Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

buggy beag wrote: »
    Anybody hear anything eamon o shea being approached by galway?
    Makes sense - they'd be foolish not to - he'd be foolish to take on that mess though...the pressure on that Galway team will be IMMENSE for the next two to three years after those shenanigans...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Makes sense - they'd be foolish not to - he'd be foolish to take on that mess though...the pressure on that Galway team will be IMMENSE for the next two to three years after those shenanigans...

Ya exactly.with living and working up there they would be mad not to but like you said why would he want to.he looks a man who enjoys the quiet life and good spirited teams not the inter county warfare thats a regular occurence up there.heres hoping he would have more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

I am not a fan of EOS's managment style but he will never manage anyone but Tipp. He loves Tipp too much and he would dread having to manage Galway to victory against Tipp.
    Could see him training a north Tipp club.

I am not a fan of EOS's managment style but he will never manage anyone but Tipp. He loves Tipp too much and he would dread having to manage Galway to victory against Tipp.
    Could see him training a north Tipp club.

His son was playing for a Galway Vocational schools team a couple of years ago iirc. I'd imagine if he is living and working in Galway its not beyond the realms of possibility. If Galway got so easily frustrated with Cunningham then I can't imagine Eamon will manage to avoid the firing line.

As attractive as EOS brand of hurling is it has yielded no all Ireland's but could be tailor made to get the best of Flynn and Joe, etc. In an era where space is smothered as quick as its created though I'm not sure they would do much better

His son was playing for a Galway Vocational schools team a couple of years ago iirc. I'd imagine if he is living and working in Galway its not beyond the realms of possibility. If Galway got so easily frustrated with Cunningham then I can't imagine Eamon will manage to avoid the firing line.

As attractive as EOS brand of hurling is it has yielded no all Ireland's but could be tailor made to get the best of Flynn and Joe, etc. In an era where space is smothered as quick as its created though I'm not sure they would do much better

your right, but I will be very surprised if he took it or any serious contender took it for that matter.

Galway lost this year because in the second half against Kilkenny the players crumbled. The pressure got to them, sure KK improved in that second half, but Galway were missing easy chances, silly fouling, a lot of errors.
    And how do they react to that loss, by showing pure drive and commitment to get Cunningham out.
    If only they had shown some of that in the second half against KK they would be All Ireland Champs now.

• Advertisement

It won an All-Ireland in the year of 2010 if i'm not mistaken - O'Shea was hurling coach/trainer.

O'Shea's coaching did a far better job than Declan Ryan and Co to keep up with KK... - I don't think people realise how well Tipp have to done to keep up when you look at other teams and the whippings they've been getting. I think we're about to find out...

A few lads talk about pressure and space being covered - players enact that - coaches give them the game plan. And, Cody and co have a fabulous bunch of players do it. Tipp lost more games to KK because their squad is not as strong - simple as. And, that's been proven time and time again. People return to this logic of the manager because he changes more than the players - the players remain consistent and the supporter has to be believe, that don't make it right though. The biggest danger KK have is keeping that drive - they've succeeded against all odds but it will change soon - it can't keep going... but Cody and co are doing one hell of a job to keep it going

Galway didn't crumble or Tipp - Kilkenny took it - gripped it and made it theirs by pure will. But they have the better players - stronger and more stamina - proven time and again. You can have all the 'if onlys' you want but it doesn't work like that - Ultimately, KK have better players and a better management team and better structures in producing players. And, a sole commitment and focus on hurling.

It won an All-Ireland in the year of 2010 if i'm not mistaken - O'Shea was hurling coach/trainer.

O'Shea's coaching did a far better job than Declan Ryan and Co to keep up with KK... - I don't think people realise how well Tipp have to done to keep up when you look at other teams and the whippings they've been getting. I think we're about to find out...

A few lads talk about pressure and space being covered - players enact that - coaches give them the game plan. And, Cody and co have a fabulous bunch of players do it. Tipp lost more games to KK because their squad is not as strong - simple as. And, that's been proven time and time again. People return to this logic of the manager because he changes more than the players - the players remain consistent and the supporter has to be believe, that don't make it right though. The biggest danger KK have is keeping that drive - they've succeeded against all odds but it will change soon - it can't keep going... but Cody and co are doing one hell of a job to keep it going

Galway didn't crumble or Tipp - Kilkenny took it - gripped it and made it theirs by pure will. But they have the better players - stronger and more stamina - proven time and again. You can have all the 'if onlys' you want but it doesn't work like that - Ultimately, KK have better players and a better management team and better structures in producing players. And, a sole commitment and focus on hurling.

But in 2010 we had better players and in 2013 Clare had better players.
    Pure tosh, the current standard in players between counties is very similar and Kilkennys Walter Walsh and Pendergast are examples of this.
    The reality is Cody is the key to all KK achieve. He is a dictator who controls everything and places KK above everyone.
    Remove cody and KK are mere equals.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Commercials v Nemo Rangers fixed for Mallow @ 2 on Sunday week . Equidistant as you can get I suppose .

But in 2010 we had better players and in 2013 Clare had better players.
    Pure tosh, the current standard in players between counties is very similar and Kilkennys Walter Walsh and Pendergast are examples of this.
    The reality is Cody is the key to all KK achieve. He is a dictator who controls everything and places KK above everyone.
    Remove cody and KK are mere e
    Yeah, one man makes all the difference...come on now! It's to simplistic a point - it's only one part of it. To say there is very little between the counties and one man makes all the difference..., just no.

Assuming we have no retirees, the Tipp panel will have a different look about it in 2016. Gleeson aside, the core of young minor and under 21 winners from 06-10 are now the elder statesmen on the team.

Can Seamus Kennedy, Bill Maher , or John Meagher now step up to the mark? John Meagher is one such hurler that would be an addition if he stayed free of injury. We also can consider Mouse Dwyer who suffered a bad injury on his debut in Dublin last year, Ronan and Mikey Breen will no doubt use this years experience to their advantage as will John Mcgrath.

Ive no doubt there is good personnel there but im doubting the calibre there to lead them.

Can anyone confirm if Bonnar has played midfield for Lorrha before?
    Given John Meagher's run of injuries the answer would have to be no. I'd love to see it but doesn't look good. That said, James Barry had a horrible run of injuries and manage to get back on course and reinvent himself. Doesn't happen often, but, maybe, John has the stuff to do it - he'd be a serious addition.

Steven O'Brien would be a magnificent addition if he got to three years under his belt within the hurling squad. Immense athlete - could take the Fennelly crown. But, we have to pull him away from the football...

I like Seamus Kennedy - loose marker - but, could do something for us at midfield if he got a few years on the tipp panel. Another that needs to be pulled away from football though...

Bill Maher has the pedigree - has great potential. Mouse might be light when we look to the KK standard- but if he can build on last year - has every chance

John McGrath is a proper hurler - i've been banging on about on here for years.

Bonnar can do a great job at midfield - no bother to him. He'd be great there.

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Alan Tynan, [/font]Tommy Nolan, Brian McGrath, and Fahy might be capable of the fast track to inter-county - but, we'll see...

• Advertisement

Yeah, one man makes all the difference...come on now! It's to simplistic a point - it's only one part of it. To say there is very little between the counties and one man makes all the difference..., just no.

I have never been so certain of something.
    In 2013 Cody was in poor health KK were not the same animal.
    In 2010 Liam sheedy was up to his standard.
    I have no doubt Liam sheedy regrets leaving Tipp and he has unfinished business with us.

I know you sat what ifs are pointless, but what state would Tipp be in if Sheedy had not left us in 2010. I have no doubts we would have won 3 or more All Irelands.
    When Sheedy left in 2010 I was very downbeat because managers like him are rare and priceless.

cody is more important to Kilkenny than any of the great players he managed because Cody Is operating on a level of hurling intelligence that is
    frightening.
    since 2010 cody and sheedy should have been like 2 Roman Generals battling over who would be Emperor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seamus Kennedy has committed to the hurlers for next year supposedly Steven o brien is set commit also. Good boost. Ryan getting plenty of work done in the off season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Seamus Kennedy has committed to the hurlers for next year supposedly Steven o brien is set commit also. Good boost. Ryan getting plenty of work done in the off season.
    Well, if that's true. I'd be absolutely delighted. Terrible for the footballers, magnificient for the future of the hurling panel. They'll need a while but if they give it time they'll be great additions.

I see Brian Horgan has been brought onto the hurling backroom team.

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Ryan is currently finalising his panel ahead of a fitness test pencilled in for 28 November.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]A quote from 42.ie:
    [/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The manager also insisted that he did not speak to Tipperary s retired stars about their plans for 2016, although he was aware of potential departures.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Conor O Mahony, James Woodlock, Shane McGrath and Lar Corbett all pulled the curtain down on their Tipp careers in recent days.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Ryan told the Nenagh Guardian: The less the guys heard from me, the better. They needed to make up their own minds in terms of their own motivation as they need to want to play for themselves, their family and their county, not just for me. [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Ryan is currently finalising his panel ahead of a fitness test pencilled in for 28 November.[/font]
    [/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The manager also insisted that he did not speak to Tipperary s retired stars about their plans for 2016, although he was aware of potential departures.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Conor O Mahony, James Woodlock, Shane McGrath and Lar Corbett all pulled the curtain down on their Tipp careers in recent days.[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Ryan told the Nenagh Guardian: The less the guys heard from me, the better. They needed to make up their own minds in terms of their own motivation as they need to want to play for themselves, their family and their county, not just for me. [/font]

I kinda got the impression in lars case that he'd have retired a few years ago but when eos became manager that he'd give it one more push because of the belief they had in each other..

Sad the way the game is going. People wanna see the stuff lar could do-that point from the sideline in thurles and against the cats in the 2014 season were beauty. Would wonder would he be seen as a 'luxury' in the eyes of current inter county managers for not fitting a certain system....

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

In hurling the lure of the Celtic Cross is great, I have no doubt that the Cats will win McCarthy in 2016 and 2017.

Some of our dual stars might get more satisfaction out of being part of a team that got our footballers out of Division 3 and into Division 2.

Just wondering what the new management's approach will be to dual players.

I hope that it will be one of tolerance.

I would like to see Kennedy play football in the early stages of next years league.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    In hurling the lure of the Celtic Cross is great, I have no doubt that the Cats will win McCarthy in 2016 and 2017.

Some of our dual stars might get more satisfaction out of being part of a team that got our footballers out of Division 3 and into Division 2.

Just wondering what the new management's approach will be to dual players.

I hope that it will be one of tolerance.

I would like to see Kennedy play football in the early stages of next years league.
    Reread the previous page - Kennedy is committed to hurling next year and O'Brien is thinking over an invitation to join the hurlers. I don't think Kennedy would have been so quick to go if O'Riordan had stayed but why would O'Brien stay with the footballers if they're losing their best young players and the hurlers have more of a chance of silverware- must be a thought running through his head...

digzy wrote: »
    [/font]

I kinda got the impression in lars case that he'd have retired a few years ago but when eos became manager that he'd give it one more push because of the belief they had in each other..

Sad the way the game is going. People wanna see the stuff lar could do-that point from the sideline in thurles and against the cats in the 2014 season were beauty. Would wonder would he be seen as a 'luxury' in the eyes of current inter county managers for not fitting a certain system....
    Well if you look at someone like Seamus Callanan, he had been put in the full forward with the rest of the team orchestrated around him to give him as many one on one with the full back and chances as possible. O'Shea put every confidence in him and reinvented him - it was far cry from when Declan Ryan pulled him aside before a championship game in training and said 'You're going great, Seamie. But, you're not starting.'

I think there is always room for marquee players but the day of not working and putting in a defensive shift is gone. I think Lar improved that immensely in the second half of his career. It was quite poor up until that point.

We'd see an awful lot more spectacular scores and play if the GAA could get rid of the dark arts out of the game - the off the ball stuff - in particular, jersey holding/tugging - helmet puling - and hand on the arm of the forward player

• Advertisement

Reread the previous page - Kennedy is committed to hurling next year and O'Brien is thinking over an invitation to join the hurlers. I don't think Kennedy would have been so quick to go if O'Riordan had stayed but why would O'Brien stay with the footballers if they're losing their best young players and the hurlers have more of a chance of silverware- must be a thought running through his head...

Do you mean to suggest that if Clonmel Commercials were in the club final on St. Patrick's Day that he would not be part of the team!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Do you mean to suggest that if Clonmel Commercials were in the club final on St. Patrick's Day that he would not be part of the team!
    Where did I suggest that? You were commenting on inter-county and I continued that thread...

Well if you look at someone like Seamus Callanan, he had been put in the full forward with the rest of the team orchestrated around him to give him as many one on one with the full back and chances as possible.

didn't work out to well for him in the munster final!!

while I appreciate the fitness and tactics of the modern game it just doesn't appeal to me so much. Do you think the 2010 version of Lar would've gotten any of his all ireland goals against waterford of kilkenny as they set up at the moment? not a hope.

Tbf The Galway mgmt were awful to leave callinan-brilliant as he was on the day-to express himself like that. There'll not be too managers of the top tier teams in 2016 as naive as anthony cunningham.

i'd be shocked if ryan doesnt make serious changes to our defensive set up.
    Looking at the first all ireland in 2014 we should've the cats dead and buried.
    it was hard not to single out any player above another's performance level, they were so good, yet we shipped serious scores. there's more to defensive play than the spectacular stuff paidi maher does. it's the unseen stuff that's important too and maybe untill the refs pick up on the 'dark arts' we ought to front up a bit better in that regard.

A 4 point win for St Marys minors today. Congratulations to their players and management

H'on the South! :D

in that event i think his club will have first choice

I'll give you any odds you like he won't face that particular dilemma ;)

digzy wrote: »
    I'll give you any odds you like he won't face that particular dilemma ;)

Ah you never know. They could be the football version of Mount Leinster Rangers in the waiting. :)

Ah you never know. They could be the football version of Mount Leinster Rangers in the waiting. :)

Hope so.

Better for the footballers to get promotion in the league, as most shrewd observers say that Kilkenny will be unbeatable for the next two years.

• Advertisement

Great to see Ciaran McDonald on the field and playing his part in the Irish / AFL win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement