Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wren Boys? Don't make me laugh!

• 26-12-2014 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Mams and dads. Plonking Santa hats on your kids , driving them around the estates , having them ring doorbells to mumble two lines of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer , before they stick s bucket under the householders nose, while you sit smoking in the car is nit following the Wren. Its.sending your kids out to beg. At Chistmas. Please stop.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Are they not supposed to be singing
    The wren, the wren, the king of all birds,
    St. Stephen's Day was caught in the furze,
    Although he was little his honour was great,
    Jump up me lads and give him a treat.

Up with the kettle and down with the pan,
    And give us a penny to bury the wren.

If it's done properly, it's a great tradition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

country forum is. . .oh. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Rent boys calling around your house looking for money is disgraceful...oh wait I misread the thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Jawgap wrote: »

They're supposed to be dressed in costume, playing traditional music and holding aloft an effigy of a dead Wren. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is this some bog thing? Us civilised city folk buy our presents for next year today dont u know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

We used to say

The wren, the wren the king of all birds
    St Stehpen's day was caught in the furze
    Up with the kettle and down with the pan
    Will you give me a penny to bury the wren?
    If you haven't a penny a hay penny will do
    If you haven't a hay penny, God bless you
    I chased the wren from rock to rock
    I chased him into a public shop
    I dipped his nose in a bottle of beer
    And I wish you all a Happy New Year.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    They're supposed to be dressed in costume, playing traditional music and holding aloft an effigy of a dead Wren. It's pathetic.

Well, at least it's a bit of local colour / tradition (if done properly) - better than the whole Americanisation of the mid-winter we're increasingly having to endure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Didn't see any today. Just a bit of road hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Just had a scrote wearing a Halloween mask mumbling at the door. Probably scoping the place for the next break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Had 3 boys come to our house earlier and mutter the rhyme so fast that it was impossible to make out the words! We usually get a few like this every year. I would much prefer if they played/sang something properly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

We did the costumes and trad music. No dead wren though. :-/

Have to agree though, the standard was shocking today, awful.

Didn't see any today.

But last year at the in-laws was great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The bird who could fly to the highest altitude would be made king. The eagle outflew all other birds, but he was beaten by a small bird (wren) who had hidden in his plumage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I grew up in South Tipp. It was - and probably still is - a good tradition but it was mainly confined to pubs. The musicians would call to the pubs and provide music and song for 10-15 mins and then move on. Most of the singers were very talented and welcomed in the pubs. It was a great part of the pub atmosphere on the day. Never saw kids calling to houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Brazilian footballer Garrincha earned his nickname from one of the names the house wren has in Rio de Janeiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Aw I used to love going every year with my cousins. Played the tin whistle or sang. It was always great craic and the sweets and money that came with it :p

Never see it in Dublin. Had a few carolers a few weeks ago but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

diomed wrote: »
    Brazilian footballer Garrincha earned his nickname from one of the names the house wren has in Rio de Janeiro.

Off topic but Garrincha lost his virginity to a goat. Anyway carry on folks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

There are still proper Wren boys but the last few years we've got car loads of kids still in they're jammies being dropped in the estate by their parents while they walk around the doors trying to beg the price of the cinema and a Supermacs. Brassknecked chavitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

All the kids went on the wren when I was a boy in North Longford. None to be seen these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

What the **** is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I fckin hate this stupid tradition nowadays. The kids can never play anything and are just begging for money. This year we closed our gates and I thought we'd escaped them but then we had visitors calling in the afternoon and while they were pulling into the driveway two wrens arrived a couple of minutes later, God damn it! :pac:

It used to be so different years ago. They'd be proper wren boys (all dressed up and have a variety of instruments from tin whistles to accordions to spoons etc) - we'd be having the dinner and they'd be invited into the kitchen to play for the whole family, they'd do a few songs and it was great. Of course that was then, times are a lot different now. Now I just give them all the side eye and wonder if they are actually just eyeing up the house, I'm a lot more cynical these days :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hold on, you mean there's a tradition that allows you to send your kids around doors collecting money?

Be right back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

All I ever observed in pubs on the 26th was traveller kids with blackened faces and rattling off the rhyme in 5 seconds flat and then the hand was thrust out for money. They never got a bob from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

anncoates wrote: »
    Hold on, you mean there's a tradition that allows you to send your kids around doors collecting money?

Be right back

Not if you're in Dublin, unfortunately!!! You'll have to move to the country :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

As far as I know most of them do dress up and do play music. It's more like busking now and they go around to pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

a kettle of boiling water sorts them out fairly lively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Making them tea isn't gonna make them leave!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

With plenty of sugar mixed in for added potency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

are people really saying that this shyte doesn't happen in dublin??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I only wish they would call to my house so as I could tell them to **** off

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I got caught recently as I started answering the door again lately for some reason. I must have been sick or something. I'm better now, so the problem is solved. Unless they start singing through the letterbox thingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I like the Dingle wren where they go around like the offspring of The Wicker Man and the Ku Klux Klan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Piss buckets at the ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Unless they rap this, they don't get anything
    (wren = dreolín)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chips O'Toole

Eeehhhh, what country do you think this is? The new tradition is not to do things properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

It's wren persecution. Picking on the smallest bird. Or one of the smallest to keep the bird police off my back. Think about the wrens. Think about the wrens. More turkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Nothing but travellers doing it now. Phuckers

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Mams and dads. Plonking Santa hats on your kids , driving them around the estates , having them ring doorbells to mumble two lines of Rudolph the red nosed reindeer , before they stick s bucket under the householders nose, while you sit smoking in the car is nit following the Wren. Its.sending your kids out to beg. At Chistmas. Please stop.
    Do you say the same about Trick or Treaters?

At least it's keeping an Irish tradition alive rather than another American import. We always did it when we were kids and although it's rarer now, it's still good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I was in my local last night and a group of 4 gents from a particular ethnic minority came in, some dressed in drag, one wearing a pig onesie and started to "dance" in front of the guy playing music.

They then proceeded to go around the pub shaking a biscuit tin at the patrons looking for money.

Seemingly a couple of hours prior to that something similar happened.

Anyone else experience this or is it just a Longford thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Myself and my missus went for late drink in Portlaoise last night and some proper wren boys came in to the pub- playing guitar, bagpipes and some class of a bongo drum. They were dressed up and played very well, there was great banter with the publican and patrons, it was great craic and I hadn't seen wren boys in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I had this explained to me today as honestly, I had never heard of it before. It's obviously just a culchie thing as I've never seen this in Dublin or even heard anybody even mention it.

If it's just kids begging than I can see why it would be irritating....but on the other hand if some put in the effort and show up with instruments than I guess it would be worth listening to and paying for. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I was in a pub in cork and two seperate groups of kids came in looking for money screaming wren wren and shaking buckets,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Its just thinly veiled begging these days. They walk into pubs shaking their bucket and looking for money and dont do anything remotely competent or entertaining. Ask them to do something and they repeated sing the chorus of something incomprehensible and shake their buckets louder. It was a tradition dying out but a certain minority are bringing back in the worst form imaginable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

diomed wrote: »

Garrincha was born with one leg shorter than the other. Hence the shifty nature of tinker children performing the wren in pubs on stephen's day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

A couple of years ago I had people come to the door before Christmas with the bucket singing. Told them to **** off lively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

Thankfully I've never had to endure this sh*te in any of the parts of Dublin I've lived in. It's bad enough having to avoid the little fcukers at Halloween without them adding another day for more of the same.

Advertisement