Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

St Marys won the County minor A hurling title today,fair achievement for a South team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Xenophile wrote: »
    Reread the previous page - Kennedy is committed to hurling next year and O'Brien is thinking over an invitation to join the hurlers. I don't think Kennedy would have been so quick to go if O'Riordan had stayed but why would O'Brien stay with the footballers if they're losing their best young players and the hurlers have more of a chance of silverware- must be a thought running through his head...

Better for the footballers to get promotion in the league, as most shrewd observers say that Kilkenny will be unbeatable for the next two years.
    Yes, that would be better for the footballers. But, that is of absolutely no concern to Tipp hurling - who will trying to every game and championship - and trying to improve for the future - next year regardless of their chances...

While KK are very much favourites for the foreseeable future - no team is unbeatable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

While KK are very much favourites for the foreseeable future - no team is unbeatable

Would Tipperary be unbeatable without the need to poach the footballers?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Great to see that TG4 will be showing the Nemo V Clonmel Commercials game next Sunday! :)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think you need to get over your obsession with footballers playing hurling.
    For all the grief given to our hurlers none of them would be there if they weren't committed to it whole heartedly. Just look at the sacrifices they must make.

I appreciate you're prone to some bizarre musings, but any 'footballer' who commits to hurling isn't being forced. He wouldn't last if his dedication wasn't there. They switch because they want. It's an amateur sport. Whatever sports they choose best of luck to them. Get over it...

Top sides like the Tipp hurlers can't have lads dividing their efforts between different sports.youre either in or your out...

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    Just look at the sacrifices they must make.

Any player who thinks he is making a sacrifice should not be on the field. And no manager should look for sacrifices. They should only be there if they want to be there otherwise I am sure they have plenty of other things to be doing, for instance concentrating on their careers, spending time with family, playing golf, etc. I just don't buy into this over done idea of sacrifice constantly mentioned especially on radio.

This is a free country where people have choices if they feel that they are being coerced they should do a Stephen Ireland on it and happily walk away.

Whether the players know it or not they are only doing what they want to be doing. Sport is not about sacrifice, people are motivated differently, for instance, fulfillment, glory, friendships, ego, fun, acknowledgment in their communities, fame, and very few by fortune, So just leave sacrifice out of it. I don't want to pay to watch people making sacrifices.

Any player who thinks he is making a sacrifice should not be on the field. And no manager should look for sacrifices. They should only be there if they want to be there otherwise I am sure they have plenty of other things to be doing, for instance concentrating on their careers, spending time with family, playing golf, etc. I just don't buy into this over done idea of sacrifice constantly mentioned especially on radio.

This is a free country where people have choices if they feel that they are being coerced they should do a Stephen Ireland on it and happily walk away.

Whether the players know it or not they are only doing what they want to be doing. Sport is not about sacrifice, people are motivated by differently, for instance, fulfillment, glory, friendships, ego, fun, acknowledgment in their communities, fame, and very few by fortune, So just leave sacrifice out of it. I don't want to pay to watch people making sacrifices.

Fair enough. You don't think inter county players make sacrifices :rolleyes:

Fair enough. You don't think inter county players make sacrifices :rolleyes:

No, not at all !

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tipp has a strong football tradition kilkenny dont , most of the tipp hurlers play a scerten level of competitive club football let alone inter county , kilkenny gaa is focused fully on one game and makes no bones of it thats there thing you cant copy another county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tipp haven't been unbeatable and wouldn't be "unbeatable" even if the guys playing gaelic who are also talented hurlers concentrated solely on hurling

Whether the players know it or not they are only doing what they want to be doing. Sport is not about sacrifice, people are motivated differently, for instance, fulfillment, glory, friendships, ego, fun, acknowledgment in their communities, fame, and very few by fortune, So just leave sacrifice out of it. I don't want to pay to watch people making sacrifices.
    That's just silly. All players make significant sacrifices to play inter county in some form and saying that any who feel they are shouldn't be there is ridiculous as by feeling they are making a sacrifice can incentivise many....
    Many who feel they are making "sacrifices" will desperately want to be there....
    tipp has a strong football tradition kilkenny dont, most of the tipp hurlers play a scerten level of competitive club football let alone inter county, kilkenny gaa is focused fully on one game and makes no bones of it thats there thing you cant copy another county
    Do most of the hurlers really play some level of competitive club football?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tipp haven't been unbeatable and wouldn't be "unbeatable" even if the guys playing gaelic who are also talented hurlers concentrated solely on hurling

That's just silly. All players make significant sacrifices to play inter county in some form and saying that any who feel they are shouldn't be there is ridiculous as by feeling they are making a sacrifice can incentivise many....
    Many who feel they are making "sacrifices" will desperately want to be there....
    tipp has a strong football tradition kilkenny dont, most of the tipp hurlers play a scerten level of competitive club football let alone inter county, kilkenny gaa is focused fully on one game and makes no bones of it thats there thing you cant copy another county
    Do most of the hurlers really play some level of competitive club football?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I am not a fan of the word sacrifice being used in terms of sport. If you make the choice that you want to play sport at a certain elite level, you make the choice to lead a certain type of life-style.
    Technically I guess it is the correct term, but there is an implication that it is an act of selflessness to give up so much in terms of life-style, when it is not a selfless choice.

I think we underestimate how much is involved with inter-county hurling these times. Its professional in all but pay. There is an astonishing amount of time devoted by playing and management personnel alike. While we are all tucked up at night in front of our hot fires these lads are facing long commutes to training in harsh weather such as tonight. A county such as our own for example where many have to work away from home and as a result if they are good enough to play county they face many commutes from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc

I honestly dunno how some of them do it. The last thing i would want to think about after a long day in work is doing press ups in cold weather tbh.

robbiezero wrote: »
    but there is an implication that it is an act of selflessness to give up so much in terms of life-style, when it is not a selfless choice.

sacrifice
    An act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy

You could extend that logic to any situation where there's a 'sacrifice'. We're talking about amateur players here. They obviously love the game otherwise they wouldn't/couldn't do it. Only one team can win 'liam' any year so our lads know a fair bit about falling short and they're in good company!

Extend your logic to academic life...
    One lad head out with the lads, plays sports, watches sh1te on tv etc.. gets 300 points in the leaving and does some boll0x course in college like arts...you know yourself..
    another lad makes 'sacrifices' in terms of social life and free time, studies hard, gets the points for medicine cos his folks make 'sacrifices' and pay for him to hit a grind school. His buddies are out 3 or 4 nights a week but he's 'sacrificing' again studying, becomes a gp and earns a nice wedge....and dont tell me the birds dont like a fella with cash;) He's doing it for selfish reasons. I'm not putting him on a pedestal but i'd respect him for the 'sacrifices' made along the way.

whether a fella 'sacrifices' a nice car for a nice house, or a pro sportsman or an amateur 'sacrifice' their time or the lad following an academic path, they all make sacrifices to varying degrees. nobody forces someone to be a doctor for example. they do it because they're incredibly dedicated and made the necessary sacrifices.

I know the tyrell thing might be a bit tongue in cheek but it shows that bit of a hard mentality....always looking at the bigger picture.

https://twitter.com/adrianeames1/status/521298805686566912

Look, I get the point, it is a huge commitment of time and life-style for an amateur sport.
    I just don't like the use of the word sacrifice because sometimes I get the impression that when it is used, that it is intended to indicate that "Ye (the supporters) should be grateful, we are doing all this work and giving up the best years of our lives for ye",
    I could say I sacrifice 40+ hours of my week to go and work, but who would give a crap and I feel the same when I hear sports people talk about sacrifices.

Brian Cody on sacrifices:
    "And we have players who are prepared to do whatever it takes. But doing whatever it takes is enjoyment. This is not a sacrifice. This is their sporting lives, they’re in their twenties and they can play hurling for ‘x’ number of years. Some are fortunate enough to get to play at the highest possible level – and that is not tough. It’s a pleasure"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

I think we underestimate how much is involved with inter-county hurling these times. Its professional in all but pay. There is an astonishing amount of time devoted by playing and management personnel alike. While we are all tucked up at night in front of our hot fires these lads are facing long commutes to training in harsh weather such as tonight. A county such as our own for example where many have to work away from home and as a result if they are good enough to play county they face many commutes from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, etc

I honestly dunno how some of them do it. The last thing i would want to think about after a long day in work is doing press ups in cold weather tbh.

The work done by the people in the background even is huge.

Home from work they come and straight into more work, constantly on the phone, making arrangements and answering any queries players may have.

Weekends taken up by training and matches, as said above it's as professional as it gets without it actually being professional technically.

The county teams set up nowadays is on a par with many professional teams, journey routes timed, special requests in hotels, special requests at training, gear needed and handed out asap. Didn't know how much was involved till I saw it myself.

I am not a fan of the word sacrifice being used in terms of sport. If you make the choice that you want to play sport at a certain elite level, you make the choice to lead a certain type of life-style.
    Technically I guess it is the correct term, but there is an implication that it is an act of selflessness to give up so much in terms of life-style, when it is not a selfless choice.

I am happy to see so many posters in broad agreement with the point I was making.................whatever choices made, just represent a change in life style, and of courses all choices made, are ultimately made out of self interest, which is only intelligent as " If you cannot be there for yourself you cannot be there for anyone else.

I am happy to see so many posters in broad agreement with the point I was making................./QUOTE]

All 2! Good man.
    With those kind of sums Alan Kelly will be calling you up for his election spinning:D

I am happy to see so many posters in broad agreement with the point I was making................./QUOTE]

All 2! Good man.
    With those kind of sums Alan Kelly will be calling you up for his election spinning:D

Sorry, but I try to keep Sport and Politics separate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

The players do make sacrifices, they are just sacrifices with a very small s.

Sorry, but I try to keep Sport and Politics separate.

At least our sportspeople provide some inspiration

All 2! Good man.

Ah now, leave Alan alone he delivered on the bus shelters ;):D

The players do make sacrifices, they are just sacrifices with a very small s.

This is the point I think. I don't think I am disagreeing with anyone's point. Where the word sacrifice is used to indicate "Giving up X to try to achieve Y", then sports people certainly do make sacrifices.
    I just think the use of the word sacrifice in this context devalues it, similar to what clickbait sites have done to the word "EPIC" or Munster rugby fans have done to the word "legend".
    Sacrifice in this context could be applied to almost anything from trying to lose weight, to marathon training, to just going to work.

Ah now, leave Alan alone he delivered on the bus shelters ;):D

Could badly do with one, just for getting to and back from matches (of course) in Thurles, from Limerick Junction.:o

This is the point I think. I don't think I am disagreeing with anyone's point. Where the word sacrifice is used to indicate "Giving up X to try to achieve Y", then sports people certainly do make sacrifices.
    I just think the use of the word sacrifice in this context devalues it, similar to what clickbait sites have done to the word "EPIC" or Munster rugby fans have done to the word "legend".
    Sacrifice in this context could be applied to almost anything from trying to lose weight, to marathon training, to just going to work.

From the point of view of family relationships i think that sacrifices are made by GAA players. lads can be away from the home arguably 10-16 hours a day between work and training. In these times there is huge will power involved as the Jackie Tyrell example proved. And above all there is no money involved from playing the sport. Of course there is endorsements but no actual salary or appearance fees. From that point of view i think sacrifice is an apt term to describe what these lads are doing.

Or in the words of Jackie Tyrell "Not taking the biscuit"
    Jackie Tyrell re sacrifices: 'When you'd like to have a biscuit, You stop and think there's a fella in Clare and he's not having a biscuit'!

No sacrifice there either, when he puts the packet of biscuits back in the press. The feel good factor more than compensates

Getting to the top of every sport requires the intelligence and determination, at a very young age, to make sacrifices that others are not able to or haven't figured out, to get to the top. Hard work on your skills and sleep, while others are having fun. Unless, you're a genetic freak - but, if you're not making sacrifices you won't make it or keep making it regardless of genetics.

Even, it's just giving up going to teenage discos to get the shift and a flagon of cider.

As John Carroll once said,
    'People don't realise, I have to fit 12 months drinking into 3 months.'

Or in the words of Jackie Tyrell "Not taking the biscuit"
    Jackie Tyrell re sacrifices: 'When you'd like to have a biscuit, You stop and think there's a fella in Clare and he's not having a biscuit'!

No sacrifice their either when he puts the packet of biscuits back in the press. The feel good factor more than compensates

Me or you have that biscuit and no one gives a shít, jackie tyrell has that biscuit and it could lead to another, and another and another and before you know it his reputation is in tatters because he is out of condition and Cody throws him off the panel. Forsaking the little things in life that we have the luxury of consuming is something an intercounty player has to do. Sounds easy but it isnt. Jackie Tyrell said last year that he has heard of intercounty players with <10% body fat which is phenomenal. Many of the Arsenal players and staff were shocked at the level of fitness of Graham Geraghty back in 1994 when he had a trial there

• Advertisement

Getting to the top of every sport requires the intelligence and determination, at a very young age, to make sacrifices that others are not able to or haven't figured out, to get to the top. Hard work on your skills and sleep, while others are having fun. Unless, you're a genetic freak - but, if you're not making sacrifices you won't make it or keep making it regardless of genetics.

Even, it's just giving up going to teenage discos to get the shift and a flagon of cider.

As John Carroll once said,
    'People don't realise, I have to fit 12 months drinking into 3 months.'

:D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement