Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple file sharing question

Options
  • 27-12-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I've just formatted and installed windows 7 home premium onto two laptops on the same network and same workgroup (WORKGROUP). No passwords. Why is it when I click on one of the computer names in the network folder (I want to transfer files) it asks me for a username and password to log on to the other computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I've just formatted and installed windows 7 home premium onto two laptops on the same network and same workgroup (WORKGROUP). No passwords. Why is it when I click on one of the computer names in the network folder (I want to transfer files) it asks me for a username and password to log on to the other computer?

Because the accounts are unique to each machine unlike computers which are part of a domain

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you join both machines to a HomeGroup you don't have to worry about user accounts at all. It gives you very little control over who can access what, but if you're not concerned about that it's the easiest way.

Advertisement