Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

GavRedKing wrote: »
    30m for Bony is a tad excessive IMO but when City go in for players there is always an extra few million tacked on.
    Very true. You had (have?) the same thing at Chelsea. When the likes of City and Chelsea show interest in a player, the £ signs start flashing at the selling club. It's unfortunate, but not a lot City can do about that, short of telling the selling club to take a hike. But it "sems" that we're keen to get Bony in. I guess the selling club will always want to maximise the value of their asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

TheDoc wrote: »
    A certain part of me looses a lot of respect for Messi with his mightier than thou attitude.

As a number of people have said here he doesn't actually want to leave, and it's not about money ( he gets a bumper contract nearly every other year) but a lot of commentary is how he wants the manager replaced.

Read a really good read about Messi and his influence at the club, I'd be embarrassed being associated with that club seeing the antics that go on to appease him.

Sure the whole club is geared around him. Thats obvious from just watching them play and there transfers. Messi is the president he gets what he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sure the whole club is geared around him. Thats obvious from just watching them play and there transfers. Messi is the president he gets what he wants

Sure God only knows what his ego was like if he was as good as Ronaldo!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

blueser wrote: »
    Very true. You had (have?) the same thing at Chelsea. When the likes of City and Chelsea show interest in a player, the £ signs start flashing at the selling club. It's unfortunate, but not a lot City can do about that, short of telling the selling club to take a hike. But it "sems" that we're keen to get Bony in. I guess the selling club will always want to maximise the value of their asset.

Oh ya, the clubs with more money or clubs that have just had a good transfer window regarding sales, will get bent over a barrel, thats not going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jovetic on his way back to Italy with Bony coming in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

CSF wrote: »
    Sure God only knows what his ego was like if he was as good as Ronaldo!!!

or Cruyff! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

TheDoc wrote: »
    A certain part of me looses a lot of respect for Messi with his mightier than thou attitude.

He's turned into a right odious little sod hasn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think bony is a brilliant signing for city. As said above, dzeko is probably on the way out, negrado is gone and they have been very reliant on Aguero this season so I wouldnt say a new striker is unnecessary.

Bony has been brilliant since joining Swansea and 30 million might sound a lot but it's still cheaper than lukakku, herrera and lallanna for a proven premier league goalscorer. I think it's probably between bony and benteke for best striker outside the top 4/5 and only a matter of time before they are both in the champions league.

Could be the signing that wins the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

COYVB wrote: »

Off the field maybe.
    He's still the best on it by a long chalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Madness from City to Shell out £30m on Bony. Is he that much better/different to Dzeko, who himself isn't a guaranteed starter when everyone is fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

It's a myth. A fake. A false narrative that has been purported by the Madrid based media in a vicious, very long campaign to muddy the name of Messi. It is a fairytale that has not been discredited but rather embellished by the Barcelona based media. Rosell and co. have been manipulating this for years, they hope to convince cules and the world that they are in the right, that Messi is too powerful or that Messi is trying to engineer a way out of the club. The opposite is true, they've been trying to get rid of him while maintaining public opinion for ages. Clearly their manipulations have been mildly successful. The amount I see opinions to this effect is heartbreaking.

It's a myth. A fake. A false narrative that has been purported by the Madrid based media in a vicious, very long campaign to muddy the name of Messi. It is a fairytale that has not been discredited but rather embellished by the Barcelona based media. Rosell and co. have been manipulating this for years, they hope to convince cules and the world that they are in the right, that Messi is too powerful or that Messi is trying to engineer a way out of the club. The opposite is true, they've been trying to get rid of him while maintaining public opinion for ages. Clearly their manipulations have been mildly successful. The amount I see opinions to this effect is heartbreaking.

I reckon he might be tied in operation Yewtree!

I reckon he might be tied in operation Yewtree!

There's no telling what lies this board won't tell or to what depths they won't sink to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

There's no telling what lies this board won't tell or to what depths they won't sink to.

Barca are trying to get rid of Messi?

ronjo wrote: »
    Barca are trying to get rid of Messi?

Rosell tried for ages. Of course you can't just sell Messi, the public outcry would have brought down the board. So they set about systematically destroying his reputation, they made it seem as though it was Messi trying to get out rather than Rosell wanting him out. This is the same president who also wanted rid of Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Plenty about this non-Messi transfer in other threads.

Villa linked to Scott Sinclair, would be an ok signing I guess. An alternative to N'Zogbia anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I don't support Chelsea, but I would love to see Messi play in the Premier League now while he's considered no.2 in the world behind Ronaldo... by some... and vice verca for others. We've seen Ronaldo in both leagues, Messi playing in the PL would provide us with the similar comparisons needed that would end the Messi-Ronaldo debate once and for all, not really though :D

What I don't want is for him to arrive when he's beginning to decline and getting that bit older and closer to the end of his career.

If you're coming Lionel, come now. Otherwise, go about your business elsewhere. Don't leave it 5 years too late like Mayweather and Pacquiao. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why would Barca want to sell Messi though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Corholio wrote: »

Villa linked to Scott Sinclair, would be an ok signing I guess. An alternative to N'Zogbia anyway

He didn't do much at WBA, so I wouldn't have too much hope for him to make any sort of impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

tastyt wrote: »
    I think it's probably between bony and benteke for best striker outside the top 4/5 and only a matter of time before they are both in the champions league.

Yeah it might be the season after next when Villa make the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

From hearing/ listening to various football podcasts ( usually BBC) i was shocked bony ended up at sawnsea
    And cheaply if i remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

cjmc wrote: »
    From hearing/ listening to various football podcasts ( usually BBC) i was shocked bony ended up at sawnsea
    And cheaply if i remember

12 mill was welsh record. Nice profit if they get 30 for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Leicester City beat Chelsea to the signing of Andrej Kramaric after agreeing a club-record fee of £9.7 million last night.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4315991.ece

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Leicester City beat Chelsea to the signing of Andrej Kramaric after agreeing a club-record fee of £9.7 million last night.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4315991.ece

Kind of annoyed by that if we do lose out, as the plan was to loan him to Leicester but under EPL rules a player cant be bought and loaned to another EPL team in the same window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kind of annoyed by that if we do lose out, as the plan was to loan him to Leicester but under EPL rules a player cant be bought and loaned to another EPL team in the same window.

How many loanees do Chelsea have distributed round Europe at the moment? There probably should be a limit as it's getting ridiculous

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    How many loanees do Chelsea have distributed round Europe at the moment? There probably should be a limit as it's getting ridiculous

An educated guess is I think 23 on loan.

Although another youngster went on loan to Swindon recently and Kalas is coming back from Germany, possibily to go to 'Boro.

I'd have to check the clubs website but its in around that figure.

Most are out on loan to be sold, 90% of them wont see 1st team football, I'm all for it anyway, gives the club a good revenue stream and the players get game time elsewhere and possibily a good career out of it in the future, if they make the grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

25 according to the official website http://www.chelseafc.com/teams/on-loan-players.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

An educated guess is I think 23 on loan.

Although another youngster went on loan to Swindon recently and Kalas is coming back from Germany, possibily to go to 'Boro.

I'd have to check the clubs website but its in around that figure.

Most are out on loan to be sold, 90% of them wont see 1st team football, I'm all for it anyway, gives the club a good revenue stream and the players get game time elsewhere and possibily a good career out of it in the future, if they make the grade.

It seems that Chelsea are a footballers agency as well as a football club. Not sure I'm comfortable with that

It seems that Chelsea are a footballers agency as well as a football club. Not sure I'm comfortable with that

Its one of the ways we're generating profit to stay with in FFP, buy relatively cheap, loan out and if the guy does well sell on for a profit.

Doesnt always work out though, Gael Kakuta being a noteable failure regarding this structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ya all the stories are bull. Speaking of narratives it seems that you are just following the one you want with no reason other than wishful thinking. He is demonstrably hard to deal with. The coke issue, strops being thrown at being taken off, agitating to get managers removed. Failure to be able to work with other top level attackers who have performed before and after their stint with the little ego.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its what Liverpool and others need to follow as a model if the truth be told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kind of annoyed by that if we do lose out, as the plan was to loan him to Leicester but under EPL rule a player cat be bought and loaned to another EPL team in the same window.

He probably has a cheap relegation buy out clause and he'll more than likely end up with Chelsea or a big club if he's any good. Smart move. On the other hand, any young up and coming player would be stupid to move to Chelsea, look at salah and the Brazilian guy, both players could have moved to Liverpool and be starters, instead they're lucky to make the Chelsea bench most weeks.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    He probably has a cheap relegation buy out clause and he'll more than likely end up with Chelsea or a big club if he's any good. Smart move. On the other hand, any young up and coming player would be stupid to move to Chelsea, look at salah and the Brazilian guy, both players could have moved to Liverpool and be starters, instead they're lucky to make the Chelsea bench most weeks.

Salah picked money I'm willing to bet but must have also backed himself to be playing some football, in truht hes not good enough for us, maybe he'd do a job for Liverpool, not sure TBH.

Brazilian? Which one are you on about? :confused:

Willian is a starter every week
    Ramires is coming back off an injury and illness
    Luis isn playing because Azp is a better FB

I've no doubt if he does do ok their and they go down he'll be moved on, maybe for a small profit too, hes also not that young per-se, not at 23 anyway, hes got a good record so it'll be interesting to see if it works out for him in England.

Ya all the stories are bull. Speaking of narratives it seems that you are just following the one you want with no reason other than wishful thinking. He is demonstrably hard to deal with. The coke issue, strops being thrown at being taken off, agitating to get managers removed. Failure to be able to work with other top level attackers who have performed before and after their stint with the little ego.

No, I just happen to know the truth, a great and terrible power all at the same time.

He likes to play football, he's the best at it, so let him play football. He's never "agitated" to have a manager removed, he's had disagreements but there has been no scheming or plotting. This board are poisonous, their manager Enrique is inept, Messi has had enough, he's been driven to war. A myth, Villa said after leaving the club that Messi is one of the best teammates he ever had, Ibrahimovic echoed that and calls Messi the greatest, ask Ronaldinho, Henry, Pedro, Aguero or any top level attacker whose played with him just how great a teammate Messi is, the answer will be unequivocal.

Tbf Chelseas policy is to blame for McEachran failing.

Altho can't blame Chelsea. Snap up any youngster with potential and keep whoring them out. Delac has no hope of playing for Chelsea but keep farming him out till hes at most valuble then ship him off.....Wallace, Chalobah, Delac, Hazard, Piazon, Omeruo.....highly unlikely they'll ever appear in the first team but they can be sold at profit so wahey. Its a system that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Altho can't blame Chelsea. Snap up any youngster with potential and keep whoring them out. Delac has no hope of playing for Chelsea but keep farming him out till hes at most valuble then ship him off.....Wallace, Chalobah, Delac, Hazard, Piazon, Omeruo.....highly unlikely they'll ever appear in the first team but they can be sold at profit so wahey. Its a system that works.

Hazard ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Rikand wrote: »
    Hazard ? ;)

Hazard junior i'm sure he means.

Rikand wrote: »
    Hazard ? ;)

Thorgon obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Martin Odegaard to Real Madrid. Hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle there but there's been so much talk about him it'll be exciting to watch him develop.

• Advertisement

No, I just happen to know the truth, a great and terrible power all at the same time.

He likes to play football, he's the best at it, so let him play football. He's never "agitated" to have a manager removed, he's had disagreements but there has been no scheming or plotting. This board are poisonous, their manager Enrique is inept, Messi has had enough, he's been driven to war. A myth, Villa said after leaving the club that Messi is one of the best teammates he ever had, Ibrahimovic echoed that and calls Messi the greatest, ask Ronaldinho, Henry, Pedro, Aguero or any top level attacker whose played with him just how great a teammate Messi is, the answer will be unequivocal.

I'm curious the way you say you know the truth, and speak like you've actually spoken to the players you mention. Are you basing everything on hearsay like everyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm curious the way you say you know the truth, and speak like you've actually spoken to the players you mention. Are you basing everything on hearsay like everyone else?

I wonder too had they got the win against Sociedad that would have put them top, would AIG be constantly referring to Enrique as inept. I'm sure the thesaurus would be out proclaiming his greatness

It's simply a combination of following Barcelona in depth each day rather than randomly jumping on a story like "Messi missed training" this gives me context to place everything into. The second thing is I follow the right journalists.

I wonder too had they got the win against Sociedad that would have put them top, would AIG be constantly referring to Enrique as inept. I'm sure the thesaurus would be out proclaiming his greatness

As I said, Barcelona could have a management team of Tony Pulis and Neil Warnock and I'd support the club totally. That's how I am. However enough was enough, for Messi and for a lot of fans.

As I said, Barcelona could have a management team of Tony Pulis and Neil Warnock and I'd support the club totally. That's how I am. However enough was enough, for Messi and for a lot of fans.

Strange....this is your post recently.
    If this board somehow managed to lose Messi to Mourinho and Chelsea of all teams then we may as well start writing the obituaries now

Yet you'd still support the club in the above circumstance with a team of Warnooc and Pulis :pac:

Strange....this is your post recently.

Yet you'd still support the club in the above circumstance with a team of Warnooc and Pulis :pac:

Haha what I meant there was that given the fierce rivalry between the two clubs and the tension that exists between Mourinho and Barcelona (and most of their players) losing Lionel Messi to Chelsea and Mourinho would be unthinkable.

It wont happen anyway, but the Barcelona board proved by selling Thiago, Sanchez and Cesc in recent times, theyve no idea what theyre doing.

Again, I cant see Messi ever leaving Barcelona but his little petulant side is comical to see, no one player is bigger than the club but apparently not in Messi and Barcas case.

Maybe it is he who is "Més Que Un Club"

It's simply a combination of following Barcelona in depth each day rather than randomly jumping on a story like "Messi missed training" this gives me context to place everything into. The second thing is I follow the right journalists.

So hearsay and the journalists that agree with your viewpoint. Cheers for clearing that up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

There are no right journalists, to be fair. Clubs rarely (if at all) feed anything to an outsiders unless the club want it to reach the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Chelsea are just smart. No point hating clubs that are brilliant in the transfer market. Arsenal and Liverpool should aspire to their standards imo.

Advertisement