Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

to be called a sacrifice it means giving up of a much valued Y to get less valued X.
    But if you want X over Y anyway, its not a sacrifice.

if m ryan told the tipp squad training would be once a week until April and than going up to twice a week.
    Would the tipp players thank him as it allows them a more balanced lifestyle?
    Not a hope, players WANT to train hard so they can be bigger and faster and through this work be successful.

All those digestives tyrell has turned down over the years, and the sad part is only his Leinster medals are edible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

to be called a sacrifice it means giving up of a much valued Y to get less valued X.
    But if you want X over Y anyway, its not a sacrifice.

if m ryan told the tipp squad training would be once a week until April and than going up to twice a week.
    Would the tipp players thank him as it allows them a more balanced lifestyle?
    Not a hope, players WANT to train hard so they can be bigger and faster and through this work be successful.

All those digestives tyrell has turned down over the years, and the sad part is only his Leinster medals are edible.
    If only life was a straight forward mathematical equation where people are right and wrong. It's a spectrum of different shades - and sacrifice falls into that same category of relativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I can only assume people saying there is no sacrifice required for reaching the top have never played sport to any sort of level. Absolutely ridiculous.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I can only assume people saying there is no sacrifice required for reaching the top have never played sport to any sort of level. Absolutely ridiculous.

Your assumption is incorrect !

But not entirely so, as some sports people sacrifice the body by pouring in and swallowing loads of poisons and toxins just to get a place on the podium so that a shiny piece of metal can be hung around their neck from a string.

At the moment I am sacrificing my lovely cosy fire and missing my favourite TV programmes while I am down here in the local bookmakers on this filthy cold rotten miserable evening doing my head in just trying to pick a few winners!

Do you know what? I don't think it's worth it.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

i think if posters here really think about it they will agree that it is the family, loved ones and co workers who make the sacrifices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

i think if posters here really think about it they will agree that it is the family, loved ones and co workers who make the sacrifices.

I would not agree. Lots of Trophy Hunters around who know full well what they are getting into.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I would not agree. Lots of Trophy Hunters around who know full well what they are getting into.

Now that I would agree with. Peter Canavan mentioned in an article of all Ireland final pre and aftermath back in sept about the new relationships that would develop around final time that would suddenly fizzle out post team holiday

Slight change to the shc from 2017. From what I gather, the 4 roinn 2 winners cannot advance to the knockout stage unless they win their division. Essentially this more or less creates a senior b grade.

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/tipperary-championship-2016-motions/

Kearns ratified. Tommy Toomey involved with all of our intercounty football teams from minor to senior next year

Full Credit for his passion and commitment
    https://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/59951/0/

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Kearns ratified. Tommy Toomey involved with all of our intercounty football teams from minor to senior next year

Full Credit for his passion and commitment
    https://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/59951/0/

Too much to take on , involved with 4 Squads . Hastings Cup Under 21 Football starts early January and it`s all go from then on :rolleyes: ! Brian Lacey to get involved with the Seniors in March , has Family commitments at the moment .

• Advertisement

Too much to take on , involved with 4 Squads . Hastings Cup Under 21 Football starts early January and it`s all go from then on :rolleyes: ! Brian Lacey to get involved with the Seniors in March , has Family commitments at the moment .

Your right it probably is too much balls to juggle but Tommy's passion for Tipp football is immense. If we could get personnel involved in the hurling with half the desire and interest we'd be laughing. And he done such a tremendous job with the u21's last year

A lot of nonsense gets typed on this thread from time to time, particularly about Tipperary players and their value,skill, standard, and heart. A lot of sense, from a man who has had first hand experience of their abilities many times, spoken here by Michael Fennelly, from a piece in The Examiner:

Michael Fennelly has paid tribute to his recently retired Tipperary peers, after a succession of announcements saw three great men the Kilkenny midfielder had often marked quit the inter-county scene in the space of five days.
    Shane McGrath, James Woodlock and Conor O Mahony all played a centre-field role in Tipperary s All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Galway and would be well acquainted with their Kilkenny counterpart from their long-running and career-defining rivalry.
    Fennelly and Kilkenny stood between Tipperary and All-Ireland senior glory on numerous occasions, as well as at U21 level, where Fennelly came between that trio and the Cross of Cashel in 2004 (for McGrath and O Mahony) and 2006 (for Woodlock).
    I d have marked the three of them at different stages, probably Shane McGrath the most and Woodlock as well, said Fennelly. They re three great men and any time you were going out against the three of them, you were always a bit anxious about how it was going to go. Conor O Mahony was one of the top centre-backs for a period during the noughties and they were great men for Tipperary.

They got to a good few All-Irelands and we probably pipped them at the post a few times. Those games could ve gone either way. The margins of winning can be so small and those days they were very small.
    They could ve had three, four or five All-Irelands at this stage and we might only have two or three, so it s small margins like that.

A lot of nonsense gets typed on this thread from time to time, particularly about Tipperary players and their value,skill, standard, and heart. A lot of sense, from a man who has had first hand experience of their abilities many times, spoken here by Michael Fennelly, from a piece in The Examiner:

Michael Fennelly has paid tribute to his recently retired Tipperary peers, after a succession of announcements saw three great men the Kilkenny midfielder had often marked quit the inter-county scene in the space of five days.
    Shane McGrath, James Woodlock and Conor O Mahony all played a centre-field role in Tipperary s All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Galway and would be well acquainted with their Kilkenny counterpart from their long-running and career-defining rivalry.
    Fennelly and Kilkenny stood between Tipperary and All-Ireland senior glory on numerous occasions, as well as at U21 level, where Fennelly came between that trio and the Cross of Cashel in 2004 (for McGrath and O Mahony) and 2006 (for Woodlock).
    I d have marked the three of them at different stages, probably Shane McGrath the most and Woodlock as well, said Fennelly. They re three great men and any time you were going out against the three of them, you were always a bit anxious about how it was going to go. Conor O Mahony was one of the top centre-backs for a period during the noughties and they were great men for Tipperary.

They got to a good few All-Irelands and we probably pipped them at the post a few times. Those games could ve gone either way. The margins of winning can be so small and those days they were very small.
    They could ve had three, four or five All-Irelands at this stage and we might only have two or three, so it s small margins like that.

He is very gracious in victory, which is very easy for him considering he has never lost to tipp in the championship.
    Isolate His last sentence and that sums up what he and every kk player and supporter really think, they do not respect nor rate Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

He is very gracious in victory, which is very easy for him considering he has never lost to tipp in the championship.
    Isolate His last sentence and that sums up what he and every kk player and supporter really think, they do not respect nor rate Tipp.

Is a real "Sher what else was he going to say" article.
    The only game against them that we could have won was last years drawn All-Ireland.
    They were the better team in 2011, 2012, 2013 and in the replay in 2014. 2009 was a close one and we played really well, but we weren't quite the finished article that we were in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

robbiezero wrote: »
    The only game against them that we could have won was last years drawn All-Ireland.
    They were the better team in 2011, 2012, 2013 and in the replay in 2014. 2009 was a close one and we played really well, but we weren't quite the finished article that we were in 2010.

Just to say, I am not one of those that questions the player's heart or ability. We endured the same second half in last years All-Ireland as Galway did in this years, and our lads did not down tools and fought to the bitter end, playing an unfamiliar style of game on Kilkennys terms with a tactical set up that was not equippend to win a game like that.
    We still came within a score of getting something out of that game however undeserved it might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Nice piece here on Lar and how he developed as a goal assassin. Sport can be hard at times, if his shot that rocked the crossbar in the 2014 drawn final had of gone in he probably could have finished on a high.

A great player to watch for the neutral, capable of anything at any time.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/lar-developed-into-the-ultimate-hurling-assassin/1294316/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Just heard on newstalks off the ball that they're gonna have a 'Tipperary hurling panel' tomorrow. Didn't say what time but they usually hav the 'panel' on at 2. I'm guessing they'll have our recent retirees. If so it'll probably be the last we hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

digzy wrote: »
    Just heard on newstalks off the ball that they're gonna have a 'Tipperary hurling panel' tomorrow. Didn't say what time but they usually hav the 'panel' on at 2. I'm guessing they'll have our recent retirees. If so it'll probably be the last we hear from them.

Seniors are meeting up tomorrow anyway so it will start coming out who's in and out more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Nice piece here on Lar and how he developed as a goal assassin. Sport can be hard at times, if his shot that rocked the crossbar in the 2014 drawn final had of gone in he probably could have finished on a high.

A great player to watch for the neutral, capable of anything at any time.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/sport/lar-developed-into-the-ultimate-hurling-assassin/1294316/

Eddie Brennan with 26 goals from 48 appearances wasn't too far off the strike rate of Lar

robbiezero wrote: »

Way too simplistic...there was three points between them in 2014...the 2013 game was very close too.

I don't think so - i think it was a genuine observation of players he had played against - players he had played tough games against and Tipp ran them way closer than any other team. So, it's only natural he has most respect for those players...- its just complete logic - they were hammering other teams out the gate. It was KK's main rivalry - it's quite an obvious statement to make. It's just logical.

• Advertisement

You know what Michael Fennelly thinks? He doesn't respect or rate Tipp? The team that pushed him most and the players that pushed him most? The two teams that played the most exciting games in hurling since I don't know when? And, he doesn't respect or rate Tipp?

Are you for real?

You know what Michael Fennelly thinks? He doesn't respect or rate Tipp? The team that pushed him most and the players that pushed him most? The two teams that played the most exciting games in hurling since I don't know when? And, he doesn't respect or rate Tipp?

Are you for real?

well i did say him, other players and supporters.
    The truth hurts, you never fully respect what you do not fully fear.
    even when shane mcgrath retires, fennelly wont let him have the spotlight, he justs gives a short interview reminding everyone who has the most medals.
    dont be so naive.

Are you for real?

even when shane mcgrath retires, fennelly wont let him have the spotlight, he justs gives a short interview reminding everyone who has the most medals.
    dont be so naive.
    Oh right, you know what fennelly, other players and all teh fans think too? Hahahahah Come on, lad! Bit paranoid now? I've never seen KK play better than when they play Tipp - fact. Why? Because they fear, respect, and admire them. Yes, admire. It drips off everything they do when they play Tipp. They never make or change their or tactics like they do when they play Tipp. I'm not assuming what other people think here - I'm just on going on the facts on performances on the pitch.

Oh right, you know what fennelly, other players and all teh fans think too? Hahahahah Come on, lad! Bit paranoid now? I've never seen KK play better than when they play Tipp - fact. Why? Because they fear, respect, and admire them. Yes, admire. It drips off everything they do when they play Tipp. They never make or change their or tactics like they do when they play Tipp. I'm not assuming what other people think here - I'm just on going on the facts on performances on the pitch.

Have you ever met anyone from kk - player or supporter.
    On a whole they do NOT admire, respect nor rate Tipp hurling.
    sorry to bust your bubble.

Anyone who wants to know the kk hurling mentality should cast your minds back to 2009 all ireland aftermath, sheedy and cody at the all stars did an interview together where Cody was full of admiration for the losing tipp team.
    2010 that interview on RTE was not repeated, but than tipp won that year.

this admiration and respect codology is a one way street with kk, they will give you as much as you can carry as long as their winning.

john mulhall said pog mo thoin to tipp at 2011 homecoming and every kk player and supporter that night roared approval, is that the admiration your talking about.
    I will say it again, stop being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

dont be so naive.

Tipperary have been our greatest rivals in the last six years, we have been slightly the better team over that period. So, to say Kilkenny do not rate or respect Tipp would mean they didn't rate or respect themselves. Tipp play hurling the way it is meant to be played and any true hurling fan would admire that - even though I can never bring myself to rewatch the 2010 AI final

blackcard wrote: »
    Tipperary have been our greatest rivals in the last six years, we have been slightly the better team over that period. So, to say Kilkenny do not rate or respect Tipp would mean they didn't rate or respect themselves. Tipp play hurling the way it is meant to be played and any true hurling fan would admire that - even though I can never bring myself to rewatch the 2010 AI final

I work with kk people, they do not rate nor respect Tipp or anyone else for that matter.
    You are confusing patronising with respect.

the following are just 2 examples of kk disrespect:
    1. Look at this years all ireland, the KK fans ran out of the place.
    2. 2014, the day both sets of fans on leaving Croke Park behaved as if they had lost.

Its easy say you respect and rate Tipp when you are constantly winning, but its not the interviews, the speeches, the tosh talk that shows respect.
    The day a kk fan like you says the opposite of your above post, than we will really have your respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

john mulhall said pog mo thoin to tipp at 2011 homecoming and every kk player and supporter that night roared approval, is that the admiration your talking about. I will say it again, stop being naive.

Same player never played for kk again i dont think because of that disrespect so obviously not everyone there that night agreed.

buggy beag wrote: »
    Same player never played for kk again i dont think because of that disrespect so obviously not everyone there that night agreed.

The reason he never played for Cody again was it would have been used as ammo against kk so cody gave him the bullet.
    That night in 2011, I know 2 tipp men who were at that homecoming, tipp men living in kk, and they said the atmosphere that night was very jingoistic and the the biggest roar was for Mulhalls comments and the kk players were roaring just as loud in appreciation.

It was probably the only time kk real feelings were put on public display, and Cody was raging and used good PR to stop the story getting legs.
    But it did happen.

Respect is only possible among equals, and until we savage kk like they did to us in 2012 or beat them in 2 or more all irelands than kk players/supporters will never respect us.

The reason he never played for Cody again was it would have been used as ammo against kk so cody gave him the bullet.
    That night in 2011, I know 2 tipp men who were at that homecoming, tipp men living in kk, and they said the atmosphere that night was very jingoistic and the the biggest roar was for Mulhalls comments and the kk players were roaring just as loud in appreciation.

That, and allegedly pissing up against a cop car after a night out at some stage :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Best of luck to Commercials tomorrow , great to see them win a first Munster Football Club Title for the County .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement