Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please - Windows 7 Home Premium clean install

Options
  • 27-12-2014 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hello, just here to ask if anyone in the Central Dublin area would be able to help me - I have to do a complete reinstallation of Windows 7, due to a fatal error. Does anyone have the disk for Windows 7 that I could borrow for a day please? I have the product key, but I never received a recovery disk. I wouldn't ask it of anyone usually, but it is important I get the computer back up and running in the next week. Thanks for reading!

Obviously, also, I would give you my number etc to assure you you will receive the disk as it was given!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can download the Windows 7 DVD for reinstalling here: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links
    Just burn the image to a blank DVD and reinstall using your product key.
    Make sure to pick the correct language and also architecture (32 or 64 bit) for your OS

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

If you have a laptop, check if it comes with a recovery partition aka factory reset on the harddrive. When it boots up check the options on the boot screen, for example on a Dell you would press the F8 key. Then just follow the instructions. This will also wipe all of your files on the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

yoyo wrote: »
    You can download the Windows 7 DVD for reinstalling here: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links
    Just burn the image to a blank DVD and reinstall using your product key.
    Make sure to pick the correct language and also architecture (32 or 64 bit) for your OS

Nick

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it's the means for doing that that is the problem. But I'll try to find a way! :)
    tadcan wrote: »
    If you have a laptop, check if it comes with a recovery partition aka factory reset on the harddrive. When it boots up check the options on the boot screen, for example on a Dell you would press the F8 key. Then just follow the instructions. This will also wipe all of your files on the machine.

It's not a laptop, but did have a recovery partition - however, it got me caught in an infinite restart loop due to some issue in there, so I have to boot it from disk/USB! Thanks for the reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

It's not a laptop, but did have a recovery partition - however, it got me caught in an infinite restart loop due to some issue in there, so I have to boot it from disk/USB! Thanks for the reply!

Corruption on the recovery partition could also point to possible damage to the HDD, you might also need to replace your Hard Drive...

...however, it got me caught in an infinite restart loop due to some issue in there, so I have to boot it from disk/USB! Thanks for the reply!

In that case spinrite maybe of help. This iso will check each sector of the hard drive, recover data from bad sectors to a good one and make the hard drive boot. Ignore the basic website, the software is effective in fixing errors. You will still need to burn the iso to a disk or run from a usb key.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

tadcan wrote: »
    In that case spinrite maybe of help. This iso will check each sector of the hard drive, recover data from bad sectors to a good one and make the hard drive boot. Ignore the basic website, the software is effective in fixing errors. You will still need to burn the iso to a disk or run from a usb key.

https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

Wow! Spinrite... There's a name I haven't heard in years. The current v6 was released back in maybe like 2008 or so I think. Does it still have a purpose?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Wow! Spinrite... There's a name I haven't heard in years. The current v6 was released back in maybe like 2008 or so I think. Does it still have a purpose?

Well yes, if the OP's spinning disk hard drive is stuck in a boot loop, then that is Spinrites job to fix. Granted its cost and the cost of a new HD may mean the OP prefers to do that, but its a useful tool to have.

Apparently it is being upgraded to work with SSDs soon and be independent of the PC's Bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I'd only use spinrite as a very last resort. Or if the data on the drive was worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Thank you all very much, got my hands on a USB I could make bootable and I'm going to try that first, but then should that not work (probably won't), I'm going to get into these suggestions! Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement