Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place in Cork city for mens suits

Options
  • 26-12-2014 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am looking for the best place to buy a suit in Cork city. Ideally of there is a good sale but also good staff that will not just be there for commission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

What's your budget?

As a middle of the road option, you could do far worse than M&S.

They have a decent selection, and a sale on now.

http://www.marksandspencer.ie/Regular-Fit/IE_SubCategory_13617201312,en_IE,sc.html#?srule=price-low-to-high&start=0&sz=12&format=ajax&ap=300&format=ajax

You can mix trousers and jacket (size) and even buy 2 x trousers + 1 jacket for longevity (wise buy IMO!).

Otherwise, depends on what you want the suit for - work, wedding, function etc - and how much you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Without question, simply suits. I bought my wedding suits in there and it was the most stress free part of my wedding. The lads in there are sound out, know their stuff and won't put you wrong. They're near Smyths by the kinsale road roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tony's Menswear in the city is where my brothers always get theirs. They tailor the clothes to you, and the guys in there are really good with recommending what looks best. Kinda wish there was an equivalent shop for women tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres a place in north point business park in blackpool. Very good to deal with and they do the tailoring in house. We got suits for a wedding there this year and couldnt fault them. Cant remember the name tho. On the right as you drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I got my wedding suit in GQ on Patrick Street. Excellent staff, not too pushy and a nice selection of suits.

I got another suit recently in Topman of all places. Quality suit, great fit, decent price. Not a huge selection there but worth a shot. I didn't like the M&S selection, the material felt cheap/thin and they didn't sit well on me (slim fit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Bacchus wrote: »
    I got my wedding suit in GQ on Patrick Street. Excellent staff, not too pushy and a nice selection of suits.

I got another suit recently in Topman of all places. Quality suit, great fit, decent price. Not a huge selection there but worth a shot. I didn't like the M&S selection, the material felt cheap/thin and they didn't sit well on me (slim fit).
    I have also used GQ for suits and clothes numerous times, and have always found them good to deal with, along with having a good selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

I actually ended up buying in Mick Murphys in North Main Street. Found a good deal in their sale and very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Bacchus wrote: »

Really? I find them poor to deal with. Being pounced on when you walk into the store and being followed around pushing various items onto you. Don't bother with them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

SeaFields wrote: »
    Really? I find them poor to deal with. Being pounced on when you walk into the store and being followed around pushing various items onto you. Don't bother with them any more.
    Must say in all my years of going there i have never felt like that, at most one of two staff would ask me if i would like a hand picking out anything and if i say no they would leave it at that unless i ask them a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

SeaFields wrote: »

Unfortunately I have to echo this. I definitely felt the same last time I was in there, though things could have changed because that was a few years ago and I haven't been back since.

Tony's menswear is more expensive than other places, but by god is it worth it. The guys in there are lovely. They'll help with matching everything up, sizing, colours for you personally, everything. I haven't bought a tie from anywhere else in the last 4 years as they have quality ties with personality. A nice one to check out honestly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yeah, I agree about GQ and the staff as well. Was in there with my husband last summer. He had a good idea of what he wanted but the sales guy ignored him and kept bringing him random stuff to try on. Husband kept telling him why the suits weren't what he wanted but he just wasn't getting it. Not to mention the thinly veiled comments about how I would obviously have the final say on the suit because I'm a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,252 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GQ are a disgrace retail shop to deal with.

Heard few bad stories and had a bad experience with them last summer.

I mean crap happens. I have been to shops where I got wrong suit but was treated so well after that.

But in GQ the arrogance of one man who works in GQ was quite astonishing when I returned a jacket that had zips faulty and stains in back in summer.

Never again. Pity cause another lad the day when I bought the jacket was lovely. I was only asking for a refund or new jacket but I was told it was my fault. BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

GQ are a disgrace retail shop to deal with.

Heard few bad stories and had a bad experience with them last summer.

I mean crap happens. I have been to shops where I got wrong suit but was treated so well after that.

But in GQ the arrogance of one man who works in GQ was quite astonishing when I returned a jacket that had zips faulty and stains in back in summer.

Never again. Pity cause another lad the day when I bought the jacket was lovely. I was only asking for a refund or new jacket but I was told it was my fault. BS.

Had a very similar situation, would never go there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Simply Suits, wouldn't even consider going anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Pennys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

Dave147 wrote: »
    Simply Suits, wouldn't even consider going anywhere else.

I also recommend Simply Suits even though I didn't buy anything there! Unfortunately they didn't have my size waistcoat in one particular style I had my eyes on. They were ready to order it in but I needed it sooner. The guy working there was sound as a pound.

I ended up getting the same suit in Best Man, Mahon point as they had my exact size. So I also recommend those folks, decent selection of suits down the back and they can get stuff tailored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sumfeen

Old thread but used it for a recommendation. Got a nice new suit in Simply Suits today. Found them sound to deal with

Advertisement