Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Circuit breaker tripping

• 27-12-2014 12:53pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am on a breakdown where the heating was tripping circuit breaker. When I arrived and tried it the boiler ran for a few minutes before cutting out. Because the system was cold and it cutout so soon in the boiler stat I suspected the circulating pump. No heat going to rads. No movement from bleed screw. Live and neutral ok to pump.
    Is it ok to suspect pump and change it? I don't normally do much at the wet end, but have on occasion.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When you say no movement at the bleed screw, I presume you mean that there is no movement on the end of the pump shaft and with power going to it the breakers trip. If thats the case throw in a new pump.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

K.Flyer wrote: »
    When you say no movement at the bleed screw, I presume you mean that there is no movement on the end of the pump shaft and with power going to it the breakers trip. If thats the case throw in a new pump.

Yes. No sign of any shaft movement. Breaker no longer trips, but still no shaft movement with power at pump connector. No sign if burning, but a slight smell of burning. I don't have a pump and a few plumbers that I do work for aren't answering phone. I have borrowed an oil filled electric rad for him and along with a dry stove and immersion, he will be ok until Monday.
    Thanks for replying KFlyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Wearb wrote: »
    I am on a breakdown where the heating was tripping circuit breaker. When I arrived and tried it the boiler ran for a few minutes before cutting out. Because the system was cold and it cutout so soon in the boiler stat I suspected the circulating pump. No heat going to rads. No movement from bleed screw. Live and neutral ok to pump.
    Is it ok to suspect pump and change it? I don't normally do much at the wet end, but have on occasion.

I'm just back home after simular problem.
    Lovely old valves that do work + no rusting.
    Simple replacment of pump.

Hate the valves that were on a simular tread last week. (Leaky type)

scudo2 wrote: »
    I'm just back home after simular problem.
    Lovely old valves that do work + no rusting.
    Simple replacment of pump.

Hate the valves that were on a simular tread last week. (Leaky type)

Yep. Old slotted valves on this one also. Btw do you know if the wheel type pump valves are a direct swap? i.e. Are they the same length, to fit without any pipe cutting or extending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Yep. Old slotted valves on this one also. Btw do you know if the wheel type pump valves are a direct swap? i.e. Are they the same length, to fit without any pipe cutting or extending?

If the valves work and don't weep leave them.
    New gate valve type take up a bit more length, so you'd have to cut the pipe a bit.
    The good old ball valves had a screwdriver slot about the size of a 20cent coin, rarealy leaks !!!
    Bad type is smaller.

• Advertisement

It all depends on the old valves. Some of the older valves can be longer, the newer ones tend to be a bit shorter, which will involve nipping a bit of pipe off.
    Either way, if you are changing them its a drain down anyway, so have a 310 to hand if you need to cut the pipe back to get the correct distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It all depends on the old valves. Some of the older valves can be longer, the newer ones tend to be a bit shorter, which will involve nipping a bit of pipe off.
    Either way, if you are changing them its a drain down anyway, so have a 310 to hand if you need to cut the pipe back to get the correct distance.

What's the 310 for?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's the 310 for?

I presume it's in case a pipe needs to be lengthened.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's the 310 for?

Occasionally you find what I refer to as a longer isolation valve which uses a 311 (similar to the picture) on a pump. When removed the gate valve type are too short, so you need to add in a piece of copper to make it up.
    pump_unions_Watermarked_single_v1.0__20809.1405444836.450.800.png?c=2

Why would it need to be lengthened? The new valves are longer than the standard ball valve types.

• Advertisement

Occasionally you find what I refer to as a longer isolation valve which uses a 311 (similar to the picture) on a pump. When removed the gate valve type are too short, so you need to add in a piece of copper to make it up.
    pump_unions_Watermarked_single_v1.0__20809.1405444836.450.800.png?c=2

Very true indeed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Love my electric pipe freezer!

DGOBS wrote: »
    Love my electric pipe freezer!

How long does it take to freeze 1" tony?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

About 20mins. But when your sitting there with no new set of pump valves I wouldn't care if it was an hour, would normally spend the time cleaning and servicing the boiler etc while waiting for it.

But useless if there is even slight water movement from a small leak

Advertisement