Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish air rifle laws

Options
  • 27-12-2014 2:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

hi i want to no what age do you have to be to by an air rifle in ireland and is there any restrictions on what one you can have such as an. bullpup. semi auto. fully auto etc. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

See the large red sticky at the top of every shooting forum.
    Air rifles are treated the same as all other firearms under the law. Same rules apply to them for all the things you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

14 for a training licence, 16 for your own licence.

Bullpups are restricted, no full auto.

You have to have a safe for it, have an adequate reason to have it, do a safety course etc.

Edit; Read that sticky as Sparks said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 username1122

Thanks for replying so fast. I'm currently 16 and have a semi auto 12 shotgun and I have the safe course done the reason why I want one is because they are cheaper than bullets for target shooting and for rabbits. and do you have to be a member of any range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Buy yourself a .22 semi auto like a ruger 10.22 or that. 525 rounds can be got for €35 and it will be much better for hunting than an air rifle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks for replying so fast. I'm currently 16 and have a semi auto 12 shotgun and I have the safe course done
    The first thing i would do is get the full license for the shotgun. A training license is like a provisional license for a car. You can only take the gun out with the person that is fully licensed/owns the gun. Get this done first then look to a rifle. You training license will act as your competence and if you have a course done also then you are on the pig's back.
    the reason why I want one is because they are cheaper than bullets for target shooting and for rabbits. and do you have to be a member of any range
    The air rifle ammo is cheaper but has limited range, and you'll soon find yourself looking for something a little better if it's hunting and target shooting you are after.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement