Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living in crumlin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Leo's Barber up across Rory O'Connors at the Ashleaf is a slight walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martinbe

I grew up in crumlin but left for England 10 years ago. In them 10 years I try to get back twice a year. My mother still lives in the windmill area. I was back last week and I think it’s changed again since I was last back which was last summer. It’s definitely changed for the better. I remember crumlin village from my youth. Streets full of rubbish, Junkies or winos everywhere. I don’t see any of that now. Somebody has cleaned up the village of litter and the Zombies. We went to a place for breakfast it’s called deli-licious. I thought the food was great and the place itself was clean and nice. Had a walk through the village and seen a few new shops. A private dentist, A shop that deals in them new smoking contraptions I think it’s called vaping. The fruit and veg shop was packed to the roof with fresh stuff. From a non-resident of crumlin looking in. I thought the place looked safe, Clean and a busy successful village. Later on I met my cousin who is usually always full of gloom and doom. She told me how gangs of young lads are beating up old people and you cant walk down the road without getting beat up, People are getting shot in the street over drugs. We went to the Village inn for a few drinks on the Saturday and didn’t see any trouble in the pub or walking home, Didn’t actually see anybody when we walked home. Im sure there is a bit of crime but that’s the same with most area.

A few years ago I probably wouldn’t recommend crumlin to live, but now I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoifebg

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a house near Bangor Circle in Crumlin. Any feedback on the area would be great please? I've looked at neighbouring houses, most look nice. I am just wondering what the green area is like on Clonmacnoise road. Would there be much anti social behaviour there?

Crumlin is a great location, close to town. But I'm not from Dublin, so don't know the area that well

Thanks,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Aoifebg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking at buying a house near Bangor Circle in Crumlin. Any feedback on the area would be great please? I've looked at neighbouring houses, most look nice. I am just wondering what the green area is like on Clonmacnoise road. Would there be much anti social behaviour there?

Crumlin is a great location, close to town. But I'm not from Dublin, so don't know the area that well

Thanks,

You'll get dickheads riding their motorbikes across it once in a while - maybe once every two weeks. And there will be a bonfire there at Halloween.

I'd cross that green four or six times a week and never have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 countyguy

HI there,

Sorry for dragging up the old post. There seems to be a bit about Crumlin in other threads, but they all seem a bit old.

Looking to buy in the area and wouldn’t mind hearing people’s opinions on the area now.

Some of the areas I’m considering are:

Stannaway Road
    Kells Road
    Clogher Road
    Monasterboice Road
    Kildare Road
    Slane Road
    Captains Road (the Windmill Road side)

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Been living in D8 for years but not too familiar with D12.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

My 2 cents:

Stannaway Road - No problems here. It's a busy main road. The Sundrive Rd end would be better - close to shops, buses, town etc.

Kells Road - The cul de sac part is fine (declaration: I live here) but the part on the green can be a bit noisy, there does be loads of kids hanging about. And in the last few weeks there have been a few fires lit on the green. There's never any trouble but 20 kids standing around a fire is not something I'm too keen on. Close to the village and Sundrive shops. Easy commute to town and an easy walk to Dublin 6. Good access to motorways

Clogher Road - It depends on what end. The bit down near the canel is fine but the bit in the middle where the transport club is does seem to attract groups of kids hanging about. It's a very busy road though and is quite noisy but the houses are set back off the road so that kind of balances. The houses backing onto the grave yard would be grand, nice views out the back and quiet.

Monasterboice Road - Similar to Kells Rd. Loads of kids about but generally quiet.

Kildare Road - Like Clogher Rd it depends what end. Up near the Childrens Hospital/Star is fine, loads of buses into town and very close to the village. Down the Sundrive Rd end at the green can be a bit messy. There's a pub and a few take aways that seem to always have groups of lads outside.

Slane Road - Never been on it but the two roads it connects (Clogher and Downpatrick) are both fine.

Captains Road (the Windmill Road side) - No first hand experiance but Windmill Rd is fine. Near the park, swimming pool and the village. Not great for buses.

I've no children so I can't offer an opinion on schools etc but I'd have no problem recommending Crumlin as a place to live. I've been here years and never had a problem. It wouldn't be a million miles from Dublin 8 socially - some bits (is St. Michales estate still there?) you would avoid but the good outweighs the bad.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NYBAR

Hi there,

I’ve been living here a few years and love it. I know a lot of friends trying to buy in the area. Kildare Road toward the hospital and Clogher Road(toward the canal) seem to be the most desirable and the most expensive(I’ve been to a lot of viewings with my friend recently who’s trying to buy a house in the area). Best roads for buses into town are Sundrive, Clogher and Crumlin Road if you can position yourself within 7-10 minutes walk of these roads. The estate is largely older people with grown up kids and young couples with no or very small children. Halloween 2016 there were a lot of bonfires on the green but there was only one this year and that was the annual one Halloween night where all the neighbours attend with their kids and it’s supervised by adults. There are also groups of teenagers at times who hang out at various spots, sometimes between 20-30 at a time which can look intimidating but in my experience they are just hanging around messing , giving each other piggy backs and the like. I’ve never seen them cause trouble.

I have another friend bought a house on Captains road two years ago near the kimmage/ravensdale end and he loves it, never had any problems but he says he’s on the good end of the road. As for Windmill road, I go to the recycle bank all the time at the Kildare road end and it seems fine but Ciaran would be better placed to advise.

In terms of schools, there’s loads around, two located just passed Sundrive road, one is a Gaelscoil and one is English speaking, there’s an educate together school in Rathmines and various other primary catholic denominated schools in the area to choose from.

My advice would be to try and find one with a decent sized garden so you can extend down the line(the houses are small) and liv-able if you can. When you go sale agreed, knock into the neighbours and suss them out, they will be only too happy & curious to meet the prospective owner and ask them how long they have been there and ask them what the road & other neighbours are like. It’s a good sign if they have been there years. The neighbours can also advise if the current owners have had any major problems on the block and by that I mean sewage issues, water ingress, anything like that(if one has a problem the entire terrace block will likely have it). Also, ask the agent if/when the house was re-wired, if there has been woodworm and when it was treated. If that goes no where, the neighbours may be able to advise. Woodworms common in the houses, most have been treated but the surveyor and Rentokil will scare the crap out of you and try charge extortionate prices for investigation and treatment. I got a quote of around 4k. Turned out it had been treated but we treated it again and my other half along with a friend did the job for us for under €150 plus spent about c€500 to buy new insulation after they pulled it out the old stuff to get at the beams and maybe another €125 on a skip, it’s a dirty job but can be done yourself no problem.

I hope that’s helpful. Best of luck with the search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

I bought on Clogher and love the area. I came from renting a flat in Rathmines so was used to being close to town and Clogher is great for town also. 30 mins walk to Stephens Green. 20/25 to Camden.

As mentioned above, Clogher is one of the more popular roads in Crumlin, especially closer to the canal. Some of the houses recently have sold for very high prices.

We're kind of at the middle part of the road. Very quiet apart from traffic, I do notice the groups of kids hanging around at the Spar from time to time but haven't seen any trouble.

We have great neighbors.

Overall we are very happy here and now with a little one on the way schools will be on the agenda soon :) if anyone has advice on particular schools in the area feel free to PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Boy's school-Scoil Iosagain, literally around the corner:

http://scoiliosagain.com/

Girl's school-The Marist, literally on Clogher:

http://maristprimaryschool.ie/

Or, the Loreto on Crumlin Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭rock27

Hi NYBAR, did you end up going with Clonmacnoise Rd in the end? Looking at areas at the moment and don't know a thing about that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

My mates bought on Clonmacnoise Rd facing onto the big circular park and they seem to like it up there. Anytime I've been up there (including recently at 3am on a Saturday) there hasn't been a squeak around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Bought on Downpatrick Road off Sundrive Road recently. Area seems fine. Older and quiet. Neighbours are fine. Lot of new peole too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

rock27 wrote: »
    Hi NYBAR, did you end up going with Clonmacnoise Rd in the end? Looking at areas at the moment and don't know a thing about that road.

I wouldn't live there tbh. Crumlin has a very rough element and that's right in the middle. I'd definitely consider somewhere like Drimnagh ahead of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I wouldn't live there tbh. Crumlin has a very rough element and that's right in the middle. I'd definitely consider somewhere like Drimnagh ahead of it

Start a 'Living in Drimnagh' thread then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Drimmagh is no better than Crumlin & Crumlin is no worse than Drimmagh.

Very similar areas.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Drimmagh is no better than Crumlin & Crumlin is no worse than Drimmagh.

Very similar areas.

I've lived in Crumlin and am currently living in Drimnagh. Apart from the area around Brickfield Park, Drimnagh is very quiet. Crumlin is crawling with lowlife. I'd never live there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KatieD508

Hi All,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but we are looking at buying a house on Cashel Road at the moment & I came across this and others from a while back saying it was a bit of a no go area.

Just wondering if opinions have since changed in recent years seeing as many new first time buyers etc are moving to the area, or would Cashel Road itself still be fairly rough?

We'd really like Crumlin but the prices are rising fast & this may be the only house we could actually afford there. Just wondering if we'd come to regret it.

Any opinions appreciated.

KatieD508 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but we are looking at buying a house on Cashel Road at the moment & I came across this and others from a while back saying it was a bit of a no go area.

Just wondering if opinions have since changed in recent years seeing as many new first time buyers etc are moving to the area, or would Cashel Road itself still be fairly rough?

We'd really like Crumlin but the prices are rising fast & this may be the only house we could actually afford there. Just wondering if we'd come to regret it.

Crumlin locals wont like me saying it, but I would avoid Crumlin completely. Most of the residents are decent, working class people, but there is a significant scum element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Hi All, ...

i live 1 min off cashel road, nr. stannaway. been here 15 years and very happy, never been burgled(touch wood), only incident was a couple of years ago when some teenagers were nicking stuff from people's sheds/back gardens.
    have a look at the neighbours' houses and back gardens to see if they're well kept, if they are then it's usually a good sign. And if you're still nervous, you could be brazen and just ring on your next door neighbour's door & introduce yourself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Crumlin locals wont like me saying it, but I would avoid Crumlin completely. Most of the residents are decent, working class people, but there is a significant scum element.

Have you lived there?

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Have you lived there?

Yes, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Yes, unfortunately.

Would you mind sharing whereabouts you lived in Crumlin?

Your sweeping generalizations are not representative of the area from my experience and are not very helpful to people seeking advice.

boris1234 wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing whereabouts you lived in Crumlin?

Your sweeping generalizations are not representative of the area from my experience and are not very helpful to people seeking advice.

Its not a sweeping generalization. I lived on Stannaway Road. Had motorbikes and cars burnt out right outside my house. Teenagers dealing drugs in the park in broad daylight. Car windows smashed. would never live there again. What's not helpful is the touchy locals pretending that Crumlin is very quiet without any problems. You're giving people who are going to be spending a lot of money a false picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Its not a sweeping generalization. I lived on Stannaway Road. Had motorbikes and cars burnt out right outside my house. Teenagers dealing drugs in the park in broad daylight. Car windows smashed. would never live there again. What's not helpful is the touchy locals pretending that Crumlin is very quiet without any problems. You're giving people who are going to be spending a lot of money a false picture.

It definitely is a sweeping generalization. I wouldn't recommend Stannaway to people. Especially the end towards Captain's Road. But Crumlin is a big place. Away from the Village is very quiet. I lived down towards the canal near Clogher Road and never saw any trouble. Sundrive Road is a great road and some of the roads off Crumlin Road would be decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭FakePie

Crumlin seems quite affordable compared to other spots - plus it's on the Luas Line.

Is it fairly accurate to say that say, renting a room would be quite a bit cheaper there than other spots in Dublin?

FakePie wrote: »
    Crumlin seems quite affordable compared to other spots - plus it's on the Luas Line.

Is it fairly accurate to say that say, renting a room would be quite a bit cheaper there than other spots in Dublin?

It's not on the luas line.

It's not on the luas line.

The rooms I was looking at were right between the bluebell luas stop and crumlin boxing club.

About 400/500 meters from the Luas?

But it is more affordable - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Hi All,

I live on Cashel road - at the Kildare road end. Have lived there for over 12 years now and have brought up kids there. Crumlin has been very good to us and I have had many more issues with anti-social behaviour when living in Ballinteer for example. Maybe we're just lucky. We never intended on making Crumlin our long term home but buying at the top of market etc. has meant we haven't moved on. My biggest issue with the area is how poorly it is maintained by the council and in some cases individuals. There's a grotty green beside us that with some minimal investment could be a lovely feature instead its an eyesore. Litter and dog poop is also common. The road and pavements are that horrible poured concrete which makes traffic noisey and not very nice for kids to play/roller stake/cycle on. Fairly minor issues. Our neighbours are friendly and helpful.
    We had concerns before we bought based on reputation. We often sat in our car on Friday nights trying to get a sense on the place. Might be worth doing if you are unsure. What I find weird about Crumlin is that you can turn a corner and the vibe or feel change. For example, there seems a very visual difference between Cashel Road and Derry Park - hope I haven't offended anyone.

All in all though being honest we would move to a "nicer" area if we could.
    Feel free to PM me if you want more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

sabat wrote: »
    What kind of people live in Crumlin and what would their average income level be? How much of a mortgage would that enable them to get under the new central bank rules? There's your answer as to how much the houses are worth-I can't ever see them going much above €250K.

Interesting comment to read 3 years later.

Advertisement