;)

Haha yes but even with Adidas involvement I can't imagine it being enough. Though with Turkish airlines on board, who knows?

I think I recall reading somewhere that if Messi was to leave that realistically it could only be to a club who have Adidas as their manufacturer as Adidas would sponsor a good chunk of the fee as Messi's jersey sales etc. would pay it back.

We've also got Turkish airlines coming on board (no pun) although its all a load of waffle, I cant see either them or Adidas stumping up cash for Messi.

Adidas sponsorship and the teams they support would probably leave Chelsea 3rd, in terms of commericial revenue, although I'm purely guessing.

Real, Bayern, Chelsea.
    Haha yes but even with Adidas involvement I can't imagine it being enough. Though with Turkish airlines on board, who knows?

Adidas are worth about 20Billion.

Turkish Airlines are worth about 4Billion.

While it would be a drop in the ocean if they wanted to sponsor the deal, I'd imagine theyed want a rake % of Messis lucrative image rights which AFAIK he owns 100% of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Messi is going nowhere. All he is doing is posturing to secure a better deal for himself. Ronaldo was at the same carry on until Real caved into his demands.

Messi is going nowhere. All he is doing is posturing to secure a better deal for himself. Ronaldo was at the same carry on until Real caved into his demands.

Usually it's about contracts and money, this time it is not.

Thats a load of balls anyway, with Schwarzer gone it leaves us with no senior back up keeper.

Isn't Jose looking at Jason Steele from Blackburn? If he joins then Cech will leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Can't see Messi leaving Barcelona.

But would love to see him in the Premier League on a wet January night up in Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dayum wrote: »
    Can't see Messi leaving Barcelona.

But would love to see him in the Premier League on a wet January night up in Stoke.
    Could you imagine the media (well the gutter media, the LADbible and the likes) hype of the Stoke away game if he moved to Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

lads barca can't buy or sell anyone remember... breathe out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its just inbound transfers they are banned from I'm pretty sure.

They can, and will, sell players.

• Advertisement

Isn't Jose looking at Jason Steele from Blackburn? If he joins then Cech will leave.

He was Turnbulls under study at 'Boro, the only way that transfer makes sense is that hes a HG player and will fill up the 4 minimum needed, otherwise its a poor call.

They can sell its incoming transfers they're banned from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

my bad ,apologies

my bad ,apologies

theyre still not going to sell Messi now or in the summer, its all smoke and mirrors from Messi.

does he want more money or Enrique out, probably the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Steele only signed for Blackburn permanently on New Years Eve. He had been on loan previous to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Messi's jersey sales etc. would pay it back.

No they wouldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources - Manchester City are in advanced talks to sign Wilfried Bony from Swansea. More on #SSNHQ

£30 million the fee.

Wow didn't see that one coming. Did aguero of dzeko have a set back in their injuries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

You're in for it now, Bony.

Deserved move for him, been great the last couple of seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

30m! Christ Almighty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He's away for the AFCON with the Ivory Coast isn't he? By the time he gets back City will have all their strikers fit again and he'll struggle to start.

Could well pick up an injury over there too.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

theyre still not going to sell Messi now or in the summer, its all smoke and mirrors from Messi.

does he want more money or Enrique out, probably the latter.

The latter.

They apparently had a bust up in training on Friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wonder will they get rid of negredo now in the summer?

I wonder will they get rid of negredo now in the summer?
    I was under the impression that that is a compulsory transfer. ie. even Valencia don't have a choice to go back on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CSF wrote: »
    I was under the impression that that is a compulsory transfer. ie. even Valencia don't have a choice to go back on it.

You right ,from wiki
    On 1 September 2014 Negredo signed a loan deal with an obligatory purchase clause with Valencia, which required the club to purchase his rights at the end of the campaign, for an amount believed to be around €27 million.

30m for Bony is a tad excessive IMO but when City go in for players there is always an extra few million tacked on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

klose wrote: »
    Wow didn't see that one coming. Did aguero of dzeko have a set back in their injuries?
    Don't think so. I'd say Dzeko's days are probably numbered. He did fantastic when he stepped in at the business end of last season, when Kun was injured. But he's a hit and miss type of player. When he's on form, he's an excellent fron t man. But when he's off form, he traps the ball further than I can kick it! And he does seem to be a "confidence" player, and he does let the head drop at times. Also, he thrives on crosses (witness his time at Wolfsburg) and we don't really play that sort of game. If (when?) he does go, I wish him all the best.

30m for Bony is a tad excessive IMO but when City go in for players there is always an extra few million tacked on.
    Very unnecessary signing nonetheless.

The big plus, from a very selfish POV is Ivory Coasts last game in the group stage is the 28th January, City play Chelsea away on the 31st January.

So chances of Yaya and Bony both missin the game is pretty high IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »
    Very unnecessary signing nonetheless.

OTT but they don't want to be left strikerless again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A certain part of me looses a lot of respect for Messi with his mightier than thou attitude.

As a number of people have said here he doesn't actually want to leave, and it's not about money ( he gets a bumper contract nearly every other year) but a lot of commentary is how he wants the manager replaced.

Read a really good read about Messi and his influence at the club, I'd be embarrassed being associated with that club seeing the antics that go on to appease him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement