Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lough bray (brae)

Options
  • 27-12-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any info on this place? Fish stock? Club waters? Fishable? Any info greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Sorry guys, Shoulda done a bit more reading up on this place! No fishing allowed, sad face, but maybe this thread should be moved to the mysteries of the unexplained forum. I read that in 1963 two guys claim to have seen some sort of creature about 10 12 meters in circumference raise it's head about 3 foot from waters surface then silently sank back under! Some also claim it's "botttomless". Now I really want to wet a line on there!!

http://www.irelandbyways.com/ireland-routes/byroute-3/byroute-hubs-gazetteer/

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Went swimming up there last summer when it was warm. Some fish rising around the shore line in the distance. It gets very deep quite quickly. I'd love to fish it one day.

So there are fish in, it'd make ya wonder what they are and just how big they could be! 6 oz weight, loose depth knot over the float and fire it into the middle of the water, soon find out how deep it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

PRIVATE :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yes its private but there's a public walkway all around the two lakes so, to me, it seems that it's only some activities that are prohibited! Maybe the land owners know something about that "mysterious creature" I read about and want it kept secret!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

The land, the lake's upper and lower, and the walk ways are private, they turn a blind eye to walking but fishing and swimming are a defiantly a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I'm aware that this is slightly threadnomancy but while Lower Lough Bray is private, Upper Lough Bray is included in the catalogue of Wicklow National Park waters. While "Power-boating, water-skiing and jet skiing" and other activities of that ilk are prohibited, no mention is made of swimming or, more importantly for this forum, fishing.

The primary issue with fishing Lough Bray (15th Mar - 30th Sept) tends to be wind for fly fishers, as it comes down over the lip of the cliffs fairly strongly on most days. While I imagine bait fishing might be more successful, it's also a popular training lake for Triathlon folk and care would need to be taken to avoid inadvertently landing a 200lb angry man.

Advertisement