Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in crumlin

Options
  • 27-12-2014 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I think the value of house prices in Crumlin are very undervalued, and I'm going to try and buy in the area. Only thing is, I don't know much about the place, anyone know about the area, amenities, pubs, etc??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭spurshero

u ththink u have answered your own question thereink the houses in crumlin are undervalued but u dont know anything about the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

noelg101 wrote: »
    I think the value of house prices in Crumlin are very undervalued, and I'm going to try and buy in the area. Only thing is, I don't know much about the place, anyone know about the area, amenities, pubs, etc??

Thanks.

I know the area very well, but first I am curious as to how you think that the houses are undervalued when you don't even know the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭spurshero

that post came out all wrong but im sure u get my drift. if u are buying in any area u should know as much as possible before .its impossible to say whether houses are under or over valued in any areas if u know next to nothing about the area

• Registered Users Posts: 11 noelg101

I suppose going on where it located, as its very close to the city centre. Any houses that close to town, in other areas of the city are twice or three times the price.

Location...vvery close to city centre...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

I suppose going on where it located, as its very close to the city centre. Any houses that close to town, in other areas of the city are twice or three times the price.

Summer hill would be under valued too even closer to city centre

Crumlin, for some people, still carries the legacy of it's bad old days, when by some it was considered a no go area, especially after dark.
    It has changed over the years and has settled down a bit, but you would really need to research the part of the area that you are interested in.
    The village area will have pretty much anything you would need for the essentials, but not much else.
    There are plenty of bus routes in the area, which can get you into or across the city centre.

Thanks K,

Sound good. Will do more research, but I think the bad name thing has died out a bit. Seems to be a safe enough place now a days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Those stats are interesting, but it looks like break ins aren't too high, but violent crime is. Do you know if the area is dangerous, or not.

• Advertisement

braddun wrote: »

Thats a good link,
    O.P. take a read through the nine pages on the link that braddun has put up. The posts are only about a year old and I would say that they still describe the area as it is today, with the exception of the house prices.
    Those stats are interesting, but it looks like break ins aren't too high, but violent crime is. Do you know if the area is dangerous, or not.

With Garda stations being closed all over the country, the Crumlin area still has 2 ... ;)

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Thats a good link,
    O.P. take a read through the nine pages on the link that braddun has put up. The posts are only about a year old and I would say that they still describe the area as it is today, with the exception of the house prices.

With Garda stations being closed all over the country, the Crumlin area still has 2 ... ;)
    I see that, but trying to get a feel from those in the area. I think it's the only place to buy due to location, and therefore great value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

What kind of people live in Crumlin and what would their average income level be? How much of a mortgage would that enable them to get under the new central bank rules? There's your answer as to how much the houses are worth-I can't ever see them going much above €250K.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I see that, but trying to get a feel from those in the area. I think it's the only place to buy due to location, and therefore great value.

You still havent stated why its so good. It reads more like your trying to promote the area in a round about way. Whats your budget ? What you looking to buy ? Where your working ? Etc etc its not sufficient to just say i think its undervalued etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

K.Flyer wrote: »
    But Drimnagh and the Barn don't have any!?!

OP, have a decent look at where you might land as obviously some parts are nicer than others. I grew up down the road in Walkinstown but spent a lot of my time in Pearce Park and Armagh Road playing soccer so I'd like to think I'd be reasonably familiar with the area. I never had any trouble but did hear stories of others who did - same as any area I would assume.

A little bit of extra money would probably get you something around the Balfe Road/library area of Walkinstown, only 10 minute walk from Crumlin village but a little bit nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

It really depends on the part. The neighbors make a huge difference also. You'd have to suss out them out. Some can be very dodgy. Some are lovely.

I used to live in Kimmage. A lot of people confuse Crumlin with Kimmage. Most of the time it was grand but there was a few incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I grew up in Crumlin, and lived there until my mid 20's. Just bought our first home there and am excited to be moving back. Overall I think its safe enough, our house was broken into twice in the late 80's early 90's but my mums house hasnt been broken into since. I think its a very under rated area, sure its generally a working class area mostly but during the boom a lot of new couples moved into the area, my mums road in perticular is very mixed in terms of socioeconomic profile of the residents.

Again in terms of house prices at the peak of the boom mums house was valued at 400k ( though that was way too much imo) our own house was valued at 290k.

The location is fantastic, when I was in college I walked in every day it took 40mins from stannaway road to college green. If walking isnt your thing there are plenty of busses.

if you have any specific questions op feel free to ask

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I'm living in Crumlin at the moment and have lived here on and off for over 30 years. So if you've any questions about particular areas (and Crumlin is pretty big) hit me.

Think the location is great, just wanted a feeling from those living, or have lived there. Every area has good and bad, so I'm sure Crumlin has its share. But it's location suits me, and so I am thinking it's good value, but wanted to know what local life is like, with amenities and shops etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I've lived here for 15 years and love it, where I am is v. quiet, huge back garden , never been burgled (touch wood) or had any hassle, & I've had probably 60-70 people staying or renting in that time (couch surfing, renting etc), from tiny Asian girls to big German lads, and no-one has ever had any problems. I live on one of the more well-known roads (for the wrong reasons), and 100 metres down the road a house was set on fire 6 months ago & destroyed (v. depressing!) If you asked the Gardai about buying on my road, they would probably tell you to run a mile, yet I love it here.

So you have this mix of working-class / middle-class people, & then the occasional total scum.
    Try and suss out your neighbours, if the front/back gardens are in good nic that's usually a good sign. If possible, try and avoid buying in spots where kids might hang out. Talk to the gardai & see if you can get any info from them for the particular steet you have in mind. And try & buy a place with a south-facing back garden :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks Luke. That helps a lot. I do know the area somewhat, but just want to get a local point of view. Are the young kids that tough, or could you have a word if they were hanging around the house up to anti social stuff. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't feel scared, just don't need unnecessary annoyances. Live and let live type of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I haven't lived in Crumlin, but know people from Crumlin. In answer to your question on whether the kids really are "that tough" I would say yes yes yes. Having a quiet word with them or their parents is unlikely to resolve any issues and only likely to create more hassle for yourself. Are you originally from Dublin, OP? The best you could do if you're looking to buy in Crumlin is to spend as much time there as you can so that you can get a feel for the place. Suss out the different roads to see where is quiet and where there is trouble. Check out maps -- this may give a better indication of which parts of Crumlin are closer to more middle class areas (Terenure/Templeogue).

I think you're spot on with Crumlin btw. It's got an ageing profile, and has a much greater share of over-65s than neighbouring areas that are also close to town. Young people are being priced out of D6 and D8 and Crumlin is the next closest suburb to town. Over the next twenty years or so all of these older people are going to have their houses sold, and the buyers will be young and middle class people wanting somewhere near town. I don't think there'll be a rush per se, just a gradual and steady change in the demographic profile of the area.

I wouldn't say they're that tough, it's just you don't want to become their focus of attention, because there can be quite a few of them (Crumlin never seems to be short of kids!) The best policy is to ignore them (unless they go too far), and not get too friendly with them.
    But if you look tough enough, I'm sure they'd scarper quick enough, they're mostly young teens. One of my friends had hassle with them for a while, getting into their back garden and causing petty vandalism, nothing serious. Most of the time it's boredom in the summer months & then they all disappear when autumn kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I agree with what the poster said about the kids, I had run ins with a few kids kicking football at my car, and our 80 something year old neighbours front door and windows, I was a bit of a hot head at the time and I confronted them and their parents, and not a blind bit of difference did it make! the beautiful thing about annoying kids though is that they grow up, so they're no hassle any more!

That said 80% of the residents of my road are 60+ there are barely any kids any more, there weren't even that many when I was a kid myself 20 odd years ago, a lot of my mums neighbours have been "old" as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just on the kids, I used to work in the Ashleaf 18 months ago for nearly 2 years and it was a disaster with kids/teenagers robbing things and just in general being c*nts. Two things though, it's all group mentality from them and according to a few mates who still work there it's all but stopped with the kids/teenagers so guessing it's in general around there.

I agree with what the poster said about the kids, I had run ins with a few kids kicking football at my car, and our 80 something year old neighbours front door and windows, I was a bit of a hot head at the time and I confronted them and their parents, and not a blind bit of difference did it make! the beautiful thing about annoying kids though is that they grow up, so they're no hassle any more!

That said 80% of the residents of my road are 60+ there are barely any kids any more, there weren't even that many when I was a kid myself 20 odd years ago, a lot of my mums neighbours have been "old" as long as I can remember.

Sounds fun! Am gonna do research and hang out in the area at various times, and I don't mind a few annoying kids, just not my head wrecked night after night. Suppose when your buying and not renting, your in for the long haul. Ta for the advice!

Thanks Luke, Aard, I'm from Wicklow, but want to move closer to city. Value and location meet in that neck of the woods. All this feedback is priceless, and really appreciate the honesty. Bit of luck, and I'll be fine. Better the devil you know, sometimes. As you say, kids grow up...

A funny incident a few months ago- I had a young Japanese guy staying with me, and he'd got the bus & was dragging 3 big bags up the road. A few local kids (about 10-12 year olds) saw an entrepreneurial opportunity and went up to him and jokingly said 'Hey Mister, giz 20 quid and we'll carry your bags'. The poor Japanese guy was really shocked by this. In Japan, younger kids would never ever speak to an older adult they didn't know, they would more likely bow, so I think in all his time in Europe, his biggest culture shock was meeting Crumlin kids :)
    Anyway, just to finish up , if you're a cyclist, and you get somewhere between Sundrive /Stannoway & Captains Road at the other end, you're about 15 min. cycle from town, 5-10 mins from Terenure / Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

braddun wrote: »

Love the comment on that thread that those figures are only for one of Crumlin's Garda stations.

Drive around Crumlin at night and make your judgement based on the number of teenagers roaming loose and boy racers (same applies to any area you're thinking of buying in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A funny incident a few months ago- I had a young Japanese guy staying with me, and he'd got the bus & was dragging 3 big bags up the road. A few local kids (about 10-12 year olds) saw an entrepreneurial opportunity and went up to him and jokingly said 'Hey Mister, giz 20 quid and we'll carry your bags'. The poor Japanese guy was really shocked by this. In Japan, younger kids would never ever speak to an older adult they didn't know, they would more likely bow, so I think in all his time in Europe, his biggest culture shock was meeting Crumlin kids :)
    Anyway, just to finish up , if you're a cyclist, and you get somewhere between Sundrive /Stannoway & Captains Road at the other end, you're about 15 min. cycle from town, 5-10 mins from Terenure / Rathmines

Put nicely. In other words local scumbag kids wanted someone to pay for them to rob him. That brings lazy to a new level.

Advertisement