Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n gauge or TT gauge

Options
  • 26-12-2014 10:53pm

has anybody have any experience using n or TT gauge in Ireland I know there very popular in Europe Burt don't seem to come across them here just wondering what your experiences are compared to oo or ho
    I may have posted this already by mistake so mods feel free to delete.
    cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've just noticed the old thread here, so I apologise for a late response.

n scale model trains are HUGE [you know what I mean]. However, there are a couple of things to note -

1. The British outline stuff is so good these days that it makes your eyes itch to see the detail, and is not cheap.

2. Continental stuff is totally awe-making, and is VERY not cheap.

3. Same goes for US/Can stuff.

4. Kato - Japanese - is truly beautiful in every way - a huge range, too.

TT is just about dead unless you go for continental, even Hungarian, it's rare stuff and even harder to build for, since it shares nothing with any other scale. ALL n scale, no matter where it comes from, has a gigantic range of associated buildings and structures in ready-made or kit form.

TT has, uh, nothing.

Needless to say, if it's Irish stuff that you're after, you are out of luck for either scale unless you are a dab hand at repainting/decalling. British models can be converted to the old CIE racing snail era models, but you'll never see any of the real Inchicore-built locos in model form in any scale.

Why not try something bigger, anyhow? Especially if you have a backyard...see my Youtube channel - tac's trains.

tac

thanks for the reply! :) just subscribed to your channel that layout in the garden and those coal fired models are something else!! Is that your garden?

while I'm quite new to this hobby I have a bit of a collection of 00 stock but my circumstances at the moment I wont be able to build a layout for a while so I was thinking of TT or N gauge most likely gauge :)

Was looking at some of the Kato stuff alright your right very nice

British n these days, and to tell the truth, for the last ten or so years, has been as detailed as 00, and of course, you get four times the amount of track and sruff in the same space as 00 scale.

I live not far a from a HUGE train store, so if there is any help that you need - possibly less expensive that your prices in the RoI - let me know.

All the stuff you see on the roundy-round track is in my backyard, the rest is on other peoples' tracks. I'm in the Gauge 1 MRA, and we have get-togethers where we run steam - gas or meth or coal-fired - or electric, on separate occasions. I also have models in British narrow gauge scale of 16mm to the foot, as well as building a lot of stuff for my US narrow gauge.

Best

tac

I've just gone back a while and found this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056984219ad

Lots of local to Ireland dealers there, I'm sure!

Best

tac

ah fair play :) yeah the marks models mentioned in the other thread is where Iv done some of my shopping but can be expensive and I have't seen any n gauge stuff,
    Was lookin online at the Bachmann n gauge and the seem decent enough
    Defo getting the itch for n gauge layout now :D

• Advertisement

aaronc182 wrote: »
    ah fair play :) yeah the marks models mentioned in the other thread is where Iv done some of my shopping but can be expensive and I have't seen any n gauge stuff,
    Was lookin online at the Bachmann n gauge and the seem decent enough
    Defo getting the itch for n gauge layout now :D

Farish is the bee's knees of British outline n gauge - some of their passenger cars and newer locos are incredible. Have look at the big store in Peterborough - trains4U - not far from me. They have enormous stocks is 2nd hand stuff, too. Remember that you pay 20% LESS than I do!

tac

Advertisement