Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January transfer window thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

theballz wrote: »
    City speaking to Bayern about Muller seemingly.

I can imagine the conversation.

City : Hello, we'd like to speak to you about Muller.
    Bayern : Yes?
    City : How much do ya want for him.
    Bayern : Hahahahaha........seriously?

Its a tabloid fabrication/click bait I'd be willing to bet.

zerks wrote: »
    Bony will be the limit of City's buying due to FFP.They may offload players to balance the books and that's looking unlikely (at least players who'd command fees to balance the spending out)

Negredos gone in the summer for €28Million, goes someway to offsetting the loss.

Sinclair will be sold in the summer probably for a couple of million. Nastasic is reported to be going too.

Milner and Richards are out of contract in the summer thats probably the bones of 150/175K, a week saved between them if they go.

They'll make it work, or they could just sell Aguero to Real Madrid. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Negredos gone in the summer for €28Million, goes someway to offsetting the loss.

Sinclair will be sold in the summer probably for a couple of million. Nastasic is reported to be going too.

Milner and Richards are out of contract in the summer thats probably the bones of 150/175K, a week saved between them if they go.

They'll make it work, or they could just sell Aguero to Real Madrid. :pac:

ATM, £30 million is the ceiling for them.In this window anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

theballz wrote: »
    City speaking to Bayern about Muller seemingly.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Eto'o to sampdoria looking like a done deal. He obviously didn't enjoy playing on the left wing...

https://twitter.com/fourfourtweet/status/554026081087655937

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Gavlor wrote: »
    Eto'o to sampdoria looking like a done deal. He obviously didn't enjoy playing on the left wing...

https://twitter.com/fourfourtweet/status/554026081087655937

That's a strange one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That's a strange one

True. Look at all the experience he has between all the teams he's played for and what he's won. Great player. Seems like he's been around forever and yet he's still only 18. Silly of Everton to let him go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

18??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

emmetlego wrote: »
    18??

Yes, Eto'o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DVDM93 wrote: »
    True. Look at all the experience he has between all the teams he's played for and what he's won. Great player. Seems like he's been around forever and yet he's still only 18. Silly of Everton to let him go imo.
    18............years older than a 15 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I like ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Looks like Suso is off to Milan in the summer on a free....pity he never got much of a look in the last few years.
    Milan being linked to Destro on loan with option to buy too and Juve with Balotelli but the latter must be wishful thinking....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

fee agreed for Bony to city, ~£30m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

batistuta9 wrote: »
    fee agreed for Bony to city, ~£30m

BBC report £25M +3M in add ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Carles Gil to Villa from Valencia. Around 4 million I believe.

Hard to know what he'll be like in the premiership. Struggled to get many chances in the Valencia team this year; he was decent when he got a chance though. Fede is on loan at Cordoba and he looks the better home-grown prospect for Valencia on the wing going forward, so probably the right move for him to leave.

Could be a shrewd signing for Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kevin Foley to FC Copenhagen of all places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kevin Foley to FC Copenhagen of all places.

I'd forgotten about Foley tbh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Joins up with former wolves manager Ståle Solbakken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

sugarman wrote: »
    Great move to be fair, a chance to go and win something and play in Europe every season.

I honestly dont understand why more Irish dont look further a field than England/Scotland.

Id personally rather be in a top division in Europe in the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Belgium etc.. with a team that has a chance of winning a title/cup and a solid run in Europe any day over having to settle/spend most of your career in the doldrums of Championship/League One/Two.

Hope he does well.

Surely nicer to live up in the likes of Copenhagen than some of the provincial town shitholes in the lower leagues.

https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/554979664327086080

"Liverpool's Moroccan winger Oussama Assaidi has joined Al Ahli Club in Dubai"

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/554924378329464833

Sanogo to Palace on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great move to be fair, a chance to go and win something and play in Europe every season.

I honestly dont understand why more Irish dont look further a field than England/Scotland.

Id personally rather be in a top division in Europe in the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Belgium etc.. with a team that has a chance of winning a title/cup and a solid run in Europe any day over having to settle/spend most of your career in the doldrums of Championship/League One/Two.

Hope he does well.

I presume its the language barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

rob316 wrote: »
    I presume its the language barrier

Also, clubs in England, even at lower level, can pay more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jermaine Defoe to Sunderland in a swap deal with Jozy Altidore who is heading to Toronto is widely reported to be done and dusted today or tomorrow.

Reported wages of £70,000 a week on a 3.5 year deal (totaling almost £13m in wages) would appear consistent with the reported £14m deal.

I'd have 2 concerns with this - 1) his age plus injury issues in Toronto and 2) how he will fit in if Poyet doesn't transition from his favoured, and seemingly only system. Defoe has always played better with support up front, and we do not create enough chances for any striker to have a fighting chance at present.

While it looks a big-money deal, that wouldn't concern me too much as it will be "only" an extra £20,000-£25,000 on what Altidore was being payed anyway.

What does everyone think? A desperate move destined for disaster, or one which will provide Sunderland the goals to survive? Maybe something in between?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,653 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Really? Any of the of the 3 places iv named speak 90℅ better English than here!

And better looking women !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Paully D wrote: »
    Jermaine Defoe to Sunderland in a swap deal with Jozy Altidore who is heading to Toronto is widely reported to be done and dusted today or tomorrow.

Reported wages of £70,000 a week on a 3.5 year deal (totaling almost £13m in wages) would appear consistent with the reported £14m deal.

I'd have 2 concerns with this - 1) his age plus injury issues in Toronto and 2) how he will fit in if Poyet doesn't transition from his favoured, and seemingly only system. Defoe has always played better with support up front, and we do not create enough chances for any striker to have a fighting chance at present.

While it looks a big-money deal, that wouldn't concern me too much as it will be "only" an extra £20,000-£25,000 on what Altidore was being payed anyway.

What does everyone think? A desperate move destined for disaster, or one which will provide Sunderland the goals to survive? Maybe something in between?

Where ever he plays he gets goal. As a player overall I think he's average but a brilliant goalscorer and thats what ye need. Shipping out altidore and getting Defoe in for 20k extra a week is brilliant business.

Get Adam Johnson behind him.

I reckon if he hits the ground running ye'll be clear of relegation with a few games to spare, will be interesting to see how it turns out though.

Instantly a huge upgrade on a guy like Altidore who isnt likely to get ya the goals that Defoe can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

You are absoultely right in that he will need a striker beside him. Just someone to feed him. How is Wickham as a hold-up player? Seems to have the attributes, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

population wrote: »
    You are absoultely right in that he will need a striker beside him. Just someone to feed him. How is Wickham as a hold-up player? Seems to have the attributes, no?

He has the attributes, but he doesn't apply them very well.

Very interesting to see if Poyet does go 2 up front, if he does Fletcher would be my preferred partner for Defoe if he does indeed sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'd agree with you in not being concerned about the money, and I'm assuming you'd not be concerned with losing Altidore either. Defoe is a goalscorer and will score goals. Good experience too so would hopefully be good around the dressing room and give a boost to the squad. I'd be happy with it in Sunderland's position.
    Gavlor wrote: »

I think he'd be a good signing but very unlikely I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

He's an improvement on Altidore no doubt but who isn't?! The financial side of it and the length of contract is bonkers but if he keeps ye up its already paid off.
    I just think that a lot of that 3.5 years will be spent injured or on the bench as he declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

JPA wrote: »
    He's an improvement on Altidore no doubt but who isn't?! The financial side of it and the length of contract is bonkers but if he keeps ye up its already paid off.
    I just think that a lot of that 3.5 years will be spent injured or on the bench as he declines.

Agree with this. A 3 and a half year deal seems mental. he will be 35 or so when it comes to an end and unlikely to still be having an impact on the premiership. He may score goals this season to keep them, in the league but in a year or two he will be out of the team and sitting on massive wages.

i think their has to be better alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Defoe has some strike on a ball in fairness he can score goals from nowhere. He will pop up with a few goals out of nothing which could be crucial in tight games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Defoe has 124 Premier League goals in 381 games.
    Altidore has 2 Premier League goals in 68 games.

I know which one I'd want in my team. Seems like a good move for Sunderland, would think Defoe has another couple of years left in him at the top level.
    Anything is better than Altidore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Alan from RB Salzburg to........ Guangzhou Evergrande.
    11 million.

Second big player RB loses after Kampl joined Dortmund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The worry with Defoe is that he only has 1 goal in his last 14 PL appearances, although he might have been a sub a lot of the time.

He might get a new lease of life at Sunderland and bang in 6 or 7 between now and the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

inforfun wrote: »
    Alan from RB Salzburg to........ Guangzhou Evergrande.
    11 million.

Second big player RB loses after Kampl joined Dortmund.

Christ I'd have thought Alan would be of strong interest to any decent midtable side in a big league. China - seems like such a waste!

Wonder how long they'll keep Jonathan Soriano for? Even at 29 I'd have him as a third choice striker at Liverpool rather than Borini, Lambert etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Christ I'd have thought Alan would be of strong interest to any decent midtable side in a big league. China - seems like such a waste!

Wonder how long they'll keep Jonathan Soriano for? Even at 29 I'd have him as a third choice striker at Liverpool rather than Borini, Lambert etc!

11 Million for a top scorer from Austria is a lot of money. Marco Janko scored more and never got further than Twente and a tiny spell at Porto.
    Plus you can be sure the Chinese pay him an insane salary.

I also think RB is a great team but i am not so convinced about the individuals if you know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

11 million may be a lot for an Austrian league player but its Championship transfer money these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Such a waste, I hate the Chinese league it ruins players. Lucas Barrios might be minted but man did his career go Downhill after he went there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I would be surprised if he went this transfer window. Salzburg had already signed a replacement for Alan in Djuricin from Sturm Graz so they must have expected one of them to leave. Only surprise is that it is not RB Leipzig(who signed Omer Damari from Austria Wien) that he has gone to.

Also Andre Ramalho is leaving Salzburg to join Leverkusen in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Have always been a fan of Defoe. Even with Sunderland's lack of creativity I think he'll be enough of an improvement to keep them up. Altidore just wasn't able for the premier league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sebastian Giovinco set for switch from Juventus to MLS side Toronto FC

http://gu.com/p/45xtb

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

WTF?

590_1359413432_cdde45305f8c2a6488d959fccd5f859b.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

WTF?

They confirmed there a while ago, he will join in the summer. Must be one helluva deal he's getting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,536 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

$7m a year, apparently more than kaka, making him then highest paid player in the mls.

Another young lad signed by Chelsea & sent on loan.

https://twitter.com/AcaStop/status/557281147030622208

• Advertisement
Advertisement