Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old funiture store john street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

langton is finally putting the nightclub in there

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

miece16 wrote: »
    langton is finally putting the nightclub in there

Did he not get rejected from the council before for there. It's zoned retail so would have get it rezoned before applying for permission again. Be strange if langtons bought it before it was even rezoned

On another note I was passing through town earlier and seen the old bank at the end of the parade is after been let. Anyone know what goin to happen in there. It's all ready after been renovated. The last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

linny wrote: »
    On another note I was passing through town earlier and seen the old bank at the end of the parade is after been let. Anyone know what goin to happen in there. It's all ready after been renovated. The last few months

I heard Dore's Opticians so nothing very exciting at all unfortunately.

Great to see this is after been bought, Wonder who bought it? And what will go in here its a massive space, And near mac donagh junction.
    http://www.daft.ie/commercial/45-6-john-street-kilkenny-kilkenny/183830/

Hopefully something exciting. Kilkenny retail badly needs something new in my opinion.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    I heard Dore's Opticians so nothing very exciting at all unfortunately.
    Dores bought it but they must of let it to have signs in window

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I thought it was Dores Restaurant bought it,and opening a restaurant there ?

KK4SAM wrote: »
    I thought it was Dores Restaurant bought it,and opening a restaurant there ?

no its definitely Dores the opticians that own it
    http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=13990054&LASiteID=0

Did he not get rejected from the council before for there. It's zoned retail so would have get it rezoned before applying for permission again. Be strange if langtons bought it before it was even rezoned

Sounds like Kilkenny Council alright. Rather leave it rot as a hideous monstrosity than have a productive business there.

Perfect spot for a Tesco Express or a Dealz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Langtons never bought or never had an interest in that building before. When the rumour went around town years ago that he was opening a new place in the furniture shop on John street, it was Bridies - that was a second hand furniture shop.
    Hope something opens there soon though, it's been empty for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

He was having problems with regard to archirlogical crap with the planning( so close to the castle). Prob said fkcu you to the council and is now renting it.

He was having problems with regard to archirlogical crap with the planning( so close to the castle). Prob said fkcu you to the council and is now renting it.

Which is ironic considering the lovely hotel building that was demolished to construct that monstrosity of a thing that's there now. With the same Council's blessing back in the 70s/80s whenever it was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The Imperial Hotel. It was indeed a fine building

Elliots-corner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Which is ironic considering the lovely hotel building that was demolished to construct that monstrosity of a thing that's there now. With the same Council's blessing back in the 70s/80s whenever it was built.

good to see that maybe they are learning from the mistakes of the past so?

hi5 wrote: »
    The Imperial Hotel. It was indeed a fine building

Elliots-corner.jpg

That's a nice photo Hi 5, can that be got anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I've no idea Odyssey2005, I got it from here..

http://www.kilkennycity.ie/eng/Services/Use_of_Civic_Spaces/

Many thanks
    Odyssey

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

What's done is done. No point dwelling on something from the 1970s.

to answer my own question
    confirmed today in the Kilkenny people that KBC bank is going to open there, I suppose its good news for Kilkenny as there only located in Dublin with one bank in each of the other cities cork, galway and limerick

• Advertisement

to answer my own question
    confirmed today in the Kilkenny people that KBC bank is going to open there, I suppose its good news for Kilkenny as there only located in Dublin with one bank in each of the other cities cork, galway and limerick

That's great news, a vote of confidence in Kilkenny as a key regional and business centre.

Micheal Guineys have a planning application on the Kilkenny people today, For the former greenwood furniture store on john street, This will be great news for john street when this store opens

Micheal Guineys have a planning application on the Kilkenny people today, For the former greenwood furniture store on john street, This will be great news for john street when this store opens

Seriously? Great shop for an ole bargain! Often been in the one on Talbot st.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It would be great for upper John Street, especially when a space of that size isn't being utilised. Although I'd imagine it would have a big knock on effect for Padmore and Barnes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Interesting development. Great to see companies coming to Kilkenny and even better seeing a company locating in one of the main shopping streets. The more businesses that can be got in between McDonagh Junction, John Street, PAtrick Street, High Street, Parliment Street and Dean Street the better. This is our core shopping areas and we need to develop.

Threadhead wrote: »
    It would be great for upper John Street, especially when a space of that size isn't being utilised. Although I'd imagine it would have a big knock on effect for Padmore and Barnes.

Ah different market entirely. Guineys more like Penneys or Heatons.
    Not sure how well Padmore and Barnes does, never seems busy the odd time I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I hope it gets the go-ahead. It's such a huge unit to be left idle.
    Hope Dealz and HMV start up aswell - all these shops choosing Kilkenny coupled with the new glanbia plant etc. can really improve things for our city.

Where is the Planning Permission on Council website? Had a look and couldn't find it?

1984baby wrote: »
    I hope it gets the go-ahead. It's such a huge unit to be left idle.
    Hope Dealz and HMV start up aswell - all these shops choosing Kilkenny coupled with the new glanbia plant etc. can really improve things for our city.

More of a benefit to Waterford/south Kilkenny. Still great though. Glanbia employ a lot of their professional staff around the city, they have 4 locations plus Ballyragget plant. And those numbers have grown a lot, as have other around the city. Heard VHI have over 500 now.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote:
    Where is the Planning Permission on Council website? Had a look and couldn't find it?

I seen it in the Kilkenny people. In the planning section

Advertisement