Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best free security

Options
  • 27-12-2014 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My brother got a new laptop for Christmas and I have no more licences to install norton on.
    What is the best free anti virus software.
    Or is there a way I can re-install norton on his computer as it was in it before I restored it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Window 8? If it is, just use Windows Defender that came with it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I use Avast free but tbh Microsoft security essentials is fine (windows defender in Windows 8).

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

hi there is a thread about this offer in the bargains alert section

http://sharewareonsale.com/s/bitdefender-total-security-giveaway-sale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I use Microsoft security essentials too but a few reviews I've read recommend Avira and also claim it has better detection results over Avast? That said, they say it has a slightly heavier footprint than Avast & that could be important on older slower machines.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Avast is good. Avira (in my experience) slows down the computer. MSE is fine.

Avast packaged with Malwarebytes should sort you out. That's what I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement