Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

There`s not much between Commercials , Arravale and Moyle Rovers . However Commercials success at Underage , 6 County Under 16`s in a row and going for 6 at Minor as well gives them an edge . I would fear that they could dominate Tipp Senior Football for a long time to come .

shure they've some pick, compared even to aherlow...
    Greatest ever day in tipp club football. even munster club titles for our hurlers are rare enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Great win for Commercials but do people think their involvement later in the year might affect the County's team performances next year. Some of our main men won't get a rest between seasons at all

OAOB wrote: »
    Great win for Commercials but do people think their involvement later in the year might affect the County's team performances next year. Some of our main men won't get a rest between seasons at all

good point. though it didn't seem to affect the ballyhale lads too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

He is some assassin. Give him 2-3 years he'll be every bit as good as Diarmuid Connolly

to be fair to him he is only 22 connelly is nearly 30. i believe he is better now then what connelly was 6 or 7 years ago , had to laugh at the goal he got at the end though great Finnish but plenty of luck was needed just to win possession , nice to see the under dog get the rub of the green though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

to be fair to him he is only 22 connelly is nearly 30. i believe he is better now then what connelly was 6 or 7 years ago , had to laugh at the goal he got at the end though great Finnish but plenty of luck was needed just to win possession , nice to see the under dog get the rub of the green though

The same guy got two goals against Kerry in the first round of the championship played in Thurles this year. I believe it caused Kerry to have a closer look at their defence.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    good point. though it didn't seem to affect the ballyhale lads too much!

I wish our footballers had the strength in depth of KK hurling but the reality is some of our main players are with Commercials and if they get a good run (which i hope they do) in the club championship then the county team will be weakened.

I think our footballers badly need to get up to division 2 to maintain progress and that means we need to be winning our early games next year

The London champions, Tír Chonaill Gaels face Clonmel Commercials in the All-Ireland quarter-final and this year's clash is scheduled for December 13 in Ruislip, with Munster due up on the rotational system. Tír Chonaill Gaels won the London title for the second year in a row on Sunday, defeating St Kiernan's in the decider on a scoreline of 3-10 to 1-12.

Newly crowned Munster senior football club champions Clonmel Commercials toasted the sweetest victory in their history, but the Tipperary men are in action again on December 13.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Lar Corbett on off the ball in studio tonight (newstalk)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Xenophile wrote: »
    The London champions, Tír Chonaill Gaels face Clonmel Commercials in the All-Ireland quarter-final and this year's clash is scheduled for December 13 in Ruislip, with Munster due up on the rotational system. Tír Chonaill Gaels won the London title for the second year in a row on Sunday, defeating St Kiernan's in the decider on a scoreline of 3-10 to 1-12.

Newly crowned Munster senior football club champions Clonmel Commercials toasted the sweetest victory in their history, but the Tipperary men are in action again on December 13.

Match is on Sat Dec 12th at 1.30 vs Tir Conaill Gaels, venue Ruislip.

According to westside, Denis Maher has been omitted. What an utterly stupid omission if so. He has been brilliant for SARS all year and deserves to be given a gym program at the very least and also the chance to play himself off the squad

• Advertisement

According to westside, Denis Maher has been omitted. What an utterly stupid omission if so. He has been brilliant for SARS all year and deserves to be given a gym program at the very least and also the chance to play himself off the squad

New management, new philosophy, new approach and that's the way it should be.

Thurles Sarsfields found themselves a man down at the throw in, in the Munster Club against Cratloe in Sept 2014 and we all know who that man was.

In this game no future for players that can be a high risk to a team to have to play with fourteen men.

Thurles Sarsfields found themselves a man down at the throw in, in the Munster Club against Cratloe in Sept 2014 and we all know who that man was.

In this game no future for players that can be a high risk to a team to have to play with fourteen men.

Bull. He is one of Sars better performers and he was fantastic for them this year. And he is a ball winner which we are crying out for and this is completely in line with this so called philosophy or policy that Ryan is being perceived to be implementing. He's a lot more worthy of a place then some of the lads called up who have proved absolutely fúck all for club and county. There is a couple of lads from Borrisilleagh called up and they are highly regarded for what i dont know. One couldnt make the u21 team and the other was poor at both minor and u21. Im not a Thurles man or even a mid Tipp man but omitting Maher is a contradiction of this so called 'change of philosophy' and putting his own mark on things. It would seem politics are more at play here then philosophy or logic.

And what of that incident v Cratloe? Do we punish him for all times because of it? Many felt he was unlucky to get the red and that the ref was a shambles that day. Ive seen it and i remember thinking the ref has lost the plot. By your logic Benny Dunne should never have wore the blue and gold again for one mistake in 2009.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Peter Acheson , Steven O’Brien and Michael Quinlivan on the Munster Football Panel to play Leinster next Saturday in the InterPro`s in Newry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Denis Maher's omission is a bizarre decision. He offers a different style and is arguably the only ball winner we have in the forwards. Ryan clearly has an idea about some guys already from being involved. I think we need a fresh approach. The decision to appoint Ryan was a massive sidestep and the continuation of a failed management team.

I was hoping to see Pa Bourke get another look in next year. That's not going to happen under Ryan. Pa has improved since his omission and then banishing.

glued wrote: »
    Denis Maher's omission is a bizarre decision. He offers a different style and is arguably the only ball winner we have in the forwards. Ryan clearly has an idea about some guys already from being involved. I think we need a fresh approach. The decision to appoint Ryan was a massive sidestep and the continuation of a failed management team.

I was hoping to see Pa Bourke get another look in next year. That's not going to happen under Ryan. Pa has improved since his omission and then banishing.

And lets face it to be honest there was far worse then Pa left on the panel. People have short memories. Pa was excellent for us in 2012 when very few stood up to the plate. He was also a terrific sub in some huge games. 2010 quarter final and he made an impact in the disappointing 2011 final when the whole team was flat as a pancake.

If right was right also, everyone should get a fresh crack of the whip no matter who they are. A new start a fresh beginning. Give every player in Tipp the chance to prove that they are more worthy of a place on the panel then the next man. Brian Cody tried 70 players during this period in 2014 and gradually whittled his panel down over the course of the year. Cody isn't interested in politics or bullshít - just results. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case here.

If only we could find a man who could run things with an iron fist similar to the way Cody or Donal O'Grady are capable of doing things.

If right was right also, everyone should get a fresh crack of the whip no matter who they are. A new start a fresh beginning. Give every player in Tipp the chance to prove that they are more worthy of a place on the panel then the next man. Brian Cody tried 70 players during this period in 2014 and gradually whittled his panel down over the course of the year. Cody isn't interested in politics or bullshít - just results. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case here.

If only we could find a man who could run things with an iron fist similar to the way Cody or Donal O'Grady are capable of doing things.

In fairness KK have a larger hurling budget than us so could afford to bring in 70 lads. We have to be smarter with our money so don't have the luxury of doing that.

With regard to Denis Maher, i've never been convinced that he's good enough but he does flash moments that would make you think he's worth developing. To me he's never looked like he has the speed for intercounty

OAOB wrote: »
    In fairness KK have a larger hurling budget than us so could afford to bring in 70 lads. We have to be smarter with our money so don't have the luxury of doing that.

With regard to Denis Maher, i've never been convinced that he's good enough but he does flash moments that would make you think he's worth developing. To me he's never looked like he has the speed for intercounty

Tim Floyd is doing well out of Tipperary GAA from what i hear and now Liam Kearns is said to be on a kings ransom. We're twice the size of county with a vast amount of club games being played. Thurles receives many games throughout the year also. Where is all of this money going?

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Kearns gets his first crack at his native County in Mid January :

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/mcgrath-cup-football/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Babs has gone on the war path again - but, it's a lot of harder than usual....

http://www.the42.ie/babs-keating-tipperary-2482964-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Triboro

http://www.the42.ie/babs-keating-tipperary-2482964-Dec2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

Seems to have a chip on his shoulder there!
    Everyone's wrong except Babs.

Talk about planting a lovely garden and rampaging through it an idiotic fit.

The poster Kenneth made the fairest post at the bottom of the page in the comments section

Tbf to babs , he's more entitled than most to voice his opinion.
    I don't agree with him on much but he's done a lot for Tipp hurling.
    In any argument there's 2 sides. Tbf to him while he may seem bitter he's not ranting complete nonsense either.

I'd see his point regarding all the trips. It's an amateur game and I don't see why lads are carted off here and there. I'd rather the money spent either go to the players or re invested in clubs.

digzy wrote: »
    Tbf to babs , he's more entitled than most to voice his opinion.
    I don't agree with him on much but he's done a lot for Tipp hurling.
    In any argument there's 2 sides. Tbf to him while he may seem bitter he's not ranting complete nonsense either.

I'd see his point regarding all the trips. It's an amateur game and I don't see why lads are carted off here and there. I'd rather the money spent either go to the players or re invested in clubs.

I thought he hit the nail on the head on certain things (re the Trips) but his disrespect toward Eoin Kelly and Cummins is well out of order.

He did do alot of fundraising in his time when GAA was less awash with money at the time (or so the suits would have us believe) and i do genuinely believe the man does love Tipperary hurling. However, his ego has manifested itself into something very unsavoury and bitter

Shane MCGrath's interview in the examiner today might hit home to a few misguided posters:

I don t think anyone does have a clue, outside the group itself, that hasn t done it himself in recent times at inter-county level. To the person who s saying this stuff, you d have to say: Right, on Monday morning you re going to go and live with this lad for three or four weeks. And you re going to do everything he does. And then, the next time you re watching him play, you might think twice about what you re saying .

Still, McGrath stresses the lack of animosity: There s huge respect between us and Kilkenny. Lester Ryan couldn t have been more appreciative of us going down for his father Tom s funeral. The Tyrrells had their own tragedy, where they lost a cousin to drowning. We made our way down to pay our respects to Jackie, to give him a mass card. I won Fitzgibbons with Jackie Tyrrell, a brilliant man.

[font=PT Sans, sans-serif]http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/the-shane-mcgrath-interview-pride-regret-and-kilkenny-369923.html[/font]

Bull. He is one of Sars better performers and he was fantastic for them this year. And he is a ball winner which we are crying out for and this is completely in line with this so called philosophy or policy that Ryan is being perceived to be implementing. He's a lot more worthy of a place then some of the lads called up who have proved absolutely fúck all for club and county. There is a couple of lads from Borrisilleagh called up and they are highly regarded for what i dont know. One couldnt make the u21 team and the other was poor at both minor and u21. Im not a Thurles man or even a mid Tipp man but omitting Maher is a contradiction of this so called 'change of philosophy' and putting his own mark on things. It would seem politics are more at play here then philosophy or logic.

And what of that incident v Cratloe? Do we punish him for all times because of it? Many felt he was unlucky to get the red and that the ref was a shambles that day. Ive seen it and i remember thinking the ref has lost the plot. By your logic Benny Dunne should never have wore the blue and gold again for one mistake in 2009.
    I don't think Denis Maher is a great player or capable of the level were looking for - All Ireland winning material at senior level - i don't think he was outstanding for Sars this year - struggled in some games and he is carrying a shoulder injury all summer. I don't think he has the engine or speed for the high end of intercounty - v the likes of KK, Galway, Waterford, and Clare...

While he is a big man - he is more on the flair side of a big man than a hard ball winning grafter like Bonner. I think he has actually regressed from his younger years when he was far more accurate...

I won't go lambasting Ryan just yet for the omission of one player - I'd imagine its an open ended panel... - up to Denis to produce performances that can't be ignored...he hasn't done that for me... - made a good cameo against Dublin a few year ago but I wouldn't be calling him an outstanding hurler just yet - and the time to be calling him potentially outstanding is fading...He needs to wake up in terms of his dedication - not that we;ve a right to ask him for more - it's just that other players are doing it to get to that level of outstanding inter county hurler...

Talk about planting a lovely garden and rampaging through it an idiotic fit.

The poster Kenneth made the fairest post at the bottom of the page in the comments section
    Babs is settling old scores alright - our very own Keano...

I'd take it with a pinch of salt...he couldn't get the players to play or commit to him - bottom line...

I'd take it with a pinch of salt...he couldn't get the players to play or commit to him - bottom line...

Did OTB even ask him about the wisdom in letting youngsters into the dressing room or the old ladies on the feckin team bus? Fact is his outlook on training and preparation is completely dated. He referred to the ice baths as 'the ice bath thingy's' such was his interest and knowledge of certain rehabilitation methods. His whole argument was 'everyone was wrong in 2006 bar me wah wah wah'.

Yes he done alot of work and has his good points from what I hear but is very strong headed and egotistical. No self awareness apparent.

And his criticism of Cummins puckout strategy reminds me of that old episode of the Simpsons where Mr Burns has brought in MLB stars of the time to play for the Nuclear Power plant instead of Homer and the regular workers but continously insisted on telling one of them to 'shave his sideburns' even though he had none.

As for his second in command, everywhere he has gone there has been friction. Just ask the ladies footballers who got to an all ireland final in 2013 only to be battered with a skeleton panel 1 year later due to an en masse walkout.

I don't think Denis Maher is a great player or capable of the level were looking for - All Ireland winning material at senior level - i don't think he was outstanding for Sars this year - struggled in some games and he is carrying a shoulder injury all summer. I don't think he has the engine or speed for the high end of intercounty - v the likes of KK, Galway, Waterford, and Clare...

While he is a big man - he is more on the flair side of a big man than a hard ball winning grafter like Bonner. I think he has actually regressed from his younger years when he was far more accurate...

I won't go lambasting Ryan just yet for the omission of one player - I'd imagine its an open ended panel... - up to Denis to produce performances that can't be ignored...he hasn't done that for me... - made a good cameo against Dublin a few year ago but I wouldn't be calling him an outstanding hurler just yet - and the time to be calling him potentially outstanding is fading...He needs to wake up in terms of his dedication - not that we;ve a right to ask him for more - it's just that other players are doing it to get to that level of outstanding inter county hurler...

And who is better? Gearoid Ryan? Dan McCormack? Conor Kenny? Seany Curran? There is no way either or any of those offer much more if they even do offer anything more. Im hearing from people how Denis isnt up to it without hearing just who is up to this so called unbelievable standard we are setting. Any game i've seen Denis in he has performed very well for us. The league final in particular springs to mind. He got two points from Cillian Buckley and the minute he was taken off Buckley stormed into the game.

• Advertisement

Did OTB even ask him about the wisdom in letting youngsters into the dressing room or the old ladies on the feckin team bus? Fact is his outlook on training and preparation is completely dated. He referred to the ice baths as 'the ice bath thingy's' such was his interest and knowledge of certain rehabilitation methods. His whole argument was 'everyone was wrong in 2006 bar me wah wah wah'.

Yes he done alot of work and has his good points from what I hear but is very strong headed and egotistical. No self awareness apparent.

And his criticism of Cummins puckout strategy reminds me of that old episode of the Simpsons where Mr Burns has brought in MLB stars of the time to play for the Nuclear Power plant instead of Homer and the regular workers but continously insisted on telling one of them to 'shave his sideburns' even though he had none.

As for his second in command, everywhere he has gone there has been friction. Just ask the ladies footballers who got to an all ireland final in 2013 only to be battered with a skeleton panel 1 year later due to an en masse walkout.
    I'll never forget the day John Leahy picked himself in goals against Toomevara - from his dive, pretending to be hit in the face by hurl from Franny Devaney, to waving a ball wide as it flew straight into the net...

That said, one of the best players I've ever seen play hurling - poetry in motion. But...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement