Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding 1.5 &4 year old

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

lazygal wrote: »
    Could you slowly reduce the amount over a few weeks? So you don't stop giving it all at once, but phase it out.

I'm going to have to do something. She was very slow to eat in the first place and would only eat baby rice up until 7.5 months no matter what I tried. She won't eat fruit or anything like that. She absolutely loves the hearty Irish meals now. You know, like mashed up roasts and stews with gravy. But she won't eat it without the gravy. I've tried adding a bit of milk or water instead so it's not dry but no luck. I even have to put gravy on salmon or cod for her to eat it :(. I might try and phase it out as you say. It's just as she was so slow to eat finding I'm giving in to her as I don't want her to refuse it altogether. I know she won't starve.... I just hate her not eating. My son would eat anything you put in front of him at this age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Maybe swap it for something like homemade salsa or pesto, if it's just that she doesn't want it dry?

Maybe swap it for something like homemade salsa or pesto, if it's just that she doesn't want it dry?

I've tried a couple things so it's not dry... I just think she loves salty things? She would literally eat a bucket of food that has a bit of stock or gravy on it and grunts and squeals if I don't give it fast enough. But turns her nose up at anything else. She won't even eat banana or stewed apples or nice sweet things.... She's such a rascal. We turned a corner a couple weeks ago and she's now taking weetbix for her breakfast (thank God says I)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sligo what about adding a bit of gravy powder into the likes of a tomato sauce so the colour and stuff would be more similar to what she's used to? Maybe you'd use less powder that way...maybe not!

I never thought of using ketchup. Just thpught it was full of sugar tho unless homemade? I have started putting only half a teaspoon of gravy powder into half cup water and using a little but of this tho as opposed to using proper thick graves etc.... I'm just hoping she will get better at eating when she's a bit older.

Sorry for hijacking the OPs thread everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hijack away, it's all ideas for me too!
    My little one would never touch gravy. They're all so different. Big changes in tow in this house from tomorrow so I'm expecting a few weeks of resistance.

Just thinking I'm sure I've seen reduced salt Bisto in Tesco, might not be ideal but might be better than the full salt stuff if it's that or not eat!

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just thinking I'm sure I've seen reduced salt Bisto in Tesco, might not be ideal but might be better than the full salt stuff if it's that or not eat!

Thanks will have a look! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I never thought of using ketchup. Just thpught it was full of sugar tho unless homemade? I have started putting only half a teaspoon of gravy powder into half cup water and using a little but of this tho as opposed to using proper thick graves etc.... I'm just hoping she will get better at eating when she's a bit older.

Sorry for hijacking the OPs thread everyone!

I was thinking more on the lines of a tomato sauce you'd use for pasta and the like. Reduced salt one sounds much easier though lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Eek. I assumed you were making actual gravy.. That would be some effort everyday alright. Bisto is something I wouldn't eat myself. Hardly anything on the list of ingredients even sounds like food to me.

You could try making real gravy in a batch and freezing it in ice cube trays. You could do it with very little salt.. I make mine with red wine vinegar in the roasting tray... If you have roasted an onion and garlic in the tray too there will be loads of flavour and a very rich colour without any stock.

• Advertisement

Thanks pwurple. We wouldn't use Bisto. Usually the Schwartz packets (way nicer!) and I add the juices and fat from the meat. Otherwise the knorr savoury gravy for the couple days per week that I'm not making the other stuff. I think I'm going to try and phase it out as I would like her to be tasting the actual food rather than gravy all the time... Maybe she just doesn't like my cooking... Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just wondering what the issue is for salt and babies? We've never done special baby meals. Our food is mostly made from scratch and mostly organic but there'd be a reasonable amount of salt in it. Is salt bad for kids? What's the reasoning behind it? Genuine question. To my mind something homemade with added salt (natural sea salt) would be preferable to something containing something processed like a stock cube, low salt or not, but I have zero scientific basis for this, it's more the vibe of the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Just wondering what the issue is for salt and babies? We've never done special baby meals. Our food is mostly made from scratch and mostly organic but there'd be a reasonable amount of salt in it. Is salt bad for kids? What's the reasoning behind it? Genuine question. To my mind something homemade with added salt (natural sea salt) would be preferable to something containing something processed like a stock cube, low salt or not, but I have zero scientific basis for this, it's more the vibe of the thing.

Their little kidneys can't process much salt.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/824.aspx?CategoryID=51

pwurple wrote: »
    Eek. I assumed you were making actual gravy.. That would be some effort everyday alright. Bisto is something I wouldn't eat myself. Hardly anything on the list of ingredients even sounds like food to me.

You could try making real gravy in a batch and freezing it in ice cube trays. You could do it with very little salt.. I make mine with red wine vinegar in the roasting tray... If you have roasted an onion and garlic in the tray too there will be loads of flavour and a very rich colour without any stock.

Pwurple if you have time could you please pm me your recipe? Is it defo ok for freezing? I have some little pots I could freeze it in. How would I defrost it. Microwave? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Pwurple if you have time could you please pm me your recipe? Is it defo ok for freezing? I have some little pots I could freeze it in. How would I defrost it. Microwave? Thanks :)

No recipe!

Roast meat with onions in the oven like normal. If you have roasted long enough the onions will be a very dark colour in the pan to give colour to the gravy. Take meat and onions out, and if there is fat that came off the meat, spoon some of that out too. Stir in a few tablespoons of vinegar and water (or wine!) until all the meaty stuff comes off the bottom of the pan and reduce for a few minutes over the hob. Done!

You said she likes it thick I think? To thicken, mash a teaspoon of flour and butter together in a bowl, and whisk it in.

I freeze it in big icecube trays. I don't know if we can give food safety advice, but I think it should be fine for freezing. it hasn't already been frozen, and it is mostly water.

Yes, to defrost, just zap in the microwave.

Just a little update on this. Things are going well with the 'family meals'. Well we really are only doing it with the 4 year old and us adults, the 1 year old won't touch anything and can't use the spoon etc (has been spoon fed rather than blw) so he normally just has toasted cheese or something at tea time while we have dinner.

I got the Derval O'Rourke receipe book for Christmas and am loving it. The receipes are great and really easy to make. Most of the things I've made have been a hit with both my husband and the 4 year old (although one lentils dish did mostly end up in the bin!), it's great cooking things from scratch rather than using packets and we're all definitely eating way more healthily than before.

The most recent things I've made from it are shepards pie, stuffed peppers, spag bolognese, curry, topped chicken breasts and the list goes on :)

My 4 year old can be very slow sometimes so if we finish early we might step in and just start feeding her to speed her up but generally she's doing great at the 'proper' dinners, and we're all eating together way more than we were. They still get the odd night of dinner in the playroom, and the odd dinner like pizza that they loved from before but generally a huge improvement!

Advertisement