Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in crumlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

DutchGuy wrote: »
    Hi, we're looking at houses in Crumlin and we're wondering if anyone knows what the area around Glenealy Road/rathdrum Road is like. Thanks.

Very nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

noelg101 wrote: »
    Thanks K,

Sound good. Will do more research, but I think the bad name thing has died out a bit. Seems to be a safe enough place now a days.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Hi all,

Any views on old county road?

Thanks

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Old County Road is generally fine. But the part with the shops is crazy for parking. People seem to abandon their cars and block the street without a second thought. The Old County Bar had a bad reputation a few years ago but I don’t think it attracts much hassle now. The bit from the junction with Bangor Rd down to the Crumlin Rd is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

St. Mary's road area is in a good location for public transport as said above, unless you're travelling to either Ballyfermot or Ballsbridge directions - the 18 route has always been absolutely dire as long as I can remember.

There's a small cul-de-sac of about 20 or so semi-detached houses off St. Mary's road with back gardens adjacent to Pearse park, I think some of the residents have had problems occasionally over the years with local brats throwing stones from the park into gardens/breaking windows but it's probably rare enough occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Old Country Road is quite settled and good transport into town. Don't bother with the Old County Bar. Shearys and The Gate are both decent pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I'm looking for a place soon and notice that there is nearly always availability in Royston village in what seem to be lovely looking departments.
    But the fact that there is always availability has me wondering if the area is a bit Dodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AnStil

Any views on Downpatrick Road, the end near Bangor Road? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NYBAR

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on crumlin. We have been renting on Leinster rd for 4 yrs and are priced out of the d6 market. Looking at clonmacnoise road. I drove around last night for an hour at 9pm and was surprised at the amount of women walkers and dog walkers. Area looked fine. The house is up the top end a couple of doors down off the sundrive road.some of the smaller roads are really creepy and saw on or two guys on bikes I would prob feel nervous around. I want to be safe in my house. Myself and my bf are in our late 20s . I'm from killiney and while it's a "good" area my house act backed onto a road, the other side was a council estate prob built in the 1990s and we frequently had Windows broken.kids would throw stones for the "crack" so I'm under no illusions u get a holes everywhere. Not to mention my neighbour was attached by two young lads with a crow bar on grove road right behind the house in rathmines. In addition in d6 u get a lot of renters so there's prob more ex cons than u would think.there was also a case of a man falsely imprisoning a 12 yr old boy on Leinster rd.

Anyway.....back to the point.buying our first home and this area is really all we can afford. Alternative is renting but I would like to have a house even if it was rented out.and I feel we could rent it if it didn't work out.... Thoughts anyone?

I don't want to be afraid if I'm home alone and my other half is out at night and I don't want to be looking over my shoulder after the taxi leaves me home from a night out coming into my house.

We saw the house on sat and it looked like a really quiet area. Saw another house in the estate and it turned out a well known criminal and been shot on the road last yr and it was the 4th assassination attempt on him. Just very wary since the recession of property buying and being left with something I can't sell.

I live in Crumlin having moved here from Rathmines a couple of years ago. But prior to that I’d lived in Crumlin most of my life. I’m maybe 3 minutes from Clonmacnoise Road.

I’ve spent 25+ years here and not had a single problem but my mother was mugged walking home from the pub one night. That was over 10 years ago and happened on the Old County Road. My Dad and his brother are both in their 70’s and would walk everywhere (pubs, shops etc) and they have never had a problem. Having said that, I’m pretty tall and have always done sport so I wouldn’t be an easy target for a random street urchin.

There are a lot of kids hanging about in the evening especially on the big green at the bottom of Bangor Road. So if the road you’re looking on isn’t a Cul De Sac you’ll probably have a lot of kids passing through after school and in the evening. I find them harmless but they are quite loud.

If you’re getting the bus into town Clonmacnoise Road is a bit of a walk from the Crumlin Road where most of the buses would go down. But is quite close to shops etc. You mention that you’re looking near the Sundrive Rd end so you will be close to the super valu. And it’s maybe a 25 minute walk from there to the Rathmines Road, 10 minutes to the canal.

• Advertisement

Thanks ciaran that's really helpful. How do you find it compared to rathmines? We are looking at no32 and I would get the 9 to work or cycle. I would just be nervous about walking from the bus and people brewking car Windows etc. I'll drive around again but last night and it seemed very quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It's a nice quiet area, NYBAR. Public transport is decent enough, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

I know the area well also . You have the 83 from sundrive road to town also . Grand bus
    Clonmacnoise road is fine but during the summer the run of shops over by the centra has quite a lot of teenagers hanging about .
    Sundrive park is a good park with a good playground , tennis courts and a very good schoolboy football team

Thanks guys. Following the thread I'm off to matt the rashers on Saturday for breakfast. I'm going to take ur advice and call into the neighbours too. Road seems quiet enough but warrents a few more visits!

NYBAR wrote: »
    Thanks ciaran that's really helpful. How do you find it compared to rathmines? We are looking at no32 and I would get the 9 to work or cycle. I would just be nervous about walking from the bus and people brewking car Windows etc. I'll drive around again but last night and it seemed very quiet

It’s much quieter socially. There’s nothing like the Rathmines Road in Crumlin or in Dublin 12. There’s a pub and a restaurant on Sundrive Road but apart from the supermarket everywhere else is closed by 18.00. If I was going out in the evening for tea I’d walk to Starbucks in Rathmines.

I've never seen a car with a broken window when going to work in the morning.

I cycle to work in the morning. Takes me 25 minutes to get to the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

NYBAR wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Following the thread I'm off to matt the rashers on Saturday for breakfast. I'm going to take ur advice and call into the neighbours too. Road seems quiet enough but warrents a few more visits!

Let us know how that goes, I've never been and I keep meaning to!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I live in Crumlin having moved here from Rathmines a couple of years ago. But prior to that I’d lived in Crumlin most of my life. I’m maybe 3 minutes from Clonmacnoise Road.

Hey Ciaran,

With you expertise, if you could, would you mind giving me your 2 cents on living on Sundrive Road?

The Garda station end please!

Thanks in advance if you can!

Hey Ciaran,

With you expertise, if you could, would you mind giving me your 2 cents on living on Sundrive Road?

Socially it's generally fine. But is close-ish to Dolphins Barn. The Barn is not as mad as it once was but it can be slightly intimidating to walk through at night. I've never had a problem and I've walked up Cork St and across the canal 100's of times but it still has a bad rep.

The houses and gardens are very nice and it's very close to the garda station. The downside is that it's a very busy road and the Crumlin Road is even busier - lots of cars 24/7. Very handy for town, loads of buses or a 20 minute bike ride. And there's good shops up the other end of Sundrive.

I'd have no problem recommending it as a place to live. But as a Crumlin boy I might have a built in bias. :)

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Socially it's generally fine. But is close-ish to Dolphins Barn. The Barn is not as mad as it once was but it can be slightly intimidating to walk through at night. I've never had a problem and I've walked up Cork St and across the canal 100's of times but it still has a bad rep.

The houses and gardens are very nice and it's very close to the garda station. The downside is that it's a very busy road and the Crumlin Road is even busier - lots of cars 24/7. Very handy for town, loads of buses or a 20 minute bike ride. And there's good shops up the other end of Sundrive.

I'd have no problem recommending it as a place to live. But as a Crumlin boy I might have a built in bias. :)

Thanking you kindly!

I work near the St. Stephens Green area, so if needs be me & the S.O. can stick to the canal way, walking home late from town.

I know the Barn flats are going to be demolished - will be interesting to see what they do with the land after...

The busy road I hope to sort with decent glazing windows. It suits our needs perfectly so I'm happy to buy there.

I think the nail was hit on the head when it was said you need to name a street not the area to see what it's like.

Good and bad everywhere. The price is very reasonable, and it will do till we're in our mid-thirties at least!

Thanks again - really appreciate your input here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Hey Ciaran,

Referring to the Garda station end can get confusing, since some not from the area may think you're referring to the village. ;)

• Advertisement

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Referring to the Garda station end can get confusing, since some not from the area may think you're referring to the village. ;)

I did specifically say Sundrive Road in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I know the Barn flats are going to be demolished - will be interesting to see what they do with the land after...

I thought Dolphin House is being refurbished? New windows going in last time I went past.

Fatima Mansions is gone alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

No the barn is being knocked and rebuilt. You can see the block nearest the canal bridge is being emptied out. All windows blocked up bar three units.

The Garda Stn end of Sundrive suffers with the school run in the afternoon. (never pass in the morning time) Parents parked on double yellows, four wheels on footpath, in the School Zone. yeah, garda station in direct sight very handy alright.

that garda station is also closed to the public from 9pm overnight too. And have found them to be apathetic.

Nice houses, good size, good gardens. Gate to the Pearse College allotments right there too.

As Ciaran_B said, it's not at all like Rathmines, far quieter indeed.

Hi Guys just wondering what your thoughts on leighlin road. Looking at no 68. Ciaran?

Despite living in Crumlin for a lot of years I've never been on Leiglin Road. I'm sure it's totally fine (I live about 200 metres from there) but I can't speak from any real knowledge.

One word of caution - there is a pub and a take away just at the bottom of the road, close-ish to where number 68 is. And there's always loads of kids and teenagers hanging about there. The pub is complete **** box and seems to attract a super-dodge crowd. I've never had any issues on Kildare Road or Sundrive Road.

Anyone any thoughts on Saul Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭He Who Dares Wins

Any thoughts or advice on Herberton Drive as a place to rent. Will be walking or cycling most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Any thoughts or advice on Herberton Drive as a place to rent. Will be walking or cycling most of the time.

Hi, recently moved in to a place near herberton. Love the area, I work on the north side of the city and cycle in every morning (20mins)
    Also have walked in to town quite a few times either down cork street or the canal, recently timed the canal walk to stephens green – took about 40 mins.
    Also crumlin shopping centre is on your doorstep (tesco / dunnes) and super value is close by on sundrive.
    I did view a couple of places on herberton road before and only concern for me was the traffic, it’s a busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Is there a barber in crumlin village? where exactly is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Skidrow wrote: »
    Is there a barber in crumlin village? where exactly is it?

Franks barbers right beside the village in pub on lisle road.

Advertisement