Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭MissNomer

From March onwards the weather can be unpredictable in the Andean region. Probably more chance of heavy snowstorms in April and May however. I've crossed a few times by bus. Twice to get to Mendoza and once to get to Santiago. I went in April once and May twice. Each time I was impacted by snow. The longest was 4 days. And the shortest was about 24 hours. The border crossing was closed. So I'd definitely account for delays. But it's luck of the draw when it comes to weather. Forecasts in advance aren't much use as the weather can change very quickly there.

Hmmmm OK, oh dear. Well it doesn't look good for crossing the Andes then. It's grand if you're on a 6 month backpacking trip but losing that much time out of a 2 week holiday would probably wreck it. I might stick to Argentina on this trip and (fingers crossed) Chile (and Mendoza via the Andes) another time. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

MissNomer wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the advice, El Horseboxo! I think I'll give Uruguay a miss so - not particularly interested in going just to tick it off, especially as that return ferry trip appears to be mega expensive. I'm travelling on a serious budget so trying to keep costs as low as I can. That also rules out internal flights in most cases.

I'm going mid-April and it appears from my first stages of research that there's a chance of snow in the Andes at the time even though it's the start of autumn. Anyone been and can chime in on how likely this is? Crossing the Andes is definitely well up there on my wishlist but the idea of being stuck in Chile and missing my flight home isn't.

I keep hearing that the Iguazu falls are unmissable - would I really need two days? I'd love to go but 4 days is a lot out of a short trip. I'd most likely take an overnight bus there/back if possible.

Hearing very mixed reviews of BA itself. I'm a woman travelling alone and a lot of stuff there is to do there isn't that much fun alone - I'd be counting on meeting people over there. What I do keep reading is how dangerous it is, especially regarding street muggings and so on. This is putting me off quite a bit. I've never been to Latin America before, or any country with a high crime rate. Not too fussed about museums to be honest - I always go because I feel like I should, but they're never a highlight and I never remember them afterwards.

I'm flying out on April 13th - let me know if you want to meet up to do some travelling as I'll be travelling alone for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you are hand luggage only there is no problem getting out in Madrid. If you have checked baggage it won't be possible to leave in Madrid.

I have done this before where it was cheaper to fly beyond your intended destination and getting off at the "connecting" airport. With only hand luggage not a problem.

Who flies to South America with only hand luggage?

I'm flying out on April 13th - let me know if you want to meet up to do some travelling as I'll be travelling alone for two weeks.

Cool, will do! Have you any ideas or plans yet?
    Who flies to South America with only hand luggage?

Loads of people. It's almost a sport for some travellers to see how much they can cram into a carry-on. Check out the You Tube vids! I'm even considering it myself because I can't be arsed lugging a backpack around but don't think I'd manage it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

SNNUS wrote: »
    Yes it is an hour from BA, hard to get an itinerary for 2 weeks!

Ferry is only around an hour but the guts of another hour bus to Montevideo as ferry terminal is not in the city so realistically its a full day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Thanks a mill for the advice, El Horseboxo! I think I'll give Uruguay a miss so - not particularly interested in going just to tick it off, especially as that return ferry trip appears to be mega expensive. I'm travelling on a serious budget so trying to keep costs as low as I can. That also rules out internal flights in most cases.

I'm going mid-April and it appears from my first stages of research that there's a chance of snow in the Andes at the time even though it's the start of autumn. Anyone been and can chime in on how likely this is? Crossing the Andes is definitely well up there on my wishlist but the idea of being stuck in Chile and missing my flight home isn't.

I keep hearing that the Iguazu falls are unmissable - would I really need two days? I'd love to go but 4 days is a lot out of a short trip. I'd most likely take an overnight bus there/back if possible.

Hearing very mixed reviews of BA itself. I'm a woman travelling alone and a lot of stuff there is to do there isn't that much fun alone - I'd be counting on meeting people over there. What I do keep reading is how dangerous it is, especially regarding street muggings and so on. This is putting me off quite a bit. I've never been to Latin America before, or any country with a high crime rate. Not too fussed about museums to be honest - I always go because I feel like I should, but they're never a highlight and I never remember them afterwards.

There's a definite chance of snow. But that's not to say there isn't long periods of no snow. During heavy snow the visibility will be very low and due to the roads being narrow and winding they can become impassable. You could always play it safe and go the next day after arriving in BA. At least if there are delays you will have time to get back.

Iguazu is pretty much unmissable. Just an unbelievable sight. The Argentina side gets you close to the falls and is cheaper for the boat ride where you will get soaked. That's probably the highlight. Just experiencing the force of the falls up close. You'll need a spare pair of complete clothes. It would take pretty much a day to walk around the Argentina side. The trails can be long and it can be very busy. So it's not like you can just plough through. There'll be a lot of waiting to get clear pictures. Also hope for a clear day. If it's cloudy it's pretty much a waste of time as the falls can be completely obscured. The Brasilian side has the best views. You can get close to the falls here too. There's a cool walkway where you can get soaked by the falls mist. You could probably do both in the same day if you started at 7am. But that would be flying around and I doubt it would be enjoyable. Also remember that you are only off a near 24 hour bus journey. So you may not want to jump up early. Also depending on the arrival time you may have to go to the hostel and go straight out if it's early morning. Also factor in delays. Buses will not always arrive at the time they have stated 's before departure. So planning meticulously can be difficult. It would be nearly best arriving later in the day and doing the falls the next day. I'd recommend 2 days as I'd recommend doing the Brasilian side too. I don't think I'd enjoy a 24 hour bus trip, straight out to just the Argentina side. And then another long bus journey back. Puerto iguazu is a cool little town also. As is foz on the Brazilian side.

In all honesty, Buenos Aires is quite boring if you aren't into museums and architecture. That's all everything is really. Going to look at buildings, cemetaries and statues. It's easy to develop a seen one seen them all approach quickly. I didn't find it dangerous. Quite safe for a big city. Lots of well lit areas and easy to stay in populated areas. Just stay away from certain obvious areas after dark. And also on weekends when the places are empty. Such as la boca. If a place looks dodgy, chances are it is. So avoid. Just use common sense. It's not dangerous for just walking down the street and being robbed in touristy areas. Don't carry expensive items or wear expensive jewellery and all should be fine.

Hablas español? Would definitely help. Even the basics.

There's a definite chance of snow. But that's not to say there isn't long periods of no snow. During heavy snow the visibility will be very low and due to the roads being narrow and winding they can become impassable. You could always play it safe and go the next day after arriving in BA. At least if there are delays you will have time to get back.

True - that is an option.
    Iguazu is pretty much unmissable. Just an unbelievable sight. The Argentina side gets you close to the falls and is cheaper for the boat ride where you will get soaked. That's probably the highlight. Just experiencing the force of the falls up close. You'll need a spare pair of complete clothes. It would take pretty much a day to walk around the Argentina side. The trails can be long and it can be very busy. So it's not like you can just plough through. There'll be a lot of waiting to get clear pictures. Also hope for a clear day. If it's cloudy it's pretty much a waste of time as the falls can be completely obscured. The Brasilian side has the best views. You can get close to the falls here too. There's a cool walkway where you can get soaked by the falls mist. You could probably do both in the same day if you started at 7am. But that would be flying around and I doubt it would be enjoyable. Also remember that you are only off a near 24 hour bus journey. So you may not want to jump up early. Also depending on the arrival time you may have to go to the hostel and go straight out if it's early morning. Also factor in delays. Buses will not always arrive at the time they have stated 's before departure. So planning meticulously can be difficult. It would be nearly best arriving later in the day and doing the falls the next day. I'd recommend 2 days as I'd recommend doing the Brasilian side too. I don't think I'd enjoy a 24 hour bus trip, straight out to just the Argentina side. And then another long bus journey back. Puerto iguazu is a cool little town also. As is foz on the Brazilian side.

OK, thanks, will consider!
    In all honesty, Buenos Aires is quite boring if you aren't into museums and architecture. That's all everything is really. Going to look at buildings, cemetaries and statues. It's easy to develop a seen one seen them all approach quickly. I didn't find it dangerous. Quite safe for a big city. Lots of well lit areas and easy to stay in populated areas. Just stay away from certain obvious areas after dark. And also on weekends when the places are empty. Such as la boca. If a place looks dodgy, chances are it is. So avoid. Just use common sense. It's not dangerous for just walking down the street and being robbed in touristy areas. Don't carry expensive items or wear expensive jewellery and all should be fine.

Hablas español? Would definitely help. Even the basics.

The more I hear about BA, the more I think I won't really like it. Have some friends who have lived there and loved it, but a lot of places are great to live in and not so exciting to visit. It's not that I don't like looking at buildings, but I've done it so many times in so many places...at this stage I think I'd be a bit bored with it in a day. I'm WAY more interested in scenery and outdoor stuff, and seeing how people live.

True - that is an option.

OK, thanks, will consider!

The more I hear about BA, the more I think I won't really like it. Have some friends who have lived there and loved it, but a lot of places are great to live in and not so exciting to visit. It's not that I don't like looking at buildings, but I've done it so many times in so many places...at this stage I think I'd be a bit bored with it in a day. I'm WAY more interested in scenery and outdoor stuff, and seeing how people live.

I stayed over a month in BA. But that was mostly down to the fact I just wanted to stay in one place for a while. I went out a lot. For me it mostly turned into a drinking trip. I met some good people in hostels. The millhouse and hostel suites places are good for solo travellers. They're big hostels with an emphasis on socializing. Tigre is close by BA and has nice scenery. It's a semi tropical area.

By the sounds of things. It may be wise to consider going straight to mendoza when you arrive. Hope for no snow. And then up to iguazu fro there. And then back to BA. Could be the route with the least hassle and you'll get to see the places you'd rather see most with a few days in BA at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I'm thinking the same. Thanks El Horseboxo, that's really helped. I was struggling to find something I'd like to go there for. Buildings are great but I'm not going all the way to Argentina to look at buildings. I'd like to experience their culture and what makes it different, wildlife rainforests etc. Think I'm pretty convinced I'm out.

• Advertisement

I stayed over a month in BA. But that was mostly down to the fact I just wanted to stay in one place for a while. I went out a lot. For me it mostly turned into a drinking trip. I met some good people in hostels. The millhouse and hostel suites places are good for solo travellers. They're big hostels with an emphasis on socializing. Tigre is close by BA and has nice scenery. It's a semi tropical area.

By the sounds of things. It may be wise to consider going straight to mendoza when you arrive. Hope for no snow. And then up to iguazu fro there. And then back to BA. Could be the route with the least hassle and you'll get to see the places you'd rather see most with a few days in BA at the end.

Is there anything else you'd consider unmissable? I'm very interested in Patagonia but think it's way too much for this trip and on a budget and that your plan is more doable. People keep mentioning visiting an estancia - is that something you did and would recommend?
    Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same. Thanks El Horseboxo, that's really helped. I was struggling to find something I'd like to go there for. Buildings are great but I'm not going all the way to Argentina to look at buildings. I'd like to experience their culture and what makes it different, wildlife rainforests etc. Think I'm pretty convinced I'm out.

I'm not either, but why not just do the other stuff, as I (hopefully) will?

Is there anything else you'd consider unmissable? I'm very interested in Patagonia but think it's way too much for this trip and on a budget and that your plan is more doable. People keep mentioning visiting an estancia - is that something you did and would recommend?

I'm not either, but why not just do the other stuff, as I (hopefully) will?

Because it seems the other things are not do-able in Buenos Aires

Because it seems the other things are not do-able in Buenos Aires

Well, no...of course you can't look at giant waterfalls and the Andes in the middle of a city :D:confused:

Well, no...of course you can't look at giant waterfalls and the Andes in the middle of a city :D:confused:

I didn't expect to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

For those not too keen on spending lots of time in BA, maybe consider what I did a few years ago.

Depends on the cost of internal flights, of course, but we flew Dublin-Madrid-BA-El Calafate (Patagonia) all in one go - it was a lot of flying but didn't kill us. In El Calafate we did some hiking and visited some glaciers, then got a bus to El Chalten at the foot of the Andes, and were patched into a hiking group for a day-long hike into the mountains.

I couldn't begin to tell you how amazing it all was!

We spent our last four nights (of three weeks in total) in BA, and it was almost a disappointment having been in Patagonia, and then Antarctica - going back to nearly 40 degrees in a busy city was a huge shock to the system! If I was doing all of our trip again, I'd definitely get the city bit done first - BA is well worth seeing, and I never felt it was the tiniest bit unsafe btw.

We planned our trip as it was from the get-go, so I don't know how much each individual bit cost - but I could heartily recommend heading straight for Patagonia and spending most of your two weeks there. Spend some of the fortune you've saved on the big flights on internal flights to get you further south! It's very cheap once you're there, and it's just amazing.

I'm sooooooooo envious of all of you who have taken up this deal :(:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Totally agree with you in regards to flying to Patagonia. Realistically if you don't go now then you probably won't ever go and it's incredible down there

I didn't expect to.

I'm confused about what the issue is. :confused: You're saying you want to go to Argentina to see wildlife and experience the culture, but that because you can't do that in Buenos Aires, you're not going to go at all? I think I've misunderstood what you meant!

Del007 wrote: »
    Totally agree with you in regards to flying to Patagonia. Realistically if you don't go now then you probably won't ever go and it's incredible down there

I ruled out Patagonia this time around because I think it's somewhere that really does need time. I'd love to go but not at the expense of missing out on seeing all the other stuff. It's also somewhere I'd like to explore with a friend/partner, not alone.

For me the highlights were Iguazu falls, Patagonia (El Chaltén, Puerto Madryn, El Calafate, Perito Moreno glacier in particular). I had got a cruise down to Antarctica from Ushuaia which was my main highlight of the region. But that's expensive and you said you wanted to keep costs down. The whole trip down south would be quite expensive actually. A flight can be around 300 euro. And they can often be delayed. I recommend LAN over Aerolineas Argentinas if you fly anywhere. AA are forever delayed and have a habit of sending luggage elsewhere.

Outside of that I liked Mendoza and Bariloche. I also went on a Che Guevara route through Rosario, Córdoba and Samiapatia in Bolvia (house he was born in, lived in and were he was killed) which was cool.

I stayed on an Estancia in Patagonia. It was a good experience. But I don't think it was something I would go out of my way for again. It's basically just staying on a farm. You can help out if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wouldn't classify Argentina as "real" South America. It's more like Spain 30 years ago - fascinating place nevertheless. The distances are huge though, and you can waste a lot of time travelling. Aerolines are an awfully unreliable airline, book on LAN if you can when flying internally.

Mendoza is nice but boring, I wouldn't go out of my way to visit. The roadtrip to Chile is beautiful. The overnight sleeper buses are great as long as you pick a good company, I prefer the semi cama to full recliner, but each to their own.

Patagonia is amazing.

Iguazu is a once in a lifetime type of place, but leave room to do both sides over 2 days. The Brazilian & Paraguayan cities nearby are properly dangerous places however, stay in Argentina.

BA is interesting - I've been there a few times, but 2/3 days is plenty for me. Crime is quite high, be careful.

Did I say Patagonia is amazing? The most beautiful place I've ever been- but only go there if you like scenery, there is not much else. Calafate for Perito Moreno, Bariloche for shopping/Switzerland in the Andes.

Uruguay (Montevideo) is an interesting place for day trip, but very quiet otherwise.

An interesting place to visit is Salta in the West. It doesn't get many foreign tourists, and being on the border with Bolivia has a very "real" S. America feel to it, all the while being safely in Argentina. The Guinness "tipping point" ad was shot in Salta.

For me the highlights were Iguazu falls, Patagonia (El Chaltén, Puerto Madryn, El Calafate, Perito Moreno glacier in particular). I had got a cruise down to Antarctica from Ushuaia which was my main highlight of the region. But that's expensive and you said you wanted to keep costs down. The whole trip down south would be quite expensive actually. A flight can be around 300 euro. And they can often be delayed. I recommend LAN over Aerolineas Argentinas if you fly anywhere. AA are forever delayed and have a habit of sending luggage elsewhere.

Outside of that I liked Mendoza and Bariloche. I also went on a Che Guevara route through Rosario, Córdoba and Samiapatia in Bolvia (house he was born in, lived in and were he was killed) which was cool.

I stayed on an Estancia in Patagonia. It was a good experience. But I don't think it was something I would go out of my way for again. It's basically just staying on a farm. You can help out if you want.

Yep, the whole cruise/Patagonia thing is way out of my price range. It's something I hope to do in the future when I can afford to go the whole hog.

Still not sure whether or not to attempt Chile. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Still not sure whether or not to attempt Chile. Hmmm.
    Bear in mind Chile is expensive. European prices for food & accommodation.

hmmm wrote: »
    Bear in mind Chile is expensive. European prices for food & accommodation.

Would be couchsurfing anyway, but isn't Argentina expensive too? I had assumed they were both expensive.

hmmm wrote: »
    Iguazu is a once in a lifetime type of place, but leave room to do both sides over 2 days. The Brazilian & Paraguayan cities nearby are properly dangerous places however, stay in Argentina.

BA is interesting - I've been there a few times, but 2/3 days is plenty for me. Crime is quite high, be careful.

I wouldn't really agree with the above. Foz do Iguaçu is quite safe for most of the town. It's not that big and a lot of Foz is safe to walk at night. Very little attacks against tourists. Still the usual common sense should be used. Ciudad del este isn't dangerous either. It's a horrible looking place but there isn't really any crime towards tourists. Pickpockets on the buses would mostly be the height of it. But that's true of South America in general.

It's the same in Buenos Aires. I wouldn't consider it a high crime place. Higher than other parts of Argentina...yes. But it's localized in BA. Areas outside of Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano, Caballito, etc can have poor areas where you'd have a higher chance of being robbed. But most is opportunistic. Don't wear cameras around your neck, expensive visible jewellery, take out wads of money in shops, go to the bank and then hail a taxi in front of it, etc. If you use common sense like that. Buenos Aires will be no more dangerous than New York, London, Toronto or any other big populated city.

Would be couchsurfing anyway, but isn't Argentina expensive too? I had assumed they were both expensive.

It's more expensive than Bolivia, Peru or Colombia. Still cheaper than European prices. Just as Chile is. You can splash out more but you can still do most things for cheap. Transport will probably be the most unavoidable expense for you since you are couchsurfing. For a cama (bed) type bus from BA to Iguazu. It will be around 70 euro each way. Don't cheap on a bus would be my advice. The good buses are well worth the extra money and often include food, drinks, TV's etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Del007

Iwas there in 2006 and it was incredibly cheap, the value for money was unreal. Chile on the other hand was compatible to here

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

If your a football fan, I'd recommend Montevideo to see the National Stadium which hosted the first world cup final in 1930. I was there in 2010 just before the World Cup, and the museum curator gave us a guided tour of the whole stadium. I think he thought we were over from Ireland just to go there. We had good banter about Henry's handball, as France were in Uruguay's group. That was late May, and it was 10c and very cold btw.

Re: football, then it's highly recommended to take in some matches for the athmosphere alone. I'm about to pull the trigger on this for March, abd plan to get a Boca game and maybe one in Rosaria as well.

I came down from Brazil in 2010, and took in the Falls on the way. A definite must see, and I would echo the need for 2 days, one for each side. I know we saw the Argentina side on the 2nd day, and had plenty of time to catch a bus around 7pm which had us in BA the next day. So very doable if people on a tight schedule.

Looking at either Patagonia myself, or else Mendoza and maybe up to north Chile and the salt flats as missed all these the last time.

Would the bus be recommended to get to the falls? I realise it's a long trek, but is the scenery nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

just saying i traveled for three months around sth america as a woman alone- could not have stuck out more due to my height and have red head skin and had absolutely no probs. absolutely loved it thats why Im going back, met so many people just had a ball. so as long as you have a bit of common sense and dont go into the dangerous areas (and i have no sense of direction and always got lost) you will be fine and will love it. Im looking at pantagonia as missed it last time. salta was incredible so were the salt flats. just dont try cram too much in as we tend to forget how big it is and iguazu falls are a 25 hour bus journey (from what i remember) from BA. so google distances before you plan anything as you want to enjoy yourself and not stress too much as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭mosstin

L1985 wrote: »
    just saying i traveled for three months around sth america as a woman alone- could not have stuck out more due to my height and have red head skin and had absolutely no probs. absolutely loved it thats why Im going back, met so many people just had a ball. so as long as you have a bit of common sense and dont go into the dangerous areas (and i have no sense of direction and always got lost) you will be fine and will love it. Im looking at pantagonia as missed it last time. salta was incredible so were the salt flats. just dont try cram too much in as we tend to forget how big it is and iguazu falls are a 25 hour bus journey (from what i remember) from BA. so google distances before you plan anything as you want to enjoy yourself and not stress too much as well :)

What? :confused: When I can ask everyone on here? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SNNUS

You sound like a cool traveller! Can't wait now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

yeah I think people have been going a bit crazy with some of their plans-all I can say is sth america is a different type of holiday and best laid plans and all of that. You dont want to spend three days of a two week holiday on a bus (even if they do feed you and give you some very good Argentinean wine :) ) or in two or three different airports. you want to experience the country as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

From personal experience from those of you who have been, Salta or Mendoza? I'm going to need to squeeze Iguazu in as well from what I've read. Might be tight.

This is all assuming the airline/OTA don't pull the plug and leave us all majorly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Is anyone else slightly concerned about the 1 hr 10 min stopover. I've searched all over the place to try and get the same fare but with an earlier flight to FRA but can't.

I've had a Lufthansa flight cancelled / delayed before and they've just put me on the next one. The problem is that the next one isn't until the next day.

Checked my itinerary there and the connecting flight in Frankfurt is with the same Airline & Terminal I arrive in. Don't think it should be an issue assuming everything is running on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

C2911 wrote: »
    Is anyone else slightly concerned about the 1 hr 10 min stopover. I've searched all over the place to try and get the same fare but with an earlier flight to FRA but can't.

I've had a Lufthansa flight cancelled / delayed before and they've just put me on the next one. The problem is that the next one isn't until the next day.

No, anything upwards of 60 mins is doable and its same terminal and the incoming flight is 80+% on time. As already mentioned the airlines know who is on their schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Do you do couchsurfing much?

I think that would be more dangerous than BA.

Checked my itinerary there and the connecting flight in Frankfurt is with the same Airline & Terminal I arrive in. Don't think it should be an issue assuming everything is running on time.

Make sure you know how close they are and the times for the security check. Just because the alpha numeric number implies same terminal it may not be just a short walk from landing gate to departure. Frankfurt is a hub and is huge.

Also to answer your other question about the bus journey to iguazu. Not a journey full of scenery from what I remember. A lot of my trek up was in darkness. The bus isn't bad though. Go for viabariloce or pluma and spring for cama. It's a comfortable seat that pretty much reclines into a bed. You get food, English tv and there can be a bar with water and coffee etc. I had beer on one. Can't remember if that was to iguazu. That was an ejecutivo one I think.

If money isn't an issue flying would be better if time is tight. Only 2 or 3 hours up to Puerto iguazu.

Not if you go for verified accounts with plenty of positive reviews.

• Advertisement

No, anything upwards of 60 mins is doable and its same terminal and the incoming flight is 80+% on time. As already mentioned the airlines know who is on their schedule.

It is. In certain airports. In my opinion the 60 minute minimum stopover allowed should be increased. I've missed flights in London Heathrow, frankfurt, Chicago and Jfk all with 60 or 70 minute lay overs. All due to slight delays and having to go through slow security lines. I only recently would have missed one through Heathrow to Rio except that I opted for a longer layover. Had I picked the later flight and went with just an hour I would have missed it. Once the airline is prepared to put you on another plane they don't seem to really mind letting it go. Even when your name is being called. They also need to take into account your delay holding up any connections for the passenger's already on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭INPUT INNPUT

Not if you go for verified accounts with plenty of positive reviews.

Reading section 5 on wiki, rapes, rapes, peep holes, druggings, previously convicted rapist possibly raping kids, Couch surfing ambassador ( Ambassador status gained by positive reviews?) kicked off site for odd behaviour.

Then CEO of Company said rapes were definitely under reported.

Then further down page website censorship...so reviews mean f-all.

wikipedia.org/wiki/CouchSurfing

It's not a Hol to do on the cheap. Most people are only going to get one go at this and you shouldn't rush it.

Reading the thread is stressing me out alone never mind actually doing all this days of travelling to see stuff hundreds of miles apart to save a few quid.

Jaysus no.

Done it a few times. If I do it in Argentina, it'd be either staying with people real-life friends have stayed with or staying with a female host or family with lots of reviews. At least with Couchsurfing you get to choose who you stay with. I've met some total freaks in hostels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

I know its still going to be a risk re the connection but id rather risk it than the other option which was a 7 hr layover.

Bear in mind there is a 'fast lane' for security check if your flight departure is imminent. It will be displayed on monitor which flights are allowed to use according to this. http://static.fraport.de/ONLINE/Flippbook_trans/EN/index.html#/6/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

yeah I think people have been going a bit crazy with some of their plans-all I can say is sth america is a different type of holiday and best laid plans and all of that. You dont want to spend three days of a two week holiday on a bus (even if they do feed you and give you some very good Argentinean wine :) ) or in two or three different airports. you want to experience the country as well :)

Buses can serve a multitude of purposes if you plan them right. If you get something like an overnight cama-suite then you are saving on airline cost, hotel cost while getting a decent nights sleep(semi lie flat beds) and arrive into the city centre as opposed to an airport mile outside.

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Buses can serve a multitude of purposes if you plan them right. If you get something like an overnight cama-suite then you are saving on airline cost, hotel cost while getting a decent nights sleep(semi lie flat beds) and arrive into the city centre as opposed to an airport mile outside.

Yep, that's what I often do. It's quite a convenient way of getting a night's sleep. I do agree that it's not ideal to be zipping around here, there and everywhere but who can afford to go back to Argentina multiple times?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

Can anyone confirm or deny that this year's Saint Patrick's parade in BA will be held on Sunday March 15th

[apparently it usually takes place on the Sunday prior]

If you want to go to a St Patricks Day parade, why not just stay in Dublin?

• Advertisement

If you want to go to a St Patricks Day parade, why not just stay in Dublin?

Maybe they're interested in seeing how the Argentinians celebrate it? Could be a good talking point to get chatting with the locals? I was in Madrid one Paddy's day and found it a great way to get chatting to local Spanish people.

Are you always this judgemental?

Advertisement