Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caution, this may be a stupid question... PC Power pack

Options
  • 26-12-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have an old PC I used in college back in 2000.
    I had it in storage for the last good few years and went to turn it on the other day to see what was on it. Its a custom built machine and was pretty high end at the time.
    Anyway its dead and I took the fuse out of the power supply and its dead. So I got a replacement and when I put it back together and plugged it back in the power supply farted a spark and its all still dead so I presume it blew the replacement fuse.
    I know nothing about building computers so heres a couple of possibly very stupid questions.
    1. Have i killed it?
    2. If not, theres obviously something causing the fuse to blow, can I just whip out the power pack from another old PC and stick in the plugy things and away I go or will that kill me and the PC.
    3. Should I stop fiddling with things I know nothing about before Im burnt and crispy?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi all,
    I have an old PC I used in college back in 2000.
    I had it in storage for the last good few years and went to turn it on the other day to see what was on it. Its a custom built machine and was pretty high end at the time.
    Anyway its dead and I took the fuse out of the power supply and its dead. So I got a replacement and when I put it back together and plugged it back in the power supply farted a spark and its all still dead so I presume it blew the replacement fuse.
    I know nothing about building computers so heres a couple of possibly very stupid questions.
    1. Have i killed it?
    2. If not, theres obviously something causing the fuse to blow, can I just whip out the power pack from another old PC and stick in the plugy things and away I go or will that kill me and the PC.
    3. Should I stop fiddling with things I know nothing about before Im burnt and crispy?

Thanks

On a custom the power supply is almost certainly replaceable. You just need to get a compatabile unit (most likely atx)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You can buy a Raspberry Pi that's probably about as powerful as your nearly 15-year-old PC for far less then the price of a new PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its so old its useless. Drill a hole in the Hard Drive and then throw the lot out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You would actually pick up an entire dual core machine with 2GB of ram which would be grand for desktop use for the cost of a new power supply these days (about €40-50).

Even if it was high-end in 2000, that would still make it a Pentium....III I'd say! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

If you just want to see whats on it, you could just pull out the hard drive and connect to a modern pc. You may need to buy an adapter to do so but it would be cheaper than a new power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah just try and retrieve the data as it has gone to the great scrap heap in the sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you haven't looked at it in 20yrs there's nothing useful on it.

So what would be the point.

Advertisement